• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita 4GB 8GB 16GB & 32GB cards (picture)

AndyD said:
So just to clarify, there will be two memory slots on the Vita? One for a permanent card shown above and one for individual game cartridges? Same type, just two slots?
zfzRr.jpg

Two slots, different types.

Well it's likely the game slot has some form of copy protection running, so I imagine it can only read/save official games.

EDIT

I misread the question, ignore.

AndyD

aka andydumi
archnemesis said:
Two slots, different types.

Two slots, both proprietary and different from each other. Got it.

I guess they want to make sure the non game one is fast enough to support installed games, no cheap SD to ruin the experience.

lunlunqq

PSVita = TWO HUNDRED AND FORTY NINE US DOLLARS
PSV memory card = THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY US DOLLARS
Total = FIVE HUNDRED AND NINETY NINE US DOLLARS

1zoyx78.jpg

Well, it will be a waiting game to see what Sony decides to include in the $249 and $299 pack, because if they don't (which I doubt for some reason), then that would contribute to a hidden 'cost' to the console, given that people will want to download trailers, demos, etc. from PSN. This applies to games too, if they plan on selling them via PSN. How much the cost will be, I guess we'll have to wait on that.

If they end up being at least 700 MB/1GB, then including a basic 4 GB card may not be enough.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Should have known there was a catch 22. Price of entry could be closer to $300-350 for the cheapest model which still isn't all that bad for what you're getting.

If Nintendo can include a 2gb card with 3DS then Sony can certainly afford to throw in at least a 4GB card for Vita. A 4GB card is inadequate for the downloadable game store but at least you can save your games without shelling out an extra $25.

Come on Sony do the right thing. I would almost prefer them to raise the price to $300 and include the 32MB which is honestly the minimum you would want for a system like this. Does the $300 model include a mem card?

BadWolf

Sony has done so much right with the way its handling the system so far I wouldn't be surprised if they priced these very reasonably.

Shaheed79 said:
Should have known there was a catch 22. Price of entry could be closer to $300-350 for the cheapest model which still isn't all that bad for what you're getting.

If Nintendo can include a 2gb card with 3DS then Sony can certainly afford to throw in at least a 4GB card for Vita. A 4GB card is inadequate for the downloadable game store but at least you can save your games without shelling out an extra $25.

Come on Sony do the right thing. I would almost prefer them to raise the price to $300 and include the 32MB which is honestly the minimum you would want for a system like this. Does the $300 model include a mem card?
If save games is all a person would use it for, then it won't be a problem since save data is placed on the game cart directly. But if Sony wants PSN to take off on this thing, at least 4GB would be a good start.

Raistlin

King Cobra said:
Yes, also remember you are talking about a 5 year old device. For higher end android phones of today anything under class 6 will actually cripple performance of apps saved on to it. Do you really think that for the sake of $50 sony should just keep using old tech memory cards and potentially cause a bottleneck in the system?
Sure ... why not?

Let's have the same transfer speeds even though we're going from 32 MB (64 MB new models) to an expected 256+128 MB or 512+128 MB of RAM. Better yet, let's keep the same speed BD and DVD drives in the next PS and XBox when they go from 512MB to a few GB's.

What could possibly go wrong?

;)

RavenFox said:
Well they need to put out a 64gig. Even if two people buy it Ill be one of those two.
I'm sure they'll get there, but right now that seems beyond the capabilities of anyone to produce with high speeds in this form-factor. Hell, most companies are having serious issues with 32GB cards.

I fully expect tiers of Vitas

Year 1 - Base models
Year 2 - price drop for base model, introduction of internal memory Vita
Year 3 - Smaller Sized Vita

and so on.

They simply want to get the base model out there as soon as possible and for as cheap as possible.

I'm pretty sure you can save on the game carts, if you want to download psp games, yeah you'll have to pay a bit more probably, but the key for sony is the lowest price possible.

Look at Microsoft with the 360 Arcade, that is essentially what the PS Vita Wifi model is.

Things to say :

1) I think I'd need the 16gb one at the least, since my psp go only has 5gb left with the content I have on it.
2) I hope that case version of those pouches has at least 2-3 card slots in it
3) I hope the vita can charge while in that cradle e.g like the 3DS can
4) I want that Card Case

Raistlin

Alextended said:
Why would they even need that kind of speed? I mean, doesn't PS3 only read at like 9MB/s? And that can give us full HD streaming worlds depending on the game? Why would lower res assets as Vita is bound to use need more than twice that, sloppy development (like that PSP WWF game) aside?
Vita is expected to have RAM in an amount quite close to 360/PS3. Meaning, it has similar requirements for transfer rates.

So yeah, I'd hope the transfer rates are at least as fast as those consoles. Moreover, PS3 and 360 aren't exactly breaking record for load times to begin with. Not to mention people tend to have higher expectations for cart loading times than optical disc. So at worst, they better match the performance.

Do you honestly think it would be acceptable to most consumers if loading times were significantly worse than PS3/360? If they were to target the same rate as PSP ... you'd be looking at load times 5x worse than PS3/360 ... maybe worse.

PSP, 3DS, etc can get away with lower transfer rates because they have far less RAM and are running at way lower resolutions. As I've said before, this would be like arguing it's okay for the next generation of PS and Xbox to use the same BD and DVD drives they have now, even though they'll be increasing RAM by several times ... and with it, load times.

It would simply cripple performance.

Top Bottom