• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VITA Appreciation, Collecting and Homebrew Thread

Shinriji

Welcome to the PS VITA Appreciation, Collecting and Homebrew Thread.

Release Date:
JP: November 21, 2011 (24990 yen)
NA: February 29, 2012 ($250)

APPRECIATION:
  • Sleak and powerful hardware at the time
  • Best Dpad ever
  • Simple, functional and quick OS (bubbles is YMMW)
  • Retrocompatibility (with improvements) to PSP and PS1 digital games
  • All the modern game perks (Trophies / Cross buy and Cross save with several PS3 and PS4 games / Cross game chat / Friend list and game invites)
  • Free online
  • A LOT of games (most of them are indies, but there is something for everyone)
  • Expensive as hell memory cards
  • One of the most passionate fanbase ever, that liked to root for the underdog
  • It will be remembered fondly as one of the injust failures of gaming (just like the Saturn, Dreamcast, Neo Geo)
COLLECTING:
  • The system that started the current “Limited game printing” craze
  • The cute and small cartridges and beautiful packaging
  • The finite selection of games is make very possible to collect a full set
  • Awesome colors and special editions vitas
HOMEBREW
  • Almost all firmware can be hacked with a simple, user-friendly method
  • Common SD cards can be used as memory
  • Safe overclocking for better framerates and loading times
  • Custom patches for increased resolution and FPS caps
  • Easy account change to access DLC from other regions
  • Fan translations, emulation and useful apps

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
OLED or the new model? what's the better experience?
I'm going against the grain and saying the 2000 model (regular OLED). Form-factor is much better and the system is lighter overall. It uses a standard USB charging cable instead of the proprietary one on the OLED Vita (which matters for long-term life of the system).

I'm going against the grain and saying the 2000 model (regular OLED). Form-factor is much better and the system is lighter overall. It uses a standard USB charging cable instead of the proprietary one on the OLED Vita (which matters for long-term life of the system).

All of those factors, bar the USB connector which is a great boon, are rendered moot by this:

buypsvitaassistgrip%25255B6%25255D.jpg

PSvitagrip0.jpg

The Assist Grip is the name and it makes the OG Vita one of the best handhelds ever with its ergonomics and perfect balance in the hands plus DAT OLED!

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
All of those factors, bar the USB connector which is a great boon, are rendered moot by this:

buypsvitaassistgrip%25255B6%25255D.jpg

PSvitagrip0.jpg

The Assist Grip is the name and it makes the OG Vita one of the best handhelds ever with its ergonomics and perfect balance in the hands plus DAT OLED!
I'll see your assist grip and raise you this one for the 2000

Since the touchpads can often be mapped, this essentially adds L2/R2 triggers to your Vita.

Shinriji

If you care for image quality and a premium feel, go OLED. If you care about a lighter unit with a slight better battery life, go LCD.

My 3G oled launch unit is still working like a champ, no plans to upgrade.

Last edited:

Susurrus

I have a Blue OLED Vita that is still my treasure.
I also have a PSTV which gets use either random games or bringing my PS4 to my bedroom TV.

I had the OLED launch edition and it felt better over new Slim version with IPS which I have now after my first one died. Only positive upgrade it usb charger in slim versus Vita proprietary connector.

I like the 1000's heft, feels more solid but aside from the screen the 2000 is better at everything else. Longer batter, better form factor, the PS, Select, Start buttons are easier to press, and most importantly that change to USB. The cable for the 1000 not only limiting it's also seriously flimsy. I've gone through three of them cause they always fray and I've met quite a few users who've had the same problem. The 2000 also has much better accessories such as the one DunDunDunpachi posted since it adds L3/R3 while the best grip for 1000 only has L2/R2. There is cheap one that adds L3/R3 but it was terrible and broke within 2 weeks.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing GBA games on it more than anything else. A shame that most new physical games are basically visual novels.

I'll see your assist grip and raise you this one for the 2000

Since the touchpads can often be mapped, this essentially adds L2/R2 triggers to your Vita.

Feels like shit though, the Assist Grip is an absolute ergonomic dream as anyone who has used one will attest. Agree that the whole L2/R2 thing was a huge oversight though.

Was pondering on that a while back and how Sony really could've made the Vita into the Switch before Switch with a little bit more thought if they'd either placed a bit more effort on the whole streaming thing or (fanboy fantasy mode activated) created a portable that was actually capable of running PS4 code but rendering everything at a much lower resolution with less effects much like early PC games supported a basic computer, one upgraded to VGA and another with SVGA and a SoundBlaster.

That would've really been something else. As it stands only a handful of people have actually witnessed what must be the finest dpad ever to grace a console. In many ways the Vita is like a modern Dreamcast (except that might've had the worst dpad ever to grace a console) in the sense that those that "got it" won't let it go with a quickness because its just so quirky and charm laden.

To this day I don't understand why Sony ditched the perfect dpad of the Vita to instead go with the mediocre ones they went with on the DS4.

Ain't that the truth? Everything about it was perfect and it was even better than the GB Micro dpad which was the undisputed king before it. Oddly it seems that Nintendo never replicated the feel of that one after that niche handheld either, must be some kind of "thing" that totally dope yet underappreciated portable consoles are laced with the finest of input devices. I mean even the analog sticks on the Vita were perfect and they bought a new lease of life to so many PSP games.

Any chance we could do some pstv stuff too?
Ah, my Tactics Ogre box.

To this day I still load the game (and device) so that I can put on auto-battles on my TV in my home office because I like using is as a sort of muted ambient screensaver of sorts. ...It's a thing I do with a few games but GTA5 (has a nice idle camera) and Tactics Ogre probably the most common two.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I hope that a permanent version of a hack comes, one that is easier to use implement. A slick UI would be greatly appreciated.

Shinriji

HOMEBREW NEWS:

- Vitagrafix 2.5 test build release
- MGBA 0.7 released
- Doki Doki Literature Port released

For those that don't know Vitagrafix, it's a plugin that patches some games that increases resolution and remove framerate caps. Right now 30 or so games are supported, but the results are amazing.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
HOMEBREW NEWS:

- Vitagrafix 2.5 test build release
- MGBA 0.7 released
- Doki Doki Literature Port released

For those that don't know Vitagrafix, it's a plugin that patches some games that increases resolution and remove framerate caps. Right now 30 or so games are supported, but the results are amazing.
Do you need to overclock or how is this accomplished?

Shinriji

Do you need to overclock or how is this accomplished?
Overclocking isnt mandatory, but highly recommended, since increasing resolution without OC will tank the framerate.

With max OC and vitagrafix some games like GOW and Sly collection works very close to the ps2 counterparts.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It
Overclocking isnt mandatory, but highly recommended, since increasing resolution without OC will tank the framerate.

With max OC and vitagrafix some games like GOW and Sly collection works very close to the ps2 counterparts.
That's neat, bet it would really shine on a pstv

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I have one but I barely use it, gotta buy some more games. What are the must have games for the system?
Investigate them a bit first to see if they're up your alley, but Tearaway (platforming), Killzone: Mercenaries (FPS), Need for Speed: Most Wanted (racing), Uncharted: Golden Abyss (TPS), Persona 4 Golden (RPG), and Gravity Rush (action-adventure) are considered top games on the system. There's quite a lot of digital-only games to investigate, plus a lot of imports and niche RPGs.

It's a fun game library to search out on your own. There are so many unique, random titles that it's hard to recommend something without knowing more about your taste in games.

Investigate them a bit first to see if they're up your alley, but Tearaway (platforming), Killzone: Mercenaries (FPS), Need for Speed: Most Wanted (racing), Uncharted: Golden Abyss (TPS), Persona 4 Golden (RPG), and Gravity Rush (action-adventure) are considered top games on the system. There's quite a lot of digital-only games to investigate, plus a lot of imports and niche RPGs.

It's a fun game library to search out on your own. There are so many unique, random titles that it's hard to recommend something without knowing more about your taste in games.
Tearaway should be mandatory no matter your taste. You have to be really heartless to not appreciate what they did. Some of the magic is lost on the console port but Vita version is nothing but soul.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Tearaway should be mandatory no matter your taste. You have to be really heartless to not appreciate what they did. Some of the magic is lost on the console port but Vita version is nothing but soul.
I like what the PS4 version did and I view it as its own thing, kind of like Super Mario 64 vs Super Mario 64 DS.

3D platformers are hard to come by these days, so I own both versions. :p

The Vita version is more creative. It's probably the best combined-use of gyroscope, cameras, and touch screen on any handheld ever.

Last edited:

Mr Branding

So uhm, I have this huge wishlist/backlog for Vita and hope some of you guys help me out with my next purchases:

1. should I still get digital or hunt physical whenever I can? Since the Vita is officially dead now, I guess the PS Store will stop being a thing in the future.
2. I'm in a jrpg phase right about now and I have some cool entries I'm interested in. Which one of these should I get first: Oreshika, Ys 7, Ys Celceta or Vagrant Story?
3. I already have Rogue Legacy and from my research La Mulana Ex is kind of the same? Worth it?
4. As a huge character action fan, is Malicious Rebirth worth it? From the gameplay I've seen it kind of looks more akin to Soul Sacrifice (which I already own, and am kind of 'eh' on that)
5. Never got around to playing the classic Zelda games, but heard that Oceanhorn is kind of the same thing. Worth it?
6. Is Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus EVER on sale?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
1. should I still get digital or hunt physical whenever I can? Since the Vita is officially dead now, I guess the PS Store will stop being a thing in the future.
It's up to you. I guarantee that Vita collecting will only get more expensive in the future, in case that matters to you.

2. I'm in a jrpg phase right about now and I have some cool entries I'm interested in. Which one of these should I get first: Oreshika, Ys 7, Ys Celceta or Vagrant Story?
Vagrant Story.

3. I already have Rogue Legacy and from my research La Mulana Ex is kind of the same? Worth it?
Yes, worth it, but they are not similar games. Closer examples would be Castlevania Dracula X, Spelunky, and Risk of Rain.

4. As a huge character action fan, is Malicious Rebirth worth it? From the gameplay I've seen it kind of looks more akin to Soul Sacrifice (which I already own, and am kind of 'eh' on that)
I don't know.

5. Never got around to playing the classic Zelda games, but heard that Oceanhorn is kind of the same thing. Worth it?
It's okay. You're better off with something like Ys Celceta which you mentioned earlier.

6. Is Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus EVER on sale?
Dunno.

Last edited:
So, seeing this thread yesterday, i went out onto the ebay "Kleinanzeigen" app (don't know what the english version is called, in the end it's a direct secondhand market with direct contact) and got an 1104 in perfect condition for under 100 €. Was a bit sad, as i saw, that the firmware is 3.69, but then, oh hallelujah, I skipped the last update on my own old and a bit more worn 1004. So yeah, last night was a jailbreakfest. This little machine has the one game, that i at least play every few days: Binding of Isaac Rebirth. And I hate the fact, that Afterbirth and the other updates will never come to my favourite handheld.

But yeah, Emulation (if still a bit iffy) will get me hooked again for the next days/weeks/months.

DiscoJer

To me the problem with using it for emulation is the pain in the ass it is (at last for me) in getting stuff on the Vita in the first place. The PSP, you just hooked it to the PC like a USB drive. The Vita, you need like an FTP server.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
So uhm, I have this huge wishlist/backlog for Vita and hope some of you guys help me out with my next purchases:

Well if you want some likely to be rare physical games in the future maybe check and see if any of these interest you.
https://www.play-asia.com/games/playstation_vita/games/14/711ab#fc=m:1256

Maybe this one could be the Zelda like game you're looking for

What's not to like about Earthbound graphics + old Zelda gameplay.

To me the problem with using it for emulation is the pain in the ass it is (at last for me) in getting stuff on the Vita in the first place. The PSP, you just hooked it to the PC like a USB drive. The Vita, you need like an FTP server.
Umm... With VitaShell (has to be selected in the options) you can do it like the PSP does! :messenger_grinning:
I find it more problematic to find the right places to put everything...

Shinriji

It
That's neat, bet it would really shine on a pstv

List of current supported games

- Asphalt: Injection
- Borderlands 2
- Dead or Alive 5
- Dragon Quest Builders
- God of War Collection
- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f
- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f 2nd
- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X
- Jak and Daxter Collection
- Killzone: Mercenary
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- LittleBigPlanet
- Miracle Girls Festival
- MotoGP 13
- MotoGP 14
- MUD - FIM Motocross World Championship
- MXGP: The Official Motocross Videogame
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
- Persona 4 Golden
- Ratchet and Clank 2
- Ridge Racer
- Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
- Sly Cooper 2
- Sly Cooper 3
- Sly Cooper 4
- The Amazing Spider-Man
- Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception / Itsuwari no Kamen
- Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth / Futari no Hakuoro
- World of Final Fantasy
- WRC 3: FIA World Rally Championship
- WRC 4: FIA World Rally Championship
- WRC 5: FIA World Rally Championship

I personally tested with Project Diva, P4G, Ridge Racer and DOA5, and the results are impressive.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
List of current supported games

- Asphalt: Injection
- Borderlands 2
- Dead or Alive 5
- Dragon Quest Builders
- God of War Collection
- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f
- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f 2nd
- Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X
- Jak and Daxter Collection
- Killzone: Mercenary
- LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- LittleBigPlanet
- Miracle Girls Festival
- MotoGP 13
- MotoGP 14
- MUD - FIM Motocross World Championship
- MXGP: The Official Motocross Videogame
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus
- Persona 4 Golden
- Ratchet and Clank 2
- Ridge Racer
- Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
- Sly Cooper 2
- Sly Cooper 3
- Sly Cooper 4
- The Amazing Spider-Man
- Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception / Itsuwari no Kamen
- Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth / Futari no Hakuoro
- World of Final FantasyPCSB00951
- WRC 3: FIA World Rally Championship
- WRC 4: FIA World Rally Championship
- WRC 5: FIA World Rally Championship

I personally tested with Project Diva, P4G, Ridge Racer and DOA5, and the results are impressive.
Does Borderlands actually get to 30 fps?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's up to you. I guarantee that Vita collecting will only get more expensive in the future, in case that matters to you.

I've got a ton of physical Vita games that I never got rid of, including several Limited Run games (Breach and Clear, etc). Guess I'll hold on to them for a while.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I've got a ton of physical Vita games that I never got rid of, including several Limited Run games (Breach and Clear, etc). Guess I'll hold on to them for a while.
Hang on to 'em. The skyrocketing popularity of Switch will cause a general rise in interest for handheld platforms. In a couple of years, some Switch fans will wonder if there are any other HD handheld systems out there, and by that time the Vita will be out of stock. Perfect storm.

Shinriji

I wonder if anyone actually opened their copy of Breach and Clear. Mine is forever sealed, until I can sell it for $600 or so.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I actually considered a PSTV just to replicate what i already have on my PSP (a takeaway everything handheld) to a stationary system.

There was a shop that offered them for next to nothing (15 euros, i believe) but they were taken rather quickly.

Next week i am attending this huge ass games related festival as a press puppet (FirstLook) and they have a marketplace. I am going to see and try if there is a PSTV up for grabs, as this thing is just way too interesting from a homebrew perspective to not have. Having the Quake series on it? Heck yeah.

Top Bottom