• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

KAL2006

Member
Feb 6, 2009
11,339
644
1,195
UK
Krev said:
PSP had GTA, COD, FIFA, Madden, etc, too. Western support dropped off due to a lack of sales.
Obviously those games should play a hell of a lot better this time around, but Sony are going to have to hit hard with advertising to make sure people know this and they sell well from the get go, or else western publishers will be very quick to drop significant support.
the problem with PSP console ports was that the games were gimped due to only having 1 analog stick. i don't think NGP will have this problem, first of all there is potential to let developers have cross play support for ports, so having a PSN id, trophies, ranking, friends and etc on these ports would make people more excited, and having cross platform play between NGP and PS3 would also be more appealing. Finally having dual analogs would not gimp the handheld ports in controls, in fact with NGP developers can add even more control options of NGP, such as touch fatality in a Mortal Kombat game, using touchscreen for tactics in a sports game, playing a Pro Evo game like the Wii version,



Back on topic, I hate the name, here are some name ideas from me
PlayStation Touch
This would help with marketing the front and back touch. Also it helps to get casuals interested, as they love touch screens, they may get scared of all the buttons and dual anaogs. But knowing that there is touch straight away, they might feel much more comfortable.

PlayStation Portable HD
Market it as a nextgen handheld system. Taunt it's graphics and it's beautiful high resolution large 5" OLED screen.

PlayStaton Dual or PlayStation Duo
Market it as having 2 of everthing, 2 cameras, 2 touchpads, 2 motion sensors, 2 analogs, twice the resolution, nearly twice the size of most handheld screens, dual game releases of cross compatible games with NGP and PS3.

PlayStation Control
market all it's unique controls, touch screen, back touch, sixaxis, gps, cameras, mic, dual analogs and etc. Here is how they can market all the control possibilities.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Imxf_Fql0j8
Do advertisement that is similar to this, show a person playing COD with dual analogs, then show a person playing Nintendogs type game with a touchscreen, basically they can market the NGP to different audiences at the same time.
 

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Dec 9, 2005
6,173
0
0
Well, I like Vita a lot better than NGP. That was a horrible naming idea. All it does is make the system's name a joke.
 

Shapingo

Member
Sep 23, 2004
1,973
0
1,430
What about Playstation Express or "XPress"?

Sucks that they already used "Move", they could have had a campaign about being able to take your PS3 games on the move.
 

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Nov 3, 2007
18,732
0
0
Well anything (yeah.. anything) is better than PSP/PSP2, since "PSP" name have a bad aura all over it.
 
Oct 22, 2008
48,174
0
0
Va
tristtrist.tumblr.com
KAL2006 said:
Back on topic, I hate the name, here are some name ideas from me
PlayStation Touch
This would help with marketing the front and back touch. Also it helps to get casuals interested, as they love touch screens, they may get scared of all the buttons and dual anaogs. But knowing that there is touch straight away, they might feel much more comfortable.

PlayStation Portable HD
Market it as a nextgen handheld system. Taunt it's graphics and it's beautiful high resolution large 5" OLED screen.

PlayStaton Dual or PlayStation Duo
Market it as having 2 of everthing, 2 cameras, 2 touchpads, 2 motion sensors, 2 analogs, twice the resolution, nearly twice the size of most handheld screens, dual game releases of cross compatible games with NGP and PS3.

PlayStation Control
market all it's unique controls, touch screen, back touch, sixaxis, gps, cameras, mic, dual analogs and etc. Here is how they can market all the control possibilities.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Imxf_Fql0j8
Do advertisement that is similar to this, show a person playing COD with dual analogs, then show a person playing Nintendogs type game with a touchscreen, basically they can market the NGP to different audiences at the same time.
Touch just sounds like a ripoff of the competitor.
HD sounds the best.
Duo is already used in other Sony products and memory.
 

KAL2006

Member
Feb 6, 2009
11,339
644
1,195
UK
Totobeni said:
Well anything (yeah.. anything) is better than PSP/PSP2, since "PSP" name have a bad aura all over it.
Well PSP is hugely popular in Japan, so what if they called it PSP2 in Japan and something else in US and Europe. This wouldn't be the first time different regions got different console names.
Genesis - Megadrive
Famicom - NES
Super Famicom - Super NES
 

Concept17

Member
Jul 23, 2007
11,027
0
0
Seattle
If they're not going to name it PSP2 then they shouldn't call it PS-anything. Like the 3DS sounds like another iteration of the DS rather than new hardware.

But to not have the PS...means it wouldn't have the word Playstation in front which also makes no sense. I really have no idea what they should call it.
 

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
May 8, 2009
10,606
0
0
KAL2006 said:
the problem with PSP console ports was that the games were gimped due to only having 1 analog stick.
And the stick sucked. But yeah, that's why I said in the post you quoted that those sorts of games will obviously play better this time around. My point was that they're going to have to sell well on the get-go on NGP to convince publishers that things really are different this time around, because after the PSP turned out I don't think it would take much for them to pull support.

KAL2006 said:
Well PSP is hugely popular in Japan, so what if they called it PSP2 in Japan and something else in US and Europe. This wouldn't be the first time different regions got different console names.
Genesis - Megadrive
Famicom - NES
Super Famicom - Super NES
This thought crossed my mind earlier. I think it would be a good strategy.

apana said:
Playstation X-treme
Get Tak Fujii to announce it.
 

Oppo

Member
Jan 22, 2010
17,541
0
925
Toronto
What about dropping the "station" part of PlayStation?

That's a great name for a home console but n mobile, it makes little sense... you are not stationary... maybe they could extend the brand for portable in a new way.

Then again, probably not. PlayStation is just too powerful.
 

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Jan 29, 2008
42,342
0
0
30
Florida
I am not to keen on Vita, the name feels off for a console. It does keep it short enough that people can just say Vita when talking about it though (Or PSV, which ever one sticks)
 
Feb 18, 2009
14,448
0
865
New York
ngp has really grown on me, since they'll most likely keep the playstation brand name go with PNGP, Playstation Next Gen portable.

PSPN, Playstation Portable Next? Sounds too much like espn:(

or they could just use PN, Playstation Next.

Someone suggested just Playstation, I think that would work as well.

Playstation
 

Shahadan

Member
Dec 20, 2006
10,871
0
0
I'm so glad none of you people has to decide about naming a console. Jesus.

Vita is shit though.
 

farco1212

Neo Member
Dec 22, 2010
30
0
0
Arkansas
I always thought 'Playstation Life' would be a good name for the device. I guess Vita works as well too. Hopefully Sony is making this a more functional device than just for gaming, something that is the only device we need in our pockets.

I understand that everyone already has a cellphone and vocal minority of you all don't want the NGP to be one, but I would sure as hell be more inclined to buy the NGP if it was an all in one device. I think there's an untapped market of people that would prefer a Game machine that functioned as a cell phone than a cell phone that plays games.

Just my $.02
 

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dec 7, 2006
27,115
0
1,290
www.vertigogaming.net
I really hope this is true, just so I can hear someone say at the Sony Conference, "And now with the Playstation Vita and Xperia Play we can stream Qriocity directly to those devices at the Vita launch, with a free subscription to Qore for Vita."
 

charlequin

Banned
Oct 19, 2005
26,635
1
1,405
chubigans said:
I really hope this is true, just so I can hear someone say at the Sony Conference, "And now with the Playstation Vita and Xperia Play we can stream Qriocity directly to those devices at the Vita launch, with a free subscription to Qore for Vita."
The biggest benefit to Sony of this whole PSN hacking debacle is that it's caused legions of customers to realize for the first time how "Qriocity" is pronounced.
 

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sep 10, 2007
18,383
0
0
Seriously? I can't even imagine it getting better after a while like most other names :/