• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Found On Sony's E3 Site, Now Removed

Ellis Kim

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
It was never going to be NGP just like PS2 wasn't NGPS.

Personally, I really doubt they would remove "Portable" so if its not the expected PSP2 I would expect PSP Something and not just PS Something. Super PSP, PS3P, PSP2, PSP Vita...whatever but keeping "Portable".
The problem with putting a 2 in the name is that it doesn't fly well with the presence of the 3DS, or iPhone 4(5). Meanwhile, "Portable" is simply redundant.

They need to take that Xbox "360" approach for naming the NGP something that stands out without a number.

I just hope its not Vita; the latin is lost to the multitude of health beverages and other branding.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Ellis Kim said:
I just hope its not Vita; the latin is lost to the multitude of health beverages and other branding.
Ah well, '360' was also moniker of dozens of different things at the time, from tv channels to skateboard terminology. At least it doesn't sound like a bad pun, like Kinect.

Vita? That would be a horrible name from Microsoft's marketing department. Then again, Sony came up with "Qriocity".

If wish they could just call it "PlayStation". It looks so beautiful with that font.

sony-ngp-front.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
brotkasten said:
If wish they could just call it "PlayStation". It looks so beautiful with that font.

Yes please.

Seeing that corrupted with some futuristic-font 'PSP2' at E3 is going to be awful :(

Why are you guys so pedantic? It's just a name, and its much better than some of the crap Sony have come up with recently. Qriocity, and Xperia come to mind.

I'd prefer it was just Sony Vita than PS Vita though

Yami

hamchan said:
I wouldn't buy one just because of this name, seriously.

Just keep it NGP please, it's a pretty good acronym.

Neo Geo Pocket called and wants it's acronym back...

Eradicate

Ezalc said:
Isn't the v sound in latin spoken like a w? Maybe it's wiita. Yeah I think it sounds bad either way.

Actually, in reconstructed ancient Roman (pre-Classical period), v's ARE pronounced as w's. So, it would be like wiita in ancient Roman Latin. This tends to be the type of Latin first taught at a scholarly level, for "serious" speaking. However, there are other "types" of Latin, like the English method or "Church" Latin, and other regional ones, that can change the way sounds are made.

However, yes, your professor is correct.

Regardless, it is an interesting name for sure, but nothing too awful. If Sony went with it, I imagine people would just call it "PSV" or something. Sony has used quite odd names before.

Hazelhurst

I hope this is a false rumor. I can already see people pronouncing it different ways. Sony should go with a simple common word like they did with the Move.

My suggestion:

PlayStation Clear

mhayze

darkwing said:
Vita = no buy, NGP = day 1

Not the first person to express this sentiment, but really, I don't get it. You wouldn't buy it because of some crappy lettering? Not because of the games, graphics, features, potential whatever, but because of the name? I know I'm just not fundamentally getting something here, but, OK. Interesting.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If they dumped 'station' (given its connotation with a stationary home device), they could go with Play___

But that might be rather bold.

GeoramA

OgTheClever said:
Would you pronounce it 'vee-ta' or 'vye-ta'? Regardless, I think it sounds pretty undesirable.
That's another negative, there will always be a stupid pronunciation argument.

Man

Maybe they will have the PlayStation name more in the background like Nintendo for Wii.
We will all be playing the Vita.

Oppo

I do think it'll be a name-name.

Like PSP Vita, or PSP Neo, or PSP - something.

Vita... rings a bit hollow to me. Don't hate it, don't love it, doesn't mean much.

At least they won't call it the PSP Qriocity or something. I hope.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
gofreak said:
If they dumped 'station' (given its connotation with a stationary home device), they could go with Play___

If Sony aren't bold this thing doesn't stand a chance.
Personally, I like the idea.
Man said:
Maybe they will have the PlayStation name more in the background like Nintendo for Wii.
We will all be playing the Vita.
This would be fine, too.
Sony should go for a short, catchy name for a personal portable device like this. Playstation Vita is a mouthful, and PSP2 or NGP is too sterile for the mass market in the post Wii, post iPhone/iPad world.

Hazelhurst

gofreak said:

PlayStation is the branding. It doesn't actually mean anything. There's no way they're dropping the name PlayStation. It's too valuable.

Grisby

IonicSnake said:
The PSP stepped into one of these I see.

Vita-Chamber.jpg

You son of a bitch. I literally just googled and imgur'd that same image. :D

Vita sounds weird and foreign. I hope its still the NGP or just playstation.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Is it wrong for me to actually like this rumored name?

Do I have bad taste?

Elixist

Grisby said:
You son of a bitch. I literally just googled and imgur'd that same image. :D

Vita sounds weird and foreign. I hope its still the NGP or just playstation.

Tell me of this imgur, is this an easy way to find postable images off of Google?

Top Bottom