• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

The Vita has an amazing sleep mode, or the 3DS one is terrible. 3DS is almost dead after two days of being in sleep, while my Vita is around 25% still from light use and being in sleep for over a week with no charge. Both have Wifi on as well.

vMaxx

Tried a teachers Vita today and maybe it's because I've used my ipad daily, the screen didn't impress me that much. I played Rayman and SSD so it might affect my feelings because I've played both games on PS3 (well stardust is almost the same). Definately a good screen and destroys the 3DS, but damn if the retina ipad won't beat all mobile devices handily.

Otherwise it felt like a bigger PSP. The sticks were ridiculously small and I'd almost prefer two sliders instead.

Just give us bigger memory cards and I'll bite just for the psp titles.

PS Vita's screen is better than the iPad's 3...contrast, colours and viewing angles are much better. The only inferior factor is the resolution...

PS Vita has the best screen that I've ever seen in a portable machine!

lunlunqq

well...see for yourself...
ipad_vita.jpg

panty

The Vita has an amazing sleep mode, or the 3DS one is terrible. 3DS is almost dead after two days of being in sleep, while my Vita is around 25% still from light use and being in sleep for over a week with no charge. Both have Wifi on as well.

So I'm not the only one! The sleep mode is truly awesome.

see5harp

I do think the Vita is pretty damn impressive with contrast and black levels. I just don't think I'd ever do anything besides play games on it. High resolution pictures look incredible on the new iPad. Vita screen miles ahead? No.

Alchemy

I do think the Vita is pretty damn impressive with contrast and black levels. I just don't think I'd ever do anything besides play games on it. High resolution pictures look incredible on the new iPad. Vita screen miles ahead? No.

So you only think you'd use the Vita for its main purpose?

..And?

Alchemy

Of course a higher resolution will look better, it's a dumb comparison. If you want to go there, the iPad looks like crap compared to my monitor at home. Get that old stuff out of here.

Pixel density and color contrast bro. Resolution is just a small portion of that.

see5harp

So you only think you'd use the Vita for its main purpose?

..And?

And nothing. The guy said miles ahead based on that screenshot, I have both devices and I can tell you the Vita looks great in certain areas but isn't MILES AHEAD. Hell the color and contrast levels are very good on the iPad and it's running at a MUCH HIGHER resolution.

Piggus

Of course the OLED has better contrast than the iPad's IPS LED screen. That said, the iPad 3 screen is still beautiful. It's brighter than the Vita's OLED.

Pixel density and color contrast bro. Resolution is just a small portion of that.

Resolution is a huge portion of that. Pixel density depends mostly on the size of the screen. And it's not so much color contrast vs color space and latitude. Contrast is just a spectrum inside the latitude of whites and blacks. How many steps of latitude between the whites and blacks is what matters.

Raoh

Of course the OLED has better contrast than the iPad's IPS LED screen. That said, the iPad 3 screen is still beautiful. It's brighter than the Vita's OLED.

I was impressed how great the new iPad displayed websites and text on the apple tv. The text was sharp as hell.

The VITA has replaced my iPhone for watching movies, unless I want to travel light with just my phone, the vita will be my first choice for video always.

ipad if primarily for home use.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Of course a higher resolution will look better, it's a dumb comparison. If you want to go there, the iPad looks like crap compared to my monitor at home. Get that old stuff out of here.
Errr, what sort of monitor are you using? Even a 27" or 30" IPS screen at 2560x1600 can't match the pixel density of the iPad. Most monitors these days ARE LCDs, however, so unless you have an OLED monitor I doubt that the iPad "looks like crap" compared to your monitor.

Errr, what sort of monitor are you using? Even a 27" or 30" IPS screen at 2560x1600 can't match the pixel density of the iPad. Most monitors these days ARE LCDs, however, so unless you have an OLED monitor I doubt that the iPad "looks like crap" compared to your monitor.

Astro 4K resolution monitor. It does look like crap compared to it.

Bah I have an iPad 3 and the screen is awesome but I don't really use the thing for games apart the usual phone games such as draw something, words with friends etc

see5harp

Bah I have an iPad 3 and the screen is awesome but I don't really use the thing for games apart the usual phone games such as draw something, words with friends etc

Me either I just find it ridiculous that you could look at both side by side and think the Vita is much much better.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
1) Escape Plan
2) Super Stardust Delta
3) Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
4) Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
5) Plants vs. Zombies PS Vita
6) Rayman Origins
7) UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss
8) Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
9) Hustle Kings PS Vita
10) Dynasty Warriors Next

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...sn-top-sellers-the-simpsons-escape-plan-soar/

The cheaper games sold more than the more expensive games. Never would have guessed!

Pretty hilarious to see Rayman outselling Uncharted though. Thats nuts.

see5harp

You're comparing a dedicated gaming device to a tablet that is not, not to mention the huge difference in screen size. Fair comparisons were thrown out the window a long time ago.

I definitely disagree with the statement that the Vita screen is unimpressive. It looks great in motion and SSD is much better as a game than the PS3 version. My complaints with Sony products are never hardware related, it's always their software that ends up being the worst implemented and I think that's the sort of stuff I will be critical of.

Kafel

Banned
1) Escape Plan
2) Super Stardust Delta
3) Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
4) Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
5) Plants vs. Zombies PS Vita
6) Rayman Origins
7) UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss
8) Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
9) Hustle Kings PS Vita
10) Dynasty Warriors Next

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...sn-top-sellers-the-simpsons-escape-plan-soar/

The cheaper games sold more than the more expensive games. Never would have guessed!

Pretty hilarious to see Rayman outselling Uncharted though. Thats nuts.

Games only available on PSN sold more than those that could be bought at retail.

Flek

Banned
So whats the best vita case to get !?

I see the S.P.F case getting picked up a lot - why?

Also i think i made a great deal on my ps vita "bundle" for 335 Euros i got:

vita 3G + 2 weeks of 3G
8 Gb memory card
uncharted
wipeout
rayman hd
preorder pack + headphones
super stardust delta

Grinchy

Banned
Those are PSN top sellers though, right? So Uncharted could have sold more copies, just not more digital PSN copies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Games only available on PSN sold more than those that could be bought at retail.

Right its just digital sales so that makes sense.

Can't really extrapolate anything from this list, other than Rayman being fairly popular on the Vita which is well deserved.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Anyone using a portable charger with their vita?

apparently there's some wiring shenanigans that means a lot of chargers simply don't work.

I have two official chargers ordered, but i noticed that there's a third party Vita specific charger available now in stores. I -might- get it seeing as i've got a long trip coming up (27 hours door to door)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
apparently there's some wiring shenanigans that means a lot of chargers simply don't work.

I have two official chargers ordered, but i noticed that there's a third party Vita specific charger available now in stores. I -might- get it seeing as i've got a long trip coming up (27 hours door to door)

That's what I'm a little worried about. The official vita one apparently needs the vita charger and USB cable to charge it, which is a pain. And if it doesn't also charge iPhones etc then it's a one trick pony. I might check eBay, see if they sell USB cables that flip the wires inside, which would let other chargers charge vita too

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Am I the only one considering to glue some sort of rubber on top of my start and select buttons? So that they can be used like the ps3 controllers Start/select buttons? The only design flaw that is really annoying me.

spats

Am I the first one to consider glueing some sort of rubber on top of my start and select buttons? So that they can be used like the ps3 controllers Start/select buttons? The only design flaw really annoying me.

I've gotten perfectly accustomed to the start/select buttons now. At first I had to keep looking at what I was pressing (or if I was pressing anything at all) but now they feel totally fine. They also look a lot nicer when they're flush.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I've gotten perfectly accustomed to the start/select buttons now. At first I had to keep looking at what I was pressing (or if I was pressing anything at all) but now they feel totally fine. They also look a lot nicer when they're flush.

My problem is that it HURTS to press them often. Playing Motorstorm RC, sometimes I press the start button 20 times a minute for restarts until I get the first corner in the correct way. Doing that 10 minutes really starts to hurt.

spats

My problem is that it HURTS to press them often. Playing Motorstorm RC, sometimes I press the start button 20 times a minute for restarts until I get the first corner in the correct way. Doing that 10 minutes really starts to hurt.

I see what you mean. Clicking them as I type this and they're definitely a lot stiffer compared to all the other buttons on the system. I still prefer secondary function buttons like this to have some resistance to them, though. My Samsung phone has a really loose, flabby screen lock button that sticks out just enough so that the phone gets unlocked in my pocket all the time and ends up calling random numbers. Shit like that infuriates me. Not that the Vita suffers from anything like that, but I can sort of see the reasoning behind making them stiff.

edit: having the first post on a page sucks ass, I need to pay more attention to the post # :(

Toma

I see what you mean. Clicking them as I type this and they're definitely a lot stiffer compared to all the other buttons on the system. I still prefer secondary function buttons like this to have some resistance to them, though. My Samsung phone has a really loose, flabby screen lock button that sticks out just enough so that the phone gets unlocked in my pocket all the time and ends up calling random numbers. Shit like that infuriates me. Not that the Vita suffers from anything like that, but I can sort of see the reasoning behind making them stiff.

edit: having the first post on a page sucks ass, I need to pay more attention to the post # :(

Its fine that they are sort of hard to press. But if the surface would be a bit softer, they'd hurt way less. Also making them stand out would probably help too.

Still thinking how to go about this. I hoped I would find an old broken PS1 controller which I could empty for rubber buttons. (Yes, desperate times)

mangaroo

Banned
Start/Select buttons are definitely too difficult to press, they should have a slightly raised surface that is still rigid so you can get a feel for them easier when pressing blind. Even when you are looking, they are a bit of a pain for larger fingers (like the thumb) tbh, unlike the awesome PS button which I tend to use for pausing instead for this very reason.

EU store update was pretty terrible for Vita content and playstation plus members. Is the general consensus on Sumioni to wait for a price drop? Hasn't been released in Europe yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom