• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol1dus

Thinking of getting prinny as GameStop is selling codes for it for $7.99. Can anyone vouch for it? Does it look nice on the Vita?

I got it from GS too. While it looks pretty, it's pretty much a broken platformer due to the dumb jump mechanics. Once you're in the air you fall straight down. So you can't move around while jumping like in every other good platformer. I honestly think its a waste of money.

I wonder if they'll have any good sales for PSP games compatible with Vita tomorrow. It'd be nice if they'd actually take a page from Europe's store and give us some Vita sales and PS+ discounts towards Vita games. Just really odd they have a Vita section on the store and there are physical copies beating out the prices of the digital copies, which loses the "cheaper than physical" advantage.

They need to step up their game. Luckily I have plenty of non-Vita stuff to play to keep me from buying other stuff. lol. Still gotta finish Corpse Party, though. And I got FFTactics...the game is already long, but dat magic/special skills lag...that'll increase play time. lol >_<

Ive heard about the lag, how bad is it? I went for TO instead, but if lag isnt that bad I might get FFT too.

southsidewolf

Neo Member
Just been authorised for membership but been loving this thread for ages! Thanks to all contributors so far. Have just started P3P (my first Persona experience). Wondered if the in-game tutorials are sufficient to understand all the in game systems, if not, can anyone suggest a good primer guide? First 16 levels in Tartarus explored and I've a few questions about battle, fusing, etc.

Koroviev

Ive heard about the lag, how bad is it? I went for TO instead, but if lag isnt that bad I might get FFT too.

While TO is a much better port/remake, FFT is still certainly worth playing. The Jobs system feels like a natural progression of the more linear, rigid class system found in TO. The lag is inexcusable, but not game-breaking, imo.

This will be a giant mass grave. Everyone's welcome!

Oh man, I just took a picture of Skies of Arcadia for the pick-up thread (I don't own a Gamecube or Wii). I have Typing of the Dead and Maken X, but while I love Typing of the Dead, the Dreamcast is definitely a warning against impulse purchases. Of course, I originally planned to spend my Dreamcast money on Max Payne 3, so the alternative would have been worse.
Party in the after life, bros! Whoa!

If you chose a Dreamcast and some games over Max Payne, good job. MP3 is... REALLY good, but going with a few classic games you never played is always great fun.

I wonder if they'll have any good sales for PSP games compatible with Vita tomorrow. It'd be nice if they'd actually take a page from Europe's store and give us some Vita sales and PS+ discounts towards Vita games. Just really odd they have a Vita section on the store and there are physical copies beating out the prices of the digital copies, which loses the "cheaper than physical" advantage.

They need to step up their game. Luckily I have plenty of non-Vita stuff to play to keep me from buying other stuff. lol. Still gotta finish Corpse Party, though. And I got FFTactics...the game is already long, but dat magic/special skills lag...that'll increase play time. lol >_<

There have been fairly good(but small scale) sales recently, so maybe we'll get lucky and we'll get a few more...

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I didn't have the patience for the bosses, but I had fun playing through all of the levels. It's rather difficult, mind.

Sure enough... I nearly flung my PSP across the room trying to fight some of those god damn bosses. I persevered and managed to finish it though.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Party in the after life, bros! Whoa!

If you chose a Dreamcast and some games over Max Payne, good job. MP3 is... REALLY good, but going with a few classic games you never played is always great fun.
I wanted to have a final big purchase before I went on a spending dry for college. Of course, I bought a Vita in the time since then, so. That worked out well.

I'm finding MP3 okay so far, but it's incredibly frustrating and lacks all of the things I loved about Max Payne 2. I'm glad I waited though, as I was able to get it for $30. I really should have just spent the $60 on buying Dead Souls. :(

Koroviev

Sure enough... I nearly flung my PSP across the room trying to fight some of those god damn bosses. I persevered and managed to finish it though.

I might have persevered had it been necessary to play through all of the levels. As it is, you can play through all of the levels (which I enjoyed) without having to beat any of the bosses (which I didn't like).

BosSin

I know this is unlikely as it might involve some reprogramming of the actual games, but do psp games support the second analogue stick on the vita?

It would be awesome for games like syphon filter

Anyone know when the ps1 titles will be on the vita? with the update 1.8? besides "soon" and "summer"
... soon in the summertime? :3

I wanted to have a final big purchase before I went on a spending dry for college. Of course, I bought a Vita in the time since then, so. That worked out well.

I'm finding MP3 okay so far, but it's incredibly frustrating and lacks all of the things I loved about Max Payne 2. I'm glad I waited though, as I was able to get it for $30. I really should have just spent the $60 on buying Dead Souls. :(
Worked out perfectly I would say. And yeah, MP3 is pretty damn hard and it's way too cinematic. It's a R* game and they rarely disappoint, which means the gameplay in MP3 is spot on, but it doesn't carry itself the same way the previous games did. Plus I still need to purchase Dead Souls, too!

Koroviev

I know this is unlikely as it might involve some reprogramming of the actual games, but do psp games support the second analogue stick on the vita?

Yes, they do. Hold down on the touchscreen to see the emulation options.

While TO is a much better port/remake, FFT is still certainly worth playing. The Jobs system feels like a natural progression of the more linear, rigid class system found in TO. The lag is inexcusable, but not game-breaking, imo.

Thanks for the explanation, I was worried about the lag.

You can map certain functions to the second stick. For example, if a PSP game used the Dpad to control the camera you can tell your Vita to map the Dpad controls to the second stick. So depending on the game you may get much better control options playing it on the Vita.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Worked out perfectly I would say. And yeah, MP3 is pretty damn hard and it's way too cinematic. It's a R* game and they rarely disappoint, which means the gameplay in MP3 is spot on, but it doesn't carry itself the same way the previous games did. Plus I still need to purchase Dead Souls, too!
I got through the first two games by quicksaving and quickloading, so after dying six times and having to start a good seven minutes back from where I was, I just gave up. I know I'm the kind of person who GAF hates, but I really need more health pickups or regenerating life. And yeah, the cutscenes aren't my thing. I don't like the writing, and it seems like there are a lot of lines that exist solely to be thrown up on the screen. The gunplay's decent, but it's too hard for me to find it too enjoyable.

I've heard mixed things about Dead Souls, so I've been waiting for it to hit $20 like Yakuza 4 did. I liked the demo though.

this is so off-topic

Corto

Yep. You can map the second stick to function as the face buttons, the D Pad or the left analogue stick. Pretty cool feature. You only need to touch the screen for 3 seconds more or less and then you'll get the option to choose your prefered setting.

Eusis

Oh man, I'm suddenly experiencing buyer's remorse a year late. I'd advise anybody who's interested in Z.H.P. to wait for it to hit $15 at the very least.
Could be worse, we could be talking about a game that cost $50 or $60 going to $10 or even $2, like Alpha Protocol did.

panda21

oh wow i had no idea team silent worked on grush, thats awesome. hopefully that means they are more likely to make a vita horror game since they already have experience developing for it.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Could be worse, we could be talking about a game that cost $50 or $60 going to $10 or even $2, like Alpha Protocol did.

I grabbed AP for $2, lol

still haven't played it
I bought Alpha Protocol for $40 day one at Fry's. I don't regret my purchase at all, but yeah, the crazy sales the game got definitely puts me in the pro-waiting camp.

Well,
Only gamestop has virtua tennis 4 in stock of all the stores by me, and they have one left. I had them hold it, but they said it was "Discontinued" in their system, so not sure what the deal is. The game is still $40 in every brick and mortar though so I think ill just go get it.

I got through the first two games by quicksaving and quickloading, so after dying six times and having to start a good seven minutes back from where I was, I just gave up. I know I'm the kind of person who GAF hates, but I really need more health pickups or regenerating life. And yeah, the cutscenes aren't my thing. I don't like the writing, and it seems like there are a lot of lines that exist solely to be thrown up on the screen. The gunplay's decent, but it's too hard for me to find it too enjoyable.

I've heard mixed things about Dead Souls, so I've been waiting for it to hit $20 like Yakuza 4 did. I liked the demo though.

this is so off-topic
I like how the narrative in 3 is set up, it's just so out there and the dialogue is... sub par, to be honest. Plus the screen cutting out and the different filters REALLY threw me off and sort of made me feel like the drunk Max is, which is what I think they were aiming for. Were you palying on Easy? It felt dirty but the game was more enjoyable playing on the lowest difficulty setting.

I heard Dead Souls wasn't too good, but it's Yakuza. Can't be awful, right?

and off topic is best topic

Get to it! It's really quite good, don't trust the reviews.

Yeah, it's pretty great. Well worth the time investment.

Well,
Only gamestop has virtua tennis 4 in stock of all the stores by me, and they have one left. I had them hold it, but they said it was "Discontinued" in their system, so not sure what the deal is. The game is still $40 in every brick and mortar though so I think ill just go get it.
Might as well take the plunge when you can, right? I hope it's a wrapped copy and not a lame display copy.

Might as well take the plunge when you can, right? I hope it's a wrapped copy and not a lame display copy.

Yeah they said new, so that probably means its been opened up which in my mind = used.
I never understood this from them. How are you saving space in your store buy actually separating the product into two drawers instead of one on display.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I like how the narrative in 3 is set up, it's just so out there and the dialogue is... sub par, to be honest. Plus the screen cutting out and the different filters REALLY threw me off and sort of made me feel like the drunk Max is, which is what I think they were aiming for. Were you palying on Easy? It felt dirty but the game was more enjoyable playing on the lowest difficulty setting.

I heard Dead Souls wasn't too good, but it's Yakuza. Can't be awful, right?

and off topic is best topic
The filters were really jarring, mostly because they didn't seem to go with the rest of the game. If they did a Kane and Lynch 2 sort of thing where the aesthetic choices matched with the narrative, I'd be fine with that, but the wonky filters are only in cutscenes and don't seem to have any purpose other than to be wonky. And yep, I'm on easy. I was hoping it would be the click mouse to win mode I wanted, but Rockstar wasn't kidding when they said it still offered a challenge. :(

It has Ryuji with a bionic arm! That's already 8/10 material.

patsu

patsu's 4ever Nyko power grip hunt. Went to GameStop @ University Avenue, Palo Alto. They don't have it. Sigh~ will check the one in Cupertino when I swing by later.

Yeah they said new, so that probably means its been opened up which in my mind = used.
I never understood this from them. How are you saving space in your store buy actually separating the product into two drawers instead of one on display.
Save cost is what I would say, but if it really that hard to purchase an extra case with no game from the manufacturer to put on the shelf instead of putting stickers on it?

The filters were really jarring, mostly because they didn't seem to go with the rest of the game. If they did a Kane and Lynch 2 sort of thing where the aesthetic choices matched with the narrative, I'd be fine with that, but the wonky filters are only in cutscenes and don't seem to have any purpose other than to be wonky. And yep, I'm on easy. I was hoping it would be the click mouse to win mode I wanted, but Rockstar wasn't kidding when they said it still offered a challenge. :(

It has Ryuji with a bionic arm! That's already 8/10 material.
Exactly! It almost feels like we're playing a different game than how it's presented. Washed up drunk with shaky camera and filters, then... perfectly normal gameplay.

And don't forget playable Majima for the first time! Bumps it up to 8.5 or even 9.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
And don't forget playable Majima for the first time! Bumps it up to 8.5 or even 9.
And classic there are zombies but Haruka is still kidnapped for some reason! story. I think we've determined that Dead Souls is the best game in the series, and neither of us has even played it.

Massa

I bought Alpha Protocol for $40 day one at Fry's. I don't regret my purchase at all, but yeah, the crazy sales the game got definitely puts me in the pro-waiting camp.

For me it was the opposite. I have Alpha Protocol on the PS3, played it, enjoyed it. Then I bought it on Steam for $2.50 even though knew I'd probably never played it, and indeed I never touched it. It was basically a waste of money, as were the many games I own and never even played. And they add up...

So yeah, I have no problems paying $40 for a game I know I'll play right away, and now I rarely pay attention to sales. On the current PSN sale I'm not buying anything.

Lucent

Thanks for the explanation, I was worried about the lag.

I saw a video that does a somewhat decent job of showing the comparison between how it was on the original and how it is in the PSP version. The video doesn't make it look bad but...I just know when I play it I think about how quick and smooth the original played when it came to spells. It's just really jarring to play the PSP version even after having not played the original for awhile.

Clicky

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
For me it was the opposite. I have Alpha Protocol on the PS3, played it, enjoyed it. Then I bought it on Steam for $2.50 even though knew I'd probably never played it, and indeed I never touched it. It was basically a waste of money, as were the many games I own and never even played. And they add up...

So yeah, I have no problems paying $40 for a game I know I'll play right away, and now I rarely pay attention to sales. On the current PSN sale I'm not buying anything.
I don't buy games unless I believe I'll play them, so whenever I see people post things like "I've had this game for three years and haven't opened it. Nice to know it's good." my jaw drops. Of course, I fall into the same trap with Steam sales, but I've become much better.

I don't have any problem paying money for a game I know I'll enjoy, although I draw the line at $60 PC/handheld games. I only wait for price drops if I think there's a good chance of a sale coming up or I'm not sure I'll like a game.

I saw a video that does a somewhat decent job of showing the comparison between how it was on the original and how it is in the PSP version. The video doesn't make it look bad but...I just know when I play it I think about how quick and smooth the original played when it came to spells. It's just really jarring to play the PSP version even after having not played the original for awhile.

Clicky

Yeah, I tried to play it on Vita but the spell slowdown was too irritating. I don't think it bothers certain people as much as it did for me though so your mileage may vary. I play it exclusively on PSP now with the unofficial slowdown patch.

Yopis

I don't buy games unless I believe I'll play them, so whenever I see people post things like "I've had this game for three years and haven't opened it. Nice to know it's good." my jaw drops. Of course, I fall into the same trap with Steam sales, but I've become much better.

I don't have any problem paying money for a game I know I'll enjoy, although I draw the line at $60 PC/handheld games. I only wait for price drops if I think there's a good chance of a sale coming up or I'm not sure I'll like a game.

Bioshock 2 is the last game on my backlog lol. Just can't force myself to play it for some reason. Btw on the last lvl of Gravity Rush I am excited at the possibilities for a sequel. Really great game.

patsu

Yes, it does, as long as the music is in a playlist (i think...). Might have to be in offline mode too, not sure.

Yes, you can play the offline Music Unlimited songs in the background, together with other games and apps.

In comparison, Music Unlimited's streaming music will halt automatically when you enter LiveArea mode.

Fou-Lu

So I just bought a bunch of games from the Atlus sale, when Knights in the Nightmare finished downloading all I got was "Could not install" wtf is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom