• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyborg009

Banned
So I bought my vita on day one but other than Uncharted I haven't touched it so I've been looking in to the great psp games I have missed and I see a lot of them are only £7.99 on the psn store. I can't find Monster Hunter on the EU store but I saw Gods Eater Burst is up on there and I think that's a decent game right?
Wondering if the controls are any better with the second analog stick.

strange I thought freedom unite was on PSN,anyways God eater burst was decent with one stick it would be great with two. also people has been saying to get trails in the sky btw

Varna

Asked in the FF deal thread, but I'll ask here too. I have a vita, but no PS3. Is there any way I can buy PSone games on PSN (to take advantage of the deal pricing) in anticipation of eventual vita compatibility?

When this comes around are they even going to let you do that? Can you play PS1 games on both the PSP and PS3?

frequency

So I bought my vita on day one but other than Uncharted I haven't touched it so I've been looking in to the great psp games I have missed and I see a lot of them are only £7.99 on the psn store. I can't find Monster Hunter on the EU store but I saw Gods Eater Burst is up on there and I think that's a decent game right?
Wondering if the controls are any better with the second analog stick.

GEB is a great game. It's not as good as MH but I feel it's way more welcoming for newcomers to the genre.

When this comes around are they even going to let you do that? Can you play PS1 games on both the PSP and PS3?

PSP can play PSX games.

strange I thought freedom unite was on PSN,anyways God eater burst was decent with one stick it would be great with two. also people has been saying to get trails in the sky btw

Actually you are right Freedom Unite totally is there, don't know how I missed that. Well now I don't know what to get, at £27.99 I'm hoping for a price drop on Tails In The Sky before I dive in.

test_account

XP-39C²
Anybody notice the cartridge slot actually has a LED next to it? It blinks when the cart is being accessed, but it is normally completely hidden behind the cover. Really odd...

http://i.imgur.com/rOLnB.png
Funny that you mention this now since i actually noticed this myself for the first time earlier tonight, and i've had the Vita since launch :) I was also wondering why the LED is there since it is indeed covered by the flap there.

RoylAsult

Sumioni impressions:

Got my first (bad) ending in about 30 minutes (that´s including the 5 minutes text cutscene in the beginning).

It´s a good game, albeit repetitive combat wise. The artstyle is good, but the backgrounds are pretty bland.

There are 6 different endings (and 30 stages), but I dont know if I should recommend it at the asking price ($20).

I am enjoying it quite a bit, anyway. If you have any questions, please let me know.

is that 30 stages in total or 30 stages per 6 endings so 180 stages? dont want to pay 20$ for a game that can be 100% finished in under 5 hours

Ken

is that 30 stages in total or 30 stages per 6 endings so 180 stages? dont want to pay 20$ for a game that can be 100% finished in under 5 hours
That sounds better than paying $40 for a game that can be finished in 4 hours.

/coughshinibido2cough

Well I bought God Eater, from what I could tell it seems like its a better single player experience than Monster Hunter (at least as somebody completely new to these games)
If I like it I will convince a friend to get this too and then eventually both give Monster Hunter a shot.

More crossplay tracks are coming as DLC (free for those who own HD/Fury on PS3). They plan on patching in stuff they didn't have time for, like custom controls, the AR museum and "new features and new ways to play" (presumably racebox). Sounds like there could be some paid DLC too, most likely new tracks.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-28-wipeout-2048-dev-promises-free-and-paid-for-dlc

So the tracks are free on Vita for those that bought HD/fury? That would be awesome

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Speaking of Wipeout, could anybody tell me if Wipeout Pulse has been tested on Vita via PS3 transfer?

Want to be sure it works before I buy a digital copy through the PS3.

Corto

The LED light it's to warn to not remove the card when it's blinking (accessing data). And you can swap game cards with the Vita on with no problem whatsoever.

mangaroo

Banned
So the tracks are free on Vita for those that bought HD/fury? That would be awesome

Yep, that's the current plan. Same PSN ID I assume.

Speaking of Wipeout, could anybody tell me if Wipeout Pulse has been tested on Vita via PS3 transfer?

Can't tell you that I bought it that way but the only game I read that had issues was Wipeout Pure from the North American store. I was able to buy pulse and pure from the the eu vita store, but the mirage dlc for pulse (eu only) had to be bought from the ps3 store and transferred over. It worked. Other PSP titles transfer fine from PS3, just click on the downloaded file in the ps3 while connected to the vita via usb and then open up content manager and transfer from ps3 to vita. I would be very surprised if you ran into issues, but you might want to wait for actual confirmation.

sublimit

Banned
Hey guys i checked the PSP compatible game list but i just want to make sure:
Is Everybody's Tennis/Hot Shot Tennis compatible with Vita?

patsu

I bought my vita 2-3 days ago and i've got some question about how it actually work.

When your vita is in sleep/standby mode do you stay connected/visible to other people in your friend list?
The same question goes for when you play a game...

I realised that every time i leave my friend list and go back later to see who's online, they seem to "reconnect" to the psn/friendlist everytime.

Also i would like to know if everytime im online on my vita, im also online in my friendlist by default?

Thanx for your help.

Vita will disconnect from PSN when it thinks there is no active request to send or receive. Everytime you exit from the Friends List app, it will disconnect from PSN if no other app is using PSN actively.

I think you'll show up on your friends' friends list, but not always.

JimFear

Banned
is this possible to do a vocal chat on my vita with someone on a ps3? cause i checked with someone and he told me that when im on my vita on his friendlist i appear to be offline.

FF IV complete is absolutely stunning looking on the vita.

I'm digging sumioni but it's not a $20 game. It would be $5 (and 99 cents in a month) on iOS. Having buttons is nice, and the art is amazing, but it's pretty simplistic and short.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Two features I'd like to see in a future update:

- The ability to "pin" some LivaAreas. Right now you can only keep up to 6 (7?) LiveAreas backgrounded at any given time, and as soon as you launch a new one, the oldest one will be terminated. That's a reasonable approach to multitasking, but I would love to be able to pin (at least a certain number of) LiveAreas. Like the ones I use frequently, like Trophies or Near.

- Speaking of trophies: I'd love to have a trophy icon at the top of every of every game LiveArea (next to the manual, website, etc). I don't care if it will display a trophy overlay or launch the trophy, as long as I have easy access.

CLEEK

The version from the US PSN store works on Vita, but has be be copied from your PS3 via Content Manager. Don't know about the EU/JP versions of the game.

It's well worth getting on Vita, even at the inflated US price. It looks lovely and the comofrtable analogue stick on the Vita is a revelation. Due to never getting on with the nub, I played Pulse on the PSP with the d-pad, and it makes life so much easier on the technical tracks to be able to do gentle, subtle turns with the stick.

Flunkie

Banned
FF IV complete is absolutely stunning looking on the vita.

I'm digging sumioni but it's not a $20 game. It would be $5 (and 99 cents in a month) on iOS. Having buttons is nice, and the art is amazing, but it's pretty simplistic and short.

Sony is dropping the ball bigtime on the iOS comparable games market. Yes, the Uncharteds are why we own the system, but if they need to expedite the Vita Minis situation. It's kind of a clusterfuck right now.

Kai Dracon

The version from the US PSN store works on Vita, but has be be copied from your PS3 via Content Manager. Don't know about the EU/JP versions of the game.

It's well worth getting on Vita, even at the inflated US price. It looks lovely and the comofrtable analogue stick on the Vita is a revelation. Due to never getting on with the nub, I played Pulse on the PSP with the d-pad, and it makes life so much easier on the technical tracks to be able to do gentle, subtle turns with the stick.

Ok. I'm not worried about the price; Pulse has a LOT of content even without the EU DLC. (It has 12 tracks, I thought, most of which are not in Wipeout HD.)

I love 2048 but just want a more traditional Wipeout on the Vita. Say, does it enjoy any framerate improvement like some PSP games on Vita?

The LED light it's to warn to not remove the card when it's blinking (accessing data). And you can swap game cards with the Vita on with no problem whatsoever.

Speaking of which be careful when you put the cards in... it starts to access the data before it clicks, which has caused me some problems already.

CLEEK

Say, does it enjoy any framerate improvement like some PSP games on Vita?

Not a scientific, Digital Foundry test, but to my eyes, yeah, it does. It has a touch of tearing that I never noticed when playing on the PSP, but the frame rate is nice and solid. More stable than 2048, from what I've played. There are a couple of cam vids on Youtube of it running on a Vita, if you want to check it out, but I absolutely recommend it.

One bummer is you can't have custom soundtracks, as they needed specific folders created on the MemoryStick Duo. So you're left with the (terrific) original music.

Kai Dracon

Not a scientific, Digital Foundry test, but to my eyes, yeah, it does. It has a touch of tearing that I never noticed when playing on the PSP, but the frame rate is nice and solid. More stable than 2048, from what I've played.

One bummer is you can't have custom soundtracks, as they needed specific folders created on the MemoryStick Duo. So you're left with the (terrific) original music.

Okie dokie. Sounds good enough for me. Exceeeeeeder for life.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Near was working for me and all of a sudden I get the 'An error has occurred' message whenever it tries to pinpoint my location. Is there a known fix?

RoylAsult

IMO it follows an order (or based on the score you get on the stage before the branch). When I already went to the two possible paths, the game asked which one I'd like to go.

so if you play it 6 times you should get all the endings? do you keep your powers or something (i dont know much about the game) to get higher scores or something?

is it a no brainer 100% game?

Wonko_C

Just deleted Motorstorm RC. Couldn't stand the godawful physics, handling and controls. Now I'm going back to the real Vita racer: WipEout.

Sorta agree. After "finishing" the game (no ending? WTF? Unless you have to get 3 medals on every race) I deleted it. I'll never add smileys about this game to near until they let me put "cheap, infuriating, unfair" there. Back to getting platinum on Wipeout 2048 for me.

ReaperXL7

So I just picked up Final Fantasy 4 from the sale, and still have 20 to spend on psn. In the mood for some sidescrollers and was thinking about picking up Castlevania Dracula X, and Megaman Mavrick Hunter.

Can anyone tell me how these turned out on PSP, and if they are worth picking up on Vita? If neither is worth it I may go for Tatics Orge instead, but wanted to see if anyone could offer up so advice on these two. I wish PSX games were avalible now so I could just pick up Symphony of the Night, but no luck yet obviously.

frequency

So I just picked up Final Fantasy 4 from the sale, and still have 20 to spend on psn. In the mood for some sidescrollers and was thinking about picking up Castlevania Dracula X, and Megaman Mavrick Hunter.

Can anyone tell me how these turned out on PSP, and if they are worth picking up on Vita? If neither is worth it I may go for Tatics Orge instead, but wanted to see if anyone could offer up so advice on these two. I wish PSX games were avalible now so I could just pick up Symphony of the Night, but no luck yet obviously.

As a "metroidvania" fan, I didn't like Castlevania Dracula X too much. I understand it's a pretty faithful port gameplay-wise of the original. The movement feels incredibly stiff and there are some very frustrating segments. I don't think it aged too well. I spent more time just playing the unlocked SotN than anything in that game.

Castlevania Dracula X is great. I love the look of the updated graphics, but being able to unlock the original Rondo certainly helps. Plus, you can unlock Symphony of the Night, making it a pretty major bargain.

How much is FF4 at the sale price? US Store right? I had heard that wasn't part of the sale, and isn't it over at midnight? I might be screwed, but not the end of the world I guess.

ReaperXL7

Castlevania Dracula X is great. I love the look of the updated graphics, but being able to unlock the original Rondo certainly helps. Plus, you can unlock Symphony of the Night, making it a pretty major bargain.

How much is FF4 at the sale price? US Store right? I had heard that wasn't part of the sale, and isn't it over at midnight? I might be screwed, but not the end of the world I guess.

Hmm, did not know that Dracula X came with unlockable Symphony thats a deff buy. As for FFIV it's $20 for the sale without Plus, if you have plus it's $15. It's my favorite FF so it was a no brainer for me to slap it on my Vita, i'm really going to have to invest in the 32gig memory card in the near future.

So many PSP games that I have yet to play, and so many classics on the store, I just hope they keep adding games, because i'd love to pick up Star Ocean 1&2, Megaman Powered up, and a bunch of other games I missed out on for the PSP.

Oldschool

so if you play it 6 times you should get all the endings? do you keep your powers or something (i dont know much about the game) to get higher scores or something?

is it a no brainer 100% game?

Yeah, guess so. You can increase your health and ink getting through the stages, so yeah, when you replay the game you get a bit more power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom