• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekobo

Glad I can finally play most of my minis on my US Vita now. Sucks that the best two, Where is My Heart? and Velocity, aren't compatible, though. Ditto for other favorites like PacMan CE and Tetris (PSN). :(

spats

7257242306_bfc21e8619_z.jpg

Local multiplayer trophies? Come on guys.

It's the new AR game, Table Top Tanks.

call me a trophywhore whatever...I didnt buy this just for that reason.

EDIT:thats not 100% true....its more i wouldve bought it if i could get 100% but didnt want it to begin with cause its AR

KalBalboa

Banned
7257242306_bfc21e8619_z.jpg

What do you make of the game so far? I'm go Vita crazy this week with Pixeljunk Monsters, Doodle Fit and Wipeout, and this looks like another potential winner to put on my Vita.

spats

What do you make of the game so far? I'm go Vita crazy this week with Pixeljunk Monsters, Doodle Fit and Wipeout, and this looks like another potential winner to put on my Vita.

It plays like a cheap game (maybe because it is :p). Controls aren't very responsive, collision detection with the barriers is also pretty unreliable. The AR stuff seems to work OK. It's a fun little distraction for some pocket change in my opinion. You can create your own AR playing fields too, and the tools for that are quite neat.

Also I got 75% of the trophies in one sitting, if you're into that sort of thing. Barring the shitty, unfair multiplayer trophy of course.

edit: forgot to mention that there's a day 1 patch when you start it up for the first time. Very small though.

Merovin

Really wish there was an easy way to look through previous downloads when re-downloading things. Sony really need to get PSone games working on VITA asap, I want to play me some classics.

OmegaZero

The only genre I don't like is horror. I bet scary games won't deliver well on Vita. Screen may be too small, and audio too soft (Muahahaha).

I'm more worried about mura being visible, since you'll be dealing with lots of dark backgrounds and ect.

KalBalboa

Banned
Really wish there was an easy way to look through previous downloads when re-downloading things. Sony really need to get PSone games working on VITA asap, I want to play me some classics.

Yeah, you can spend an eternity combing through that list. I usually just find the game in the store and download it that way.

CLEEK

is $22.95 a good price for EG? this is on the Australian store

Hell yeah. Every Sony console should have an EG game built into it.

The Vita version is my third experience with the EG series (owning the PS3 and first PSP game). Aside from the improved graphics, the core games only has superficial changes from the previous games. It's the best game in the best series of golf games, but this version shares all of design frustrations of its predecessors. The online / daily challenges add a lot to this version though.

I have a love/hate/love/hate relationship with the game. It really is wonderful, but can be crushingly hard at times, with a single mistake costing you a tournament. The unlock structure for new characters, clubs, balls, courses etc requires an enormous amount of grinding to generate the money to buy stuff. But when it clicks and you get into a grove with it, it's an incredible game.

Carl

I bought ModNation. Seemed worth it for £12, if only to show Sony that £12 is a good pricepoint. The demo was okay, so meh. Sure i'll get some use out of it.

MooMoo

Finally got around to purchasing Disgaea 3. Look forward to playing it! I equally can't wait for the Gravity Rush demo that should be coming out this Tuesday.

mangaroo

Banned
I posted this elsewhere about modnation, thought you should be warned since no one else is:

Incase anyone else is wondering - the reason modnation was dropped to this price is because it's a POS that runs like a beta version of a game. Surprised they were even allowed to sell it the fps was so poor. Will consider everybody's golf.
Edit: It seems harsh but it's not. There needs to be some standards. The gameplay which was otherwise great (especially the excellant drifting and weapon mechanics) was ridiculously stunted as a result of the poor performance - so what's the point of playing it. Don't expect anyone but the biggest fans of the series (or inexperienced gamers OR very easy going people) found it any different. I didn't even really care about the lack of online and was really impressed by the customisability/variety and depth of the game. But not only is the fps piss poor, the loading times are bugged if you download too many dlc levels. Had to wipe save progress and all downloads (by backing up and deleting the files then restoring - took 3 hours due to the save files reading time being f'd). Read others had the same issue. If you don't progress in the campaign or download too many mods (20ish seems fine so far) then the loading times are acceptable for me. FPS is not. Never 30fps, usually low 20s, with the stage 3 weapons/dust trail in front of you it goes into the low teens at least. NO fixes. Deleting it to save memory card space - only vita game i've done that with. I know it's not a rare opinion on their weekly sony blog posts either. Some maps are really fantastic and the game does have its moments but overall it wasn't worth the frustration I had with it. I am particularly picky with fps I know, but this was below the line - it mean't you didn't have/lost the control you should have over the kart and sometimes you could hardly see what was coming. I play wipeout really well at the stable 30fps it pulls off. Not to mention the rubber banding..Perhaps its issues are more palatable at the new price..just don't say I didn't warn you :) If you do get it check these posts for the weekly (free) dlc track recommendations (hot picks). I would recommend waiting for Sonic and Sega Transformed to be honest. I'm really looking forward to it. Who knows, LBP Karting may even end up on vita too. You can probably live without a karting game, especially one that has significant issues, for a few months. Particularly negative about the recommendation even at the price also because they misled us in an interview about online and no response to all the customers asking about the issues.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I suck at Motorstorm RC. For some reason, I just can't wrap my head around the controls..

I feel like I'm not in control with some of the cars. It took me a lot of practice to get comfortable but even then it's a lot more difficult than Pacific Rift. Oddly compelling though when I'm not getting frustrated.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The game I've played the most is Treasures of Montezuma :/ I don't know why. It's the Peggle of match 3. The difference between me getting like 15k score and 500k score is purely luck and whether or not there's enough crystals to activate powerups. It sucks you in with a daily scratch card for crystals, slowly regenerating lives, keeping up with friends on the scoreboard, etc. Whenever I turn on the Vita it's the first game I play. I wouldn't ever purchase crystals but I think I need to delete it before it sucks up more of my game time. Maybe Popcap can release Bejeweled 3 on the Vita to fill the void.

Carl

The game I've played the most is Treasures of Montezuma :/ I don't know why. It's the Peggle of match 3. The difference between me getting like 15k score and 500k score is purely luck and whether or not there's enough crystals to activate powerups. It sucks you in with a daily scratch card for crystals, slowly regenerating lives, keeping up with friends on the scoreboard, etc. Whenever I turn on the Vita it's the first game I play. I wouldn't ever purchase crystals but I think I need to delete it before it sucks up more of my game time. Maybe Popcap can release Bejeweled 3 on the Vita to fill the void.

By the looks of the DLC, lots of people actually buy crystals :|

Same here.... once i realized how slow it is to level though without using crystals, i stopped playing as much >_<

The actual gameplay is same addictive stuff that made puzzle quest big hit.

I wish they made PQ for Vita :(

Spwn

This wasn't posted? MGS2 HD on Vita gameplay.

http://youtu.be/65NG948ddOE

Just how many times does he say "hi-def graphics" in that video? I had to stop watching because that began to annoy me pretty fast.

Bought a Vita last weekend and been playing a ton of Wipeout 2048. The load times are pretty bad as we all know, but I've been enjoying it almost more than I enjoyed Wipeout HD. Maybe that's because it feels so much easier for some reason. Also been playing a bit of Rayman Origins and it looks just gorgeous. Really looking forward to playing Persona 4 for the first time on the Vita and also going to grab Lumines and Gravity Rush when I got time.

spats

Just how many times does he say "hi-def graphics" in that video? I had to stop watching because that began to annoy me pretty fast.

Bought a Vita last weekend and been playing a ton of Wipeout 2048. The load times are pretty bad as we all know, but I've been enjoying it almost more than I enjoyed Wipeout HD. Maybe that's because it feels so much easier for some reason. Also been playing a bit of Rayman Origins and it looks just gorgeous. Really looking forward to playing Persona 4 for the first time on the Vita and also going to grab Lumines and Gravity Rush when I got time.

Congrats on the purchase. If you're at all into Super Stardust, get SSD. It's the best version.

Spwn

Congrats on the purchase. If you're at all into Super Stardust, get SSD. It's the best version.

I might, although didn't really love the PS3 version. If it ever goes on sale I'll buy it. I'm a cheapskate, I know. Bought the 3G version as it was only 269&#8364; and also bought a 16GB memory card. My wallet am cry!

Cudder

i agree. WTF is up with people saying their games are HD on the Vita? bugs the shit out of me man.

krumble

ok need some advise guys

I have one retail game presently
2 x 32GB memory cards and 1 x 8GB card

Whats the best case option I have considering I want to go mainly digital.. so really I want a case that stores memory cards rather than game cards... Its really annoying that the cards don't come with some kind of protective case.

I have the official sony one presently which has space for 2 memory cards, so at the moment I'm ok.. but if PSOne support comes that won't last long...

mingus

ok need some advise guys

I have one retail game presently
2 x 32GB memory cards and 1 x 8GB card

Whats the best case option I have considering I want to go mainly digital.. so really I want a case that stores memory cards rather than game cards... Its really annoying that the cards don't come with some kind of protective case.

I have the official sony one presently which has space for 2 memory cards, so at the moment I'm ok.. but if PSOne support comes that won't last long...

wat

If you're creative enough maybe you could convert your one retail cartridge into a memory card holder to fit into the cartridge slot. Otherwise, this one holds 3, this one has 5 slots, and you can probably fit 29 in this one.

Don't you have bigger problems in life ?

They are higher resolution than competing handheld so what's the problem ?

This. Nobody bitches about the PS3 and XBox 360 claiming to be HD, even though most of the games are running at resolutions not much greater than the Vita on big screen TVs. Oh, and the fact that 960x544 on a 5" screen two feet away from my eyes is just as apparently "HD" as my 1920x1080 is on my 60" television at 8 feet, relatively speaking. All this bickering about "HD is only x" is kind of anal, imho... HD is whatever the marketers want it to be, and always has been...

How did the gameplay in MGS 2/3 stood the test of time ? Would it be good place to start my contact with the series. ( I only remember peace walker demo on PSP having really awfull controls)

How did the gameplay in MGS 2/3 stood the test of time ? Would it be good place to start my contact with the series. ( I only remember peace walker demo on PSP having really awfull controls)
All four Metal Gear Solid games hold up incredibly well and they're still fun to play today. Hopefully Sony will add PS1 support soon so you can play the series in its intended order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom