• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general advice thread, part 3 | Veni, vidi, Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man wtf has happened to me? I bought Metal Gear HD collection with the Vita, and I can't stomach to even play more than 5 minutes of either game before turning it off. I guess I've played them too many times, but the quality is there. On the flip side I'm loving Mortal kombat and can't wait to go pick up Hot shots golf and Virtua Tennis 4.
Maybe I need to get some older PSP games like monster hunter or god eater burst for longer sessions, but I feel like on the train the sports games really shine.

DR2K

Banned
Does Metal Gear Solid PW work on Vita? I can't find it in the store even though I've bought it in the past.

Knights in the Nightmare has absorbed me in all it's SRPG/Bullet Hell madness. Lol, at first I didn't know what was going on, but then something clicked and this game is awesome. So if you like SRPGs and bullet hell games and love you a dense story and tutorial then this game is a steal at $7.49.

The only way Id get IAP's on ToMB is if they had a one off purchase so bonuses and stuff cost no gems. I hate the pay to get higher score systems. Why I don't really like bejeweled blitz but i really like the normal version.

Really trying to not look at new games. I have this annoying back catalogue to finish off. And some are all long ass RPG's (luna, tactics and TiTS) lol.

Although MGS HD is kinda calling to me as a purchase next month.

Its odd because the only other thing thats done this to me is steam with there crazy sales. For my xbox I always just bought the odd game here and there for multiplayer.

WOW I broke that rule quickly. Just ordered MGS HD collection from Amazon for £21.51.

I SWEAR that is for a while now *shifty eyes*

DR2K

Banned
Media Go isn't compatible with Vita for some reason. MGS: PW should show up on the Vita store eventually... Right now it's PS3 transfer only in the west.

Gotta love digital content. Not an option right now unfortunately.

DBT85

LBP just pre ordered from Amazon.

Just went t play the Vita and the battery was dead. Then I remembered that I had left it downloading the latest Escape Plan patch at 900mb.

FireCloud

I've been banging out a bunch of psp games on the vita videos lately. I still have about 20 to go (and I'm sure I'll buy more). Anyway, check it out. http://foryourvitahype.com/2012/07/03/psp-games-on-the-vita-a-video-project-in-progress/

And for the new guys, which there seems to be a lot of, here's a compilation video I did a week back. I'm pretty proud of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GILll4h_UU&sns=em

My friend who helps with the site who lives in japan (he is from nz) is playing dokuro currently and loving it. I need a new vita game in the worst way :/

Just wanted to thank you for your videos. I used them to determine what of the Atlus games I wanted to pickup. I knew very little about several of them. Your video made it easier to take the plunge on some of those.

Turns out I basically grabbed almost everything except that fighting game.

SMT:persona
SMT:persona 2
Class of Heroes
Crimsom Gem Saga
Hexyz Force
Knights in the Nightmare
Riviera: The Promised Land
Yggdra Union

After getting 8 Atlus RPGs I had just enough left in my wallet to get Mutant Blob Attack. I think I'm set for a while.

smr00

Banned
Media Go isn't compatible with Vita for some reason. MGS: PW should show up on the Vita store eventually... Right now it's PS3 transfer only in the west.
So if i buy PW on my PS3 i can transfer it to my Vita here in NA?

Also i picked up the MGS HD collection for Vita (i have only ever played and beat MGS4, played a few hours of PW on a PSP but hated the button aiming) and maybe 10 minutes of MGS2 on PS2 when it came out a long time ago.

Anything i need to know before diving into this collection? any good tips? and should i play MGS 3 before 2? or 2 then 3? PW before both? does it matter?

smr00

Banned
Yes. I just wouldn't buy Peace Walker now though. Isn't it like $30 on PSN? Wait for a sale or something.
I wish they had some trade in offer for UMD to Digital :(

I have most Atlus/Xseed etc. physical games i would love to play on Vita but i just can't justify dipping again, although i don't have the Persona games (never played them) and i know that sale is going on but i don't know if i am ready to invest in the time it takes to play those games.

Koroviev

I wish they had some trade in offer for UMD to Digital :(

I have most Atlus/Xseed etc. physical games i would love to play on Vita but i just can't justify dipping again, although i don't have the Persona games (never played them) and i know that sale is going on but i don't know if i am ready to invest in the time it takes to play those games.

I'd jump on P3P for $10. P2IS will go lower. It shouldn't be $30 normally.

The vita is eating my wallet...just folded and bought another $50 psn card, now I'm sitting at $80, and still not sure what to get, I'm not sold on Unit 13 yet (sad I missed the sale at gamestop)...I'm thinking uncharted, any thoughts on Ninja Gaiden Sigma plus?

Koroviev

The vita is eating my wallet...just folded and bought another $50 psn card, now I'm sitting at $80, and still not sure what to get, I'm not sold on Unit 13 yet (sad I missed the sale at gamestop)...I'm thinking uncharted, any thoughts on Ninja Gaiden Sigma plus?

Are you going all-digital? Because I wouldn't pay PSN prices for either of those games.

What's the word on Unchained Blades? I heard this was released but haven't had time to see if it's available on the Vita.

Not available on Vita. Game is not receiving promising reviews.

LBP just pre ordered from Amazon.

Just went t play the Vita and the battery was dead. Then I remembered that I had left it downloading the latest Escape Plan patch at 900mb.

What?
I have 400 mb over at this point,
So I can't even patch the game right now?
900 mb is ridiculous...

Are you going all-digital? Because I wouldn't pay PSN prices for either of those games.

Not available on Vita. Game is not receiving promising reviews.

Not all digital, mixing it up actually, I just want more vita games to play, I've stocked up on some psp titles already, wouldn't mind a few digital titles

Unit 13 i thought was great and my first platinum. Bite sized spec ops action. No story just missions. AI is totally retarded but it kinda doesn't matter. Its just a really fun game if you like that genre.

Uncharted is great as well. Its an uncharted game. I havn't played the PS3 ones but from what I hear its closer to the style of 1 than 3 with more concentration on exploring and puzzles than killing and giant set pieces. I really loved it, completed it 3 times (progressively harder difficulties ending on crushing) and am going through it slowly again as and when im in the mood to get the last bounties.

Ninja Gaiden I thought was OK. From what I have read, fans of the games many versions say its great but its the worst version due to 30 fps (honestly not an issue for me) and some overly powerful rewards you can get. Personally I really enjoyed the first 70% of the game except the bosses which are mostly annoying as hell and break the pace of the game. The last 30% is just annoying to me. I havn't completed i and probably never will. Im near the end of the game in some maze full of ghost piranha that are about the most annoying enemy I have ever faced in a game. Also tons of bosses at this point which arn't fun. Just cheap shotting machines. If you LOVE ninja gaiden then im sure its great. As for me, I love the basic combat but the bosses and end game are not fun at all for me.

Koroviev

Not all digital, mixing it up actually, I just want more vita games to play, I've stocked up on some psp titles already, wouldn't mind a few digital titles

I would go for non-launch titles, unless you know that you're going to play the games for many hours. Prices are dropping, and $20 is becoming the retail standard for those early titles.

I would go for non-launch titles, unless you know that you're going to play the games for many hours. Prices are dropping, and $20 is becoming the retail standard for those early titles.

Whats the issue with paying full price for launch titles if they are perfectly decent games like Wipeout and uncharted???

Its not like they were poorly made games.

OmegaZero

The last 30% is just annoying to me. I havn't completed i and probably never will. Im near the end of the game in some maze full of ghost piranha that are about the most annoying enemy I have ever faced in a game. Also tons of bosses at this point which arn't fun. Just cheap shotting machines. If you LOVE ninja gaiden then im sure its great. As for me, I love the basic combat but the bosses and end game are not fun at all for me.

The ghost piranha can be beaten with the Vigoorian Flails very easily.
Just press square 3-4 times to do your standard combo, then jump before you do the final hit and press square in midair (hitting more ghost fish) before you land. Repeat until they are dead.

Which bosses are particularly giving you trouble?

Takao

Banned
I wonder who at SCEA decided to put this up on the Vita store before Metal Gear:

As9ehgtCQAE6a7I.jpg

Clearly all Vita owners need 3 $19.99 NBA 2K games.

I wonder who at SCEA decided to put this up on the Vita store before Metal Gear:

As9ehgtCQAE6a7I.jpg

Clearly all Vita owners need 3 $19.99 NBA 2K games.

It's the only way to truly appreciate them! Seriously, Sony needs to do some reductions on PSP prices. They're ridiculous in some areas.

'Cause it's the difference between $20 and as much as $40. No compelling reason to pay double :\

Yeah but you can say that about any game surely? Im just unsure by what it being a launch game means its not worth full price. Do you just mean the games are kind of old now and so should drop in price? If so fair enough but that logic is applied to all games really.

Why pay double? He could pick up 4 of the launch titles for $80 @ retail. Why settle for 2 digital titles...

I read it as because they are launch titles, not because they are cheaper at retail. Im totally down with buying them at retail for less. most my vita games are retail.

The ghost piranha can be beaten with the Vigoorian Flails very easily.
Just press square 3-4 times to do your standard combo, then jump before you do the final hit and press square in midair (hitting more ghost fish) before you land. Repeat until they are dead.

Which bosses are particularly giving you trouble?

none. I just don't find them fun, they just cheap shot you over and over and it breaks the flow. I did them all after however many attepts. I got to the the piranha bit (I did use the flail) and sure, they then fly into you, but its boring and if you don't start it the second one appears you get munched on for ages and.............its just not fun for me lol. I read how far away I was and all I had left after that was a bunch of bosses. Seeing as I don't enjoy them I decided to play other games instead that I would enjoy.

I really did enjoy the game at first but it just grated on me towards the end. I think one of the worst bits about the game is the camera. Its a game all in itself.... and one you will inevitably lose lol.

Ponn

Banned
Whats the issue with paying full price for launch titles if they are perfectly decent games like Wipeout and uncharted???

Its not like they were poorly made games.

because its getting harder and harder to justify paying full price for launch games or any games at release for that matter. Between constant Newegg preorder deals and just about every game going on sale anywhere from 2 weeks to a couple months after release.

*looking at my $10 Mortal Kombat Vita game*

This is the biggest disadvantage of DD it takes too long for them to catch up to retail sale prices. You have to hold out longer to get good prices if you want them digital. That's why it took me a while to pick up Tactics Ogre, FF IV Complete and FF Tactics because I knew I wanted them on a memory card. Right now i'm basically looking at games and if I know for sure i'm going to want the game for keeps I will wait and get it digital download. If i'm unsure its going to be a keeper I will pick it up on sale physical that way I have the option of trading it in if it's not that great or has no replay.

brentech

MLB the show 12 online pissing me off when it comes to earned XP. Played 13 innings with some guy, tied 1-1 and he either disconnects or the network fails us and get absolutely nothing from it.
Last night I played a 10 inning game, lost by a walk off HR in the 10th and get 8 points.

Other games people have left in the 1st or 2nd in inning and I was given like 2 points. I have no idea how their XP works, but with trophies requiring 300xp and 500xp it's kind of an issue.

because its getting harder and harder to justify paying full price for launch games or any games at release for that matter. Between constant Newegg preorder deals and just about every game going on sale anywhere from 2 weeks to a couple months after release.

This is the biggest disadvantage of DD it takes too long for them to catch up to retail sale prices. You have to hold out longer to get good prices if you want them digital. That's why it took me a while to pick up Tactics Ogre, FF IV Complete and FF Tactics because I knew I wanted them on a memory card. Right now i'm basically looking at games and if I know for sure i'm going to want the game for keeps I will wait and get it digital download. If i'm unsure its going to be a keeper I will pick it up on sale physical that way I have the option of trading it in if it's not that great or has no replay.

Yeah I just misinterpreted the comment as launch games in general and not the distinction between buying them retail / digital. If you can get it a lot cheaper at retail than digital then I completely agree. However I didn't understand the mentality of don't pay this much for a launch game (assuming retail / digital were the same price)

Returners

MLB the show 12 online pissing me off when it comes to earned XP. Played 13 innings with some guy, tied 1-1 and he either disconnects or the network fails us and get absolutely nothing from it.
Last night I played a 10 inning game, lost by a walk off HR in the 10th and get 8 points.

Other games people have left in the 1st or 2nd in inning and I was given like 2 points. I have no idea how their XP works, but with trophies requiring 300xp and 500xp it's kind of an issue.

do you have the PS3 version? XP counts are across both versions.

Carl

This is the biggest disadvantage of DD it takes too long for them to catch up to retail sale prices. .

In the US maybe. SCEE have so far done quite a few deals where the PSN version is cheaper than retail :)

brentech

do you have the PS3 version? XP counts are across both versions.
Just Vita, but that shouldn't make it impossible to do. I see some people with about 30 games and a few hundred XP.
The disconnects I've had show 2 single inning games and 1 full game. Other games they haven't counted at all, and as I mentioned, one of those was 13 innings.
Just doesn't make much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom