• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita in 2023

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I was clearing out some old stuff and came across my old PS Vita 1000.

I forgot what a great system this was. It feels great in your hands and the OLED screen is stunning.
I fired up some Killzone Mercenary and I was stunned. I don't remember it looking that good. Lumines and RezoGun also looked great.

Anyone else still using a PS Vita in 2023.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I went back to playing P4G on the Vita. The annoyances I had with the preorder on PS5 coupled with the lack of effort on some current gen ports soured me on rewarding Atlus. I paid 40 on the Vita for it and it's still worth it.

emivita

I went back to playing P4G on the Vita. The annoyances I had with the preorder on PS5 coupled with the lack of effort on some current gen ports soured me on rewarding Atlus. I paid 40 on the Vita for it and it's still worth it.

Maybe it's just fond memories, but P4G on that little jewel that is PSVita (especially 1000) has quite a distinctive charm you can't find on PC and newer consoles version.

I picked up one last year (khaki/black looks amazing), haven’t played a ton because they keep remaking all the games. But there are still a bunch of PS1, PSP, and a few Vita games that haven’t gotten that treatment and I have been enjoying it. Much better handheld than Nintendo’s offerings in terms of power and the dual analog sticks. It’s basically the perfect portable form factor.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Maybe it's just fond memories, but P4G on that little jewel that is PSVita (especially 1000) has quite a distinctive charm you can't find on PC and newer consoles version.
It's class. First Persona game I played and only bought it as the dozens...and dozens of Vita fans praised the hell out of it.

anthony2690

Banned
I remember being blown away by the vita, especially playing blazblue on the device with online too, was crazy, it had a super nice dpad too!

But it quickly came depressing when you matched up with some clown playing online with 3g 🤦‍♂️

The device had excellent ports off:
Sonic and sega all star racing transformed (I'd be frequently playing this Online)
Rayman legends

I would happily replay classic games likes ff7, 8, ffx, Klonoa, tomba, psp Ys games etc.

& I'd enjoy its own original games like Ridge Racer, YS: Memories & more.

I absolutely loved my vita, probably the only handheld I really really enjoyed and played lots.

Huge shame Sony abandoned it really quickly with their own first party support and a even bigger shame there has not been a vita successor imo.

Just rambling on, sorry XD

Last edited:

freefornow

Huge shame Sony abandoned it really quickly with their own first party support and a even bigger shame there has not been a vita successor imo.
Changed my view of Sony permanently. I can honestly look back and say "There it is! That was the moment".
I have so much :messenger_heart: for the system.

If Sony can remaster and release everythin under the sun, then re-release the Vita!! Vita means life!!

There are a couple of games I never finished but wanted to. It is certainly the platform I got closest to actually get through everything PS+ offered.

A PS4P would be nice. (all?) PS4 games had to be Vita remote play compatible and rendering at 720p, maybe even just 540p, with maybe also reducing texture resolution to also safe flash memory space should be doable on something very undervolted AMD should be able to provide. For stream units they need anyway some thousands (?) units for the foreseeable future, unless they want to use power hungry PS5 and 6 units to emulate it or produce regular PS4s forever, so better be upgrading their legacy hw to less energy wasting nodes and sell them as mobile devices too- maybe than also a PS4 Mini too, for 149 or something, to combat the XSS in very low budget markets.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
hQfC1dt.jpg

A must for playing PS1 classics

shaddam

I bought my first oled vita from my first night shift money, I still have it on the original FW and love it. I am planning to platinum KZ Mercenary, I miss only a few singleplayer trophies. It is a sin that soul sacrafice delta is not remastered/playable on ps4/5 with ps plus:messenger_face_steam:
A year ago I bought a second vita for some homebrew stuff. The scene is really good, the console can do some awesome stuff (my last experience with homebrew was with ps2)

Mokus

I finally bought the physical version of Danganronpa v3 two weeks ago for the Vita (it's a bit rare on the system). After I'm done with The Witcher 3 on the PS5, I'm planning to play the whole series on my PS Vita this year. Although I already have the trilogy on the PS4 and the Switch too, I have a strong feeling that it's best to be played on the precious Vita.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Just got mine last year. The system is amazing, but it lacks games. Thankfully those that are there are great, like the Personas, the Vanillaware games and some more.

Perrott

Gold Member

I forgot what a great system this was. It feels great in your hands and the OLED screen is stunning.
I fired up some Killzone Mercenary and I was stunned. I don't remember it looking that good. Lumines and RezoGun also looked great.

Got mine last month (one of those first 3G OLED models) and I'm currently remote-playing Bloodborne on it! The controls feel super great on the Vita.

Unfortunately it'll most likely be the last PS4 game I'll play on the device, since I'm about to jailbreak the console in order to get access to the entire Vita library, as well as to all the PSP and PS1 compatible titles.

spons

Gold Member
Vita OLED is like the Switch OLED: RGB matrix instead of the PenTile crap 99% of smartphones use. I'm glad Sony didn't cheap out on it. Shame they used an LCD panel for further iterations of the device though.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Proprietary sh*t (charger, memory) and lack of support killed an excellent handheld, hardware based
Basically this, I bought one at launch and mostly bought psp and ps1 games for it.

It was released at a bad time for the company financially I know but if they could have cut prices here and there to bring in more handheld third party developers at the time I think it could have taken off more with consumers.

It could have lasted a long time with a few revisions bringing in better io options. Even a better tv out dockable experience using ds4 controllers could have been possible.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

PS Vita.... I have one for the game of my life.... Gravity Rush.

Majormaxxx

Just no. The design, the games scream no. PS VITA is still better in every possible way, minus the fact you need to have a PS TV to play on TV, something the PSP was doing.

I still play mine with CFW. I can max both resolution and FPS. And we have now a new fix for batteries! Most of the recents android ports run really great!
I have been playing GTA3 but stuck on the sniper mission.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I've been meaning to buy one of those for the longest time to play some of its exclusives, but I rarely find myself in a situation where a handheld console would ever be useful to me. If I leave home then it's not to play video games on the go, and I don't really travel either.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I've been meaning to buy one of those for the longest time to play some of its exclusives, but I rarely find myself in a situation where a handheld console would ever be useful to me. If I leave home then it's not to play video games on the go, and I don't really travel either.
Just use it while lying down on the sofa.

dubUD4u.png

Celcius

°Temp. member
I never had a Vita. Sometimes I think about getting one so that I can play Muramasa but then I think it's probably not worth it just for one game.

I never had a Vita. Sometimes I think about getting one so that I can play Muramasa but then I think it's probably not worth it just for one game.
I'm not sure why Muramasa hasn't been re-released on PS4, seems like a strange oversight when we have Odin Sphere and Dragons Crown already. Maybe they're working on it since they finished and released the Switch version of 13 Sentinels last year.

ZoolNL

Sofa, bed, toilet, garage, home office. Also sleep is soooo nice. I play for ten minutes use sleep and carry on a few hours kater in a few seconds. It’s amazing.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I still play mine. Form factor is excellent, game library is not nearly good enough but still plenty of good stuff.

I'm not sure why Muramasa hasn't been re-released on PS4, seems like a strange oversight when we have Odin Sphere and Dragons Crown already. Maybe they're working on it since they finished and released the Switch version of 13 Sentinels last year.
We are getting Grim Grimoire next year, they’re working through the catalog. IMO of course, but I think a lot of people who have been waiting for Muramasa ports will be disappointed.

Krafter

Day one Vita buyer, still use mine daily and is my most played system. Been playing Civ Revolution 2 / Atelier Aeysha / Trails of Cold Steel lately while working at home, good times.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Sold mine this year. Was always an emulation station for me as the first party library was utter dogshit. At least the PSP had some great titles but both were fantastic old game machines.

For actual portability it's great but now I have a Steam Deck (and a Switch) I've just got no use for it.

Trunx81

Vita + Hotline Miami: Best combination after a breakup. Trust me.

Had tons of fun with it, it was my first contact with Minecraft and, of course, the GOAT, PS4G.
Uncharted was good too, even with the forced touch controls.

phant0m

Vita was the only console I ever regret purchasing. The hardware itself is good enough, it was the complete amd total lack of compelling softwares that made it a horrible console.

Gotta disagree here. Sure there aren't a ton of Vita-exclusives but it's got plenty to play, especially if you want to multi-plats on the go:

MGS 2/3 HD (done by Bluepoint)
FF X/X-2 HD
P4G
Danganronpa 1-3 + Ultra Despair Girls
Soul Sacrifice
Tearaway
Killzone Mercenary
Rayman Origins
Steins;Gate / 0
Guacamelee!
Hotline Miami
Axiom Verge
R&C Collection
Muramasa Rebrith
Dragon's Crown

PLUS full back-compat with PSP library.

Last edited:

DryvBy

That was my introduction to Persona. I bought the Vita used and the guy gave me that game. I actually bought it for some other game but whatever. Ended up paying through it twice.

The Vita was such a life saver at work when I was bored.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Proprietary sh*t (charger, memory) and lack of support killed an excellent handheld, hardware based
Just put CFW on it whilst it doesn't fix the issue of the charger, I now use a 512 gig micro SD card in mine.

I mean you don't have a warranty on the machine from Sony anymore let's face it.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Gotta disagree here. Sure there aren't a ton of Vita-exclusives but it's got plenty to play, especially if you want to multi-plats on the go:

MGS 2/3 HD (done by Bluepoint)
FF X/X-2 HD
P4G
Danganronpa 1-3 + Ultra Despair Girls
Soul Sacrifice
Tearaway
Killzone Mercenary
Rayman Origins
Steins;Gate / 0
Guacamelee!
Hotline Miami
Axiom Verge
R&C Collection
Muramasa Rebrith
Dragon's Crown

PLUS full back-compat with PSP library.
Half of those games are ports or remasters of games that I had played back when they originally released(And even if I didn't, wouldn't call those games system sellers), the other half were games that also launched on other systems.

The few exclusives that it had were a hit or miss in terms of their quality.

Mr Branding

Had two Vitas. One silver 2000 model and a Soul Sacrifice SE one and sold both because daaamn the system is barebones regarding software. Switch absolutely killed this system for me and SteamDeck buried it.

FlaffySheeby

Neo Member
Having something that actually fits in your pocket for a change is nice! The Switch is so awkward and weird to carry around, I usually don't like taking it out for that exact reason >. <

I still bring mine out from time to time, and it's hecking convenient

Top Bottom