• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita in 2023

Majormaxxx

I never had a Vita. Sometimes I think about getting one so that I can play Muramasa but then I think it's probably not worth it just for one game.
If you mod it, which is extremely easy, there are dozens of exciting homebrew ports, emulators, you can fit all your cartridge games on a cheap microsd etc. It's an awesome console at the moment.
Vita was the only console I ever regret purchasing. The hardware itself is good enough, it was the complete amd total lack of compelling softwares that made it a horrible console.
I did regret it at the time but 10 years later am enjoying it. Bought the 1000 for uncharted.

Majormaxxx

Having something that actually fits in your pocket for a change is nice! The Switch is so awkward and weird to carry around, I usually don't like taking it out for that exact reason >. <

I still bring mine out from time to time, and it's hecking convenient
The switch is great maybe for airplanes and hotel rooms. The vita - you can play it on the bus or in the park..

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
FTFY.
tU6gVVb.jpg
Wassthatthen?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It was beautiful handheld but it had a cancer
lucEsqk.jpg

This affected everything.
You can look up the cards now and think, oh they must be hard to get that's why they're expensive...
Wrong, that's how much they was back then too.
And this eventually affected it's support too.
Such a shame, all Sony needed to do is release a firmware and adaptor to support SD cards.
But Piracy factors was too strong.

Edit fucking autocorrect 😂

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

It was beautiful handheld but it had a cancer
lucEsqk.jpg

This affected everything.
You can look up the cards now and think, oh they must be hard to get that's why they're expensive...
Wrong, that's how much they was back then too.
And this eventually affected it's supposed too.
Such a shame, all Sony needed to do is release a firmware and adaptor to support SD cards.
But Piracy factors was too strong.
This is now unofficially fixed, although officially the console is retired. But yeah, I used to have the 16gb and it wasn't enough for anything. The official 64gb was prone to getting corrupted..

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Last time I used it was to play Tactics Ogre PSP in 2021. Maybe I should return... I've got a bunch of unplayed games on the system.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I regret not buying another one before they stopped making them. Only option now is used or paying over 300 for a new one.

I had one! Really liked it but was disappointed Sony abandoned it so quickly. Played everything I wanted to try and sold it ages ago.

Highlights for me were P4G, LittleBigPlanet Vita (maybe the most underrated game of all time) and Danganronpa.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
As someone that owns like...six different grips for Vita, I've never seen this before. Do you happen to have a link, kind sir?
I bought it off Amazon so Google this
MODJUEGO L2 R2 Trigger Hand Grip Shell Controller Protective Case for Sony PS Vita 1000
Be aware that this works for OG Vita.

Ali Express has one too

Jesb

It’s been ages since I used it but I’ll never get rid of it. Sucks Sony got out of it. But Sony’s focused on VR now as a compliment to their console.

Agent X

I still use mine all the time. I've got access to a really broad group of games.

I've got a good mix of digital games from the PSP and PS1, along with plenty of native Vita games. I crave a lot of the old 8-bit and 16-bit games, so I've got some emulated classic games and compilation packs from companies like Atari, Sega, SNK, and Capcom. I also like to play some of my PS4 games with Remote Play. It's an amazingly versatile little system!

Loved that thing. I have the oled 1000 version. Still rocking to this day.
Some of my favorites are:
Killzone Mercenary - that entire game was amazing. How rewards worked and the missions themselves. This game was 100000x better than shadowfall or kz3. I really wished they went ahead and made a sequel on ps4 or something, but they never did.

Uncharted GA - amazing game, loved it, was amazing to see on handheld.
Gravity Rush - free form flying using gyro, and stylized. Plus characters and world was amazing.
Ragnarok Odyssey Ace - lesser known title, but wow I played that game so much.
Soul Sacrifice (delta) - you don't find unique stuff like this anymore.
LBP portable. - it was super fun lbp, when it was still a hot property.
Sound shapes - I loved this game and made a ton of levels. Was pissed when I went on recently on ps4/5 and all the levels were gone as they yanked the servers... f u sony , why you kill a small server that probably costs pennies?
Mortal Kombat 9 - just like the ps3 version.
Dragon Crown, Muramasa and Odin Sphere - Amazing 2d games, what ever happened to vanillaware?
new little kings story - remake of the wii game
Persona4g - nuff said.

Plus all the disgaea ports, psp games and ps1 games...
Switch took its place for me but man they really did it wrong after the 2nd year. Sony dropped it. Yet they keep on with shitty vr. Don't understand.

Supple

Banned

Leonidas

I recently started playing my Vita again thanks to me signing up for a year of PS+ Extra. The old Vita games I added to my account are still there, nice to play those games again. I never really played those Vita PS+ games back in the day, but I'm interested in quite a few of them now.

Synless

I remember it fondly. I drove to Walmart after working third shift early in my career and picked one up, Uncharted, and a memory stick. I fired that fucker up, clicked my bubbles and was blown away. Portable Uncharted!!!! It was a thing of beauty.

I loved DJ Max on that thing.

Last edited:

Damigos

Just put CFW on it whilst it doesn't fix the issue of the charger, I now use a 512 gig micro SD card in mine.

I mean you don't have a warranty on the machine from Sony anymore let's face it.
I dont like CFW solutions. I ve tried on my Wii, Switch and psp but its never like the original. And CFW never helped with sales, good software did 😉

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I had one because I wanted to remote play my PS4. It sucked. The only game I bought for it was Persona 4 Golden.

For years I always thought about buying one again but then P4G came to Steam and Switch. So there is no point to owning a Vita anymore.

Majormaxxx

You can hack it to use SD cards
And apparently right now you can hook it up to your computer with video capture software running so it essentially displays on your pc. Since the pc can output to the the TV, this means it can be "hooked up" to the TV in this way... Or just get a PS TV...

Did you guys know that Vita means life? :messenger_heart: :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Got 2 of them, one OLED and a Blue one I ordered from Japan just for the color. 400GB sd card inside each one of them, such a beautiful piece of tech.
Still dreaming of a new iteration with proper L2/R2 support, maybe wifi6 to stream full console / PC games with no lag. Make it happen Sony!

Supple

Banned
Did you guys know that Vita means life? :messenger_heart: :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Got 2 of them, one OLED and a Blue one I ordered from Japan just for the color. 400GB sd card inside each one of them, such a beautiful piece of tech.
Still dreaming of a new iteration with proper L2/R2 support, maybe wifi6 to stream full console / PC games with no lag. Make it happen Sony!
I haven't touched my two Vitas in years. Is there a good easy-to-follow hacking guide you recommend?

Shane89

Sony abandoned (hasan!!) it, so i modded it for homebrew. I would like to see a PS5 remote play app, but apparently noone is doing it.

Esppiral

Just no. The design, the games scream no. PS VITA is still better in every possible way, minus the fact you need to have a PS TV to play on TV, something the PSP was doing.

I still play mine with CFW. I can max both resolution and FPS. And we have now a new fix for batteries! Most of the recents android ports run really great!
Battery fix? What is that? I may be interested my Vita battery duration is abysmal. Goes from 100% to 7x% in a few minutes

i've bought and gotten rid of like 3 vitas. I always ended up not using them.
It finally stuck with me this go around. As now i just use it to play NES/SNES/Genesis games.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I dont like CFW solutions. I ve tried on my Wii, Switch and psp but its never like the original. And CFW never helped with sales, good software did 😉
Thats fair however you can always go back to stock firmware if you decide to sell.

Still carry one around, generally the only handheld I do so given the slim I'm currently using is a featherweight compared to Switch, new 3DS XL & DS when adding weight to my work bag. Plenty of Atelier, Neptunia & Disgaea to play through (y) Putting CFW on it is a god send really as it opens up SD compatibility. Sure you lose the cart slot, but seen as most of my library is PS+ or old review codes I'd take having most of it downloaded to a 256GB SD card instead. Homebrew stuff is decent too, been playing GTA Vice City on it and all I had to do was copy the game files from my steam install - runs really well considering. Managed to also get most of my UMD dumps & save files from the PSP, will finish Valkyria Chronicles 3 some day. Even without all the CFW goodies it is still a capable handheld these days though.

I haven't touched my two Vitas in years. Is there a good easy-to-follow hacking guide you recommend?
it's easy easy, just get sd2vita card and depending on which firmware you are there's a few different options. Don't think I can link stuff like that here, but in general google will display the right results both in video format and comprehensive guides on the first links.

just key in ps vita henkaku :)

Top Bottom