• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita just got a new firmware update, likely to fix Trinity exploit

Bullet Club

DUpOAmf.gif

PS Vita just got a new firmware update, likely to fix Trinity exploit

Sony may be done making PlayStation Vita handhelds, but it’s certainly not done plugging in security holes.

Sony has released a new firmware update for the PlayStation Vita, dubbed 3.71. The new update is intended to fix a security flaw that could allow owners to run homebrew games on the handheld.

Homebrew does include pirated software, of course, hence why companies are often in a race against modders and hackers to plug whatever security holes they rely on to run their work.

Users on Reddit spotted the new firmware today, with many opting not to update so as not to lose access to their homebrew collection.

The timing of this firmware update is certainly interesting. Just a month ago, the modding community created a new jailbreak they dubbed Trinity, which leverages an exploit chain in Vita firmware.

The exploit works with the then-most recent firmware, 3.70, which means the new update is likely intended to stop that from working.

For now, Reddit users report that you can still spoof the console’s firmware version through the settings to continue playing online, which should solve some of their problems – at least until whatever new security measures in 3.71 are broken.

Sony officially discontinued the PS Vita earlier this year, and is no longer offering PS Vita (or PS3) games as part of PS Plus, so it’s a little surprising to see a new firmware update for the ill-fated handheld.

Source: VG24/7

Cattlyst

I'm no expert in these matters, but I wonder if they keep the security on the Vita up to date to prevent some obscure way of opening up the PS4 or something out of the public domain. Makes you think. Maybe there's some exploit that can be used via the remote play function or something. I'm probably talking utter manure, but you never know (and it's always cool to dream up new conspiracy theories!)

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I hope Sony doesn’t shut down their store front. I still buy digital content on there, especially the PSP line. I’m not a homebrew user, so that’s not a big deal to me.

Ozrimandias

Sony stopped the production of that console
It wasn't supported properly when it was neccesary
Was kept alive only in Japan
Now its a Niche console
Got new life after trinity

But Sony wants the Vita Burn, Buried, and Dead.
I mean, why a new firmware on a console that Sony abandon

FranXico

Sony stopped the production of that console
It wasn't supported properly when it was neccesary
Was kept alive only in Japan
Now its a Niche console
Got new life after trinity

But Sony wants the Vita Burn, Buried, and Dead.
I mean, why a new firmware on a console that Sony abandon
Fucking Sony of America hates handhelds and is behind the poor support from day one.

The Vita is a marvelous console.....had so much potential......wasted.

no . it just came out too late and it was too expensive

it shoulda came out in 2009-2011 at most. with no touchpad or camera. it should have been the PSP 2

it had 0 potential at 2013 with that overpriced tag because of weird touchpad tech and an OLEd screen and overpriced propriety sd cards

nobody wants to spend 400 dollars upfront on a handheld.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
version spoofing says hi

Last edited by a moderator:

Rayderism

Well, thanks for the heads-up.....I updated mine to 3.71. It's 100% legit, so I don't care about pirating anything on it, or even homebrew for that matter.

Anyway, I feel the Vita basically died not only for lack of many good games, but the prohibitively expensive and proprietary memory cards it required.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Well, thanks for the heads-up.....I updated mine to 3.71. It's 100% legit, so I don't care about pirating anything on it, or even homebrew for that matter.

Anyway, I feel the Vita basically died not only for lack of many good games, but the prohibitively expensive and proprietary memory cards it required.
If you modded yours you'd been able to use microSD cards. That is what I did for mine after the vita memory card started to fail. Oh and those expensive pieces of shit ALL fail btw.

RavageX

If you modded yours you'd been able to use microSD cards. That is what I did for mine after the vita memory card started to fail. Oh and those expensive pieces of shit ALL fail btw.

That's no lie. I have one of each size, and like 2 other 4gb cards...all have errors/issues.

That's what led me to figuring out how to use the sdcards with it. All my games are legit, but considering how much those memory cards cost just to have them die.....well screw that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
That's no lie. I have one of each size, and like 2 other 4gb cards...all have errors/issues.

That's what led me to figuring out how to use the sdcards with it. All my games are legit, but considering how much those memory cards cost just to have them die.....well screw that.
Dude I bought 2 32GB cards 3 years ago so yeah :/

Rayderism

Yeah, I know you're right, but my Vita mostly collects dust in a drawer anyway. But you know, I do still have my PSP (A.K.A. Pirated Software Player, LOL).....and it collects dust too. I just stopped with the hacking and pirating years ago. Not judging anyone, I just decided to be 100% legit on everything after Nintendo DS and PSP. I went 100% digital with Vita and PS4 and I don't want to jeopardize my extensive digital library by possibly getting banned and losing literally HUNDREDS of PSN purchases.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I know you're right, but my Vita mostly collects dust in a drawer anyway. But you know, I do still have my PSP (A.K.A. Pirated Software Player, LOL).....and it collects dust too. I just stopped with the hacking and pirating years ago. Not judging anyone, I just decided to be 100% legit on everything after Nintendo DS and PSP. I went 100% digital with Vita and PS4 and I don't want to jeopardize my extensive digital library by possibly getting banned and losing literally HUNDREDS of PSN purchases.
Mine is all legit as well. Modding your Vita isn't about piracy but actually keeping it alive lol. But alright.

JSoup

Banned
I still have a small Vita collection to work through and I'm dreading the day those piddly little toothpicks they call control sticks crap out on me for the third time.

Otherwise not a bad little machine.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Memory cards that facilitate purchase of software from the PSN store.

It’s baffling, they should’ve been free if anything. Sony bit of their nose to spite their face.

Last edited:
Top Bottom