• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita OS Thread: Beautiful Chaos

I can't wait for the preorders to open. Outside of a few launch titles I want to get, I have several PSP games I've been aching to play since I sold my PSP Go.

bob page

The interface is anything but beautiful. It's inconsistent and ugly and doesn't go well with the beauty of the hardware.

Sony desperately needs some new UI designers.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Facebook? That was one of the main reasons I was wanting a smartphone. Damn, Vita, you beasting. Also, fucking win @ region free. Let the cries of Sony fanboyism run rampant, let the reviews blasting the poor battery life pile up in the digital flow of information. In the end, they'll be begging for it's superb features and great launch lineup. Kaz spoke of introducing the right product at the right time. Soon that product will be a reality, and Sony will be crowned king of the portable market. Or better than kings. Gods.

page.jpg

impressive functionality but it is ugly as fuck with those bubble icons. Wish they had done just something more minimalistic and stylish.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jeff_Rigby would be proud

Chuckled there.

Great OT Bad_Boy. Nice to have all this info in one place. And damn the OS if full of all sort of stuff! I'm impressed.

Hyuga

Banned
bytesized said:
impressive functionality but it is ugly as fuck with those bubble icons. Wish they had done just something more minimalistic and stylish.
Because it's f+cking great for a portable. Use it and you will see.

Emitan

Hyuga said:
Because it's f+cking great for a portable. Use it and you will see.
He's complaining about aesthetics, not usability. It's not going to suddenly look different because he's using it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Jinfash said:
Bad_Boy said:
Do you have a link of the video? And at what time does it occur? I can always add it to the page.
Sure, gimme some time.
Ok, the trailer I was referring to is the one you already have in the OP. Here's a link to where the OS trailer starts during the conference anywas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqs7hLvedfA&feature=player_detailpage#t=144s

Some of the new things that were confirmed but not shown up until the trailer (sorry, can't create gifs):

- Lock screen w/ date and time:

XIEfw.png

(The one they showed during the demo w/ the puppy wallpaper was empty)

- Notification center:

uKf0g.png

- Updated "Index Page" design:

Stj1n.png

The icons are sharper, and the integration looks slick in motion (a folder's tagged tabs, they take the design of the their respective LiveAreas)

For reference, it used to look like this in the concept document...

PlayStation-Vita_OS-14.png

(It looks like there are persistent PS store, Playstation portal, and Welcome Park shortcuts at bottom of the updated look. I hope it's customizable)

That's all I was able to spot, someone with sharper eyes and Japanese knowledge will definitely bring more stuff to our attention.

Magnus

Both the vertical bars/bubble interface look terrible. Sorry.

Would prefer the classic elegance of the XMB compared to this hideousness, honestly.

If games are treated as apps, do they work like smartphones where you can close one app, open up another, and then go back to the first right where you left off?

leroidys

Yeah I hate the UI, but am still beyond hyped for the vita. The reason that the XMB was so great was because of its sleekness and simplicity. This is more akin to yahoo.jp or something, which is par for the course in Japanese design. There's definitely a huge gulf between east and west over UI design.

Does anyone know how the Japanese press/gamers have responded to the Vita's bubble UI?

thuway

Honestly, Sony might as well just use the Opera Web browser. That thing is quite possibly the best browser on the Android Platform.

Emitan

leroidys said:
Yeah I hate the UI, but am still beyond hyped for the vita. The reason that the XMB was so great was because of its sleekness and simplicity. This is more akin to yahoo.jp or something, which is par for the course in Japanese design. There's definitely a huge gulf between east and west over UI design.

Does anyone know how the Japanese press/gamers have responded to the Vita's bubble UI?
Yahoo.jp and yahoo.com are both ugly, though.

M3d10n

°°ToMmY°° said:
They said Vita will always prioritizes games, so if it's running low on memory for the game it will shutdown background apps.
That's now how dedicated gaming hardware works.

The memory used by background apps and games must never overlap. This is one of the major differences between consoles/handhelds and PCs/smartphones. Even the game shuts down the apps, memory could get fragmented and cause a range of problems, from performance issues to outright crashes.

I think my main issue with this is that there's so many different visual styles for each of the different menus. I know someone earlier said it was because they're basically apps and each is like its own self contained world or whatever but there needs to be some level of consistency among the system menus. Feature-wise, it's pretty cool, aside from the touch minigames (maybe if this was like 2004 where there were hardly any other touch screen devices they'd make some sense...)

leroidys

Billychu said:
Yahoo.jp and yahoo.com are both ugly, though.

Yeah, but my general impression is that westerners hate it because it has a bunch of random shit everywhere (though it is sleeker than it used to be), whereas japan loves Yahoo because there's tons of shit on the front page they can access.

Sony is smart and sees the convergence of portable games machines and smartphones ahead. I wouldn't be surprised if their next handheld was even closer to a smartphone than the vita. Nintendo on the other hand..

sikkinixx

Great OP

Fucking t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e UI. It's just so abysmal. Cluttered blobs of stuff everywhere, I hope maybe they let us switch back to XMB for most things. *sigh* but probably not. Oh well. Judging by how expensive the memory cards are I'll probably just keep all my downloaded games on my PC like I do with my PSP Go and just transfer when necessary.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
XMB would be a TERRIBLE idea for a touchscreen interface. At least with this if I want something, I press it. With XMB, it's swipe to the left, swipe down, select. That works great with standard controls, but with touch, not so much.

chubigans said:
XMB would be a TERRIBLE idea for a touchscreen interface. At least with this if I want something, I press it. With XMB, it's swipe to the left, swipe down, select. That works great with standard controls, but with touch, not so much.

Why can't they give you the option to use the XMB with only the dpad or analog sticks?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Deadly Joker said:
Why can't they give you the option to use the XMB with only the dpad or analog sticks?
Because then there'd be two OS styles to have to keep up with instead of just one. There's a reason why MS nukes the previous OS style with each new major dashboard refresh on the 360 (besides memory, obviously).

Kazerei

Banned
Thanks for putting together all this info, OP.

There's alot of different colors in the screenshots, but hopefully they're just doing that to show the variety. I'd much rather stick to one theme/color.

Oh sweet, you can turn off the bubbles! The banners still aren't as nice as the XMB, but they're way, way better than the bubbles.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
chubigans said:

Well, it's not like you don't swipe left and right or up and down here. You travel through different screens instead of different icons but at the end of the day you get to "click" on about the same amount of icons you'd get my swiping the XMB.

For example, if you go to the game section of the Vita OS (swipe), you are greeted with a fixed amount of game icons. If you want more, you need to swipe down or whatever.

If you go to the game section of the PS3 XMB, you are greeted with a fixed amount of game icons as well (those at the top of the list). If you want more, you need to scroll down that list just like you would swipe to a different screen on the Vita.

Not saying XMB would work as well as the current Vita OS. I'm just saying that it is not so much a matter of how you navigate the interface, but rather of how icons are arranged. I think Vita OS has more icons to choose from per section compared to what XMB offers because it takes advantage of the whole screen rather than just a column.

Highlaw

Banned
Good work OP. I don't like it though... too disjointed, there doesn't seem to be a theme - circles, then squares then round rectangles, various colors and sizes, different icons...

At least compared to NXE/XMB

krYlon

badcrumble said:
Oh sweet, you can turn off the bubbles! The banners still aren't as nice as the XMB, but they're way, way better than the bubbles.

This. The first thing I will do is get rid of those bubbles. The banners are quite nice

Reallink

Both interfaces look cheap and remind me of some off-brand PMP/MP3 for tweens. I guess that's to be expected given their target demographic though.

teiresias

I like the vertical bar navigation, but could do without the bubble icon navigation. IMO, the bubble icon navigation is only that shape as to forgo any lawsuits from Apple over them feeling they have a patent on square icons.

darkwing

teiresias said:
I like the vertical bar navigation, but could do without the bubble icon navigation. IMO, the bubble icon navigation is only that shape as to forgo any lawsuits from Apple over them feeling they have a patent on square icons.
yup, considering to what is happening to Samsung and Apple

Hazelhurst

CorrisD said:
The only thing that disappointed me about this otherwise great future handheld is the lack of, or at least so far no mention of, built-in memory.
I understand trying to make some money back on overly expensive proprietary cards, but to have nothing from the get go annoys me.

Otherwise I can't wait to get one, can't argue with being able to get some trophies while out and about, lol.
Yeah there's money to be made, but I don't think that was their main reasoning for the lack of onboard storage. They had to get cost of the Vita down.

I still wish they had a $399 option with onboard storage (16 or 32GB) plus the storage expansion slot.

Top Bottom