• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 | Light and Slim. 6 Colors. No More OLED, Instead Cute Penguins

Got my Lime Green one today, absolutely love it. Feels great.

LCD vs OLED isn't too bad. The colors are less vibrant, but I feel like sub native-res games look much better on the 2000. Anyone else think this way too?

Has it gotten any discolor in the back?

Does the color become dingy?

(Sort of like how some white iphone cases become beige over time from holding them)

I'm torn in the black/pink and white/lime combo :0/

Jockel

(Sort of like how some white iphone cases become beige over time from holding them)

I've been rocking the white/lime one since shortly after release, still looks as lovely as on day one. <3
That is one fancy-ass handheld.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, I was pretty much decided on the white/lime one after seeing it on Engadget's review shots:
vitareviewsoftware.jpg
newvitareview.jpg

It really is a thing of beauty. Can't wait for mine to arrive. Crossing my fingers it'll be tomorrow (we had a public holiday this week in Costa Rica and that disrupted DHL's shipping process).

Yazuka

Anyone know when and if this one will be released in Sweden? Would like to get my hands on one, but I don't really want to import one.
Just the fact that the L & R triggers are better is reason enought for me to get a 2000 model.

Random question: do import Vitas still have the issue where in the OS, Circle and X do the opposite of what they do in North America? And this isn't a setting you can change, it's baked into the firmware or somesuch?

I've been rocking the white/lime one since shortly after release, still looks as lovely as on day one. <3
That is one fancy-ass handheld.

Just ordered a white-lime system + HORI screen protector from Amazon.

So excited!

Does anyone know if this lime pouch sucks?

Also, does the back need a screen protector for the touchpad like the 1000 model?

I have an imported 2000 model and yes, that remains an "issue".

Hrm. Are the prompts in English, at least? (I'm guessing yes, since my US PSP can switch between Japanese and English, but better to double-check in case I ever decide I want a colour variant instead of the black US one.)

Hrm. Are the prompts in English, at least? (I'm guessing yes, since my US PSP can switch between Japanese and English, but better to double-check in case I ever decide I want a colour variant instead of the black US one.)

From what I understand Games function as they are: X is still X, O is still O.

It would just be menu and PSN stuff, where you would input O to confirm, instead of X.

Not certain though....

I am certain touch screen input rectifies all worries ^_^

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got an email from amazon UK today - buy a slim vita (only black, £158) and get a game for free. Most of the games are Sony ones, so have either been on PS+ or heavily discounted, but it's better than nothing?

Got a white + lime one from japan, along with a 64Gb card. Definitely feels lighter and thinner, and looks great, but it does feel less substantial than the 1000 - that felt like it was carved from granite.

Don't like the dock either - much more difficult to attach the vita and it doesn't sit level as easily as the old one (plus I had to stick it to the surface to stop it being twisted by the cable). I wanted a dock to sit it next to my PS4, but I might end up not using it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

A Japanese one will default to Japanese on the language select screen when you first start it up, but once you select English, everything will be in English.

You do get the O and X flipped, but only in the OS (just use touch) and not in games. Certainly not as big an issue as my Japanese PS3 where each game was a lottery whether they used X for ok or cancel.

Jockel

A Japanese one will default to Japanese on the language select screen when you first start it up, but once you select English, everything will be in English.

You do get the O and X flipped, but only in the OS (just use touch) and not in games. Certainly not as big an issue as my Japanese PS3 where each game was a lottery whether they used X for ok or cancel.
There still are a few games that just take the "accept button" and call it X. I had it happen to me only with one game (I think it was Muramasa).

Random question: do import Vitas still have the issue where in the OS, Circle and X do the opposite of what they do in North America? And this isn't a setting you can change, it's baked into the firmware or somesuch?

Firm answer, yes. I've lived in Asia for 7 years now and have been buying PS hardware (PS3, PS4, PS Vita) from countries that I've lived in (Taiwan and Korea).

It varies a lot, for me. Here's what I've experienced:

OS commands are swapped, circle button is confirm, X is cancel.

Games I purchase off of my North American (Canada) PSN account use the X to confirm configuration.

Disc based games I purchase here in Taipei use circle to confirm (and swap other such functions).

Depending on the game, North American imported titles I get may or may not retain the X to confirm feature.

I've literally had some game breaking issues with a couple of titles where the devs didn't compensate for the Asia "circle to confirm" button configuration, so certain aspects of the game were impossible to proceed in until a patch was released (Sleeping Dogs and Red Dead Redemption immediately spring to mind).

Overall, I've gotten used to it just fine and it usually doesn't bother me, whether I'm playing on Vita or PS4.

Got an email from amazon UK today - buy a slim vita (only black, £158) and get a game for free. Most of the games are Sony ones, so have either been on PS+ or heavily discounted, but it's better than nothing?

Got a white + lime one from japan, along with a 64Gb card. Definitely feels lighter and thinner, and looks great, but it does feel less substantial than the 1000 - that felt like it was carved from granite.

Don't like the dock either - much more difficult to attach the vita and it doesn't sit level as easily as the old one (plus I had to stick it to the surface to stop it being twisted by the cable). I wanted a dock to sit it next to my PS4, but I might end up not using it.

In person, is the lime a neat shade of lime green? Or is it closest to internet videos/pictures highlighter yellow?

I'm fine with either, just mostly curious at this point.

I haven't used one, but I saw some footage (posted in a Vita thread somewhere) of one being used and it didn't look very good. The two end parts of the stitching looks like it will wear out from constantly being stretched, and the opening just kinda stays... open, so the top part of the console will remain exposed to scratches etc. Looks nice though, and will do the job if you're careful.

Foshy

Still looking great, no discolor at all. Been using it nearly every day.

Damn it, I was hoping that Sony would have relegated this to a software feature tied to language settings.

Guess I'll just get the stand black 2000 in the borderlands 2 bundle. I was considering ordering either the all white or black/khaki unit, but not anymore.

Edit: Eh... after thinking it over, I really do navigate the menu exclusively via touch. So the swapped X/O inputs wouldn't be so bad.

Just had an awesome holiday in Singapore, while I was in a game store there, saw they had the Vita 2000 for 258 Singapore, I'd been on the fence about getting one while I was over there but at that price (which came out to $220 Aus) I had to bite the bullet and get one.

Picked up the Blue mode, man the thing is just amazing, sure the screen is abit of a downgrade but I'll adjust. The feel of the thing is amazing, it just feels the right weight and I'm loving the finish on it. Also got a 64 GB mem card and a Vita TV (was only $100 bucks so couldn't say no).

Drago

Just got my white 2000 in the mail, it's updating to 3.12 now. Some quick impressions;

- The screen looks really, really good. It's not as intensely colorful as the OLED and to be honest I think I may like it more this way... but I need to play some actual games on it first. It doesn't feel like a downgrade to me at all, but everyone is different I guess.

- Holy shit this is so much more comfortable to hold. The curved edges, the thinner mold, the perfect weight... it's SO GOOD.

- The Start/Select, Home, and L/R buttons are so so so so so much better. They are pretty much perfect now. D-Pad, face buttons, and analog sticks feel the same but I thought they were pretty perfect on the original Vita so I'm glad they're the same.

- The smaller rear touch pad makes the system much more easier to hold comfortably. I hated how small the grips were on the original model so having them be twice as big is a MASSIVE improvement.

- Moving the notification and battery lights to the top of the unit is a very good thing (and the removed external port for one centered game slot is very pleasing to my eyes). Hated that constant blue light on the 1000. The entire shell is just better, I didn't like the metallics at all on the original unit. The entire system just looks so good aesthetically to me.

- The speakers are incredible, so loud and clear. An unexpected but very welcome improvement. And they're in a good spot that won't be accidentally covered by my fingers!

- The white is gorgeous. I was kinda thinking of getting an actual color since those will likely never come to NA (not that all white has much of a chance either), but seeing as I am not a real fan of two tone colors on electronics, I'm so happy I stuck with my gut for the white version. It's beautiful.

So... yeah. This is an amazing upgrade in every way for me, OLED or not. It's probably going to go down as my favorite handheld system, honestly. It's so good. :)

maouvin

Edit: Eh... after thinking it over, I really do navigate the menu exclusively via touch. So the swapped X/O inputs wouldn't be so bad.

Some games use the inverted buttons too - Muramasa and Toukiden both use o to confirm and x to cancel in the in-game menus. But of course, the control scheme is still the same - if you jumped with x on the 1000, you'll jump with x on the 2000.

On muramasa thats actually a plus - it always bothered me to use x to pick items on the ground and such as it'd make the character jump. It just feels right using o to pick things up and talk to people now. Takes a few second to get used and thats it.

Magwik

Banned
Just got my white 2000 in the mail, it's updating to 3.12 now. Some quick impressions;

- The screen looks really, really good. It's not as intensely colorful as the OLED and to be honest I think I may like it more this way... but I need to play some actual games on it first. It doesn't feel like a downgrade to me at all, but everyone is different I guess.

- Holy shit this is so much more comfortable to hold. The curved edges, the thinner mold, the perfect weight... it's SO GOOD.

- The Start/Select, Home, and L/R buttons are so so so so so much better. They are pretty much perfect now. D-Pad, face buttons, and analog sticks feel the same but I thought they were pretty perfect on the original Vita so I'm glad they're the same.

- The smaller rear touch pad makes the system much more easier to hold comfortably. I hated how small the grips were on the original model so having them be twice as big is a MASSIVE improvement.

- Moving the notification and battery lights to the top of the unit is a very good thing (and the removed external port for one centered game slot is very pleasing to my eyes). Hated that constant blue light on the 1000. The entire shell is just better, I didn't like the metallics at all on the original unit. The entire system just looks so good aesthetically to me.

- The speakers are incredible, so loud and clear. An unexpected but very welcome improvement. And they're in a good spot that won't be accidentally covered by my fingers!

- The white is gorgeous. I was kinda thinking of getting an actual color since those will likely never come to NA (not that all white has much of a chance either), but seeing as I am not a real fan of two tone colors on electronics, I'm so happy I stuck with my gut for the white version. It's beautiful.

So... yeah. This is an amazing upgrade in every way for me, OLED or not. It's probably going to go down as my favorite handheld system, honestly. It's so good. :)

Stuff like this makes it difficult not to upgrade but I barely have the money :(

nakedeyes

Banned
Just ordered a white-lime system + HORI screen protector from Amazon.

So excited!

Also, does the back need a screen protector for the touchpad like the 1000 model?

I had that pouch! It does stain a bit easy, and it won't really protect the vita against much of a fall. Also, the top of the vita is always exposed. Also, I thought it kinda put a bit of pressure on the sticks in a rough way when I pulled it out.

I thought it was OK, not great. I used it for about 2 months while I looked for other cases... The issue is that the 2000 is just a bit bigger than the 1000 in perimeter ( weird! its smaller every other way, but its just a hair bigger around.. ). Both the ThrustMaster and Amazon Basics Vita 1000 hard shell cases do not fit the 2000 :( .. But I ended up getting this one and am pretty happy with it. Its not a full hard case, but it seems alot more solid and protective than that other slip cover.

My white/lime unit arrives later this week. I appreciate your detailed impressions, which make the wait that much more unbearable ^_^

How does the material/finish on the back feel? Is it the same finish as the soft back on the OG black?

(I have both an OG white and black, the white back is glossy plastic)

Do the shoulder buttons and face buttons feel tighter? I've heard they don't prattle as much, feel less wobbly and are clickier on the 2000's...

I hope you can answer my inquiries :p

This reminds me of our anxiousness from 3DS XL August 2012 anticipation thread (except you've got yours already lol)

Drago

My white/lime unit arrives later this week. I appreciate your detailed impressions, which make the wait that much more unbearable ^_^

How does the material/finish on the back feel? Is it the same finish as the soft back on the OG black?

(I have both an OG white and black, the white back is glossy plastic)

Do the shoulder buttons and face buttons feel tighter? I've heard they don't prattle as much, feel less wobbly and are clickier on the 2000's...

I hope you can answer my inquiries :p

This reminds me of our anxiousness from 3DS XL August 2012 anticipation thread (except you've got yours already lol)

3DS XL hype was great. I can't believe that it's already been almost two years! D:

Onto the Vita, the material feels about the same as on the Black OG model. It has a bit of a more rubbery texture to it though, but I may be just thinking things there. It feels really good to hold,the only gloss is on the (much smaller) rear touch pad.

The L/R buttons are much tighter, and very satisfying to click. They are a massive improvement over the OG buttons. Face buttons feel about the same, maybe a bit tighter but not by that much. They are just as good as they were on the OG.

It's a very well built system. I'm extremely happy with it.

3DS XL hype was great. I can't believe that it's already been almost two years! D:

Onto the Vita, the material feels about the same as on the Black OG model. It has a bit of a more rubbery texture to it though, but I may be just thinking things there. It feels really good to hold,the only gloss is on the (much smaller) rear touch pad.

The L/R buttons are much tighter, and very satisfying to click. They are a massive improvement over the OG buttons. Face buttons feel about the same, maybe a bit tighter but not by that much. They are just as good as they were on the OG.

It's a very well built system. I'm extremely happy with it.

Thanks for the response - I appreciate the in depth impressions :)

Bring on the end of the week!

Stimpack

You should probably read the thread. There are plenty of hands-on reports answering your question.

Thanks for the insight. Perhaps it was mentioned somewhere, but I didn't see anyone discussing exactly why the LCD would be equally priced. I was under the impression that OLEDs were significantly more expensive.

Drago

Too bad the front sides aren't matte. I don't really like the cheap glossy front spanning back to the 1st gen PSP.
Yeah, it would've been nice if at least the sides around the screen were matte. I don't really mind the gloss much either way (especially when fingerprints don't really show on white gloss) but I'll always take matte any day.

johngie

Neo Member

This sounds awesome. I'll be getting the NA Borderlands bundle, mostly just to get Borderlands early. I think it'll be interesting though, as I have not once run into issues with the notification light or how it feels to hold the console I'm glad they sorted out the touchpad and Start/Select though. Those have always been annoying.

ciD_Vain

I did it...I went ahead and bought the lime green one! Should be arriving this Friday. It will be my first Sony handheld!

lantus

Thinking about trading in my Vita for the newer model, mostly for the ergonomics because the system does currently wear out my hands after playing for a while. Longer battery life is an added bonus. I think I'll check it out at the Sony store soon to check it out to see whether or not I'll miss the OLED screen.

Karish

Could I buy borderlands bundle and sell the game? How much could I get for it? Just want the vita...

ALSO if anyone is looking to sell their OG Vita, PM ME

Could I buy borderlands bundle and sell the game? How much could I get for it? Just want the vita...

BL2 is packed in as a voucher, so it's not going to have that much sale value. If you're lucky you could get the full $40 for it, but more likely you'll get $30 or even $20. Plus you gotta consider that there will be a lot of people buying the BL2 bundle just for the new Vita as well. So they'll be a lot of vouchers floating around.

I'm going to hold off awhile longer. I figure Sony will roll out another bundle closer to the Holidays and it should have some games I'm interested in.

Besides, the only Vita game I have is Persona 4G. There's not much incentive to grab one now while I have such a pitiful library. Not to mention the massive backlog I've got going on my PS3/360/3DS/PC.

Lemstar

Thanks for the insight. Perhaps it was mentioned somewhere, but I didn't see anyone discussing exactly why the LCD would be equally priced. I was under the impression that OLEDs were significantly more expensive.
Then you'd have known that it's a hardware revision, not just the exact same thing with a cheaper screen. Even if the system is cheaper for them to make, I wouldn't begrudge them charging the same price for a better piece of hardware overall.

It's coming out before the physical release, but it'll also probably be in plentiful supply. Maybe ~$30 around week 1?

GAF is probably going to be kind of saturated with them, tbh.

Top Bottom