• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 | Light and Slim. 6 Colors. No More OLED, Instead Cute Penguins

I don't get the OLED love. Yeah, the colours pop, but the splotchy crap is annoying. I'm playing MGS2 and it's just something I cannot unsee and it's ruining Codec calls. :( I'd upgrade in a heartbeat to have black screens actually black and not looking like a piece of blotting paper.

Stimpack

Then you'd have known that it's a hardware revision, not just the exact same thing with a cheaper screen. Even if the system is cheaper for them to make, I wouldn't begrudge them charging the same price for a better piece of hardware overall.

By significant, I meant the bulk of the cost. I don't imagine anyone has solid figures, but I'd have to imagine that the screen is one of the most costly parts. Hardware revision? You act as if something major has changed. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it's cheaper for them to make, even if they kept the OLED. You might be alright with it, but it seems like a bit of a raw deal to me. You're also alright with the price gouging on the proprietary memory cards, I'd reckon. I stand behind my earlier comment.

Also I had a valid question in the first place, and instead of trying to respond with an answer you decided to tell me to read the thread. Which leads me to believe that your "answer" was that the price is the same due to the hardware revision. Which I say is definitely not justification for keeping the same price with cheaper parts.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
BL2 is packed in as a voucher, so it's not going to have that much sale value. If you're lucky you could get the full $40 for it, but more likely you'll get $30 or even $20. Plus you gotta consider that there will be a lot of people buying the BL2 bundle just for the new Vita as well. So they'll be a lot of vouchers floating around.

I'm going to hold off awhile longer. I figure Sony will roll out another bundle closer to the Holidays and it should have some games I'm interested in.

Besides, the only Vita game I have is Persona 4G. There's not much incentive to grab one now while I have such a pitiful library. Not to mention the massive backlog I've got going on my PS3/360/3DS/PC.

If you have PS+, always worth 'buying' the vita games so they're ready for you when you do eventually pick up a vita

superufo.com is the cheapest store, it offers the original Japanese prices if not cheaper sometimes
do they combine shipments and have free shipping ?

the only downside is they're out of the stock most of the time

Sulik2

Ok VIitaGaf I am ready to get a Vita, but I have no idea what to buy. Should I get the BL bundle? I have no interest in playing BL on the Vita but it seems like a good deal. Or should I looked used? There seems to be good used deals on machines as well. Where do I start looking? What size memory card should I try and get?

Is a used wifi Vita with a 32GB card and Final Fantasy X HD Dragons Crown Muramasa the demon Blade Streetfighter X Tekken Need for Speed Most wanted for $250 as amazing a deal as it sounds?

Very tempted to buy the Slim version. Does anyone think Sony might announce a price cut for the Vita during E3?
No. Especially considering the BL2 bundle is just now coming out in NA.

It's only $200
U get an 8gb card
And a $40 game

So it's almost like a pseudo price cut if u subtract the game cost and memory card cost

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I bought a OLED white vita Monday....
After reading this thread last night I ordered a White/Lime LCD...Hyped, it looks so good.
Luckily Amazon had some from their fulfillment services. I don't mind paying the extra since I had all credit from trading in random crap over time.

I have the OLED today but will compare tomorrow.

Only the back is matte (and the touch pad is still glossy, but that area is a lot smaller now)

Should I grab a screen protector for the 2000 back touch panel, like I did for my OG?

After reading this thread last night I ordered a White/Lime LCD...Hyped, it looks so good.
Luckily Amazon had some from their fulfillment services. I don't mind paying the extra since I had all credit from trading in random crap over time.

Exact same combo! I have a white OLED I got with the AC3:L bundle in 2012, just ordered the white/lime.

I was torn between the black/pink and white/lime. Ultimately, I was swayed by the white facing. I got a black unit at US launch and handed it down (keep mint stuff), when I got my white unit....

....the deciding factor this go around, after owning both colors (and currently a black deluxe WiiU): white shows little to no fingerprints, unless hit under the right light. The WiiU Gamepad and black OLED Vita looked mauled by smudges in comparison.

For your OLED model, I suggest the Hori full frontal screen protector (seems almost invisible on the unit and protects the entire face); as well as a Sony screen protector trimmed and applied to the rear pad.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Should I grab a screen protector for the 2000 back touch panel, like I did for my OG?

Exact same combo! I have a white OLED I got with the AC3:L bundle in 2012, just ordered the white/lime.

I was torn between the black/pink and white/lime. Ultimately, I was swayed by the white facing. I got a black unit at US launch and handed it down (keep mint stuff), when I got my white unit....

....the deciding factor this go around, after owning both colors (and currently a black deluxe WiiU): white shows little to no fingerprints, unless hit under the right light. The WiiU Gamepad and black OLED Vita looked mauled by smudges in comparison.

For your OLED model, I suggest the Hori full frontal screen protector (seems almost invisible on the unit and protects the entire face); as well as a Sony screen protector trimmed and applied to the rear pad.

Funny enough this is like my 3rd Vita LOL
I loved it but didn't have much time to play it so I gave 1 to my son and sold the other 1 prior to this.
I loved the OLED (as a tech head why shouldn't I) but if the overall benefits of the new LCD model is better, I may have to sacrifice the screen for the overall good.

Do the Amazon slim imports come with a memory card?

I'll let you know when I get it tomorrow.
I did purchase a separate 64gb mem card though...

Massa

By significant, I meant the bulk of the cost. I don't imagine anyone has solid figures, but I'd have to imagine that the screen is one of the most costly parts. Hardware revision? You act as if something major has changed. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it's cheaper for them to make, even if they kept the OLED. You might be alright with it, but it seems like a bit of a raw deal to me. You're also alright with the price gouging on the proprietary memory cards, I'd reckon. I stand behind my earlier comment.

Also I had a valid question in the first place, and instead of trying to respond with an answer you decided to tell me to read the thread. Which leads me to believe that your "answer" was that the price is the same due to the hardware revision. Which I say is definitely not justification for keeping the same price with cheaper parts.

In Japan the new model launched at about $10 cheaper. In the UK the launch MSRP is the same. In the US they're adding a $20 8GB card and a $30 game in a bundle to replace the standalone $199 OLED Vita.

Regardless, Sony maintains that the new Vita is a much improved version of the system and many seem to agree. The cost of parts is irrelevant to the final price, and it's not like we have solid information of the OLED and LCD costs anyway. Price is determined by several other factors.

That was originally the color I wanted and now that I know it's on Amazon I'm seriously considering it now, lol. $50 more really isn't that bad, I guess.

banjoted

I got a lime white slim from Solaris Japan earlier this year (£145 all in, and no customs as they marked it down!) and absolutely love it. I know the OLED model (which I had previously) gets all the love but I much prefer the slim. Without holding the screens side by side you'd never know, and the other benefits make it more than worthwhile. Chief amongst them for me is comfort - it's far nicer to hold, particularly for longer sessions. Aesthetically it's a big improvement too IMO.

Regarding the 'x' and 'o' swap I barely notice it thanks to the touchscreen and as others have said, it's the 'normal' way around in game. No hint of this discolouration on the back that's been mentioned here either.

wowzors

Dunno if its been stated but the Slim case is TRBL.

I would avoid it if possible, get something else, its struggle city to get the thing in and out as its just barely wide enough to fit the thing, the mouth its self isnt wide enough so you really have to pull to get it open to fit it.

Stimpack

In Japan the new model launched at about $10 cheaper. In the UK the launch MSRP is the same. In the US they're adding a $20 8GB card and a $30 game in a bundle to replace the standalone $199 OLED Vita.

Regardless, Sony maintains that the new Vita is a much improved version of the system and many seem to agree. The cost of parts is irrelevant to the final price, and it's not like we have solid information of the OLED and LCD costs anyway. Price is determined by several other factors.

Yes, it's difficult to have such discussions when so many factors are left unknown, but I definitely wish there had been a more significant price drop. I'm not a huge fan of bundles. I understand that the majority of people seem to accept the LCD as a superior machine.

I don't know if I'll pull the trigger, though. Streaming from the PS4 is what would interest me most, and the lack of triggers really holds me back. I hope that they add secondary shoulder buttons if they ever release a new handheld.

Trying to really decide whether to go ahead and try and find a 1000 series, or just want and see how the 2000 is overall. Just not too sure if I want to wait till the point I can't find them in stores, though I don't think I've really seen any in this area in general.

spannicus

Trying to really decide whether to go ahead and try and find a 1000 series, or just want and see how the 2000 is overall. Just not too sure if I want to wait till the point I can't find them in stores, though I don't think I've really seen any in this area in general.
I have a 1000 gonna pick up the slim as a present for my son. 199 Borderlands 2 bundle can't be beat. On second thought I might give him the old one because he tears shit up. Besides screen I don't think you're missing out on anything. Get the 2000 I say. If you want the 1000 bad enough check Craigslist or Amazon. Might be able to catch a launch bundle cheap.

neoflcl

Sorry if it's been asked already, but does anyone else notice a significant improvement in the Vita Slim speakers compared to the old model? I just got a Vita Slim for my better half earlier this week, and we've noticed that its sound quality is hugely superior to my Vita 1000.

The thing is, my 1000 model was bought pre-owned on the cheap. So I'm wondering if the difference is because of improved speakers in the 2000, or if it's actually because my particular Vita 1000 has shite blown speakers or something.

So, if anyone else can compare sound quality between Vita models, I'd be mighty thankful!

Drago

Sorry if it's been asked already, but does anyone else notice a significant improvement in the Vita Slim speakers compared to the old model? I just got a Vita Slim for my better half earlier this week, and we've noticed that its sound quality is hugely superior to my Vita 1000.

The thing is, my 1000 model was bought pre-owned on the cheap. So I'm wondering if the difference is because of improved speakers in the 2000, or if it's actually because my particular Vita 1000 has shite blown speakers or something.

So, if anyone else can compare sound quality between Vita models, I'd be mighty thankful!
The speakers have been drastically improved, it's not just you. My old 1000 was bought used, like new, and the speakers there were not as good as the ones on the 2000. It's a welcome improvement as I'm usually too lazy to dig out my headphones for portable gaming sessions, blasphemous as it is ;p

hongcha

Yep, speakers are a lot better on the 2000, both in placement and in sound quality (volume, clarity, etc). Headphone output is louder too.

I'm assuming the Vita is profitable at the $200 - $250 price point. Which is why Sony isn't pushing it harder, in their eyes its probably a financial success

I have a 1000 gonna pick up the slim as a present for my son. 199 Borderlands 2 bundle can't be beat. On second thought I might give him the old one because he tears shit up. Besides screen I don't think you're missing out on anything. Get the 2000 I say. If you want the 1000 bad enough check Craigslist or Amazon. Might be able to catch a launch bundle cheap.

Mainly just concerned about the screen bits people have been talking about for awhile now, and just wanting to know if it really makes that huge of an impact on things in general.

I really, REALLY hope that dock is released here in the states.

You could just buy an android/micro usb dock. When I get my Slim I'll probably pick up one of these:

http://goo.gl/uBta92

superufo.com is the cheapest store, it offers the original Japanese prices if not cheaper sometimes
do they combine shipments and have free shipping ?

the only downside is they're out of the stock most of the time

http://goo.gl/8smKVe

I just ordered my Lime Green/White Vita from superufo. Cheapest shipping is about $12 (60-90 days, lol) and about $18 (7-21 days). So the final price will be about $200 more or less.

Very tempted to buy the Slim version. Does anyone think Sony might announce a price cut for the Vita during E3?

I could see Sony releasing a base model at $149 without any games or memory card.

Canon

Banned
I don't get the OLED love. Yeah, the colours pop, but the splotchy crap is annoying. I'm playing MGS2 and it's just something I cannot unsee and it's ruining Codec calls. :( I'd upgrade in a heartbeat to have black screens actually black and not looking like a piece of blotting paper.
Probably due to the fact OLED is a better technology. LED isn't going to get you true blacks?

Like most people, I've only noticed the blotches when the screen is completely black, and even then it's only minor. Some can look quite bad though, like I've seen posted on gaf.

finalflame

Gold Member
Any indication that Sony will bring the colors to the U.S.? I absolutely hate the inverted X/O on my JP PS3, even after months of having it I'm still not fully accustomed to it, and in games like Dark Souls 2 where it adopts the system control scheme, it sucks.

I received my white PCH-2000 unit today and it is indeed just as awesome as everyone has says in this thread. Feels so much better in my hands then the 1000. Yeah, the LCD screen isn't as vibrant/over-saturated as the OLED. But once you start using the 2000, you hardly notice the difference unless you put both units side by side.

Yes, the speakers are vastly improved too!

neoflcl

The speakers have been drastically improved, it's not just you.

Yep, speakers are a lot better on the 2000, both in placement and in sound quality (volume, clarity, etc). Headphone output is louder too.

Yes, the speakers are vastly improved too!

Thanks, all! Not only is that good news on its own, it's also a relief that there's nothing wrong with my Vita 1000 :'D

I almost never use headphones on handhelds, so I'm all the more blasphemous! Although it's certainly good to know that even headphone output is improved on Vita Slim, if the need ever be.

Yazuka

I hope it is okay, to ask this in this thread. 'm thinking of getting a 32gb memorycard from ebay. Is it safe? There aren't any knockoffs right?
I just want to make sure I don't buy something thats a copy.

romulus91

ok people... this thread is making me want a slim so bad .... i have a beautiful white OG that i use daily so a new vita would get used .... few questions to people who have had both...

1. how is the front and back panel for scratches ? im extremely anal about the smallest things :p
2. does it fit well for large hands?
3. does it feel cheaper than the orginal?
4. how much different is the screen really? looks a lot less bright if im honest

thanks for any replies

npm0925

ok people... this thread is making me want a slim so bad .... i have a beautiful white OG that i use daily so a new vita would get used .... few questions to people who have had both...

1. how is the front and back panel for scratches ? im extremely anal about the smallest things :p
2. does it fit well for large hands?
3. does it feel cheaper than the orginal?
4. how much different is the screen really? looks a lot less bright if im honest

thanks for any replies

1. I've never had any problems with scratching on either model. Just use a foam sleeve when not in use, and you should be fine.
2. Better than the original due to the larger finger rests on the back, but still far from optimal. You'll need to use headphones as your hands will be directly over the speakers most of the time (fucking horrible placement). Still worlds more comfortable than a 3DS. I can actually do just as well at Spelunky on a Vita as I can on a PC with a wired 360 controller.
3. Less substantial but not cheaper. Still looks well put together. The new charging port is awesome; I never have to worry about bringing a charger.
4. The difference is pretty large (on the level of plasma vs. LCD), and I find myself missing the inky blacks and saturated colors. I don't have to worry about image retention, though, and I can comfortably play on 25% brightness and get a lot of extra battery life.

I would keep your original if you are a stay at home mobile gamer and battery life is not a big issue to you.

HooYaH

Are the only difference in importing is the X and O switched? What about firmware updates? Are they usually needed to be update through JPN servers?

Prelude.

I forgot about this thread, I should have posted it here:

I noticed that my Vita's led turns on every so often, I'm assuming it's just for checking for updates and the like but since I don't leave the wifi on it's pretty useless, is there a way to turn it off?

It turns on every 30 mins btw.

wilflare

I went to a Sony Singapore Store and tried it out
- I'm really liking the whole feel of it
- It's much lighter, much thinner and the enlarged rear grip makes it easier to hold
- the screen really isn't that much of a problem... unless you sit there and scrutinize

romulus91

1. I've never had any problems with scratching on either model. Just use a foam sleeve when not in use, and you should be fine.
2. Better than the original due to the larger finger rests on the back, but still far from optimal. You'll need to use headphones as your hands will be directly over the speakers most of the time (fucking horrible placement). Still worlds more comfortable than a 3DS. I can actually do just as well at Spelunky on a Vita as I can on a PC with a wired 360 controller.
3. Less substantial but not cheaper. Still looks well put together. The new charging port is awesome; I never have to worry about bringing a charger.
4. The difference is pretty large (on the level of plasma vs. LCD), and I find myself missing the inky blacks and saturated colors. I don't have to worry about image retention, though, and I can comfortably play on 25% brightness and get a lot of extra battery life.

I would keep your original if you are a stay at home mobile gamer and battery life is not a big issue to you.

great help :) cheers ... il probably stay with the original for now but the new models are looking great

It would be a mistake for Sony to not release a value pack with the Vita 2000.

I mean, there's less parts in the system. They took out the 3G slot, the secondary slot, went with micro USB instead of their own weird standard, and removed the pricier OLED screen. The speakers are different and the parts used in the device are cheaper.

Also, they should release it in a few different colors..

They don't have to include a memory card since the system has 1GB built in for general use.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Maaaaaan I got the Slim today.
Sooooo goooooooood. I sent back the OLED. I'll miss the screen but the overall feel of the slim is that much better. I've made the right choice.

wilflare

It would be a mistake for Sony to not release a value pack with the Vita 2000.

I mean, there's less parts in the system. They took out the 3G slot, the secondary slot, went with micro USB instead of their own weird standard, and removed the pricier OLED screen. The speakers are different and the parts used in the device are cheaper.

Also, they should release it in a few different colors..

They don't have to include a memory card since the system has 1GB built in for general use.

the Slim did feel less sturdy.
it seems like it will probably wrap more than the OLED Vita
(and take less punishment if one is prone to dropping devices)

but hey, don't let all that dissuade you it's a decent upgrade still

Top Bottom