• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 | Light and Slim. 6 Colors. No More OLED, Instead Cute Penguins

Edit: Updated with new Hands On Comparisons Post Release:

With the launch of the new model coming in less than 48 hours, I thought it would be time for an OT. I will do my best to update the F.A.Q. section and the OP to clear up any questions. I also have two of them coming next day air from Japan so I should have detailed unboxing/videos on Monday to add.

(Colors from left to right: White, Light Blue, Lime Green, Pink, Khaki, Black)

• Japan Release: October 10, 2013 for 19,929 YEN
  • US Release: Not Announced
  • Europe Release: Not Announced

Announcement Video (TGS 2013): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TkOdFbj1Eo

A Day with Playstation (shows off the new models): http://youtu.be/abRveeP_PzM?t=1m12s

Hands On Videos:

Japan Commercials

Specs Between PCH-1000 and PCH-2000 (Via Anantech)

New Accessories

Slim Cases:

Dock:

Detailed Images from all angles:

F.A.Q.

Q: Does it have an OLED screen?
A: No it is now a LCD screen

Q: Are the triggers different?
A: Based on the hands on from many outlets the buttons and sticks are more responsive and, "feel better."

Q: Is the back matte or glossy?
A: The back and perimeter of the Vita is now matte. The touchpad on the back is still glossy.

Q: Does it have a TV out capability?
A: No

Q: is it confirmed you can use the 1GB built in memory additionally to their memory cards?
A: No, you must use one or the other. If a memory card is inserted it will override the built in storage.

emrlpwp.gif

Oh my god those penguins. I'm sold.

Cool OT, though. I wasn't exactly eager about this when it was announced, but some of those shots look really nice, as does the idea of a thinner Vita. Might pick one up when it comes to NA.

Durante

The rounded plastic around the buttons/sticks (at the edges) looks cheap. Might be nicer to hold though.

want the Olive one... Buuuuut i'm gonna have to wait until PSV 3000 since i have the original model and it still has a good life of service ahead of it :D

Afrit

I'm definitely buying one of these to add to my Vita collection ;P

but still, the original will probably remain my favorite just like my old PSP1000.

Fun thread. New avatar inspiration!

I'm not a big fan of the new dock, honestly. I wish they had kept the style of the original one but put in the different port...

Aytrial

Based off photos so far, I'm only really bothered by the glossy plastic. It makes it look really cheap. I'd be all over a matte silver model using the same finish as the silver PSP.

Shancake

Heading to Japan on Sunday. Can't decide which colour to get. The pink looks too pink in that Playasia video.

Berordn

What is a stuck-pixel? :( If it's what I think it is, does this mean that it's permanent and doesn't disappear?

Not necessarily. Stuck (and even dead) pixels can be switched back to normal state if its neighbors are constantly acting normally.

There's no guarantee though, and it's more trouble than it's worth for most.

Nymphae

Banned
Actually that looks really sharp, at first I thought the plastic might cheapen the look too much, but I really like the way they've redesigned everything. The only thing I miss is the seamless front panel, but it's not that big of a deal.

CAVE343

I'm buying one when it comes over, but it's such a shame that the screen isn't seamless anymore. I really dislike the bezel around the screen

The OG PS Vita was Super AMOLED+ btw (not SAMOLED as in the list), it had RGB stripe rather than PenTile in Super AMOLED. PS Vita, Galaxy Tab 7.7 and the Galaxy S2 are the only devices I know which used the technology, every other mobile SAMOLED uses RGBG (PenTile) or some variation.

With the end of the OG Vita, so goes RGB OLED for mobile as well. I don't see Samsung continuing the manufacture of SAMOLED+ without any devices using it.

End of an era guys.

Still, the LCD is probably around a third of the cost and should lead to future price reductions and more Vita owners!

The official images are very deceptive, the plastic looks like a high quality matte, when it's actually a much lower quality gloss, similar to the PSP-2000.

K' Dash

The OG PS Vita was Super AMOLED+ btw (not SAMOLED as in the list), it had RGB stripe rather than PenTile in Super AMOLED. PS Vita, Galaxy Tab 7.7 and the Galaxy S2 are the only devices I know which used the technology, every other mobile SAMOLED uses RGBG (PenTile) or some variation.

With the end of the OG Vita, so goes RGB OLED for mobile as well. I don't see Samsung continuing the manufacture of SAMOLED+ without any devices using it.

End of an era guys.

Still, the LCD is probably around a third of the cost and should lead to future price reductions and more Vita owners!

So glad I bought mine a few days ago, I'll get one of these for the GF.

What is a stuck-pixel? :( If it's what I think it is, does this mean that it's permanent and doesn't disappear?

My understanding is it IS permanent if it's on OLED, but not so on LCD. Basically it remains stuck on one color (red in my case), and never changes. Since it's an OLED, the red pixel lights up brightly and is extremely distracting.

Here is a pick of mine.

Updated with some more video and names of the colors.

Also if you are worried of how it looks, see how it looks in the hands on videos. I agree the pics are a little misleading.

Yazuka

£145 on Nippon yasan with express shipping. Importing next month when I'm on holiday.

Do you have any past experiences with them? I'm somewhat interested in picking up a new Vita myself. But I've never heard of that shop before. Just want to get some personal opinions.

Kysen

Do you have any past experiences with them? I'm somewhat interested in picking up a new Vita myself. But I've never heard of that shop before. Just want to get some personal opinions.
I imported my 3ds from them, fast delivery no customs.

Bazza

Quite like the redesign especially the Black/Olive one and would probably buy one at some point if it had an OLED screen, sticking with what i have for the time being.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I like that these have a separate screen from the rest of the front, one of my few dislikes of the first gen Vita is how the whole front loved those smudges, same for the back bits being matte now instead of glossy. Also the move to micro usb, this proprietary connector is lame, it was a bad decision to do it in the first place, hopefully Sony will get that from here out.

Did they cut the price?

They cut the Vita price before they announced these models, which will replace the normal ones at the same price iirc.

Yopis

The official images are very deceptive, the plastic looks like a high quality matte, when it's actually a much lower quality gloss, similar to the PSP-2000.

Sony seems to give best hardware materials to first adopters so this is no surprise. PSP Situation all over again glad I have the original model. Will get one of these though on the side one day.

synce

Wait what, it's actually bigger now except for the depth?? Maybe I'll hold off until the next redesign, unless something like Persona 5 is Vita exclusive

You can always import the colors as the Vitas are not region locked. Just boot it up and pick English/US, etc.

Circle might just be your accept button instead of X

Top Bottom