• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 | Light and Slim. 6 Colors. No More OLED, Instead Cute Penguins

creyas

Thoughts on screen protector? Needed or just a waste? I never had one on my old PSP and never had any issues with it.

It's in for a slightly rougher time than a PSP though since you're going to be wiping it off a lot more often because of the touch, at least if you tend to do it with whatever on hand.

Is it wrong that I kinda want to trade in my 1000 for a 2000 mostly just for dat micro usb. I love dat micro goodness. Oh also because the unused port on the top is annoying. Every time I see it I just think why was I forced to pay for a port they didn't even use.

Will bug me if i start seeing the 2000 series charging dock easily obtainable in Europe, one of my two gripes with the 1000 is that i can't find the one for it (well, there's some on Amazon, but not fulfilled by), the other being the mura.

Same for my PSP Go, for which it would be pretty critical, since i'd like to primarily use it with my TV. Just got it though, so don't know if that one used to be available.

todd360

Is it wrong that I kinda want to trade in my 1000 for a 2000 mostly just for dat micro usb. I love dat micro goodness. Oh also because the unused port on the top is annoying. Every time I see it I just think why was I forced to pay for a port they didn't even use.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I'm having the same thoughts as you. In my case though it's just that back in the Summer, when my copy of P4G arrived, I cleaned my Vita's screen in anticipation. I used these special wet wipes for LCDs. Unfortunately these clothes hadn't been used in ages and were quite dry. Me being stupid and silly used them anyway because of scratch resistance and all that!

In my eagerness to get rid of the dust spots on the screen...I noticed that I caused a little dent/deep scratch. It's kind of near the centre of the screen too. This one little nibble. When the screen is on a solid bright colour, white or yellow, it's noticeable, has like a multicolour/rainbow affect.

So yes lol. If my screen didn't have that one little nick I'd be content, but because of that I'm thinking of trading in to get a 2000 model. But then there's the OLED chestnut. And also I've lived with this stupid little scratch/dent thing for over half a year now...and most of the time it's not even noticeable. On the other hand Japan has all the snazzy colours which I could import...

Ideally I would've just gotten a new OLED model when HMV were doing them for £99.99.

Pangya

So I imported the Vita 2000 from Japan last week and after having owned my OLED vita for quite some time, I think I will stick with it as my main Vita. The difference between the screens is too much for me to move over to the 2000 as my main. Literally everything else about the 2000 though is better than the OLED.

Here's two comparison screenshots taken using my phone.

OLED:
2014-01-29%2018.48.06.jpg

LCD:

The difference is pretty huge and I am glad I have the original version.

Would say one of the major flaws is accidently touching the back panel every now and again, which can be a problem with remote play titles!

hongcha

So I imported the Vita 2000 from Japan last week and after having owned my OLED vita for quite some time, I think I will stick with it as my main Vita. The difference between the screens is too much for me to move over to the 2000 as my main. Literally everything else about the 2000 though is better than the OLED.

My advice: Play the 2000 exclusively for a week or two. Your eyes gradually adjust to the more natural colour reproduction of the 2000's screen. If it still bugs you after that, then go back to the 1000's OLED. I forgot about the 1000 after 2 weeks with my 2000, but YMMV.

RaikuHebi

Banned
My advice: Play the 2000 exclusively for a week or two. Your eyes gradually adjust to the more natural colour reproduction of the 2000's screen. If it still bugs you after that, then go back to the 1000's OLED. I forgot about the 1000 after 2 weeks with my 2000, but YMMV.
I want to hope you're right because shamelessly I want the new hardware as well. But every screenshot comparison I see is night and day.

Nippon yasan has the vita 2k for 205.xx right now, which shipping is best? I am in the US (SC) and want it delivered safely, I am getting this solely for remote play and possibly to replace my OG at some point.

Is there a better place to order from, I really don't want to exceed 225$ if possible altogether.

Thanks!

So, question about the OG Vita since I'm not up to speed on OLED tech.

How much do OLEDs degrade over time? Say in 10, 20, 30 years when I want to play Tearaway or something, will an OG Vita's OLED look like shit, or will the screen hold up well enough to keep for posterity? Will the Vita 2000's screen hold up better?

So, question about the OG Vita since I'm not up to speed on OLED tech.

How much do OLEDs degrade over time? Say in 10, 20, 30 years when I want to play Tearaway or something, will an OG Vita's OLED look like shit, or will the screen hold up well enough to keep for posterity? Will the Vita 2000's screen hold up better?

Wikipedia says:

The biggest technical problem for OLEDs was the limited lifetime of the organic materials. One 2008 technical report on an OLED TV panel found that "After 1,000 hours the blue luminance degraded by 12%, the red by 7% and the green by 8%."[64] In particular, blue OLEDs historically have had a lifetime of around 14,000 hours to half original brightness (five years at 8 hours a day) when used for flat-panel displays. This is lower than the typical lifetime of LCD, LED or PDP technology. Each currently is rated for about 25,000–40,000 hours to half brightness, depending on manufacturer and model

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED

namedUser

Neo Member
I want to invest in a 2000, and am really enjoying Vitas current library, but im SO worried Sony will drop first party game support for it.

Can anyone tell me if the 2k vita has better wifi or works better than the 1k for remote play?

For some reason I remember hearing the 2k had faster downloads than the 1k back when it releases in Japan. But I could be wrong.

WarpathDC

That's a huge fucking difference. Wow. *goes back to playing vita phat*

Seriously, I know cost was the primary driver for the change but Wtf? Has there ever been such a stark drop-off from a iterative handheld? (not counting gba micro)

Here's two comparison screenshots taken using my phone.

OLED:

2014-01-29%2018.48.06.jpg

LCD:
2014-01-29%2018.49.57.jpg

teiresias

I've never understood the "more natural colors" argument against the OLED - at least on the Vita. I mean, games were being made with the OLED in mind so color usage was built with it in mind so that they displayed as developers intended.

Now whether, they'll continue to do art for the OLED or the LCD going forward is an open question.

Also, is it just the photo compression or maybe the photo, or is the dot pitch larger on the LCD screen. Seems I can see alot more screendoor on the LCD then I can on the OLED.

Chitown B

more natural? there's no way LCD is "more natural"

Massa

I want to hope you're right because shamelessly I want the new hardware as well. But every screenshot comparison I see is night and day.

Are you looking at those screenshots on an LCD screen?

more natural? there's no way LCD is "more natural"

Some would disagree.

“If you ever buy anything online and really want to know what he color is, as many people do, you should really think twice before you depend on the color from a OLED display.”

Prelude.

That's a huge fucking difference. Wow. *goes back to playing vita phat*

Seriously, I know cost was the primary driver for the change but Wtf? Has there ever been such a stark drop-off from a iterative handheld? (not counting gba micro)

I don't think you should base your opinion on photos since they can't reproduce accurately the quality of the screens. They're basically the same, the only difference is that the OLED has more vibrant colours and cold (blue/green) whites whereas the LCD has more natural colours and warm (yellow) whites.
The OLED also has obviously better blacks but is also prone to mura effect.

Other than that, the 2000 is superior in every aspect. (except for the front, I prefer the 1k's)

Chitown B

Are you looking at those screenshots on an LCD screen?

Some would disagree.

“If you ever buy anything online and really want to know what he color is, as many people do, you should really think twice before you depend on the color from a OLED display.”

accurate and "natural" are not the same thing. We're talking about video games, not movies. LCD is usually too bright and blown out, as shown by the comparison shots just above. Plus, I have my Pioneer Plasma on 0-255 so that it incorporates all of the range, which lets blacks shine.

I hate LCD. It's too bright and blows everything out - makes blacks grey. We need better tech than plain LCD.

Vooduu

I really want that khaki model. I dig it.
I'm thinking radio silence from SCEA on this is pretty much deafening though...

If the Vita Slim does hit NA, expect black and maybe white. Highly doubt we'll get any other colors. You're safer importing for now.

It's in for a slightly rougher time than a PSP though since you're going to be wiping it off a lot more often because of the touch, at least if you tend to do it with whatever on hand..

I actually wiped off the PSP screen a lot with my fingers too because of the dust that would fall on it. So far I've been using it for about 2 weeks without any issues. I'll keep seeing how it goes since I don't generally like applying screen protectors on things.

Nippon yasan has the vita 2k for 205.xx right now, which shipping is best? I am in the US (SC) and want it delivered safely, I am getting this solely for remote play and possibly to replace my OG at some point.

Is there a better place to order from, I really don't want to exceed 225$ if possible altogether.

Thanks!

I used FedEx when I ordered mine. It took them about 1 day to ship and then 2 days for FedEx to deliver. From what I've read, if you try using any of the JP Post, you'll have some problems with it getting shipped due to the lithium battery.

Vita2k has this weird brownish? tint to it, other than that I reckon it does a great job. Been playing several of my games (jsr/tearaway/spelunky) everything looked great me. It just has a different colour temperature to the vita oled and obviously the contrast ratio isn't as good.

From stuff.tv's review ( I've never heard of them too)
http://www.stuff.tv/pch-2000/playstation-vita-slim/review

And yet, our experience so far of the Vita Slim suggests the new screen is actually better.

The old Vita’s OLED certainly seems brighter and a little more vivid, but the Slim’s LCD appears to have more natural, balanced colours, smoother shade gradients, and more subtle, realistic contrast. It even appears to be just a touch sharper, despite having an identical resolution.

This is going to take some more testing, but so far the switch of screen tech seems to be about more than simple bean-counting.

PensOwl

Banned
I'm surprised I've never seen this article linked when discussing the merits of the vita's oled screen, since it's the only display test I've been able to find.

It's not as detailed as something from say, anandtech, but it's a good start.

kuppy

I've never understood the "more natural colors" argument against the OLED - at least on the Vita. I mean, games were being made with the OLED in mind so color usage was built with it in mind so that they displayed as developers intended.
Were Vita games really developed that way?
I sort of doubt it, normally the final color decisions are always made on a near perfect calibrated screen. Like specially pixel art for example arranges the colors a lot with just HSL adjustment. Maybe some first party games leveled their game a bit with the exact outcome in mind, but well the PS Classics, PSP games and Indies are predominant anyway.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I used FedEx when I ordered mine. It took them about 1 day to ship and then 2 days for FedEx to deliver. From what I've read, if you try using any of the JP Post, you'll have some problems with it getting shipped due to the lithium battery.
Excellent. Their prices are much more reasonable than Play Asia.

Excellent. Their prices are much more reasonable than Play Asia.

I appreciate the responses, I have a bonus check hopefully coming soon that will find this, I hope the prices stop going up, are there any other hidden costs? Also did you all import to the US? And what was the grand total if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks!

(Sorry couldn't quote both of ya, on my cell.)

I sort of doubt it, normally the final color decisions are always made on a near perfect calibrated screen. Like specially pixel art for example arranges the colors a lot with just HSL adjustment. Maybe some first party games leveled their game a bit with the exact outcome in mind, but well the PS Classics, PSP games and Indies are predominant anyway.

After playing Sonic Transformed on several other platforms and then getting to play it on a first gen vita all the neon colors looked radioactive in comparison on the vita. The super saturated colors are definitely a by-product of the OLED screen.

It's like using the "vivid" setting on your Samsung smart phone and thinking it looks better. The colors look like a tripped out acid dream, but they aren't "right".

I appreciate the responses, I have a bonus check hopefully coming soon that will find this, I hope the prices stop going up, are there any other hidden costs? Also did you all import to the US? And what was the grand total if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks!

(Sorry couldn't quote both of ya, on my cell.)

I imported mine into the US. My total ended up being 23,326¥ after shipping.

The target platform (display) is a consideration, of course. The PSP had it's own palette (you can switch between Vita and PSP colors when playing a PSP game on the Vita).

I imported mine into the US. My total ended up being 23,326¥ after shipping.

Sigh, I just hope I don't get buyers remorse on this one, that is what I expect mine to be too, are there any hidden charges with Nippon yasan besides the core of product price and shipping? Customs anything additional like that?

And the biggest question, lime green or khaki, I already have a black OG.

Sigh, I just hope I don't get buyers remorse on this one, that is what I expect mine to be too, are there any hidden charges with Nippon yasan besides the core of product price and shipping? Customs anything additional like that?

And the biggest question, line green or khaki, I already have a black OG.

Not sure what kind of hidden charges you're expecting, but the price I paid was the price it said. I also didn't get any custom charges or anything either, but I've only had mine for 2 weeks.

Not sure what kind of hidden charges you're expecting, but the price I paid was the price it said. I also didn't get any custom charges or anything either, but I've only had mine for 2 weeks.

Never ordered anything overseas before, so I am not sure what to expect at all, figured if ask all I could, what color did you go with?

Never ordered anything overseas before, so I am not sure what to expect at all, figured if ask all I could, what color did you go with?

Same thing as ordering stuff here :) I didn't get hit with a customs charge and don't know of anyone else who did, but I'll let you know if it changes.

I ended up with the light blue one (best color!) If I had to choose between the two you want, I'd go with the lime green. More interesting of a color compared to khaki imo.

Pangya

Another thing I noticed about the Vita 2000 import is that the Toukiden US PSN demo still had X and O switched to be that of the Japanese standard. I'm not sure if the full version of Toukiden would also keep it switched or not. I didn't notice this in any other game I played on the 2000.

Another thing I noticed about the Vita 2000 import is that the Toukiden US PSN demo still had X and O switched to be that of the Japanese standard. I'm not sure if the full version of Toukiden would also keep it switched or not. I didn't notice this in any other game I played on the 2000.

It's software based so any game could be different. Dissidia also has it switched, even though it tells you to press X.

RaikuHebi

Banned
A friend's work colleague is currently in HK. He's going to ask the guy if he can bring back a Vita for me haha. Only problem is I'm torn between the Sapphire Blue or White OLED and a Light Green or Light Blue Slim.

If it works out for me though either way I'll save a shit ton of money both price wise and shipping wise. I google'd and Sony Store HK is selling the Slim for what amounts to £118, compare that to £180 here (£100 if I trade in my black OLED). Hopefully a Sapphire Blue/White OLED can be found at a decent price though.

Chanser

A friend's work colleague is currently in HK. He's going to ask the guy if he can bring back a Vita for me haha. Only problem is I'm torn between the Sapphire Blue or White OLED and a Light Green or Light Blue Slim.

If it works out for me though either way I'll save a shit ton of money both price wise and shipping wise. I google'd and Sony Store HK is selling the Slim for what amounts to £118, compare that to £180 here (£100 if I trade in my black OLED). Hopefully a Sapphire Blue/White OLED can be found at a decent price though.

Personally I would go for sapphire blue.

Chanser

It's what I'm leaning towards tbh. Fully coloured (unlike the 2000s) and OLED. Absolute dream combination.

Even if this guy can't find it or bring it then I may just import it from the internet.

I'm not sure asian vita's use circle to confirm or not.

Top Bottom