• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita Production To end In Japan In 2019

Susurrus

Y'all act like you can't still use yours. Plenty of games out there. I plan to keep my Vita (blue OLED model <3) for trips for a while, despite also having a Switch. Not to mention my PSTV hooked up to my bedroom TV for remote play to bring over my PS4, not to mention Vita/PSP/PS1 games, not like it takes any space up, it gets to stay.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Umm this is a different story from the one you said...
"They [SCEA and SCEE] have to make exceptions to approve this sort of project in the West: one that runs on PS3 but doesn’t have trophies or make use of regular PSN for online play… it uses a modification of adhoc party which doesn’t exist in the West.

In short, it requires them to localize and launch SCEJ network services (which is development work and QA/support on their side) that don’t currently exist in either territory and a release it from the usual platform requirements for trophies, etc. It’s not trivial on Sony’s part."

DonF

I always wanted to get one, but the stupid prices of the mem cards and the fact that it never had price drops here kept me away.
I have like 300 games for the Vita, thanks to years of plus... That I will most likely never play.

I had a Vita and wanted to love it so much, but it was just an overall let down for me personally. Still a great system I am sure, but the cost of ownership (mem cards) and lack of some of picky games just made me sell it...
I might pick one up used later down the road.

Last edited:

n0razi

Man, if they had just ditched the cameras, the back touchpad, and put R1/R2 shoulder buttons on it, it would have been the best handheld ever. I'd use it for Remote Play all the time on top of native games just playing more competently.

The camera and rear touchpad probably cost $2 to add... its the lack of microSD/SD support that really hurt IMHO

I always wanted to get one, but the stupid prices of the mem cards and the fact that it never had price drops here kept me away.
I have like 300 games for the Vita, thanks to years of plus... That I will most likely never play.

Just get a PSTV... like $50 on ebay

Last edited:

Petrae

Sony put in enough effort on their end, but the third party abandoned it before it even started. They weren't going to risk their PS4 plans for the Vita, so they couldn't put their top tier studios on it, so they don't have Nintendo's ability to launch must-have titles on the handheld.

I’m sorry, but I cannot agree with the bolded.

If Sony had put in the effort:

— It would have paid for prime sales space in retail stores for the Vita at launch and at least for some time afterwards. Instead, displays were meager.

— There would have been some kind of memorable marketing campaign. Hell, the PSP had Marcus (“Step Your Game Up!”). The Vita had... ummm... nothing.

— Sony would’ve made consistent efforts at E3 events to showcase the Vita, instead of giving up after a couple of years and relegating it to a distant spot on the show floor while keeping it out of its E3 press events.

— Sony would have understood that the exorbitantly priced memory cards were a major roadblock to success and lowered prices sooner, instead of maintaining its almost criminal level of markup on them.

— Sony would have flexed some of its muscle with its first-party studios and gotten them to work on Vita titles instead of farming out IP to lesser teams.

Sony fucked up with the Vita at nearly every turn. The platform deserved a better fate, and fans owe small/indie devs along with a handful of Japanese third-party publishers for what success the thing had. Aside from the hardware design, Sony did nothing for the platform and deserves all of the criticism for its weak sales performance.

Vawn

Banned
Sony put in enough effort on their end, but the third party abandoned it before it even started. They weren't going to risk their PS4 plans for the Vita, so they couldn't put their top tier studios on it, so they don't have Nintendo's ability to launch must-have titles on the handheld.

I had great fun with it. Hope for a new one, but mobile tech is really getting to the point where you're playing console-like games. Who needs a dedicated handheld when you can play Fortnite on your phone.

No they didn't. Indies supported it and kept it alive.

Sony never treated it right after the first year. SquareEnix and NIS supported it better than Sony after that first year.

Tenaciousmo

There would have been some kind of memorable marketing campaign.
Suu738t.jpg
Slightly nsfw spoiler

Doom85

Y'all act like you can't still use yours. Plenty of games out there. I plan to keep my Vita (blue OLED model <3) for trips for a while, despite also having a Switch. Not to mention my PSTV hooked up to my bedroom TV for remote play to bring over my PS4, not to mention Vita/PSP/PS1 games, not like it takes any space up, it gets to stay.

Oh, I definitely intend to keep mine (and my 3DS), no question there. Just mourning the end of new releases, that's all.

Kaljinyu

Yet the Switch is getting one of the most fanservicey games of the generation so far:

Peach-Ball-Senran-Kagura_2018_08-01-18_001.jpg

Sexy pinball.

Darn the luck. I just... I don't see Nintendo promoting this with a straight face. I don't see this being in a Nintendo E3 package, for instance. Last time an SK game was making the rounds, all the journalism was talking about how it was a miracle it was even localized. Boggles me to no end that Nintendo can just shrug at this.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Looks like I'm going to hoard one more Vita when I go to Japan!

FStubbs

Look at it this way.

Vita was the first Sony game platform to use off the shelf parts instead of Emotion Engine/Cell/etc. It paved the way for PS4.

Last edited:

wzy

I'd feel a lot worse about this if all 3 of my fucking Vitas didn't have serious defects that made the control sticks and touch screen unusable.

scalman

still waiting here for real handheld console, like same as home console just to carry in pocket with all games digital maybe most of them kept in cloud.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
still waiting here for real handheld console, like same as home console just to carry in pocket with all games digital maybe most of them kept in cloud.
have fun waiting. i doubt sony are gonna make another new handheld. the Switch is pretty much the only option right now and it's a brilliant device.

Top Bottom