• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita System software 3.50 adds 30% more memory for game use.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
This came out from the Unite Tokyo 2015 event.

CCc3IEvVIAAHsQN.jpg:large

"PS Vita System software 3.50 allows for 30% more memory size usage with games."

Pretty big news honestly. Wonder what took Sony this long to decide to do this?

Should fix the title. As edited the quote.

Redhood

Maybe they have finalised that there will not be any further major updates to the firmware and released some of the reserved ram.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Unfortunately no one will be making any AAA-level games for the Vita:(

Kyoufu

I'm going to guess that Japanese developers who are working on multiplatform titles (PS4/PS3/Vita) asked for more juice. DQ Heroes 2 may not look terribly downgraded on Vita.

Parakeetman

Had heard that initially the Vita had some stuff partitioned off due to Sony wanting to save it for use with the "Social Applications" that was planned for the Vita.

This was a long time ago though before the Vita came out. Heard from another close friend in the industry. But never really heard anything official about that / looked it up. As kinda forgot about that topic from way back when.

So not exactly how correct this is. bishoptl is free to contact me about this if he wants.

I feel like this is too little too late.

Not really considering that in Japan lots of devs are still doing things with the system and there are a lot of cross platform games now that also includes the vita in the library. Bandai Namco in particular is very strong with this. Koei Tecmo also.

The West on the other hand yeah, outside of the indie titles that are still being made for the system.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
30%? That seems too large an amount.

What has it been doing with that memory up till now?

EDIT. Already answered I think.

Had heard that initially the Vita had some stuff partitioned off due to Sony wanting to save it for use with the "Social Applications" that was planned for the Vita.

This was a long time ago though before the Vita came out. Heard from another close friend in the industry. But never really heard anything official about that / looked it up. As kinda forgot about that topic from way back when.

So not exactly how correct this is.

Percy

Banned
Something similar to this happened with the PSP after it'd been out a couple of years, didn't it?

Thats pretty great. Hope some upcoming games make use of that.

I'm not sure, but are there actually any upcoming Vita games besides Resi Revelations 2 that might push the system in any notable way?

Games don't need to be 'AAA' to be technically demanding.

Parakeetman

That and there was talk about other stuff like facebook and other social media related junk.

Something similar to this happened with the PSP after it'd been out a couple of years, didn't it?

I'm not sure, but are there actually any upcoming Vita games besides Resi Revelations 2 that might push the system in any notable way?

Am not sure exactly on the PSP. Only thing I really remember was just battery life efficiency with the newer units vs the OG ones. Loading and whatnots dont recall.

Parakeetman

I wonder if this was done to help with remote play stuff also? Though one thing for sure is to have Sony actually do this, this late in the game it means that there was a request for it from devs and Sony is showing interest in the system again to have it done. At least thats how I see it so if anything its highly positive in my book.

I wonder if recent games would update to take advantage of this. For example, the new Senran Kagura game, which apparently the Vita version kinda sucked on a technical level.

dkoy

I don't suppose current games on the Vita would use that extra 30% without the need for patches? Not that many games actually need more RAM but just wondering.

Renekton

If that is true, hopefully the same happens to PS4 where Sony junks some planned OS features to free up resources.

Aaaaand not long after Iron Galaxy had said that they're not doing any more updates for Borderlands 2. Oh well. It's still a fairly competent port (now, at least) if you've been a modern console gamer and therefore used to sub 30fps games.

I would like to see more games patched to make use of this.

Parakeetman

I don't suppose current games on the Vita would use that extra 30% without the need for patches? Not that many games actually need more RAM but just wondering.

Since we have no idea how this actually works and whatnots. Am sure we will not know until a dev who is able to discuss the whole backend situation comes out and makes info public. Which may / may not happen.

SmokyDave

Man, that's kind of a kick in the bollocks. It's like making chocolate sauce free after people have stopped making ice cream.

Parakeetman

PSP and PS3 did this also. PSP also introduced higher CPU clocks.

Very cool bout the PSP. Was not familiar with that at all as Im not really one to pay attention to the more finer details about hardware / software revisions and such. lol.

Kinda funny considering have like 3 different PSP generations I think. 1 2 3k series.

kubricks

How does this 30% more memory works anyway? Do it speed up the loading time or PS1 emulation?
Either way it is good news.

Gravity Rush 2 hype

I secretly wish the game is still for Vita/PS4 but the sign is pointing toward a PS4 release only? No? ;_;

Paz

Anything that would make use of suddenly having additional ram would have crashed out if it had less resources before, these are closed boxes with finite memory and no swap file.

Unlike say the PSP CPU throttling which would change games if you forcibly enabled it because stuff would just get processed faster (Though some stuff broke iirc which is why you still needed to mod your PSP to enable this in older games and experience glorious framerate improvements).

Very cool bout the PSP. Was not familiar with that at all as Im not really one to pay attention to the more finer details about hardware / software revisions and such. lol.

Kinda funny considering have like 3 different PSP generations I think. 1 2 3k series.

The PSP situation was interesting since hackers unlocked the higher clock speeds via Custom Firmware well before Sony did so officially. I recall emulator coders highly recommending the clock speed change to properly run some of the demanding games.

Parakeetman

The PSP situation was interesting since hackers unlocked the higher clock speeds via Custom Firmware well before Sony did so officially. I recall emulator coders highly recommending the clock speed change to properly run some of the demanding games.

Oh wow thats pretty crazy. Very cool stuff.

Harlock

The original PSP also had more clockspeed allowed. I wonder if is a tradition in Sony game hardware to lock part of power to extend the console/hadheld life. The PS3 had all the cell dark magic to understand.

Sintoid

How does this 30% more memory works anyway? Do it speed up the loading time or PS1 emulation?

I secretly wish the game is still for Vita/PS4 but the sign is pointing toward a PS4 release only? No? ;_;

Actually... no...

Parakeetman

Seeing how Console + Vita sales do fairly well and are generally spread down the middle would not be surprised if they did 2 versions in Japan. Bandai Namco numbers is a pretty good example of this.

PerZona

I feel like this is a little to late.
Not really, considering the amount of Japanese games on the Vita I don't think it's too late.

Hopefully this move would encourage more devs to develop more console games on the Vita, like DQ Heroes 2.

Condom

Wipeout Pure in 60fps never forget.

RIP Studio Liverpool

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm not sure what to think :\
Better late than never i guess.

30% of how much? I mean 30% of 100mb(30mb) is a lot lower increment than the 30% of 400mb(120mb), just an example.

RAM is an all purpose memory, it's not tied to graphics, it can be used for graphics but it has many uses, it won't improve improve the number of polygons that Vita can handle, but a level could contain more objects and enemies for example.

this would be great for a potential FFXII port

Wasn't the PS2 already weaker than Vita?(Note that a PS2 port is technically a native Vita game, so bad PS2 ports on Vita doesn't mean that Vita is weaker than a PS2 but just that those ports are simply bad)

Skyzard

Banned
Wow nice! Hopefully we [see] some new games that weren't possible come, perhaps improvements to previous games?

Top Bottom