• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VITA TV announced (~$100, Vita set top box - as in it has no screen - for TVs)

It already has DS4 support. And I don't see why Japan performance is relevant. This thing was never aimed for Japan. Japan doesn't care about home consoles.
Sony is still a Japanese company at heart, so doing well in Japan is very important to their gaming hardware plans. Plus there was at least one interview (IIRC) from Sony reps saying that if there was a lot of interest in the Vita TV in Japan, that they might expand availability to other countries (which was the wrong approach IMO).

Just bought one a few days ago.

My impressions:

Since Vita games run at about 900p, blowing it up on a big screen looks fine. I mean, it depends on the game, but so far the Tales games and Ys look great.

It's suuuper small. Like, pack of playing cards. But, to think that a system that is nearly as good as the PS3 (not as powerful, but I mean Vita is pretty close overall) cam be manufactured that small makes me wonder if the PS3 couldn't also have been.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

My impressions:

Since Vita games run at about 900p, blowing it up on a big screen looks fine. I mean, it depends on the game, but so far the Tales games and Ys look great.

It's suuuper small. Like, pack of playing cards. But, to think that a system that is nearly as good as the PS3 (not as powerful, but I mean Vita is pretty close overall) cam be manufactured that small makes me wonder if the PS3 couldn't also have been.

The vita is nowhere close to a ps3 hardware wise actually. It is still mobile phone hardware that was state of the art 2 years ago. Probably 6 times less powerful than a ps3.

koutoru

Technical nitpick: The Vita's otherwise gorgeous 960x544 screen is not close to 900p (1600x900).
That's if the game is even runnig at the Vita's native resolution.
Although tbh, upscaleing on the Vita would probably work better thanks to it having a small screen in the first place.

Also, from what I heard, Vita games upscaled using Vita TV actually look pretty good on the big screen.

My impressions:

Thanks for the impressions.

Man, Vita TV would be day one purchase here. Come on Sony, you know we want it out West.

Gestault

The vita is nowhere close to a ps3 hardware wise actually. It is still mobile phone hardware that was state of the art 2 years ago. Probably 6 times less powerful than a ps3.

I know I just got done posting a nitpick about the same guy's statement, but with the additional RAM and lower resolution to target, I can see where he's coming from in terms of the tech feeling almost on-par. Seeing titles like KZ: Mercenaries and Tearaway admittedly gives the same impression as many PS3 titles. You're not wrong, at all, but I see where he/she's coming from.

rrs

My impressions:

I'm guessing heat and R&D costs are going to keep it from getting as close to the size of a Vita TV

Gestault

What is a costume controller?

XsRwW1j.jpg

(Seriously though, I think it was a typo for "custom" controller. Apologies if we just had a sarcasm cross-fire.)

BigDug13

There's no news yet, but just the fact that they're bringing other media apps like amazon streaming and Hulu to Vita makes me think they're gearing up for an announcement. Though if Apple TV revision gets access to PSNow, it could eliminate my desire a bit.

Takao

Banned
Over the past few weeks Vita has been getting a bunch of media apps that solely use button inputs. Either those were from scrapped plans to launch VitaTV in North America, or it's them gearing up to release it here. Some of them even reference buttons that only a DualShock controller has.

Top Bottom