• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita US Launch Details (Launch Games, Accessory Pricing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I don't have to rebuy my PSP catalog. Some of us saw the writing on the wall years ago, and planned ahead. I stopped buying UMDs in like 2009 unless a game was UMD-only.
Ehhh. I'm not going to rebuy my PSP catalog. I knew this was coming (and in fact if Vita was DD only I wouldn't buy it), and didn't like it. Right now I buy UMDs, rip them, and transfer them to my Go. That'll probably be how it remains.

metalshade

Can anyone tell me wht the program is called for transferring stuff from your PC to the Vita?
I want to get it set up before time.
I dont have a PS3, before anyone makes the obvious point.

Lothars

Me, I'd like new and interesting ways to continue to access the content I've already bought. I'd pay money for something like that. Vita? I'd have to get it as a gift.

Maybe people are too obsessed with backwards compatibility. But since people are who you're trying to sell the thing to, it might be easier to serve those concerns, rather than change or ignore them, no?
Me, I will be able to access my PSP games because I bought them on PSN, my big complaint is that all PSP games are not on PSN but I don't think it's a bad thing for them to drop UMD and now maybe the next Sony portable will be backwards compatible with the physical media instead of not being.

I like that the 3DS is backwards compatible but It's not essential and I do think it's possible that the next nintendo portable after the 3ds might not play DS games.

Wozzer

How does the Vita handle saves and game storage on the bespoke memory cards?

Only having owned a PS3 I don't want to purchase a 4gig card, planning to be moving games/saves to and from the card frequently, only to find like the PS3 saves are locked down and utterly useless. I expect drag and drop is too much to ask for?

Rich!

Posted this in the other thread, but I'll post it here too:

Went to my local GAME today and saw they had a vita behind the counter, locked up. I asked if I could have a go, and was slightly surprised that the staff just handed it to me, completely untethered, and let me play it for a good ten minutes!

I'm...kinda stunned really. It is a really, REALLY awesome piece of kit. The screen is fucking amazing, and the console itself weighs barely anything. My only gripe was the heavy reliance on the touch screen. It's cool yeah, but do I REALLY have to use it for the menu on Uncharted? Ah well

...put down my pre-order immediately afterwards. Just the console, not decided on any games yet. Will probably get Rayman and Wipeout.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I bought games off of PSN.

Guess that works for you, as long as that network is secure, up and running, and allows those titles to be redownloaded.

I'm just glad Atari wasn't digitally distributing their titles when I bought my Lynx. I have physical carts that I can go back and replay any time I want, from this time forward in history, for as long as the hardware and electronics holds up. Who even is Atari now?

Think you'll still be downloading those PSP games from the PSN store 15 years from now?

Me, I will be able to access my PSP games because I bought them on PSN, my big complaint is that all PSP games are not on PSN but I don't think it's a bad thing for them to drop UMD and now maybe the next Sony portable will be backwards compatible with the physical media instead of not being.

I like that the 3DS is backwards compatible but It's not essential and I do think it's possible that the next nintendo portable after the 3ds might not play DS games.

Yeah they keep it one platform back in the BC, which I think is pretty fair. It generally gives you the options of one of two generations of hardware to retain if you're interested in keeping your games for play in the future.

How does the Vita handle saves and game storage on the bespoke memory cards?

Only having owned a PS3 I don't want to purchase a 4gig card, planning to be moving games/saves to and from the card frequently, only to find like the PS3 saves are locked down and utterly useless. I expect drag and drop is too much to ask for?

That's what I'm trying to figure out as well. I haven't seen any videos of anyone accessing the Vita card via usb to PC though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Guess that works for you, as long as that network is secure, up and running, and allows those titles to be redownloaded.

I'm just glad Atari wasn't digitally distributing their titles when I bought my Lynx. I have physical carts that I can go back and replay any time I want, from this time forward in history, for as long as the hardware and electronics holds up. Who even is Atari now?

Think you'll still be downloading those PSP games from the PSN store 15 years from now?

Yeah they keep it one platform back in the BC, which I think is pretty fair. It generally gives you the options of one of two generations of hardware to retain if you're interested in keeping your games for play in the future.

Unless Sony leaves the game industry, which doesn't seem likely given how invested they are in it, I'd expect PSN too continue expanding with all the older content still available. And I'd also expect future hardware to be compatible, so Vita's successor will also be able to play digital PSP games.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I can also back up my games to a PC, or a PS3 so it's not like I'm solely tied to Sony's network.
Don't those games need to be verified on the network to even copy them or run them, though? I think if you're buying digital you're tied down to PSN.

branny

Ehhh. I'm not going to rebuy my PSP catalog. I knew this was coming (and in fact if Vita was DD only I wouldn't buy it), and didn't like it. Right now I buy UMDs, rip them, and transfer them to my Go. That'll probably be how it remains.
Seriously, something must be done about the physical vs. digital divide. Retail versions of games should come with a voucher for a hefty discount on the digital version, and the download version should be significantly cheaper in the first place to discourage people from abusing the reselling of physical copies after nabbing the voucher code. The same thing can be said for games with PS3/Vita cross-compatibility--I think the "premium" console version should have some code for a discount on the digital Vita version if both games aren't significantly different from one another.

I'm freaking out because I want to own things physically and the option to legally rip digital copies of them, but it's easier and cheaper to just go with a hassle-free digital version right from the start because physical versions of games eventually drop in price.

It sucks because I was playing both PSP Lumines games all day yesterday (well, mostly the original), and it'd be so nice having the new one digitally. Better games, the ones that are more important to me, the ones that I'd want to play all the time, need to be on my system 24/7.

But...I'm going retail. If I want the luxury of having something readily accessible, I'll just get the digital version later on as a supplement that may or may not exist in the future due to the iffy nature of things on PSN. It's not like a Super Nintendo you have in storage somewhere that can be dusted off whenever. Some games get taken down, and that service might not even exist years from now.

fake edit: Imbarkus already sort of made this point.

Seriously, something must be done about the physical vs. digital divide. Retail versions of games should come with a voucher for a hefty discount on the digital version, and the download version should be significantly cheaper in the first place to discourage people from abusing the reselling of physical copies after nabbing the voucher code. The same thing can be said for games with PS3/Vita cross-compatibility--I think the "premium" console version should have some code for a discount on the digital Vita version if both games aren't significantly different from one another.

I'm freaking out because I want to own things physically and the option to legally rip digital copies of them, but it's easier and cheaper to just go with a hassle-free digital version right from the start because physical versions of games eventually drop in price.

It sucks because I was playing both PSP Lumines games all day yesterday (well, mostly the original), and it'd be so nice having the new one digitally. Better games, the ones that are more important to me, the ones that I'd want to play all the time, need to be on my system 24/7.

But...I'm going retail. If I want the luxury of having something readily accessible, I'll just get the digital version later on as a supplement that may or may not exist in the future due to the iffy nature of things on PSN. It's not like a Super Nintendo you have in storage somewhere that can be dusted off whenever. Some games get taken down, and that service might not even exist years from now.

fake edit: Imbarkus already sort of made this point.

I have all of my psp games on a single flash drive, and backed up in cloud storage. I can access them any time I want, and am covered in case of theft, fire etc.

Apath

You use CFW and ISOs, in other words? lol. I feel.
I own like... 15 PSP games, and every single one of them was purchased over PSN.

No idea. You're probably right. Gadget lust, I suppose. It's not about the money, I just don't like having stuff cluttering up my house I'm not using. So I'd been thinking about dumping the PS3 anyway.

I think I might use the Vita more than the PS3 since it's portable, and I could play a game while watching a movie or show. Like I said, you might be right. /shrugs
I don't see selling your PS3 for a Vita as a bad decision, especially if you aren't playing the PS3 a lot. The only way it becomes an issue is if you do not have any titles you're looking forward to on the Vita.

The PS3 and 360 share like 90-95% of their library, and the Vita is going to have a lot of the PS3's exclusives (well, IP wise). As long as you have games you're looking forward to, you probably will be missing out on very little this way. And in the end, you can always buy another PS3.

NHDave

Paid off

Wi-Fi Vita 249.99 Gamestop
32gb 99.99 Gamestop
Cradle 19.99 Amazon
Case+screen protector 9.99 eBay

Getting Hot Shots Golf....download so I don't know the $$$$
as well as Super Stardust Delta
also all over StreetFighter x Tekken in March woo hoo!

Takao

Banned
Don't those games need to be verified on the network to even copy them or run them, though? I think if you're buying digital you're tied down to PSN.

Not that I know of. I just checked right now by turning off my WiFi before booting MediaGo and the transfer went fine:

2JTIV.png

Takao

Banned
What games on PSN have been taken down exactly? You guys are acting as if it has already happened.

Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai
Dragon Ball Z: Shin Budokai - Another Road
Brave Story: New Traveler

+ some IREM stuff (on JP store), and a few Minis due to company collapse. If you bought it, it's forever in your download list even if it's removed from the store. I bought DBZ for PSP, and can still download it.

Yuripaw

Banned
Not that I know of. I just checked right now by turning off my WiFi before booting MediaGo and the transfer went fine:

http://i.imgur.com/2JTIV.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Phantasy Star Portable 2...that is not on the PSN store anymore either, just looked.

CoilShot

+ some IREM stuff (on JP store), and a few Minis due to company collapse. If you bought it, it's forever in your download list even if it's removed from the store. I bought DBZ for PSP, and can still download it.

Why would they take the Dragon Ball Z games down? License issues?

branny

How's The Red Star on PSP? Is it a good port?

What games on PSN have been taken down exactly? You guys are acting as if it has already happened.
There was that scare with Irem not too long ago. And there are many demos on PSN that don't exist anymore. Some you can redownload, while some are totally gone. And with that one sudden change to how the PS3 manages "installed" PSP content, the whole thing just seems really unstable and volatile.

cyborg009

Banned

You just reminded me my friend who went away for college never gave back my another road UMD........

you need get some god eater burst on your psp

Takao

Banned
Why would they take the Dragon Ball Z games down? License issues?

Yes. Atari published the games on PSN, and their license lapsed, with Scamco taking up the reigns. Apparently Scamco didn't negotiate online distribution in their deal signed in 2009 (!!!), jeeze are they incompetent or what?

How's The Red Star on PSP? Is it a good port?

I never played the PS2 version to compare, but it's a fun enough game.

tzare

i will probably trade-in my 3ds once i've finished resident evil. No games of my taste on the horizon and mk7 will be substituted by wipeout as my portable racer

One thing Im excited about (beyond my also all digital psp library) are the 50+ minis I've gotten for free since joining psn+. I threw them all in a folder and never played them until recently when I decided to check them out to see which will make it onto the vita. I was surprised by how fun alot of them were.

The most recent free one, Mecho Wars, is gonna get a ton of play. Seems like a fun advance wars type game.

I don't think media go supports the Vita.

There is software available with the vita called something like Content Manager, which can be used to backup various things.

Wow, I just installed the content manager and there is no store at all anymore. It looks like the store will only be accessible from the Vita itself. That really kind of sucks. :(

Kuran

Banned
Me, I'd like new and interesting ways to continue to access the content I've already bought. I'd pay money for something like that. Vita? I'd have to get it as a gift.

That's nice and all, but naive.

If you bought physical UMD's, you'll have access to those games until you are 99 years old anyway, just keep your old PSP around. Nothing wrong with that device!

Not all systems have had backwards compatibility, so it isn't like Sony had something to prove.. PSP was their first handheld. The UMD format was a mistake. They are probably very happy they never have to bring it up again.

The external UMD drive would have most likely wittled the battery life down to 1 or 2 hours.. you would need to tether your device to the power outlet to play your UMD games.

One thing Im excited about (beyond my also all digital psp library) are the 50+ minis I've gotten for free since joining psn+. I threw them all in a folder and never played them until recently when I decided to check them out to see which will make it onto the vita. I was surprised by how fun alot of them were.

The most recent free one, Mecho Wars, is gonna get a ton of play. Seems like a fun advance wars type game.

Do you get to keep your PSN+ gifted games after your subscription runs out?

Raine

It isn't compatible yet. They said they're working on it though.

We should get a FAQ going. A lot of questions being asked were already answered. But I guess we'll have to wait until the official launch thread for that?

Kafel

Banned
It isn't compatible yet. They said they're working on it though.

We should get a FAQ going. A lot of questions being asked were already answered. But I guess we'll have to wait until the official launch thread for that?

yes Takao is doing an awesome job, typing all of them as we speak

test_account

XP-39C²
But if Sony wanted Vita to succeed in Japan without a new Monster Hunter title then maybe they should have made sure folks could at least play the old one on it. Instead, if you want to play the new Monster hunter portable, you buy 3DS. This is a colossal failure.
You think that a UMD addon would make much difference? Honest question. Personally i doubt it. It would be no place to put it without causing some inconvenience (like blocking the rear touchpad), and it would also cost extra money. And i dont think that an addon like that would be cheap either. My guess is that it would have cost at least 5000 Yen.

This is only Sony's second portable. It's a dangerous precedent to support that backwards compatibility is no longer expected. But then again, it's just part of this whole generation's willingness to freely capitulate any sense of ownership of, or access to, anything they pay money for.
What exactly are you capitulate ownership to? Your old PSP and those games would work fine even if they dont work on another system as well. I'd say that it is a more "dangerous" precedent to take it for granted that backward compability is going to happen.

I honestly dont see the complain here. I mean, i can see that you want backward compability to happen, and that is fair enough, but i have no idea what you mean about capitulate any sense of ownership when you lose nothing in this case. Backward compability is something that is an addition, it is not something that is required for a new system to work, so nothing is missing or being taken away in that regards.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Repostin' like a bawss:

Is the Wifi/3G bundle worth it? I mean, to use the 3G, you have to pay additional each month, right? And if you have Wifi connections nearly everywhere you are, does that defeat the purpose of the 3G like it does on the iPad?

The thread title better be

Playstation Vita NA Launch |OT| Dead and Loving It

Playstation Vita NA Launch |OT| Already dead, just doesn't know it

Playstation Vita NA Launch |OT| Gonna fail so hard just like the PSP

Playstation Vita NA Launch |OT| I just came back from 2015 and there aren't even consoles anymore all anyone does is play with their iphone

Playstation Vita NA Launch |OT| Arthur Gies doesn't give this thing 18 months so that pretty much means it will be fucking huge

Playstation Vita NA Launch |OT| Why does this even exist?

Ok, you win chubigans, but i had to try.

I feel like it should have DOOOOOOOMED somewhere in it, but I couldn't think of anything good. I guess Dead is just as good.

e_i

Huh...I tried ordering Rayman Origins with release date delivery through Amazon. When I log into my account...it takes the release date delivery away. I log out and it says release date delivery. Log in...no release date delivery. Weird man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom