• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita US Launch Details (Launch Games, Accessory Pricing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yea, a gamestop around my area just got it in today, and I got to play Uncharted, Wipeout, and Gravity Daze! Btw, this is my second time playing it. My first impressions were only with Little Deviants which you can read like 2 pages back.

I was there for like an hour lol. The analogs sticks are awesome as pointed out earlier. i also was able to examine the shoulder buttons better today. They are less clicky and more quiet like the PSPgo's. They are supposed to be clear, but for some reason in most lighting, they look like light black/very very dark gray. The rubberized tips on the sticks are also very grippy.

Uncharted, for some reason the demo kept looping and I was never able to get out of the burning house. Also, the multitasking was disabled as well as the sound. Plus if you pressed the home button, it closed the current app, I guess since it was a demo unit, seems stupid for promotion. Uncharted itself was sub native res, but the textures were still high and it is upscaled well. There is not too much aliasing. The graphics are what you would expect from seeing the trailers, but I'd say the fire is terrible. The touch navigation can actually be fun to use and less aggravating when drake sometimes falls off ledges in all the uncharted games. The machete touch gimmick is that, just a gimmick. Imo, it was really stupid and seemed to slow down the pace of things, especially when a house is on fire, and you're trying to get out. A bit silly. I WILL definitely get the game. Especially because of the treasure hunting trophies.

Next up is Wipeout 2048. First thought is that the graphics are phenomenal and it controlled much easier than Wipeout HD on PS3. The city track was awesome how you go up the side of a building. The game also felt more of a racer. I say this because in Wipeout HD I get smoked so bad that I feel like I'm always on a very steep uphill battle. That was the first track though, and the only track on the demo. Wish they would have had zone mode. Also, the new weapon system is very cool, with different colored pads indicating different classes of powerups. Because of the larger and wider tracks the combat comes into play more, with more strategic areas of shooting and letting off mines. Overall very pleased, actually surprised at how it's better than Wipeout HD, at least for a newbie like me. Will get for sure, just sealed the purchase on this game.

Finally, I played Gravity Daze which was really cool with the gyro and all. The adventure feeling felt really great with a whole anime style world to explore which is very interesting to me for a videogame. You can also of course aim your path using the right analog stick to indicate where to place the force of gravity next. Stop in midair and just admire the sights. The game seems to also be sub native res, but again it really doesn't matter. Looks suuuper good regardless. There are jaggies, but it does not ruin the experience for me. Much better to have jaggies than the extremely noticeable ghosting on PSP imo. btw, the OLED screen is top notch, huge and just overwhelming for the bezel and all. Very very satisfied with that. Analog sticks function very well, with quick movements being easy to shift gravity. The unit was tied so I couldn't really use the gyro too much. I might get it, depending on further impressions and a hint of new concepts and areas to explore.

Overall, I'm completely satisfied with the hardware with no annoyances for me whatsoever. The software has delivered in the same way. I will definitely be keeping my pre-order. This is the hardest part though. Oh, what an agonizing wait this is going to be. Feb 22, LET'S GO!!!

Can anyone tell me wht the program is called for transferring stuff from your PC to the Vita?
I want to get it set up before time.
I dont have a PS3, before anyone makes the obvious point.

Media Go

I don't think media go supports the Vita.

There is software available with the vita called something like Content Manager, which can be used to backup various things.

I've looked and can find no evidence that Media Go will support Vita. This is the program James-Ape was refering to, and it specifically states that it is to support Vita<>PC file transfer and backup: http://cma.dl.playstation.net/cma/win/en/index.html

Not all systems have had backwards compatibility, so it isn't like Sony had something to prove.. PSP was their first handheld. The UMD format was a mistake. They are probably very happy they never have to bring it up again.
Except for the Nintendo's Game Boy/DS machines and the Playstation/Playstation 2, what other systems had perfect backward compatibility? Both XBox 360 and PS3 kinda fudged it and forgot it, and none of the cartridge consoles ever even pretended backwards compatibility... Where this entitlement to BC came from I don't know; it's a nice-to-have, not a right... I was rather pleased that Sony bothered supporting the DD PSP library.

btkadams

I've looked and can find no evidence that Media Go will support Vita. This is the program James-Ape was refering to, and it specifically states that it is to support Vita<>PC file transfer and backup: http://cma.dl.playstation.net/cma/win/en/index.html

Except for the Nintendo's Game Boy/DS machines and the Playstation/Playstation 2, what other systems had perfect backward compatibility? Both XBox 360 and PS3 kinda fudged it and forgot it, and none of the cartridge consoles ever even pretended backwards compatibility... Where this entitlement to BC came from I don't know; it's a nice-to-have, not a right... I was rather pleased that Sony bothered supporting the DD PSP library.

man, i really hope the mac version comes soon. i have parallels and windows 7 so i'll be able to use the windows application, but it's really annoying to boot a virtual machine just for that.

Eusis

Yes, this is correct. This app sits in the background on your PC while all content management is done on the Vita itself via the Content Manager app on the Vita.
At least unlike the PS3, Media Go support isn't trashed in order to accommodate both. Finally got around to putting all my PSP/PS1 games (or most of them) on my PC and deleting all those now irrelevant PS3 files.

abasm

Where this entitlement to BC came from I don't know; it's a nice-to-have, not a right... I was rather pleased that Sony bothered supporting the DD PSP library.

Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile. Backwards compatibility is such a good idea that it should be the standard, but isn't enforced by the market. (i.e. it probably drives sales, but isn't a necessity.)

The thing about (good) backwards compatibility is that, in the event of a dearth of new titles, you can always plumb the depths of the previous gen's classics on new hardware. The Wii launched with the full weight of the Gamecube's library behind it. The DS was propped up by the GBA. If you owned the previous console, then you already have software for your new console; if you're jumping in for the first time, you have plenty of options. Without backwards compatibility, launch success is bound to how compelling the launch titles are.

Carl

Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile. Backwards compatibility is such a good idea that it should be the standard, but isn't enforced by the market. (i.e. it probably drives sales, but isn't a necessity.)

Someone should tell the PS3.

Takao

Banned
PS Vita: Finger My Rear

WXaNh.gif

Yuripaw

Banned
My god, I am so effing tired of the 'Vita is dead' meme. It is run into the ground. Please stop it.
Same here...I would hope some more people would be enthusiastic about the Vita, but when people keeping putting it down, and saying that it's dead before it's even released, then I guess the iOS devices have already won.

I'm a gamer, and I want to continue getting gaming devices. I've always thought folks here at GAF were pretty hardcore when it comes to gaming, otherwise why would they post on one of the biggest GAMING forums. Vita is specifically aiming at the "hardcore" market, and when it's own market isn't very interested in it, it's really discouraging.

Best Buy, West Covina Mall in CA, sales rep had the Vita on his landyard; nice use of demo unit...

Anywho, today I'm here to see if GAF can help me put a stop to a little habit of mine. I always tell myself that a videogame system runs / works best with as little DL content on it as possible; I keep my 3DS, DSi, and Wii as 'empty' as possible (I only keep the DL games I'm currently playing; I soon as I beat them, I back up and erase). I don't do this with PS3 and X360 because they have plenty of extra space.

With the Vita, though, I'm wondering if I can stop this 'nonsense'. Basically, my question is; does a system, especially a portable, use more battery / processing power to display and keep many downloaded games ready to launch? Does it slow down considerably, if at all? I hope I'm being clear enough. I would like my Vita to be fully loaded with all my PSP downloadable games if it won't affect my Vita's performance, speed, or battery life. I turn to GAF's gaming wisdom for advice!

daffy

Banned
My god, I am so effing tired of the 'Vita is dead' meme. It is run into the ground. Please stop it.
agreed!

EDIT: Does anyone have a schedule of the dev chats for February...
I know err Sound Shapes is the 1st and Escape Plan the 8th..

C-Jo

Seriously though, I'm unreasonably excited for the 14th. Despite launch not exactly having anything I'm crazy about, the hardware is just so sexy that I'm pumped to play PSP games on it.

Tobor

Same here...I would hope some more people would be enthusiastic about the Vita, but when people keeping putting it down, and saying that it's dead before it's even released, then I guess the iOS devices have already won.

I'm a gamer, and I want to continue getting gaming devices. I've always thought folks here at GAF were pretty hardcore when it comes to gaming, otherwise why would they post on one of the biggest GAMING forums. Vita is specifically aiming at the "hardcore" market, and when it's own market isn't very interested in it, it's really discouraging.
It's ok to be realistic and have doubts about the systems success. Anyone who claims to be a gamer should understand that sales lead to increased dev support and more games. I'm interested in the hardware, but worried about the platforms future. There's nothing wrong with that stance, and it's silly to expect savvy gamers like you find around here to all put our heads in the sand and pretend this thing is a slam dunk.

Yuripaw

Banned
It's ok to be realistic and have doubts about the systems success. Anyone who claims to be a gamer should understand that sales lead to increased dev support and more games. I'm interested in the hardware, but worried about the platforms future. There's nothing wrong with that stance, and it's silly to expect savvy gamers like you find around here to all put our heads in the sand and pretend this thing is a slam dunk.

That's true, it's just when it becomes such a widespread meme, it's hard to see anything else. Instead of seeing what's cool about the Vita when it's released, most people will see the meme, and soon that'll be the general opinion. Worrying about lack of support from developers is a valid concern, but it's a double edge sword. Developers won't support it if us consumers don't support it either.

daffy

Banned

I don't think it's ok to be annoying, after people ask you to stop being annoying. Its common courtesy. I don't come in here to discuss sales, I come in here to discuss launch details. Saying dead and DOA is not having doubts imo, its being a butt. But I understand this isn't my place.

Every five minutes or so I whine in my head "WHY DONT I HAVE A VITA YET, JEEEEEEZ!" like a four year old. I think the next 15 days may cause my psychotic break.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
For people asking about copying game saves from the PSP games.
Yes, it is possible, you connect the PSP via USB and copy the files from the PSP to the folders the Vita Content Manager created, connect your Vita and you're good to go.
No need to use Media Go or anything.

DBT85

I would appreciate any OT to be devoid of any fail/bomba/doomed meme. Those of us that are hyped can see it as a joke but plenty of people who visit these threads are doing so for the first time and the OP and title have an impact on how they are going to perceive the device as being perceived.

I have no problem with people having doubts about a new system but pretending to have doubts just seems to muddy the waters for anyone walking in wanting to see how the device is doing and whether they should jump in.

Wozzer

For people asking about copying game saves from the PSP games.
Yes, it is possible, you connect the PSP via USB and copy the files from the PSP to the folders the Vita Content Manager created, connect your Vita and you're good to go.
No need to use Media Go or anything.

rejoice-god.jpg

I expect the same is for the PS Vita saves too? No dodgy "you can't copy that save off your tiny 4gig card, as you're clearly trying to cheat on Trophies" system?

Yes, this is a repost from the other thread )

I've been working hard on some theme ideas for launch. Got one for some early adopters to try out -- If anyone remembers the "CELL" PS3 theme I whipped up a few years back, this is along the same lines (Calling it "ARC") I'm still working out the kinks re: compression and banding once the wallpaper is assigned.

Again, this setup is for multi-screen organization, though the 6 circles serve as an icon placement suggestion :). One possibility would be to place a screen or artwork from a game of choice in the center. Again, consider this a bit of an early template of sorts.

Startscreen:

6793660953_cfb98d7ec2_b.jpg

UI backdrop:

6793661181_141df8cffe_b.jpg

I cross my fingers in the hopes an icon-level editing toolkit (or even hack) is eventually released. Really, you guys have NO idea . . . :)

Looks good :)

I purchased the Valkyria Chronicles II bundle today on PSN in preparation for Vita's launch.

Yes I know this is a PSP game. But I'd rather invest in Vita and enjoy other games that
hopefully
come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom