• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita US Launch Details (Launch Games, Accessory Pricing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Thanks, I will look into it when I get on my main PC.

So I'm clear (this isn't necessarily a question for you), you can back up games but not restore them? I guess I should read that page.

Ok good, you can.

cma_app_pc_02.jpg

cma_app_pc_03.jpg

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Thanks, I will look into it when I get on my main PC.

So I'm clear (this isn't necessarily a question for you), you can back up games but not restore them? I guess I should read that page.

Ok good, you can.

cma_app_pc_02.jpg

cma_app_pc_03.jpg
You can restore them, but you can't download them on your PC like you could with Media GO (which seems a bit stupid).

NHale

F1 2011 doesn't look anything close to the image included in the post with launch games. Damn you Codemasters. :(

EDIT: Here is an actual image of the game:

scaled.php

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Maybe they have a remote detonation device in every one so it blows up the instant the Vita is released worldwid.

Why would they do that? Right now the PSP is outselling it by a huge margin in Japan! Would that still be the case if Japanese gamers could play their Monster Hunter on Vita?

The thing about (good) backwards compatibility is that, in the event of a dearth of new titles, you can always plumb the depths of the previous gen's classics on new hardware. The Wii launched with the full weight of the Gamecube's library behind it. The DS was propped up by the GBA. If you owned the previous console, then you already have software for your new console; if you're jumping in for the first time, you have plenty of options. Without backwards compatibility, launch success is bound to how compelling the launch titles are.

Given how much more difficult the mobile market is right now for Vita, how Apple has devalued mobile game software, and how Nintendo stole Monster Hunter away with a money hat, I'm just surprised this possible advantage wasn't leveraged in a better way.

Sony only had, before Vita, one generation of hardware to build up brand loyalty in the mobile space. But rather than leverage that loyalty and software, they have cut off much of that library and established an additional charge for those who have UMD games that are on PSN to be repurchased. It is a mistake, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. Listen to 8-4 Play.

I don't want the system to be doomed. I want the system to succeed. My opinions just express "what should have happened" to best ensure that success.

I think i see what you're trying to say, but i would not compare it to DLC and online activation because you have the option to buy phyiscal PSP games. The physical PSP games wont go away, you can play them in 20 years if you like, no problem. Here you have a choice, to buy physical games or digitial download games, this is not the case with games with heavy DRM.

To avoid paying twice, the only way to avoid this is by including a voucher with the game etc. to begine with. Since this wasnt done with the PSP games, it is not something that can be retrofitted. All PSP games are identical as far as i know, so there isnt a system that can allows a copy of a game to be registered one time only. I guess maybe your thinking more in general about this, but i just wanted to point out that such a system cant be retrofitted to work on PSP games.

Regarding Vita being backward compatible, i actually think this is somewhat debateable. I mean, the PS Vita can play PSP games indeed, so i wont argue much against it, but it is basically just a PSP emulator. Is the Wii concidered as being backward compatible with the NES, SNES and N64? Personally i would not concider that as backward compability. And are people angry on Nintendo for not releasing a NES, SNES and N64 addon for the Wii that lets you play the physical games? Because here you also have to rebuy the old retrogames. Now, one can argue that these games are old, so it make sense, and that is true. But i still think that the principle is somewhat the same, that the console supports old games, but only through digital download.

Regarding DivX, i remember well when it came out, but this is more of a discussion about Digital Distribution VS Physical Media. That is another discussion, it doesnt have much to do with lack of backward compabilitly in my opinion. But about this other discussion, there i support physical media the most because i like to collect games :)

I suppose it is fair to rebuy the retro games on Wii in my mind because they are a generation removed or more. Though it is similar to Vita in a way in that new hardware would be required to have a peripheral allow for BC. However UMD's are still the current generation of Sony portable software (in the US, for two more weeks), since the failure of PSP Go. I think a peripheral for UMDs would have been the best solution. Certainly in Japan.

Sony has lost a lot of the trust associated with their brand. They have removed backwards compatibility from PS3, but are now trying to double-dip selling digital downloads of PS2 games on PS3. Look at this tactic. You have the PS2 game on disk, but inserting it into the PS3 is useless, even though the PS3 has the hardware to read the disk. But you can play the title if you are willing to pay for it, again.

This behavior is deplorable. My problem is not that there may have been issues technically or with vulnerability to piracy that prevented Sony from developing a peripheral like the one in my article. My problem is that the philosophy at Sony, as evidenced by the PS2 game double-dip mentioned above, is such that something so fair and equitable to their loyal mobile customers was probably never even considered.

Takao

Banned
Imbarkus, how many UMDs do you actually own?

I own about 60 UMD based games, and I'm not angry that I won't be playing those on Vita.

no_to_co

Has anybody heard if Little Deviants in the FEB is a cartridge or a download code? I assumed it is physical so that i can trade it in later, but a comment on the Playstation Blog referencing the recent IGN podcast made it sound like it is a DL code.

Has anybody heard if Little Deviants in the FEB is a cartridge or a download code? I assumed it is physical so that i can trade it in later, but a comment on the Playstation Blog referencing the recent IGN podcast made it sound like it it a DL code.

The box art for the FEB confirms it is a cartridge (card) in retail packaging.

LiquidMetal14

I own about 60 UMD based games, and I'm not angry that I won't be playing those on Vita.

I own 20 (most of them are in storage) and don't care at this time. I'm more interested in buying games off PSN that I don't own at this point.

GQman2121

Banned
I wish I had the privilege of being double dipped raped for some digital PSP games. The amount of content - never mind the prices ($20 each for the GTA stories games and Chinatown Wars makes no sense when compared to the iOS game) - is pathetic.

I don't understand why there aren't more games listed. Especially since the PSPGo was a digital only system; Sony should be better prepared.

LiquidMetal14

I wish I had the privilege of being double dipped raped for some digital PSP games. The amount of content - never mind the prices ($20 each for the GTA stories games and Chinatown Wars makes no sense when compared to the iOS game) - is pathetic.

I don't understand why there aren't more games listed. Especially since the PSPGo was a digital only system; Sony should be better prepared.

I don't necessarily think it's just them. The publishers themselves alongside the MSRP's and pricing on the physical media has to play some factor in the overall pricing scheme.

Has anybody heard if Little Deviants in the FEB is a cartridge or a download code? I assumed it is physical so that i can trade it in later, but a comment on the Playstation Blog referencing the recent IGN podcast made it sound like it is a DL code.

The latest Playstation Blogcast confirmed that it is a card instead of a code.

GQman2121

Banned
I don't necessarily think it's just them. The publishers themselves alongside the MSRP's and pricing on the physical media has to play some factor in the overall pricing scheme.
I should have added publishers after Sony there, because you're right, its not all on Sony.

I mean, isn't some money better than no money?

I wish they'd put up Lumines on the Best Buy website. I've got $20 in RZ certs and a $10 digital coupon from the mass cancellations over Christmas. The coupons expire on Feb 18, so I might as well just get Lumines instead of waiting for an eventual(?) price drop.

LiquidMetal14

The more I think about it (and the amount I'm getting back for taxes), I may just jump on the first edition bundle. I could always sell Little Deviants too.

Purexed

Banned
Yes, this is a repost from the other thread )

I've been working hard on some theme ideas for launch. Got one for some early adopters to try out -- If anyone remembers the "CELL" PS3 theme I whipped up a few years back, this is along the same lines (Calling it "ARC") I'm still working out the kinks re: compression and banding once the wallpaper is assigned.

Again, this setup is for multi-screen organization, though the 6 circles serve as an icon placement suggestion :). One possibility would be to place a screen or artwork from a game of choice in the center. Again, consider this a bit of an early template of sorts.

Startscreen:

6793660953_cfb98d7ec2_b.jpg

UI backdrop:

6793661181_141df8cffe_b.jpg

I cross my fingers in the hopes an icon-level editing toolkit (or even hack) is eventually released. Really, you guys have NO idea . . . :)

Suggest using a different color other than black. Looks very pixelated and jaggy on the OLED screen, and the PS Vita text is super tiny. Also on the app pages, the circles should be a little bigger. The icons float around and go outside the circle lines you've mocked up. You'll see once you get a chance to observe the UI behavior.

Looking forward to your creations though!! :D

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I see myself dumping Little Deviants after the first week.
It's not the most replayable game ever, but you'll probably be coming back to it after a while when wanting something short and undemanding (although getting gold is hell of a hard task usually). Also it's good for showing people Vita features or something for a non-gamer/casual-gamer GF to kill time with.

Mrbob

I really hope SCEA has some sales on PSP games before launch. Like a big PSP sale. Don't own a PSP, and there are quite a few games I want to play on Vita. I'll probably start with the Ys games. There is Ys Seven, Ys I and II, and Ys Oath in Felgana. Should I start Ys 7?

How much do you think the TiV will be for it? $6 after everyone else does the same?

Yeah, I'm going to keep an eye on it. If it's over 8 for a short time I'll try to put it towards a trade deal. It's a pack-in game for a limited bundle so there still might be a decent trade value for it in the first month.

Eusis

Should I start Ys 7?
It doesn't really matter which you start with, there's a continuity but aside from I & II (and to a lesser degree maybe IV) each of them is mostly stand alone. Ys Seven WAS the first of those released in the US though, so it's perfectly safe.

e_i

My local GS got a Vita in. I played with it. Awesome. Very awesome. It's very light and the screen....THE SCREEN is fapilicous. Can't wait to watch anime on it. I played Uncharted, Wipeout and Gravity Rush on it. CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!

Kuran

Banned
like the one in my article. My problem is that the philosophy at Sony, as evidenced by the PS2 game double-dip mentioned above, is such that something so fair and equitable to their loyal mobile customers was probably never even considered.

It just seems to me like you want to try and get people riled up and pimp your damn article.

It's really not such a big deal. Sony didn't take your PSP out of your hands.

I'm not upset that I lost my Wiiware and VC games the moment I sold my Wii, it's a choice I made.

My local GS got a Vita in. I played with it. Awesome. Very awesome. It's very light and the screen....THE SCREEN is fapilicous. Can't wait to watch anime on it. I played Uncharted, Wipeout and Gravity Rush on it. CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!

Tell me more about Gravity Rush!

LiquidMetal14

I really hope SCEA has some sales on PSP games before launch. Like a big PSP sale. Don't own a PSP, and there are quite a few games I want to play on Vita. I'll probably start with the Ys games. There is Ys Seven, Ys I and II, and Ys Oath in Felgana. Should I start Ys 7?

I would start with the beginning of the saga and that's Ys I&II. It may not introduce the series with the same bang as Oath (for example) but you will start right from the beginning. Unless you have access to Origins on PC. You should also get Legend of Heroes- Trails in the Sky.

I own 287 UMD games, and I'm not angry that I won't be playing those on Vita, either... But I'm old school - I never expected my NES carts to work in my SNES, or my Master System carts to work in my Genesis. I can understand why a company releasing a new console might think of BC as an advantage - a bullet point with which to woo some fence-sitting potential early adopters - but I accept that BC is a nice to have, and there's no moral obligation on the part of the system designer to provide it. Sony is trying to distance itself from the UMD - there's a reason the Vita is NOT called the PS2P or PSP2 or whatever - and they'll upset a few people but that's just the way it is...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Since I already bought Phantasy Star Portable 2 back on my Go, I should be able to re-download that onto my Vita when I get one, right?

Also, is there a Friend's List/social group system in place (a la Swap Note or something similar)? It'd be really cool to have groups of people to play games with and chat back and forth with (especially since it sounds like GAF is getting heated up with Vita <3).

Eusis

I would start with the beginning of the saga and that's Ys I&II. It may not introduce the series with the same bang as Oath (for example) but you will start right from the beginning. Unless you have access to Origins on PC. You should also get Legend of Heroes- Trails in the Sky.
Actually, if this person didn't already get them all then price MAY be a factor here. Seven and Oath are $15, but Ys I & II are still $25. Even though the last one IS technically two games bundled together, they're late 80s games and it shows in design and length, even after being remade. It may be cheaper and more friendly to just start with Seven and work backwards, it's A reason why they came out the door with Seven.

Since I already bought Phantasy Star Portable 2 back on my Go, I should be able to re-download that onto my Vita when I get one, right?
Unfortunately it sounds like that's one of those games that didn't make the Vita jump for whatever reason. Unless things are different in America despite the game being pulled from the store I wouldn't count on it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Unfortunately it sounds like that's one of those games that didn't make the Vita jump for whatever reason. Unless things are different in America despite the game being pulled from the store I wouldn't count on it.
I've sent a mail to Sega.jp customer support and got an answer saying that the problem is on Sony's side and they're looking into it. Since Criminal Girls was re-enabled after a FW update, I hope it will be the same with PSPs.

Pachimari

I'm trying to find which games for the PS Vita games I'm a little bit interested in:

Escape Plan*
Little Deviants
Uncharted: Golden Abyss (I'm honestly tired of Uncharted, total fatigue)
WipEout 2048
Gravity Rush*
FIFA Soccer
Lumines Electronic Syphony
Silent Hill: Book of Memories

And then Persona 4.

* Are those I really want.

Maybe it's enough to varant a buy.

Compared to the rest of the PSP PSN catalogue the Ys games are priced phenomonally. Square Enix is also pretty decent about updating prices compared to other publishers, Sony included. I'm probably going to pick up Ys VII and FFT: War of the Lions for PSV launch.

I want Tekken 6 and it's $40. I'm pretty sure you can get the freaking PS3 version for like $10 anywhere. The PSP version is $20 on Amazon. What is Namco's problem?

Massa

Why would they do that? Right now the PSP is outselling it by a huge margin in Japan! Would that still be the case if Japanese gamers could play their Monster Hunter on Vita?

Hum, yes.

And someone buying a PSP or Vita right now would also have to buy Monter Hunter, which is available on both. The difference is that the PSP is much cheaper and will continue to sell fine, just like it took until 2008 for the PS3 and Xbox 360 to outsell the PS2.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Ugh, I really hope it's fixed. PSP2 is one of the best portable games I've ever played, and the multiplayer aspect was just incredible. :|

Eusis

Hum, yes.

And someone buying a PSP or Vita right now would also have to buy Monter Hunter, which is available on both. The difference is that the PSP is much cheaper and will continue to sell fine, just like it took until 2008 for the PS3 and Xbox 360 to outsell the PS2.
Game support was also better for the PS2 until then though. You still got some of the multiplatform titles hitting that, albeit compromised, and stuff whose core concept can work fine there still like Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Then there's the niche game support, but that's the one area the PSP is matching the PS2 so far, though even then it's not quite as nice as the PS2 had.
Ugh, I really hope it's fixed. PSP2 is one of the best portable games I've ever played, and the multiplayer aspect was just incredible. :|
If so I hope it gets relisted, I'd like to finally give it a shot (really enjoyed Phantasy Star Universe... for about a week or two anyway, but returning to that gameplay with the right analog being usable for camera would be nice.)

BFIB

So far I only have Hot Shots for the launch. I'm trying to figure out what other games I want. I'm going to hold off on Uncharted, as a previous poster said, I'm experiencing Uncharted fatigue.

I know I'm getting MLB 12 for sure, but I'm wanting something else to help tide me over. I was hoping PSN would have a good deal for God of War: Ghost of Sparta, but I haven't seen anything yet.

I was thinking of FIFA. I haven't played a FIFA game since FIFA 98 for the N64, but I've heard some good things about it. How hard is the learning curve? Obviously, a lot of improvements were made, and the videos look outstanding.

test_account

XP-39C²
I suppose it is fair to rebuy the retro games on Wii in my mind because they are a generation removed or more. Though it is similar to Vita in a way in that new hardware would be required to have a peripheral allow for BC. However UMD's are still the current generation of Sony portable software (in the US, for two more weeks), since the failure of PSP Go. I think a peripheral for UMDs would have been the best solution. Certainly in Japan.
I agree that a UMD addon could have been a nice thing (eventhough that i personally have no use for it). But i dont think that backward compability is something that should be taken for granted and something that should be demanded.

Backward compability to me is pure luxury. Maybe i can be dissapointed if one system doesnt have BC, and it is more than fair enough to be dissapointed about this, but i dont agree with the "we have to fight for our consumer's rights" if BC isnt included (at least this is the vibe i'm getting from your complaining about this, but please correct me if i'm wrong).

Sony has lost a lot of the trust associated with their brand. They have removed backwards compatibility from PS3, but are now trying to double-dip selling digital downloads of PS2 games on PS3. Look at this tactic. You have the PS2 game on disk, but inserting it into the PS3 is useless, even though the PS3 has the hardware to read the disk. But you can play the title if you are willing to pay for it, again.

This behavior is deplorable. My problem is not that there may have been issues technically or with vulnerability to piracy that prevented Sony from developing a peripheral like the one in my article. My problem is that the philosophy at Sony, as evidenced by the PS2 game double-dip mentioned above, is such that something so fair and equitable to their loyal mobile customers was probably never even considered.
Are you sure about that the PS3 have the ability to read and play PS2 games? If yes, can you please give me some techincal source to this, i want to read up on it.

Yes, this solution can lead to double dipping, but that is an option you have and a choice you make yourself. If you dont want to double dip, then simply dont do it. The PS2 games are also for first time players. I'm planing on buying the upcoming Killzone 1 PSN release because i never got around to play it on my PS2. It is also not double dipping on the PSP if people originally bought the digital download version. So i wont say that this solution is made mainly in "tricking" people to double dip, if that is what you mean?

I'm honestly trying to see what the complain is about. I fully understand that you want to have BC, and that is fair enough of course, but why do you write it like Sony is some evil company because they dont provide you with a luxury solution? (at least that is how i read it, but please correct me if i'm wrong).

Providing a BC solution cost money to develope, especially when we talk about an external solution, so why do you think that your entitled to such a solution? Keep in mind that all of the games that the PSP games you bought works on the hardware that it was intended for, so you're not losing anything in this situation. I'm not trying to sound rude here on anything like that, but i'm just wondering why you think that your entitled to a BC solution. And why is BC so important besides the "it is nice to have" factor?

Kerub

Banned
So far I only have Hot Shots for the launch. I'm trying to figure out what other games I want. I'm going to hold off on Uncharted, as a previous poster said, I'm experiencing Uncharted fatigue.

I know I'm getting MLB 12 for sure, but I'm wanting something else to help tide me over. I was hoping PSN would have a good deal for God of War: Ghost of Sparta, but I haven't seen anything yet.

I was thinking of FIFA. I haven't played a FIFA game since FIFA 98 for the N64, but I've heard some good things about it. How hard is the learning curve? Obviously, a lot of improvements were made, and the videos look outstanding.

Wipeout.

WIPEOUT!

I just now gave in and bought myself a EU WiFi pre-order box with the blue earphones, can't wait for the 22 February! :D
I originally planned to buy Gravity Daze/Rush as my launch game but since the release seems to be postponed I now can't decide between Wipeout, Hot Shots Golf or FIFA. It will be either of these along with a 4GB Memory Card, I know it's not much but that's all I can spend on gaming right now.

And just a info for everyone since I didn't see it posted before: I don't know if it applies for all of Europe but in Germany GameStop charges more for pre-orders than other retailers.
Normally the pre-order box would be 30&#8364; but GameStop demands 55&#8364;, 30&#8364; for the box and 25&#8364; payment for the system itself. Apologizes if it was mentioned before.

Captain N

If you go in stores you can pre-order the digital titles at Gamestop.

Hustle Kings | $9.99

Super StarDust Delta | $9.99

Escape Plan | $14.99

shinjijai

did anybody order the first edition bundle from Amazon.ca? It's showing the shipping date of the 20th for me... which makes the first edition kinda point less...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom