• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita US Launch Details (Launch Games, Accessory Pricing)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have mine preordered but haven't bought any games yet. I would love for Sony to have a sale on some PSP games on PSN so I could pick some up. I never did play Valkyria Chronicles 2 and would love to play it.

Yeah, I was looking, making a list of PSP games I wanted to get for my Vita.

Valkyria Chronicles II, still, unfortunately costs $39.99 :(

Tactics Ogre is only $19.99 though...

What do you think the odds are of a B2G1F deal anywhere launch week?

Or, any odds on Amazon offering credit for preorders? Or any other deals?

Odds of a sale are high I think. It's one reason I haven't preordered most games. I'm totally banking on a sale.

Yuripaw

Banned
We set up the demo station at my work today, and I got to try out a couple of the demos before I left. I gotta say, my hype for the Vita skyrocketed when I actually held that thing in my hands. It really is awesome, the buttons, the analog sticks all feel great. The screen is so huge and sharp, I was afraid I'd cut myself on it. Holding it in my hands was like holding a candy bar, it was so sweet!

Stardust at $10 is a surprise? Super Stardust HD launched on the PS3 for $10 -- anything more than that would be ridiculous unless this version is stuffed to the brim with content.

Well, there were like 2 DLC content. I don't know the price of the PSP version, but probably was way more expensive... still, I'm glad that is still 10$.

Yeah, I was looking, making a list of PSP games I wanted to get for my Vita.

Valkyria Chronicles II, still, unfortunately costs $39.99 :(

Tactics Ogre is only $19.99 though...

It was on sale around Christmas of 2010. That's when I downloaded it for $19.99 or less.

And 10% off retail prices is good enough for me. All of multiplayer games will be downloaded. Lumines & Hot Shots, can't wait!

W1SSY

It was on sale with all of the DLC for like $14 not too long ago. I'm pretty sure it was $20-something not too long ago, too. I'd keep an eye out.

I saw someone post that they got it in a bundle and was hoping it was still on sale but sadly it was not. I would love to pick up some PSP games that I missed out on but if they are still at retail prices I will probably pass.

C-Jo

I saw someone post that they got it in a bundle and was hoping it was still on sale but sadly it was not. I would love to pick up some PSP games that I missed out on but if they are still at retail prices I will probably pass.
Yeah, it's kind of a crap shoot. I was looking a few nights ago and while some things are cheaper digitally, a whole bunch of games are still at full price.

I'm definitely hoping for some sales around Vita launch. I have a bunch of retail games that I haven't gotten around to playing, and I would consider buying them off PSN if the price was right.

It's a shitty situation, really. I don't think I'm alone in that I would totally be willing to pay for certain games a second time, we just need a little bit of incentive to do so. If I could fill my Vita and its 32GB memory card full of PSP classics at $10 a pop, that would be great. As it is, they'll likely get nothing from me.

Takao

Banned
It was on sale around Christmas of 2010. That's when I downloaded it for $19.99 or less.

And 10% off retail prices is good enough for me. All of multiplayer games will be downloaded. Lumines & Hot Shots, can't wait!

No, there was a $15 sale a lot more recent than that. I want to say September or October of last year.

No, there was a $15 sale a lot more recent than that. I want to say September or October of last year.

Oh I'm sure there was, I was just stating the specific sale when I bought it. Strange how there wasn't another large PSP sale this Christmas. Hopefully SCEA will give us one later on this month.

theBishop

Banned
I guess I can't help but pimp my article, because I tried to anticipate this concern too. In my alternate reality the slim PS3 was just called the PS3, and since it required software emulation of old titles, required the purchase of em-packs to support that emulation. But Sony, in their wisdom, released the slim PS3 at $299, and continued to offer the fat model, renamed PS3+ for $499 with the Emotion Engine and PS2 GPU still on board, for those consumers (such as myself) who would pay a premium for 100% backwards compatibility (and the additional USB and Memory Stick ports).

Yep, even Krazy Ken mentioned the possibility of a pro-AV grade PS3 that fits in a home theater shelf unit. The problem is with all game hardware, the goal is to streamline the manufacturing as much as possible. The big benefit to keeping PS2 hardware onboard is that Sony and 3rd parties could sell their whole back PS2 catalog on PSN. It's not as attractive if only the early adopters and Pro-AV people can buy them.

Wazzim

Banned
Search is off so I can't find the Euro thread but this is a Dutch unboxing of the actual European version: Unboxing PS Vita

European version of Uncharted seems to be 3300mb instead of 2700mb. Probably because of the extra languages besides Japanese and English.

test_account

XP-39C²
In my alternate reality, I imagine a new PSN product for slim PS3's called em-packs, that were custom-tweaked emulator instruction sets available from $1-$3 (depending on whether or not they supported only a single title or a groups of titles). This would be a fair charge, to my mind, since I'm not trying to ignore that tweaking an emulator or adding additional instructions to an emulator to play certain titles is not a chunk of work that can and should be paid for.
Maybe this could work yeah. I'm not quite sure which selling angle they would use though, since i guess if they just sold "the ability to play some PS2 games", then i could see many people complaining about it and saying that it should be free. But it would be optional to buy of course, so no problem about that. But i have no idea how the PS2 emulator works on the PS3, so unfortunately i cant say too much about what is possible or not possible.

And i forgot to say earlier, as other already mentioned, i would also like to say that external UMD mockup looks pretty nicely made :) And you're also right that even if it covers the back touchpanel, this isnt used when playing PSP games, so that shouldnt be a big issue.

darksunpr

Just finish paying for a First edition bundle and Fifa but Im considering getting Marvel vs capcom 3 digital and maybe Uncharted at Walmart because I have a gift card there.
HYPE!

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
And i forgot to say earlier, as other already mentioned, i would also like to say that external UMD mockup looks pretty nicely made :) And you're also right that even if it covers the back touchpanel, this isnt used when playing PSP games, so that shouldnt be a big issue.

Hey thank you. I spent a full Saturday on it, sitting around with an awful head cold, so I'm glad it looks good.

Wazzim

Banned
what are they saying?!!!!
thanks for sharing.

They said that the handheld felt really good because of the size, no cramp in your hands. The weight felt good too and it's seems to be made of sturdy material.
They also asked Sony if there will be a Steam like system where you buy retail games with codes that let you download the digital version too; the answer was 'that they didn't know' (lol).
The rest was some random talk, they should have more in depth videos up this week.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Went to Gamestop today and messed around with a Vita for about an hour.

Wipeout - Fun but dear god the loading times are unbelievably horrendous. I don't think I'm buying this one.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Might literally have been the most pointless demo I've ever played. It looked fine for the most part although it was pretty damn ugly in a few parts. Still probably getting this day 1.

Virtua Tennis 4 - The best looking game on the Vita that I played today. Not buying this because I'm not a tennis fan but if you are this one looks really damn good.

FIFA - Will buy this one. Not a fan of the touch controls, maybe I will like them more with time but thankfully they're optional. Game is gorgeous and it feels smoother than it does on the PS3.

Hot Shots Golf - Not the prettiest game but its HSG and I like it.

Gravity Rush - Yeah. God damn. Easily the best demo of the bunch and this is going to be a day 1 buy. So good.

General thoughts on the handheld. The screen is huge and its gorgeous. The sticks are fine but I really love the D-Pad. The buttons are pretty small but they have a good feel to them.

Biggest gripe, the rest pads on the back of the Vita really aren't big enough or thick enough, they don't really do it for me. My fingers are sprawling onto the back of the thing which is a disaster when playing certain games like FIFA. I'm either going to have to buy some kind of grips or a skin for the unit or learn to adapt.

Mrbob

32GB will go faster than you think, even without buying retail games. With Amazon selling Wipeout and HSG for $29.99, paying more on PSN is laughable.

My purchasing plans shifting again. Probably go retail for most retail games, since I have the ability to sell them back and the prices might be cheaper. I'll keep the 32GB card for PSN only titles and PSP games.

I know there was some concern about Best Buy honoring pre order prices, so thankfully my $39.99 Uncharted price is still locked in even though the game is now $49.99 on the website.

Yuripaw

Banned
I was a little surprised at this as well. The videos I've seen looked good but in person it was the least attractive demo of the bunch.

Still buying it day one though.

Yeah, it was probably the least technically impressive, but it was still a big step up from the Open Tee titles. The resolution and textures probably hurt it the most, but the hot shots golf games are still the most fun golf games ive ever played. Ive always enjoyed the art and character designs too(at least in the japanese versions, and ones that werent butchered for american release). And they are still just as good here.

GQman2121

Banned
Hey thank you. I spent a full Saturday on it, sitting around with an awful head cold, so I'm glad it looks good.
Imbarkus, the biggest problem (imo) isn't having to re-buy games you already own on UMD; its that a sizable portion of those UMD games probably are not available digitally on PSN. If they can up the number of titles this is a non-issue.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I haven't bought from Amazon in ages but I pre-ordered Wipeout and HSG just now. They don't need the funds on my card right now right? And if I want to change or edit the payment method like change it to a gift card, I can do that no?

I was going one way or another but I ended up with both as long as that price sticks. And I get what seems to be release day shipping on both for a total of 61 and change.

Captain N

I haven't bought from Amazon in ages but I pre-ordered Wipeout and HSG just now. They don't need the funds on my card right now right? And if I want to change or edit the payment method like change it to a gift card, I can do that no?

I was going one way or another but I ended up with both as long as that price sticks. And I get what seems to be release day shipping on both for a total of 61 and change.

yeah, go to your order and enter in the gift card number if you wanna use a gift card.

Flunkie

Banned
They're kept separate. Would be nice if they could combine them somehow but I'd imagine too many people would abuse the system somehow.

Yeah, pretty abusable, that's true. I don't know if I should order HSG and wipEout now or wait. and just buy them dd.

LiquidMetal14

Yep. You basically have until it ships to change anything you want.

Good to know. THanks to both for answering the questions.

Looks like that just leaves the 1st edition bundle, 32gb stick, and Rayman to pre-order alongside tons of PSN funds.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Imbarkus, the biggest problem (imo) isn't having to re-buy games you already own on UMD; its that a sizable portion of those UMD games probably are not available digitally on PSN. If they can up the number of titles this is a non-issue.

I guess we'll have to see how this UMD to PSN rights-transfer service-thingy is handled, and, more significantly, priced. If it even materializes at all (which it didn't for PSP Go).

So far I think they are just completely blowing smoke that there is any way to uniquely identify one UMD from another, and that is why I think the price to add the PSN version of a UMD PSP game is so high (and up to the publisher): they anticipate people gaming the system by passing UMD's around and getting the PSN versions of the games tagged to their accounts.

There's just no avoiding that I'm a bit skeptical and untrusting of moving to digital distribution completely. This comes from being a collector, seeing games disappear from download services, be patched for content/editorial reasons without my consent... lots of reasons. Heck, I even made a thread about trying to get physical copies of games, or the DLC of games, that are download-only when they launch. It's not the boxes on the shelf that concerns me, its future access, and control of that access.

But, since they're not asking us to turn in the UMDs to get the PSN downloads, I'd be willing to pay some amount for that service. But not the various prices I see bandied about, and not for a super-limited selection of titles like we're seeing now.

I guess it's too bad they didn't think ahead and use the technology from DIVX, that failed format competing with DVD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX) to imprint a unique code on each UMD, because then I bet publishers would offer the service more willingly for a cheaper price. They'd be able to invalidate that UMD from being used again on another PSP to get another PSN copy of the game.

Double-dipping is only acceptable in one direction, you know. ;)

Toki767

So far I think they are just completely blowing smoke that there is any way to uniquely identify one UMD from another, and that is why I think the price to add the PSN version of a UMD PSP game is so high (and up to the publisher): they anticipate people gaming the system by passing UMD's around and getting the PSN versions of the games tagged to their accounts.

I believe 8-4 Play tested out the UMD to digital program on the PSP and it does indeed uniquely identify one UMD from another. So it does work the way they state it works.

I guess we'll have to see how this UMD to PSN rights-transfer service-thingy is handled, and, more significantly, priced. If it even materializes at all (which it didn't for PSP Go).

There's just no avoiding that I'm a bit skeptical and untrusting of moving to digital distribution completely. This comes from being a collector, seeing games disappear from download services, be patched for content/editorial reasons without my consent... lots of reasons. Heck, I even made a thread about trying to get physical copies of games, or the DLC of games, that are download-only when they launch. It's not the boxes on the shelf that concerns me, its future access, and control of that access.

But, since they're not asking us to turn in the UMDs to get the PSN downloads, I'd be willing to pay some amount for that service. But not the various prices I see bandied about, and not for a super-limited selection of titles like we're seeing now.

I guess it's too bad they didn't think ahead and use the technology from DIVX, that failed format competing with DVD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX) to imprint a unique code on each UMD, because then I bet publishers would offer the service more willingly for a cheaper price. They'd be able to invalidate that UMD from being used again on another PSP to get another PSN copy of the game.

Double-dipping is only acceptable in one direction, you know. ;)

Does it matter really ? I mean it's not like SCEA is going to do the UMD transfer program.

metalshade

Do we know if lord of apocalypse is going to be Europe localised and for sale here (UK)?
If it is then I think I want it, even though as a general rule I HATE Japanese games, this has sort of caught my fancy.
Edit: can anyone suggest similar vita or psp titles, but arent too Japanese?

LiquidMetal14

Changed my mind. I was ready to go with 1st edition but I would be stupid to pass up the free 8GB card, PSN game, and 250mb of data with the launch 3g bundle. I will stick with the regular 3g and just get a screen protector now.

TheGrue

Changed my mind. I was ready to go with 1st edition but I would be stupid to pass up the free 8GB card, PSN game, and 250mb of data with the launch 3g bundle. I will stick with the regular 3g and just get a screen protector now.

You still get the PSN game and 250MB of data with the 1st edition bundle.

Apath

Still the best PSN game to me after 5 years.
I mean, don't get me wrong -- it's a great game. I just think the standards set by the original would set a precedent. Especially when you consider the mobile market and bite sized games costing around a $1 each. I bought Geometry Wars for a dollar on my iPhone, and it's pretty much the exact same thing as Geometry Wars 2 on the 360 sans analogue stick, button control, and $10 price tag. It would be pretty obnoxious of Sony to go the opposite direction with SSDD and price it above the PS3 release. Unless it is packed with a ton more content that the PS3 version feels inferior in every way.

Went to Gamestop today and messed around with a Vita for about an hour.
Ugh, my Gamestop had it stuck behind a plastic case. Employee said they're not allowed to have it out yet for people to play.

melman101

If UMvC3 can get to $24.99 I'll grab it. I gonna get Wipeout 2048, and Hot Shots Golf. And I'm gonna rent Rayman Origins and Virtua Tennis 4 to start out with.

I need to get a 32GB memory card too. I hope they will have these in stock.

15 days we have left to go for First Edition Bundle. I for one can't wait.

Sony is finally starting to promote it. That is good news, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom