• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita western launch thread, p. 2 | Simply the most desirable handheld yet released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I got Ridge Racer for free as part of my pre-order, would never buy it.

3 tracks and cars spread over a few months is a joke.

It's a shame because the presentation and actual structure of the games career/team challenge is great, but going through the same tracks + reverse turns into a chore real quick.

hitmon

The flicking ones I can do (though I hate them). It's the motion ones. The aiming the gun, or riding the horse, or aiming to hit the ambushers in the time limit. Stuff like that I just can't do while laying down.

Yes the gun ones are the absolute worse. Its like the six-axis/gyro has a hard time registering during those.

Ken

I feel the Gundam Musou games aren't as good. When I play a Gundam game, I always feel like ranged should be more important/effective, but Gundam Musou games are still heavily melee focused.
The story isn't as good either. By putting all those Gundam universes together, it's fanfic level stuff and ignores character development in the series. The last one on the PS3 and 360, I didn't like how each area was like separated with hallway-things instead of being a wide open battlefield.

Though I felt DW7 was a great game.
But anyway...

The things they took out don't really make the game more complex. I really think they were omitted just because all the time/money went into the mini games. But at least this one has the character creation back in.

I spend too much money on games already, so I can't justify picking up BlazBlue for both. I really wish Aksys just released an LE for the Vita version as well.

I worry about everything, even though I shouldn't. I ended up with three PSPs partially because I was afraid I would break one. But they're all still working perfectly.

I wish mine would come in already. But I had to import it with my other stuff. So it's going to take like three weeks. I hope it is easy to put on because I only ordered one so if I mess up, that'll be another month wait. I really should have ordered two just in case, but I wasn't thinking.
Aw, I liked the Gundam DW games because I have a greater interest in that universe than I do in the Three Kingdoms stuff. Yeah, the stories are pointless so I wasnt expecting much going in. The focus on melee over range didn't bother me too much as well; it was fun either way and was kind of expected of a DW game (and God Gundam :x). IIRC, the PS2 games like Journey to Jaburo and Zeonic Front were focused on ranged weapons, with 0079 Side Story for the Dreamcast (the White Dingo stuff) even more so. Thinking about some of the series though, named pilots tend to be able to dodge most ranged weapons besides funnels and sabers anyways lol.

I really should go back and actually play my copy of DW7 some time.

EU's BB CSE Vita has a LE I believe, which is kind of lame for NA copies. :( Do you have a fight stick on the PS3? If so, I'd get it for that. I picked it up for the 360 since I had an arcade stick for it, but I also got it on Vita because I would probably stick to learning it if I had it everywhere I went, compared to what happened with me and CT, CS, and CSII; picked those up but never found the time to sit in front of my TV trying to learn the game.

I feel like the Japanese launch soured the initial period for Vita so badly that most people thought it would bomb hard in the West, but I don't see it so far. I definitely expected it to bomb and for Sony to cut the price by the end of June (creating a whole new range of, err, ambassadors in the process) but from the my impressions and the ground level hype about FIFA on Vita, I think it has more momentum than expected.

Reading the impressions here, and pretty much everywhere (overwhelmingly positive, way better than I expected), make me wonder just what went wrong in Japan and how/if Sony can remedy the situation there.

IMO what went wrong in Japan are:

- Lack of JP centric games. I (as well as Yoshida) feel like the launch line up didn't have many games that really catered to the JP audience
- Loss of big 3rd party exclusives (going exclusive to the competition on top of that)
- Perceived high price for the system
- No system sellers out or announced (the biggest game coming out is a 10 year old port that will also be on PS3)
- Looking at the upcoming line up, it looks very bare. The upcoming line ups only show 2 noteworthy games (for the JP market), Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2012 (03/29) and Persona 4: Golden (06/14)

The (feasible) ways to try to remedy that are:
- Get PSP and PS1 games compatible ASAP
- Get PS2, PS2 HD, and PSN games compatible. More Hustle Kings and Top Darts type of deal (buy once get on both), less PvZ type of deal
- Do bundles with the few JP centric games they have there like HSG
- If they can get some 3rd party JP centric games, get them now and announce them now. Right now there's nothing announced and I can't remember when a game was last announced.
- Get SCEJ to actually develop some big games for the JP gamers. It's really embarrassing that a publisher as big as Sony only developed games like LocoRocco and Patapon (good games, but hard to argue that they aren't niche).
- Have PD develop GT5 Mobile coming out this year with cross play (carry your game over, continue your career, etc) as well as vita exclusive features (near trading cars?)
- I don't think it's feasible to expect a price drop anytime soon. The mega bomba PSP Go didn't get one until a year after launch. Sony will stick it out
- Likewise, I don't think it's feasible to expect Sony to buy out a big publisher or pay for exclusivity on a big name 3rd party game like MH or DQ.

Will be interesting to see what Sony will try to do there....

There's also the question on if Sony can keep this momentum going in the west and, if the sales are good in the first month, can they keep it going for subsequent months? But that's a whole other subject.

Yikes. Well Lumines seems to have piqued my interest when I saw the official soundtrack and decided to watch some videos. Is it a pretty easy game to get into?

EDIT: Oh demo. :D

leng jai

So is the core game of Ridge Racer any good? I know the amount of content is horrific but I really want an arcade racer for the VITA.

I received my Hori Screen protector and I need to echo the same feelings others have had...it is pretty damn good. The Sony ones that I had were good, but you could tell it was on the system because you could see the border of the screen protector. The Hori one covers the entire front face with exception of the edges near that speakers and the small ara near the left/right edges. The physical screen is covered by the screen protector entirely.

Really impressed thus far with it.

does the Hori screen protector reduce the responsiveness of the touchscreen in any way? i was under the impression that putting any kind of film over the screen would make it less sensitive and duller, thus impacting how games might respond to touch....

frequency

Aw, I liked the Gundam DW games because I have a greater interest in that universe than I do in the Three Kingdoms stuff. Yeah, the stories are pointless so I wasnt expecting much going in. The focus on melee over range didn't bother me too much as well; it was fun either way. Thinking about some of the series though, named pilots tend to be able to dodge most ranged weapons besides funnels and sabers lol.

EU's BB CSE Vita has a LE I believe, which is kind of lame for NA copies. :( Do you have a fight stick on the PS3? If so, I'd get it for that. I picked it up for the 360 since I had an arcade stick for it, but I also got it on Vita because I would probably stick to learning it if I had it everywhere I went, compared to what happened with me and CT, CS, and CSII; picked those up but never found the time to sit in front of my TV trying to learn the game.

I like the Gundam Musou games too (I like all Musou actually). I just prefer the DW games.
I guess the big fights in Gundam actually do just come down to melee anyway...
But I always fantasize about just being a regular pilot. I prefer to use the basic suits because of that instead of the actual Gundams. But I'm weird.

I don't have a fight stick. I'm not really a fighting game fan outside of single player stuff. So really it's just Soul Calibur, BlazBlue, and a bit of Tekken for me. So buying a fight stick was never worth it for me.

That's one other reason I kind of want it on the Vita. People won't be using fight sticks so I think that would mean I won't be playing against fighting game pros if I ever decided to do multiplayer (though I probably wouldn't anyway).

Maybe I should import the EU Vita LE if I can find it for a reasonable price somewhere. Region free consoles are so great.

Ken

I like the Gundam Musou games too. I just prefer the DW games.
I guess the big fights actually do just come down to melee anyway...
But I always fantasize about just being a regular pilot. I prefer to use the basic suits because of that instead of the actual Gundams. But I'm weird.

I don't have a fight stick. I'm not really a fighting game fan outside of single player stuff. So really it's just Soul Calibur, BlazBlue, and a bit of Tekken for me. So buying a fight stick was never worth it for me.

That's one other reason I kind of want it on the Vita. People won't be using fight sticks so I think that would mean I won't be playing against fighting game pros if I ever decided to do multiplayer (though I probably wouldn't anyway).

Maybe I should import the EU Vita LE if I can find it for a reasonable price somewhere. Region free consoles are so great.
Being a regular pilot doesn't seem that bad, especially with grunt units like the Slaughter Daggers from STARGAZER or FLAGs/OverFLAGs/GN-Xs from 00. When I was younger I wanted to have my own GM Custom from 0083... Going wildly off-topic here lol.

As for the fighting game pro thing, some pros use pad so you're not totally clear of playing pros online lol. :p

I didn't like the stuff Aksys put in the Extend LEs much, but that's probably because it looks quite paltry compared the Continuum Shift LE I imported for the petite Nendo of Noel. D:

Aside from Motorstorm, is there some cool looking PSN game coming soon?

I'm gonna guess that, unfortunately, much like most PSN and XBLA games... we won't hear much about smaller vita games until right before they launch. Like mutant blobs, for instance, I had no idea even existed until a month ago and it's possibly my favorite game of the launch.

You would think the playstation blog they would push these games more. I know the podcast is now atleast telling us whats coming a few days before hand... but surely they can do better than that. First party stuff like Motorstorm RC and Stardust had articles and whatnot. I wish more third parties did as well.

I hope this space expands more on the vita though. PSN/XBLA are my favorite 'additions' this gen and would love to see it expanded further with a much more versatile device like the vita.

Ken

if Uncharted:GA disconnects you from the network, how would the Black Market thingy work?
It probably reconnects you and disconnects you when you exit the black market.

That's what happens when you check the online leader board rankings in Gravity Daze.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Bought a Vita today along side an 8 gig card, Uncharted, Hot Shots and Rayman.

No sock? Cheap bastards.

JWong

Banned
intentional or not, its crap

The alternative is to lose more battery for something you're only going to look at when you're in that option.

Games like Uncharted and Gravity Daze, you're probably barely online. I can speak for Uncharted as in you're never online.

Ken

The alternative is to lose more battery for something you're only going to look at when you're in that option.

Games like Uncharted and Gravity Daze, you're probably barely online. I can speak for Uncharted as in you're never online.
You're never online for GD as well, unless you're checking the leader boards.

I still wouldn't mind something similar to the high performance/power saver modes laptops have on the Vita though. I like knowing when I get messages. :(

Toki767

You're never online for GD as well, unless you're checking the leader boards.

I still wouldn't mind something similar to the high performance/power saver modes laptops have on the Vita though. I like knowing when I get messages. :(

How do you know when you get messages anyways? I never seem to get notified of them unless I open up the Friends app.

Darko

Once I took all assists off on Wipeout 2048, reached the AGRC 2050 races, this game turned into something absolutely amazing.

Hope people don't give up on Wipeout like I did in the past, this game is a pure racer with brilliant mechanics.

Im about to... cause I suck so much at it. :(

Is using the PC to transfer PSP saves to the Vita the only way right now?

I read how to do it. It seems a little tedious especially since you can't use Media Go.

EDIT: Nevermind. Just read up on content manager.

Toki767

The same way you get notified of friend requests with a little notification at the top right?

I meant that more along the lines of it doesn't seem to update on its own. It's really hard to tell whether or not you're signed on to PSN sometimes.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
So is the core game of Ridge Racer any good? I know the amount of content is horrific but I really want an arcade racer for the VITA.

I think the core is great (We won't talk about content). Basically it works like this.

• Each player who starts the game for the first time chooses a team
  • Each time you win a race you get one VP (Victory Point). Victory Points are accumulated across all team members around the world and decides the position of each team.
  • With each race finished you win money, higher the position, higher the money
  • Money can be spent on an upgrade R&D tree for perks for your car. Increased speed when slip streaming, bonus Nitro on the last lap etc etc.

There is probably more to it than that but the actual instructions are pretty sparse when it comes to Career and VP.

As I said before, it is a shame about the lack of content (But it is cheap). I was under the impression we were getting the 3 bonus tracks with the Gold pass, not 3 tracks staggered over the next month or two. The actual campaign and presentation oozes quality. Really love the interface. Just wish we had that interactive title screen that was shown at E3.

Ken

I meant that more along the lines of it doesn't seem to update on its own. It's really hard to tell whether or not you're signed on to PSN sometimes.
I just received a notification for a new message while in UMvC3 so it does occur (couldn't take a screenshot since the game doesn't allow captures :( )

I have the group messaging app open if that matters.

Man, the FIFA demo has me DROOLING about sports games. I've never liked sports games on handhelds because they feel like really poor console replacements (oh hi 2 u fifa on 3ds!).

But FIFA on Vita is amazing. It's ridiculous how much it reminds me of FIFA 11. Being a huge fan of The Show, I can't wait to see what the team in San Diego has packed into MLB 12: The Show for Vita...

spats

Cool tip I just read on TheSixthAxis:

Quick mute. Hold the – and + volume buttons for a second and the Vita will mute. A rarely known tip and one that’s particularly useful – give it a try the next time you need to quickly dial down WipEout 2048.

Very useful.

customizing_my_PS_Vita_small.jpg

After posting the above a few pages back, my inbox got spammed with requests to do more. :p

So, here you go: I've created 4 additional wallpapers to use on your Vita, covering all main categories you might want:

• PSN / SEN games
• PSone games
• PSP games
• Unsorted apps

customizing_my_PS_Vita_part2.jpg

For anyone interested, I've uploaded the download-link with the 4 new wallpapers:
http://bit.ly/psvita_wallpapers

I caved in today and ordered a Wi-Fi unit ( 3G has really spotty connection over here anyway ), and count me in as one excited gamer. I used to own a 3DS, but sold it due to a catalogue of games that just didn't interest me that much in the end, but Vita seems to be an entirely different beast. I am already looking forward to buying the new Wipeout and Ninja Gaiden for it.

colui

Just bought a wi-fi Vita, is it normal that the colors of the screen change when looking at an angle? (it gets slightly 'blue-er')

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom