• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS VR2 mass production to start in second half of this year with 1.5M units, may launch in Q1 2023 according to Ming-Chi Kuo

ZoukGalaxy

I AM READY
Lets Go Reaction GIF by Leroy Patterson

mxbison

Surprised to see so many concerned about PC support.

It's a USB headset with standard tracking and standard controllers. It pretty much can't not work, regardless of what Sony does.

People even got the PSVR1 to work with all it's weird tech. This one will be no problem at all, Steam could even simply add support like they did with the Playstation controllers while Sony ignored it.

Reactions: GHG

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The best VR hardware ever?

You have to be insane in the brain to believe that. It will be a budget VR option because it has to be or it won't sell. There will be some crazy good games on it but ultimately Sony will abandon it never to produce another VR set again. People will talk warmly about it for years to come.

It will be the next Vita.

Shmunter

You have to be insane in the brain to believe that. It will be a budget VR option because it has to be or it won't sell. There will be some crazy good games on it but ultimately Sony will abandon it never to produce another VR set again. People will talk warmly about it for years to come.

Oh oh, someone hasn’t bother to look at the speeecccs.

Check it out, psvr2 is leapfrogging all other headsets. Doesn’t mean others won’t do the same in the future. - but psvr2 is the flagship at time of posting.

Also, this is not the next Vita, this is the next PSVR. Even if they are sharing the luxury of oled unlike all the other budget cutters out there.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Oh oh, someone hasn’t bother to look at the speeecccs.

I admit, I didn't even bother. I have no interest in VR. I don't think I ever own a device that was collecting more dust than my Oculus. But if what you said is true than it will be even more like Vita. Vita also offered some good tech at the time it was released.

:messenger_grinning_sweat:

consoul

Casuals don't care about big latency - as long as it is "good enough", that will suffice.
Latency matters more than ever in VR. Casuals do care about whether they feel motion sick in VR.

Wireless headsets are fine if you're making a standalone headset with the processors onboard. If the processing is happening outside the headset, having a cord is 100% the right choice to minimise latency and provide a good user experience.

People keep suggesting that PSVR2 having a cord is somehow a flaw or weakness. It's actually a strength.

Shmunter

I admit, I didn't even bother. I have no interest in VR. I don't think I ever own a device that was collecting more dust than my Oculus. But if what you said is true than it will be even more like Vita. Vita also offered some good tech at the time it was released.

Had 2 gens of oculus myself on pc. Got bogged down trying trash tier demos and configuring gfx settings endlessly instead of just getting on with the fun. Not till PSVR took all that off my plate did I truly give myself to it. Quest is the easiest, but the mobile tech is too casual for core gamers like me. Psvr2 will finally give me the next step I’m itching for. Maybe give it a go.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
People keep suggesting that PSVR2 having a cord is somehow a flaw or weakness. It's actually a strength.

I don't know if you every played in VR but calling being chained to a plastic box a strength is ludicrous. VR is all about immersion and freedom of movement.

There are two paths that VR can take in the future. Either a) they figure out a way to beam picture to headset with absolutely 0 latency or b) all processing will happen on the headset itself (like it already does). Cords are definitely not an option.

SLB1904

Banned
I don't know if you every played in VR but calling being chained to a plastic box a strength is ludicrous. VR is all about immersion and freedom of movement.

Most of people a confined in a room. I bet you haven't even use one. The best vr headsets are wired. Just because you are using an headset doesn't make you suddenly transport to a different world like ready player one lol.

Yes you are aware you are wearing a huge ass helmet. If you are worried about cable nail it to the ceiling.

Bunch of nonsense you read here

Edit:

Nevermind ignore my comment.
Wtf you even doing here?
Just being ignorant for the sake of it

Last edited:

drezz

Won’t sell more than 2.5M in its first year. Wired VR was a backwards move by Sony. Does not signal high intent for the market.
Will more then likely have a "Pro" variant with wireless and better controller/hand interation at a higher price then the first one.

This seems like a next step / upgrade from the PSVR2 controllers.
So this pluss wireless at a premium price seems very likely too me.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
What are the best headsets in the market?

Depends what's the best for you. If you after POWER, then obviously corded ones are "the best". If you're after freedom of movement, immersion and best experience then something like Meta Quest 2 would be considered "the best".

SLB1904

Banned
Depends what's the best for you. If you after POWER, then obviously corded ones are "the best".
And we are done. Meta has mobile graphics. Every game looks like shit on it. Yes you can play wireless but the latency doesn't help, which surprise surprise you end up using it wired lol

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
And we are done. Meta has mobile graphics. Every game looks like shit on it. Yes you can play wireless but the latency doesn't help, which surprise surprise you end up using it wired lol

Some of the best VR memories I have are with games that look like this. You don't need realistic graphics to be immersed in a game.

keep-talking-and-nobody-explodes-ps4-us-screen-04-13oct16.jpg

When you grow up one day, you too will understand. Print and bury. 😘

Dude, just quit. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

No you are wrong.The better the tech gets and the better the graphics of games get the better VR will be doing it’s all in correlation.Imagine photorealistic graphics and a game like Flight simulator or a documentary game like walking with dinosaurs where you are in the time period but really there and stand next to the real size of those Dino’s.Every casual will be over the dive from people who want to experience deep dive to flying war and what not.VR is like dreams only way to live in a different world but not actually being there.on PlayStation 8 the VR will be like real life graphics and physics and every human will want one.You can also use it to cure people for example people who are afraid of dogs or heights doctors can use it fireman can practice being there real life looking lots of possibilities the more real it gets the more people want to have it.Every one on this planet dreams of living their dreams or being in different worlds but like real life the closer we get there the more people will want to experience it.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
No you are wrong.The better the tech gets and the better the graphics of games get the better VR will be doing it’s all in correlation.Imagine photorealistic graphics and a game like Flight simulator or a documentary game like walking with dinosaurs where you are in the time period but really there and stand next to the real size of those Dino’s.Every casual will be over the dive from people who want to experience deep dive to flying war and what not.VR is like dreams only way to live in a different world but not actually being there.on PlayStation 8 the VR will be like real life graphics and physics and every human will want one.You can also use it to cure people for example people who are afraid of dogs or heights doctors can use it fireman can practice being there real life looking lots of possibilities the more real it gets the more people want to have it.Every one on this planet dreams of living their dreams or being in different worlds but like real life the closer we get there the more people will want to experience it.

All that is true for VR. Just not PSVR. Just look at Sony’s track record.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Wtf you talking about?
These are literally the second vr headset they are putting in the market and is not even out yet.
"Track record "

Track record of other devices. Handheld gaming, motion controller gaming, mobile phones. The list goes on.

All that is true for VR. Just not PSVR. Just look at Sony’s track record.
It’s their second Headset and it is amazing tech you must give them time.The first Headset was new for Sony and on weak hardware.This time it’s different they have amazing hardware and lots of new and great games will come , look at horizon looks amazing from the trailer already.The games will better and better.Keep your mind open after three years it will be cheaper to buy one and there will be lots of games.

ParaSeoul

Track record of other devices. Handheld gaming, motion controller gaming, mobile phones.
PSP was great and the first PSVR did well. Motion controls are a gimmick so good thing that flopped. And they're doing what they doing for their tvs in the mobile phone space,going as high end as possible but more niche. The Xperia 1 IV is basically only aimed at photographers and content creators.

hlm666

Surprised to see so many concerned about PC support.

It's a USB headset with standard tracking and standard controllers. It pretty much can't not work, regardless of what Sony does.

People even got the PSVR1 to work with all it's weird tech. This one will be no problem at all, Steam could even simply add support like they did with the Playstation controllers while Sony ignored it.
Not only that but it's valve who added and maintain support for oculus devices in steamvr not oculus so there's precedent there already.

SLB1904

Banned
Track record of other devices. Handheld gaming, motion controller gaming, mobile phones. The list goes on.
Lol

Yeah the ps1 2 3 4 and now 5
The best tech company that outsource their tech to the other mobile companies. The best mobile phone is Sony by a landscape (yes is expensive like hell)

What even on about?
Handhelds like what psp?

Is like judging Nintendo by using n64, game cube and wii u lol

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Is like judging Nintendo by using n64, game cube and wii u lol

No, it's not. You really don't get it, do you? N64, GameCube and Wii U are continuation of the same product line: video game consoles.

Sony has a trail of abandoned product lines. But hey, if "the best tech company" develops something amazing for VR, at least they can outsource it to 3rd party after they discontinue PSVR2 and shut down their VR product line.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
No, it's not. You really don't get it, do you? N64, GameCube and Wii U are continuation of the same product line: video game consoles.

Sony has a trail of abandoned product lines. But hey, if "the best tech company" develops something amazing for VR, at least they can outsource it to 3rd party after they discontinue PSVR2 and shut down their VR product line.
So Sony will abandon PS VR2? Okay, thank you for letting us know.

Now let us enjoy the prospects of a PS VR2 in the meantime. Some of us are PS VR users and are actually planning to buy PS VR2.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
So Sony will abandon PS VR2? Okay, thank you for letting us know.

Now let us enjoy the prospects of a PS VR2 in the meantime. Some of us are PS VR users and are actually planning to buy PS VR2.

Hey, if that Horizon game turns out decent I'll buy it too. :messenger_grinning_sweat: I loved Forbidden West.

I just know that these Sony twats will not commit to VR long term.

SLB1904

Banned

Vr supposed to have 20 games in its launch year. That's more than any of then 3rd party parties put out so far. 🤷

So really don't know what you talking about. Even the psvr library still unmatched.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Vr supposed to have 20 games in its launch year. That's more than any of then 3rd party parties put out so far. 🤷

So really don't know what you talking about. Even the psvr library still unmatched.

Vita also had an amazing support early in its life!

SLB1904

Banned
Vita also had an amazing support early in its life!
Why bring vita all the time? What vita got to do with psvr?
Psvr still getting support even this late in its life cycle.so what's your point?
Why don't you lower your head and admit you are wrong. Instead choosing to be an idiot?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Why bring vita all the time? What vita got to do with psvr?
Psvr still getting support even this late in its life cycle.so what's your point?
Why don't you lower your head and admit you are wrong. Instead choosing to be an idiot?

Oh, oh, oh. Personal insults are a no, no. Calm down and apologize now.

Let me paint a picture for you:

PSVR → PSP
PSVR2 → Vita

SLB1904

Banned
Oh, oh, oh. Personal insults are a no, no. Calm down and apologize now.

Let me paint a picture for you:

PSVR → PSP
PSVR2 → Vita
Just to be clear I don't think you are an idiot. But for sure you are acting like one just because you won't admit it you are wrong.
How in a fuck 2 different hardwares with 2 different types of audience be correlated at all?

Vr is different enough to develop for that will have dedicated developers making games for it. I'm talking about I general. Even if Sony stops making software there are a lot of of 3rd party making games exclusively to vr. It's not the same case with vita which pretty much everything was on ps4 and ps3. Really making redundant.
He'll Nintendo skipped the handheld only business as well by making hybrids.
Handheld have loads of competition right now when phones are more powerful and have loads of games.

Really makes no sense what are you saying.
It's idiotic at best

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Just to be clear I don't think you are an idiot. But for sure you are acting like one just because you won't admit it you are wrong.
How in a fuck 2 different hardwares with 2 different types of audience be correlated at all?

Vr is different enough to develop for that will have dedicated developers making games for it. I'm talking about I general. Even if Sony stops making software there are a lot of of 3rd party making games exclusively to vr. It's not the same case with vita which pretty much everything was on ps4 and ps3. Really making redundant.
He'll Nintendo skipped the handheld only business as well by making hybrids.
Handheld have loads of competition right now when phones are more powerful and have loads of games.

Really makes no sense what are you saying.
It's idiotic at best

You still failed to apologize. It's not my problem that you don't see a correlation. I have a good memory. I know how I've felt after buying into PSP Go, PlayStation Vita, Eye Toy bullshit or Move controllers for PS3. Thank God I didn't buy PlayStation TV. That would be too much.

Most likely I will buy PSVR2 because all my PS5 does is collecting dust so every reason to fire it up from time to time is welcomed.

chixdiggit

The best vr headsets are wired.

Latency matters more than ever in VR. Casuals do care about whether they feel motion sick in VR.

Wireless headsets are fine if you're making a standalone headset with the processors onboard. If the processing is happening outside the headset, having a cord is 100% the right choice to minimise latency and provide a good user experience.

The best headsets give you an option for wireless or wired. Why do you guys act like it has to be either or?
Having the option to play PCVR wireless or wired I choose wireless 99% of the time. I have played through many PCVR games wirelessly with little issue.

SLB1904

Banned
You still failed to apologize. It's not my problem that you don't see a correlation. I have a good memory. I know how I've felt after buying into PSP Go, PlayStation Vita, Eye Toy bullshit or Move controllers for PS3. Thank God I didn't buy PlayStation TV. That would be too much.

Most likely I will buy PSVR2 because all my PS5 does is collecting dust so every reason to fire it up from time to time is welcomed.
I apologise if you think I call an idiot. You clearly not. Bit your takes are definitely idiotics
Anyway
Move controllers you still use today. Even if you don't want u could sell for a good money.
All this failed hardware didn't pan out because they were unsuccessful. Simple as that. If a product isn't successful it will be discontinued. You can say the same for anything. Is like the vita was too hot and Sony decide to abandon.
If psvr fails then will drop it that's the reality.
You act like playstation is the only company that had failed hardware.
The best headsets give you an option for wireless or wired. Why do you guys act like it has to be either or?
Having the option to play PCVR wireless or wired I choose wireless 99% of the time. I have played through many PCVR games wirelessly with little issue.
The problem is you will not get the raw power for the best experience wireless. How is even a debate?
Compare the quest native games with the same games running on a dedicated hardware. And let's not talk about the battery. Unless there some quantum technology Tony stark type of technology you will have that cable plugged all the time.
Look at the psvr2 specs. There is no way you'll be able to run AAA vr games with at best an hour battery. In fact you not only will have the weight of the battery on your head but it will be a dead battery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom