• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS+ Will Provide a Smooth Transition Into PS5; Sony to Discuss New Product When Time Is Right

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Early this morning, Sony held it’s quarterly financial earnings call to discuss revenue stream and the outlook for the rest of the year. Amongst the news that the PS5 is still on track for this Holiday season, Chief Financial Officer of Sony Corp., Hiroki Totoki talked a bit about the transition into their next-gen console, the PlayStation 5.

When you look at our results over the mid to long term, you can see that our Game business is steadily growing as evidenced by the growth of network services such as PS Plus and we expect this growth to continue going forward. The proportion of network services revenue continues to increase mainly due to the increase in PS the number of PS Plus subscribers.
We aim to leverage this large community and network services revenue stream to affect a smooth transition from the current console generation to the next, unlike in the past when profitability deteriorated significantly due to development and marketing costs incurred.
When asked during the Q&A segment about the ongoing trend seen in the third-quarter reportings for PS Plus and how big titles can draw in subscription, here’s what Hiroki Totoki had to say:

We have to steadily increase the membership for PS Plus. And how to increase the efficiency of retention there are a number of plans and ideas. Of course in August there was a revision of the price. If you subscribe for the entire year, you enjoy a certain discount and this has led to the increase of steady stable users. In providing such the users would enjoy the online multi-play and free play and also 100-giga PlayStation 4 is also combined and also they enjoy the promotions for discounts.
And by combining different ideas, the users’ favorite start and we were able to increase the membership. There is a trend of increasing the membership during the third quarter but by improving the services and providing a variety of services, we would like to continue this trend and have a robust increase of the customer base.
Now about the future generation, of course, we would definitely like to increase the base to prepare for the next-generation of the product. But there is very little that I can discuss about the future generation of the console today. But when the time is right we will disclose the new product.

They should keep one tier and one set price while adding more value to the membership such as merging Plus with Now.
I mean eventually streaming will be indistinguishable from native rendering, in fact we are in The Matrix now. Woah

Valonquar

"We lure them in with a good freebie in August & September and hope they don't notice when we release shit tier titles in May."

CobraXT

Banned
i am intersted to see how they will manage the monthly free games when ps5 hit the stores .. we should get 4 games monthely by then

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned

Early this morning, Sony held it’s quarterly financial earnings call to discuss revenue stream and the outlook for the rest of the year. Amongst the news that the PS5 is still on track for this Holiday season, Chief Financial Officer of Sony Corp., Hiroki Totoki talked a bit about the transition into their next-gen console, the PlayStation 5.

When asked during the Q&A segment about the ongoing trend seen in the third-quarter reportings for PS Plus and how big titles can draw in subscription, here’s what Hiroki Totoki had to say:

Exciting news indeed

xrnzaaas

They should keep one tier and one set price while adding more value to the membership such as merging Plus with Now.
I mean eventually streaming will be indistinguishable from native rendering, in fact we are in The Matrix now. Woah
PlayStation Now still isn't available in many countries. And we're not even talking about "forgotten" countries with very poor Internet infrastructure.

As long as they let you move over your Digital games from the PS3/4 and actually play them, that is all I ask for. (Microsoft is at least doing this)

It's annoying that my PS3 purchases can't work on the PS4 so I have to turn the PS3 on and wait for minutes at a time to load and play them.

iorek21

Great! A smooth transition from 2 simulation free games to...

....yes guys and gals...

.... FOUR SIMULATION GAMES!!!

WOOOOW

Top Bottom