• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 as old as Famicom was at PS1 launch

Hey guys. I'm a few days late now, but by my particular measurement Sony has reached a new level of seniority in their console business. Since I can recall a time before Sony consoles they've long seemed "the new guys", but clearly that is not so much the case.

Nintendo's Family Computer launched July 15, 1983. 4159 days later the PlayStation launched December 3, 1994. 4159 days later was April 23, 2006. So essentially Sony has now had released console hardware out as long as Nintendo had when Sony jumped in.

Other fun (to me) facts:
Microsoft will reach this point with respect to Nintendo on March 18, 2020.

Microsoft will catch up to Sony relatively soon, though. There being less than 7 years between the PS1 and Xbox launch, MS catches up to Sony October 28, 2008.

Nintendo has a bigger lead in handhelds than consoles. Game Boy was over 15 years old when PSP released. PSP will reach that age August 4, 2020.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Goddammit, I was just cleaning out my pile of old computer software and that was a grim enough reminder of my own mortality. Thanks a lot.

speedpop said:
Yeah it's a good way to realise how old you're getting.
Yeah, totally. I like looking at things' ages and seeing them doubled, reversed, or halved. Seeing different equal time lengths gives you perspective. To continue with the Famicom, for instance...

From Famicom launch to now is ~8322 days.
8322 days from now it will be February 7, 2029.
8322 days before the Famicom launched it was September 30, 1960.

Jonnyram

Scrow said:
i wonder who the next player in the game (lol) will be
Oh, you didn't get the memo? Sony will apparently increase their domination each successive generation, until it reaches 100%. Then, harnessing the power of the 4th and 5th dimensions, they will reach a record-breaking 20,000% market domination.

OmniGamer

Crap! I just realized that it was 10 years last month(March) since I first got my PS1...with Twisted Metal and Street Fighter Alpha.

jack.jpg

"What's an NES? Is it like an Xbox 360?"

*shiver*

Top Bottom