• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS1 we got CDs , PS2 = DVDs , PS3 = Blu-rays & PS4 we got Vue so what media will Sony sell us with PS5?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I really hope flash cartridges. Loading times are terrible on disc. However, they should also have flash internal storage as well.
If it's like traditional ROM cartridges, I'm in. If it's SD cards forget it. I thought chip based media were supposed to be super fast, but playing Switch with my nieces, you get load time too.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I hope it's Blu Ray again, to be honest. 50GB is still large enough for 99% of games, especially now in the age of forced Day One patches and mandatory installs to a local hard drive. The longer we use the format, the cheaper and more ubiquitous it becomes.

Caayn

If it's like traditional ROM cartridges, I'm in. If it's SD cards forget it. I thought chip based media were supposed to be super fast, but playing Switch with my nieces, you get load time too.
Gaming sizes aren't what they used to be and connection/transfer speeds haven't been able to keep up with the growing size of the content. And not every chip is the same ;)

Take the fifth generation of consoles where one of the big differences between the PS1 and N64 was the loading times. The max read speed for the PS1 at the time would've been around 300Kb/s coupled with a storage unit of ~660MB (CD-ROM). Whereas the N64 had a max read speed of 50MB/s coupled with a storage unit of 64MB, making it almost an extension of the system's ram as the entire content could be retrieved within a little over a second.

Now if you were to take an high-end storage unit you wouldn't even come close to a similar ratio that the N64 and other retro cartridge based systems had. Take the Samsung 983 for example, it's far from cheap and still is "only" rated for 3.4GB/s throughput.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I really hope flash cartridges. Loading times are terrible on disc. However, they should also have flash internal storage as well.

Last console to load off discs were the WiiU, PS3, 360 days. Everything is off the HDD now just like the PC for PS4/XboxOne.

TLZ

Banned
I'm honestly bored of discs. They've been around for so long. I want to see something different. Something revolutionary. Not streaming. Has to be physical.

Edit: oh and Sony and Microsoft, after installing the games on our HDD, allow us to remove them and play without them, thanks.

Last edited:

Susurrus

Edit: oh and Sony and Microsoft, after installing the games on our HDD, allow us to remove them and play without them, thanks.

How do you suggest they do that without shitty DRM but prevent people from borrowing/renting a disc and keeping the game forever?

onQ123

How do you suggest they do that without shitty DRM but prevent people from borrowing/renting a disc and keeping the game forever?

Tag the disc with RFID & only let the game work for a few days without the disc in range of your console

onQ123

Sorry, you can't borrow it, my game is under house arrest.

LOL but they can borrow it but if you want to continue playing it after them few days you would have to get it back .

The way it is now you wouldn't be able to play at all once the disc is removed from your console.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
LOL but they can borrow it but if you want to continue playing it after them few days you would have to get it back .

The way it is now you wouldn't be able to play at all once the disc is removed from your console.

Slowly, one company's vision, along with several big publishers, are shaping the mindshare for the OG DRM reveal, lol.

TLZ

Banned
They can link the disc to the console or to your user ID, and if someone uses the same disc, you get a message saying someone's trying to add your linked game to their console/ID, allow? Etc.

And of course when you sell it, you make sure you unlink it from your console/ID. When you delete it, you'll have that option as well if you like.

When people sell/trade in their games to GameStop/ebgames, thread store checks every game in Sony's/MS' database to see if the games are linked or not. If they are, they're allowed to unlink them since they're approved and authorized to do so. Or, they can ask for approval by having you signing an authorization paper that allows them to unlink.

Whatever it is, I'm sure they can come up with something.

onQ123

Slowly, one company's vision, along with several big publishers, are shaping the mindshare for the OG DRM reveal, lol.

This would just be a way for people who bought their game on a disc to have a digital copy but at the same time keep them from getting the digital copy just to sell the disc & keep the game.

Also people with multiply consoles would be able to play the game at the same time with just one disc & it would let a discless console download the game that you bought from the store.

Like what Nintendo's doing right now with the Switch? I agree.

Either option is more superior than optical media nowadays, especially when you need HDD's due to those slow ass Blu-Ray disc drives.

Last edited:

onQ123

Sega was ahead of their time with the games on cards for the Master System , If someone could come up with a cheap way to mass produce cards with 100GBs I wouldn't mind having something like these over Blu-rays

Sega_my_card_2.jpg

Kagero

Sega was ahead of their time with the games on cards for the Master System , If someone could come up with a cheap way to mass produce cards with 100GBs I wouldn't mind having something like these over Blu-rays

Sega_my_card_2.jpg
This is a thing of beauty right here

TLZ

Banned

Sega_my_card_2.jpg
Still looks good.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
TurboGrafx too (I never owned the TurboGrafx though )

maxresdefault.jpg

And the cool thing about the Turbo Graphix ones, they worked in their portable system and their home system.

It was like they were the Switch minus the all in one at the time.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
WTF is Vue?
Sony's streaming cable TV service for $40/month. Nowhere to be found in 2013 when MS was promoting you can plug a cable feed into Xbox and watch TV quickly instead of getting out the TV remote, and people bitched MS about it "TV".

Sony launched this about 2 years later when PS4 was already selling like hotcakes and nobody moaned.

onQ123

And the cool thing about the Turbo Graphix ones, they worked in their portable system and their home system.

It was like they were the Switch minus the all in one at the time.

Yeah that was pretty cool when you look back

Discs for life.

Although cards posted in this thread look cool as fuck.

With cards you wouldn't have to worry about installing games or long loading times plus you can have smaller consoles that also wouldn't need as much RAM because the games would be basically stored in slower RAM when you stick the card into the console . Nintendo Switch cards should be 64GB by the end of the year so it wouldn't be too expensive for 128GB ROM cards in 2020

CFexpress cards will have transfer rates over 1GB per second Blu-ray don't want that smoke

(Basically NVMe inside of a XQD card , not as cool looking as the Sega Master System / TurboGrafx cards but hey)

CFExpress_resized-768x614.png

https://progradedigital.com/2018/04/08/cfexpress-white-paper/

Sony's streaming cable TV service for $40/month. Nowhere to be found in 2013 when MS was promoting you can plug a cable feed into Xbox and watch TV quickly instead of getting out the TV remote, and people bitched MS about it "TV".

Sony launched this about 2 years later when PS4 was already selling like hotcakes and nobody moaned.

Microsoft made the mistake of presenting all that TV stuff before presenting the Xbox One as a gaming console while gamers was watching to learn about about the games ,

Sony presented PS Vue as just another app that you could use on your consoles & smart devices Microsoft had a HDMI input on the back of the console & thought people was going to leave their Xbox One on all day with a cable box running through it.

The funny thing is that the discless Xbox One that's supposed to come out soon should be perfect for what they was going for in the beginning & with the right marketing could sell better than the full size Xbox One.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year

PlayStation Vue is a Cloud based DVR and streaming service, without the need of extra hardware. And I've heard is one of the best cloud based on-demand services around, with better quality then other services. I can see Sony also releasing a discless version of the PS4 Pro and smaller for PSNow and PS Vue in the future.

Susurrus

They can link the disc to the console or to your user ID, and if someone uses the same disc, you get a message saying someone's trying to add your linked game to their console/ID, allow? Etc.

And of course when you sell it, you make sure you unlink it from your console/ID. When you delete it, you'll have that option as well if you like.

When people sell/trade in their games to GameStop/ebgames, thread store checks every game in Sony's/MS' database to see if the games are linked or not. If they are, they're allowed to unlink them since they're approved and authorized to do so. Or, they can ask for approval by having you signing an authorization paper that allows them to unlink.

Whatever it is, I'm sure they can come up with something.

And when the service is down or there's no internet connection? Now we're getting into the same issues that people have with digital distribution with the exception of the bandwidth issue and caps.

onQ123

A little console by the name of PlayStation 4 comes to mind.

So you don't see all the videos & apps on the PSN store front? you don't see Vue or the VR video apps? you never seen Live with PlayStation before Facebook & other companies started letting people live broadcast from home? You never used PlayStation Music to stream music while playing games?

Von Hugh

So you don't see all the videos & apps on the PSN store front? you don't see Vue or the VR video apps? you never seen Live with PlayStation before Facebook & other companies started letting people live broadcast from home? You never used PlayStation Music to stream music while playing games?

PS3 and Vita had videos and apps. And music.

And Vue, in Europe, I don't.

onQ123

PS3 and Vita had videos and apps. And music.

And Vue, in Europe, I don't.

I thought about the apps & stuff on Vita after I posted so the closest they came to just focusing on games was PS1 but even then they had CDs to sell & PlayStation One was the 1st CD player in a lot of homes.

TLZ

Banned
And when the service is down or there's no internet connection? Now we're getting into the same issues that people have with digital distribution with the exception of the bandwidth issue and caps.
It doesn't need authentication every time you play I think. Just the first time.

Anyway, it's not like this will ever happen :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Susurrus

It doesn't need authentication every time you play I think. Just the first time.

Anyway, it's not like this will ever happen :messenger_grinning_sweat:

But some systems are set up for no internet, period. Places still on dialup. Deployed military in some of the rougher deployments. And this is just to start.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
They'll just use higher quality blu ray. Physical media is dying. They should just include a standard blu ray drive for those stuck in the dark ages. Digital/streaming is the future.

The only physical media I like is cartridges. The Switch has them and if PlayStation used them that'd be cool but it would make games significantly more expensive to produce so it's not worth it.

RavageX

Digital only will never work until internet/decent speeds are available EVERYWHERE, and it simply isn't.

You wouldn't believe how many XBOX ONE systems were returned because they needed an update when you first plugged them in.

When companies start covering more of the US and don't charge a ridiculous amount of money for NO CAPS then maybe.

Sega_my_card_2.jpg
a game about transexual robots its surely way ahead of its time

wondermega

Better VR. Current PSVR is already pretty rad! If they can 2X it (get it to Vive level, but more comfy and cheaper plus some kinda bonus) I'll be excited.
YES I KNOW this is not what everyone else wants, but I am expecting this is at least along the lines of the conversations they are having. If it is along these lines to begin with, I will buy it..

Top Bottom