• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Game spotted in Live From PlayStation playing on PS4. Might be fake, not sure.

delSai

Aw yeah, reveal this shit (+ other firmware stuff) at PGW Sony.

Ps2 games with trophies are going to be awesome

There was also a screenshot posted in the PS4 beta community of a test stream of someone playing War Of The Monsters, which is a digital PS2 classic title in the US. Disk based backwards compatibility would be lovely, but it looks like this is only for digital PS2 releases.

Not having immediate access to PS3 games on PlayStation Now that I purchased digitally last gen still grinds my gears.

Hopefully these PS2 games play natively on the PS4 and all purchases transfer over.

Is it technically possible to run PS2 games/discs on a PS4?

That would be glorious
If they ever release a working 'any game' Ps2 emulator, then you can bet that the first time you put the disc in it rips it to the hard drive and emulates from there. The disc only been required as proof of ownership. They sadly aren't likely to do this though.

Scotia

Banned
There was also a screenshot posted in the PS4 beta community of a test stream of someone playing War Of The Monsters, which is a digital PS2 classic title in the US. Disk based backwards compatibility would be lovely, but it looks like this is only for digital PS2 releases.

This game is so good! Please let this happen!

Way too much smoke. The only question is when do they announce it?

I say PSX. The BC is not that big of announcement as xbox's BC since it is the PS2 era not the PS3. But for playstation fans this is something we wanted.

Also if there is trophy support, I assume it will be like a download title (only 315 max points) and no platinum. It would most likely be like the Arcade Classics were it watches a memory address for a certain value. Would be awesome if it had platinums. Lots of trophy hunters and I would have a reason to fully play a game and unlock everything all over again.

Alebrije

If they ever release a working 'any game' Ps2 emulator, then you can bet that the first time you put the disc in it rips it to the hard drive and emulates from there. The disc only been required as proof of ownership. They sadly aren't likely to do this though.

Thanks, yep it seems its an Utopic dream.

Boke1879

It would be but if Sony can try to bring in more PS2 classics in a big way then I'm all for it. The Star Wars games coming over could be huge sign of that.

I wish they would because there are so many great PS2 games not available as Classics. Though Sony probably has to jump through the same licensing hoops as MS does for emulated BC.

I'd love to play Ace Combat 4, 5, Zero, Jurassic Park Operation Genesis, and Star Wars Battlefront 2 on the PS4.

Z3M0G

FF7 is the PC version.

Siren PS2 classic is on PSN for PS3, so I'm thinking it's probably a shared library. There aren't a whole lot of PS2 classics on PSN to begin with though. Maybe that'll pick up if the PS4 emulates them much easier.

This is my hope as well! Though I'm sure soundtrack licensing issues hold most games back... :/

Kubiubo

Give me Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2. The first, especially, is an underrated gem of the PS2.

oh, and Soul Reaver 2. The potential for making tons of money is just sitting there waiting for them.

Tizoc

Hold up that Saint Seiya game isn't even out yet in EU or US o_O
I think PGS might be the earliest we'd learn of PS2 and PS1 on PS4.

1406205933939.gif

I'll hold out until we get official confirmation.

LewieP

Disc support is more likely than unlikely imo. They supported PS1 discs on the PS2 and PS3, plus PS2 discs on compatibly models of the PS3. Why change their approach now? I think additional hardware sales and goodwill would offset the reduced sales of games on PSN. People will also likely pay for the convenience, but it would be nice to have a way of playi games stuck in license limbo, unable to be sold digitally.

Top Bottom