• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 Game spotted in Live From PlayStation playing on PS4. Might be fake, not sure.

androvsky

We're getting PS2 games on the PS4 when Battlefront comes out, so a PSX announcement would be too late. Really the only question is if Sony will let us play our discs too, and considering they said nothing at TGS I'm starting to get a little pessimistic about it. I can't imagine what their excuse would be though, especially after MS's BC announcement. If it's like classics on the PS3 they'll just start releasing PS2 games and say nothing beyond a footnote on the PS Blog.

I say PSX. The BC is not that big of announcement as xbox's BC since it is the PS2 era not the PS3. But for playstation fans this is something we wanted.

The Star Wars games release in November, before the December PSX date, so if those are related to this, then it would be much more likely that we'll get a Paris Games Week reveal at the end of October.

jimmypython

all i want to do is to transfer my PS1 and PS2 games (with save files) that I bought on PS3 to PS4 with no cost.

not sure if it is too much to ask for nowadays.

I hope it's emulation and not just classics.

Or at the very least, read what you have on the disk and make it free to download from the store.

ZeroCDR

Sounds like it's finally happening! I wonder what took so long? I hope disc support is a thing, if not the Classics line will do just fine for now, really happy about this!

delSai

all i want to do is to transfer my PS1 and PS2 games (with save files) that I bought on PS3 to PS4 with no cost.

not sure if it is too much to ask for nowadays.

We will probably keep all the classics we bought, can't see why not with cross buy being a big thing, especially with digital games. And saves should also be possible, but we have to wait and see how Sony handles this thing.

I need yet another platform to play Persona 3 and 4 on while I wait for Persona 5 coming out, do it Sony.

If they can do enhancements like AF and AA and bump up the internal resolution on top of it, that would be fantastic.

Bolivar687

Banned
Can't wait for
Xbox BC dumb
PS BC cool

For all the flak this post is getting, I think most secretly know it's true. There will be lists.

I would love if they unveiled a great emulation software suite with aspect ratio scaling, AA injection, and other features. I have an unopened copy of Radiata Stories ready go, and it would take the pressure off of SQEX to properly remaster DQVIII.

pixelbox

Regarding the trophy thing the patent reads ripping the game and analyzing the data for achievements to create the trophy.

androvsky

I hope it's emulation and not just classics.

Or at the very least, read what you have on the disk and make it free to download from the store.

The classics on the store are emulated. They're bit-perfect ISO rips with a header to tell the emulator what shortcuts to use. Hackers have been injecting random PS2 games into those packages on hacked PS3 firmware for years. Same with PS1 games; it's how I played my wife's copy of Tales of Destiny on a PSP.

If this is the implementation of PS2 and PS1 classics, I'm bloody excited. This is the one feature I've been waiting for the the reveal of this console. While I enjoy PS Now from time to time for the odd PS3 game I haven't played, the classics that we've purchased on the PSN store for the PS3 or PS Vita, should be playable on the most powerful gaming console on the market.

I hope we get an announcement soon. It would be a shame if no form of BC comes to PS4 and we're forced to stick with PS Now for all forms of BC from PS3, PS2 and PS1.

Best wishes.

calder

Is there a way for the PS4 to completely ignore DVD-R's? I vaguely recall there being DVD-R's that the drive simply didn't recognize as not being original game discs, but I may be thinking back to PS1 era CD-Rs.

Either way, I just can't imagine Sony letting you play physical discs regardless.

Definitely! Especially if it offers a couple of enhancement options like resolution, amount of AA, framerate etc.

If they offered trophies

CTrR4Bn.gif

androvsky

Is there a way for the PS4 to completely ignore DVD-R's? I vaguely recall there being DVD-R's that the drive simply didn't recognize as not being original game discs, but I may be thinking back to PS1 era CD-Rs.

Either way, I just can't imagine Sony letting you play physical discs regardless.

Yeah, Sony figured that out with the PS3. Since it has a blu-ray drive the drive firmware is encrypted, so it's extremely hard/impossible to fool it into thinking a burned disc is legit. The drive can tell the difference (in fact, if it's missing the CD laser it might be physically impossible to read CD-Rs, while pressed CDs would still work). Technically even the PS2 could tell the difference, but it was a lot easier to fool with mechanical and software hacks.

hagege_s

Banned
I want to believe in trophy support for PS2 games, but they can't add trophies without touching the game's code, right ? How are they going to do that ?

The Star Wars games release in November, before the December PSX date, so if those are related to this, then it would be much more likely that we'll get a Paris Games Week reveal at the end of October.

Ah yeah. Forgot about the Star Wars games. So I guess Paris then.

Or maybe they just release the games with no fanfare. It will just be listed in a PS Store update blog post.

androvsky

I want to believe in trophy support for PS2 games, but they can't add trophies without touching the game's code, right ? How are they going to do that ?
Sony filed a patent, the emulator watches for disc accesses to certain places; for example if FFXII wants to load a sprite that only appears in the Sky Pirate's lounge for doing a certain thing, the game will assume you've done that thing and award the trophy. Same with accessing the text for a certain item description. For these older systems they could probably also simply watch memory addresses that contain score or level variables too.

pastrami

Reading the memory that the game uses. Same principle behind Game Genie, except instead of using it to manipulate your health, they would read it to figure out where in the game you are, or what milestones you've reached.

Like the Arcade Archives. They just watch for memory addresses and see if it changes to a certain value. Most of the Arcade Archives trophies are like open menu, open options, reset game, etc.

Berordn

You just have the emulator keep an eye on things. You don't have to touch the original game at all, just wrap it in a crunchy, sugary PS4 shell.

Top Bottom