• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS2 production has finally come to an end [Up: Not official yet!]

Edit:

This is not official! (yet)

Apparently, the source of this news comes from the Twitter account of a game shop in Japan, but the tweet no longer exists.

Some sites saved the tweet. Translated into English, it reads: "It appears that the PS2 hardware has finally been discontinued. People who want one should purchase it before stock runs out."

If someone has any other source, please chime in.

SCE has not said anything about discontinuations of the PS2 yet, although it's entirely possible that they will announce it soon.

Sony posted a note in Twitter, stating that the production of PlayStation 2 console has come to an end and they no longer produce new units. The PS2 was released on March 4, 2000 in Japan, and over 154 million units were sold worldwide.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

12 years....what a run

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think they stopped shipping them in North America a year or two ago... Must have mostly been foreign markets recently? India, etc.

350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

Iacobellis

PS2 had such a long run, and deserved all of it. It's crazy to think how much the industry has changed in the past 12 years.

Great games.

The shittiest power button/location of all systems.

And loading times.

So now that's that. Sony gonna go bankrupt in a year?

Mr YuYu

I should buy one, just in case my ps3 dies.

A few years back i started collecting PS2 RPG but haven't had the time yet to play any of them.

BocoDragon

I still remember the hype leading up to the console... it was epic.

My mind was kinda blown that it was announced to play PS1 games... I was really used to never looking back on consoles, throwing my old games in the closet/trash, but the very existence of BC prompted me to really think of a game company's legacy and hold on to my old games (leading to the game hoarder of today :p). The fact that it used PS1 style controller and memory card ports was also unorthodox.

Also when it was first announced... yes there was some criticism of only 2 controller ports.. but I fell in love with the thing. The black color, square lines, and front loading drive really went a long way to making it feel like a piece of consumer electronics like a stereo or DVD player...... most consoles were kinda "toys" before then...

SgtCobra

So many fond memories of that console, a real juggernaut in the gaming business. I wonder if there ever Is going to be another console with the same support and sales.

Diablos

You've come a long way, baby.

To date, no consumer electronics device excited me like the PS2 did when it was getting ready for launch. I doubt anything else will come as close.

*salute*

Strike

End of an era (if true) and an incredible run when you realize not only that its competition stopped selling 6/7 years ago, but it managed to sell an additional 50 million units after its successor was on the market.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
this is going to be 20 pages and I'll still be the only person who saw Wario's post huh

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
G night psjebus, I hated you initially for replacing the dreamcast but I loved you eventually.

Good night PS Jebus. You had a good run..

BocoDragon

End of an era (if true) and an incredible run when you realize not only that its competition stopped selling 6/7 years ago, but it managed to sell an additional 50 million units after its successor was on the market.

Yeah that is pretty amazing.

I was looking for an Xbox 1 in 2005, just after 360 was out. They were already off store shelves forever!

Xbox: On shelves 4 years.

PS2: On western shelves 10 years or so... internationally 12 years :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guess I need to get around to buying Nocturne before Gamestop phases PS2 games out. :/

PS1 production ended in 2006, so I call bullshit. The PS2 should still have plenty of life left in it, specifically in poor countries.

Top Bottom