• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 camper gives up right to ever own PS3 for free $7500 PC from PC Gamer

Zenith

Banned
there's no way they'd sue. you think their publisher's going to shell out thousands of dollars because of some journos' publicity stunt?

What happens in like 3 years when its outdated? Theres got be some limitations. Theyll probably forget about him sooner or later.

Kabouter

demonkid666 said:
What happens in like 3 years when its outdated? Theres got be some limitations. Theyll probably forget about him sooner or later.

I'd be selling that PC the minute I received it.
I'd get three PC's (laptop, gaming PC, media center PC) and an HDTV with the money from that.
Muuuuuuch better idea :p

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Wow.

1) Sell PC for around $7500
2) Give a family member $600~ to buy you a PS3
3) Use other $6900 to buy an HDTV, Wii, Xbox 360, and an abundance of games for all 3 consoles.
4) Spend the rest on clothes and shoes
5) Whatever is left over I'd buy food. :D

Seriously, that guy who gave him the $7500 PC got ripped off.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
ps3_12.jpg

That is one ugly case.

Black_Ice said:
They didn't do it so they could be proud of giving some guy a PC. It was $7500 invested in publicity.

Diablos

Amir0x said:
They have a contract and a notary to confirm the validity of the binding contract.

I'd still break that shit, though
Exactly. If you're super paranoid about it, I suppose you could pay $600 in actual cash. Either way, it's not like these people will come knocking on your door.

Still, after waiting in line for allllll that time, I wouldn't give that up for a $7500 gaming PC.

Defcon

Banned
Damn, what a deal. That PC won't be outdated for a LONG time. Dunno what some of you are talking about, saying it will be crap in 3 years.

Nameless

I would do it, and get a PS3 anyway. Its not like they're going to have a key to your house and search for a PS3 while you're a way. I'm sure you could hide it when they come. Besides, how are they going to prove that its yours, and not someone who lives with you?

Baryn

Banned
Defcon said:
Damn, what a deal. That PC won't be outdated for a LONG time. Dunno what some of you are talking about, saying it will be crap in 3 years.
Oh, it'll definitely run everything in three years.

At 800x600, medium settings.

Adagio

I'd sell the PC.

And shiiittt! A PC worth $7500?! Do people really spend that kinda money on PC games?!

Kabouter

Adagio said:
I'd sell the PC.

And shiiittt! A PC worth $7500?! Do people really spend that kinda money on PC games?!

No, people don't.
You know what the people do that spend that much on PC's?
They masturbate to benchmarks. And try to get higher scores than all the other people with as much money as them. They run bullshit like 3Dmark and SuperPi and see who's the fastest in all the land.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Wow, this innocent (and pretty clever) publicity stunt is really bringing out the anti-PC fanboy contingent.

Ark-AMN

Banned
LMAO I know this guy!!!!

He wen't to the same school I did. And I just saw him last week at the Nintendo party too!!

Saw him on the news last night too, but I guess that was before this went down, cause he was talking about the PS3 then.

Wow, what a coincidence. :lol

Tain

Wow. PC gamers claim to be the most intelligent. But they really do seem insecure and terrified that their platform is dying.
Only as much as console games claim that PC games are dying.

I'd love to see who these PC gamers are. Please, show me. They're the same people you'd see posting in GameFAQs system wars.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Black_Ice said:
Wow.

1) Sell PC for around $7500
2) Give a family member $600~ to buy you a PS3
3) Use other $6900 to buy an HDTV, Wii, Xbox 360, and an abundance of games for all 3 consoles.
4) Spend the rest on clothes and shoes
5) Whatever is left over I'd buy food. :D

I don't think there are tons of people clamoring to buy a used $7500 PC at cost. And PS3s are selling for way more than $600 these days.

No, what he should do is play the hell out of it until PS3s are just sitting on shelves along with games like Heavenly Sword, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy XIII. Then he should just strip down the PC and Ebay all the parts. Super high end parts don't lose their value over time because people are always looking for the best upgrade option for their current rig. I mean, look at the ridiculous prices of AGP cards.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Angelcurio said:
I would have signed the contract. I would simply arrive home and give the money i had for my ps3 to my brother so he could go out and buy it. Since i was the one that signed the contract, they cant stop my brother from getting one :)
So... simple... yet, genius.

*Starts a slow-clap*

Some of you people should listen to Doctor_No.

Tellaerin

Chairman Yang said:
Wow, this innocent (and pretty clever) publicity stunt is really bringing out the anti-PC fanboy contingent.

I don't think saying that you'd skip an offer like this makes you an 'anti-PC fanboy'. I mean, if I really believed that they could enforce the whole 'no PS3' thing, I'd probably pass on it myself. Getting a $7500 gaming PC for free isn't such a huge coup when you're only interested in a handful of the games available for it. The fact that I'd have to give up the right to own a PS3 (which would mean not playing many games I'm interested in) transforms it from 'kinda nice, even if I'm not really going to take advantage of it' to 'no effing way'. (Of course, as a lot of people already pointed out, there are a number of ways around the contract, and even if they do catch him buying a PS3 someday, it's not like they're going to take the guy to court and draw attention to the fact. Better to let people go on thinking that he's been 'converted to PC gaming' like the article says.)

The real irony would be if the guy they gave this to was actually some scalper who knows jack about games and couldn't care less about the PS3.

Jiggy

Hey, nothing stopping him from buying a PS4 some years down the line and catching up on everything he missed out on.

Owzers

" to convert one diehard PS3 fan to PC gaming."

Wouldn't that include them choosing to BUY a PC gaming rig over a PS3, not being handed a top of the line system?

SickBoy

The thing I'd do with this system is try to cannibalize it for $6,000 of value. Then I could buy 3 rather high-quality PCs staggered over the next few years.

ElyrionX

Tain said:
I'd love to see who these PC gamers are. Please, show me. They're the same people you'd see posting in GameFAQs system wars.

Just pick up any issue of PC Gamer from the last two years, and you'll see them.

bengraven

ElyrionX said:
Just pick up any issue of PC Gamer from the last two years, and you'll see them.

PC Gamer has been terrible with the console bashing. And then you pick up a console only magazine and see nothing but PC bashing.

Oh wait...

The assholes.

FFSabin

Ark-AMN said:
LMAO I know this guy!!!!

He wen't to the same school I did. And I just saw him last week at the Nintendo party too!!

Saw him on the news last night too, but I guess that was before this went down, cause he was talking about the PS3 then.

Wow, what a coincidence. :lol

You went to the SF wii party? I probably seen you there too then. :)

White Man

Adagio said:
I'd sell the PC.

I have spent over 10k on computers this year, not counting accessories and monitors.

Kittonwy

Banned
trh said:
ps3_12.jpg

That is one ugly case.

They didn't do it so they could be proud of giving some guy a PC. It was $7500 invested in publicity.

That guy probably was going to sell the PS3 on Ebay anyway, I personally wouldn't take the offer, not being a fan of PC gaming, in a few months the specs wouldn't be cutting edge and some developer somewhere would be designing an engine for something more powerful.

radjago

Defcon said:
PS3 games will be coming out long after this system falls below the Minimum Requirements line for hardcore games.

But I wouldn't pass it up either.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
White Man said:
I have spent over 10k on computers this year, not counting accessories and monitors.

I'd find that surprising if I didn't spend so much on gaming in general.

I used to be into PC gaming back in the day, but the games now days are not really my taste. I would've taken the PC, and hidden a PS3 inside the hollowed case. They'll never know now!

"Why yes, this IS FFXIII running on a PC. Crazy huh?"

Top Bottom