• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 data transfer not working at all

I just did a reflow to my old 60GB motherboard, and revived it. I bought a new slim and am now trying to get the data onto it. Every time I try to do a data transfer, the slim gets stuck on 'Please wait...', and the transfer never starts.

I've tried multiple Ethernet cords and reset both systems. It won't work for some reason. I'm worried that my 60GB is going to die again, and all this work will be for nothing. Any ideas?

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm really hoping someone will be able to help you out. I tried to do the same thing last month and couldn't get it to go.

ChryZ said:
There are a few steps to follow:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/3_15/settings/transferutility.html

Have you done those?

I'd also move any random junk like movies, music, etc to a external usb drive. Delete all the stuff you can re-download via the PSN store. Use the Data Transfer Util just for the copy protected stuff, then it should be done within a few minutes.
I did everything that guide said 100 times. I deleted a whole bunch of stuff, but I don't think the size is the problem, getting it to start is.

stolin

This took a few tries for me to complete a few months back before the Linux removal.. and I don't know what was the final thing that made it work.

Mine kept timing out between 73-86% about 5-6 times.

1. Have the same Firmware on both, mine was 3.15 (first to have Transfer Utility)
2. Delete as much Installed Game Data. These can be re-installed or re-downloaded. (Leave all Save Game data)
3. Disable the Networking Features & Media Server
4. Delete Custom Themes

The Transfer Utility will MOVE the Copy Protected saves & copy the others. Don't forget to the de-authenticate the old unit from PSN so it doesn't take up one of your authentications for your purchases.

Hope this helps.. With all the trial & error and restarting the process took around 6 hours.. It takes a LONG time to copy from a 60BG -> Slim.

Good luck.

Massa

I had a similar problem, wasted an hour or two until I found out that logging in to PSN on the new system fixed it.

No45

I've read comments that the Ethernet cable needs to be a crossover cable (Which is at odds with what's stated in the manual).

cabel

Blu_LED said:
I just did a reflow to my old 60GB motherboard, and revived it. I bought a new slim and am now trying to get the data onto it. Every time I try to do a data transfer, the slim gets stuck on 'Please wait...', and the transfer never starts.

Out of curiosity, how long have you waited?

Because mine stayed at "Please wait..." _forever_ before it actually started.

Massa

Another piece of advice is to deactivate your PSN accounts and manually backing up the most important save files manually to a pen drive (for example, losing my save files for Motorstorm PR and Burnout was much worse than for shorter, completed single player games).

RuGalz

If you actually got the the point where they communicated and says 'please wait' then let it sit at least an hr before deciding that it has frozen... Transfer between different size hdd machines take a while to start and finish from what I have experienced.

I gave up. Mine would freeze at around the 70% mark and give an error on both machines. I was trying to copy about 200GB of data so the suggestion of "just manually delete stuff until it works" didn't cut it for me. After about 6 attempts which cumulatively would have taken about 25 hours I gave up and manually moved my non-encrypted save files and photos to my new (500GB) slim. All of my custom themes, encrypted save files, videos, and music live permanently on that fat now unfortunately.

I was not happy. A simple error message naming the offending file would have been enough to solve the problem instantly.

No45

The more I read peoples comments on this process, the less I'm looking forward to doing it. I'm tempted to remove a load of the downloadable games I have on the 60GB just to try and make the process faster - I can always download them again.

No45 said:
The more I read peoples comments on this process, the less I'm looking forward to doing it. I'm tempted to remove a load of the downloadable games I have on the 60GB just to try and make the process faster - I can always download them again.
To be honest that would be the best thing to do, when my 60gig YLOD i got it repaired and got a new 250gig slim and i had problems transfering the data so i just deleted everything that i couldnt get again and it worked, plus it would have taken a lot longer with all that stuff.

Captain Pants

I'm trying to do it now, and it just says 'Please wait...'. I deleted everything but the saves from my 60GB. I'm wondering if I need to do the same on my Slim. I've been using it for about two months now, and while it would suck to start over yet again, I'd rather lose the saves from my Slim than my 60GB.

Captain Pants said:
I'm trying to do it now, and it just says 'Please wait...'. I deleted everything but the saves from my 60GB. I'm wondering if I need to do the same on my Slim. I've been using it for about two months now, and while it would suck to start over yet again, I'd rather lose the saves from my Slim than my 60GB.
You will lose everything from the slim, no matter what. This process formats the receiving ends HDD at the start.

DeadGzuz

Banned
cabel said:
Out of curiosity, how long have you waited?

Because mine stayed at "Please wait..." _forever_ before it actually started.

It took a while, but it did start. I did it a month or so back.

Captain Pants

Blu_LED said:
You will lose everything from the slim, no matter what. This process formats the receiving ends HDD at the start.

Balls... oh well. I've had my 60GB since the launch, and I'd rather lose two months worth of saves than four years. Thanks.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Captain Pants said:
Balls... oh well. I've had my 60GB since the launch, and I'd rather lose two months worth of saves than four years. Thanks.

USB backup your saves on your Slim, transfer over, then plug in your USB key and restore the saves.

Unfortunately for me, I can neither do the data transfer or do USB backup of my saves on my 20gb, the 20gb is pretty much dead, and will only stay on 10min at a time. :(

:( :( :(.

WHY WONT MY USB SLOT WORK!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Leave the 60GB on for a bit. The HDD might be slightly corrupted. Happened to mine and now it works fine. I was able to backup all my data as well.

After sleeping on it, I got up this morning and everything worked out fine. I was way more patient then last night too, so that might of helped.

Chris R

So you do use a regular Ethernet cord and not a crossover cord? Interesting and good to know when my 60GB kicks the bucket.

I have a 40 GB that was dying and did the transfer and the same shit happened and I went to the service menu and restored the drive and rebuilt the data base and it worked right after I did that. I dont know how todo that on the 60 gb.

MrPliskin

Banned
The whole process sucks donkey dick. It's just another FUBAR feature Sony implemented that works half assedly, but never when you want. It's shit, in other words. Sony firmware = shit. No two ways about it.

mittelos

I ran into the same problem a few weeks ago. The fix for me was making sure network and media sharing was set to "off" on both machines.

PAUonePUNCH

Neo Member
***** BUMP because I cant start threads yet ************

My PS3 audio and HDMI died so I bought a new one and I'm trying to transfer over my data. Bout super slim models. Same thing is happening to me now. Tried everything mentioned across the internet but cant get it to work. The only thing I cant do is gat my old PS3 into safe mode because it takes about 30 seconds before it starts because I guessing its checking for fried components. The green light turned on by the controller just flashes and shuts off.

This shit is frustrating as hell. I'm going on about hour three of trying to figure this out....

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Honestly, I would backup as many saved games as I possibly could and just start fresh on the new slim.
download the saves and call it a day

Top Bottom