• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 - FirmWare 1.70 Update Available Now [US]

The Jer

Just got prompted to update my PS3 to FW version 1.70 when I turned my PS3 on to play Motorstorm.

New Features :

- You can now download PlayStation format software from the PS Store and play it on your PS3

- You can use saved data for PlayStation format software on the PSP

- You can use the vibration function of accessories that are for use with PlayStation and PlayStation 2 format software.

Other Changes That Appear to Have Taken Place :

- Some GAFfers have noticed that some of the video icons that had been moving "slow" after the last FW update are now moving at a normal speed.

- PAL GAFfers have noticed an updated and improved backwards compatibility.

Other Thread Notables

- It appears that the PS3 capable PS1 downloads will start in May.

- It seems people still don't realize they can overlay a transparent XMB over applications. Pressing the PS button while viewing videos, photos, or playing music will bring up the XMB without stopping these applications.

NOTICE : It appears that the PS1 downloadable games in the PS store currently are still for PSP only!
The files currently available for download must be changed before they can be downloaded to and played from the PS3 hard drive.
This change will affect the PS store and, according to Sony, will happen sometime in May.
It sounds like you will be able to share save files between the two systems.

UPDATE TO NOTICE: Current PS1 downloadables are now for both the PS3 and PSP.
You can install the game to your PS3. You will then be able to copy the game to your PSP.
You should be able to use the same game save between the two. You should also be able to use the same game save with a disced copy of the game.
If you had previously purchased a PS1 game when it was PSP only, you can now go to the store and download the game to your PS3 free of charge.

calder

Yeah I just noticed that too, was looking for a thread about it...

It's downloading now, and all I can think about is the power outage I had last week and what I'd do if the power went out while I was updating it heh. It would probably involve a noose.

ukas

PS1 games are now playable on PS3(downloadable that is). That was the big one I saw. There were two other bullet points as well. Oh yeah, they are showing the release notes before patching now. I may have misread it but, don't kill me.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
ukas said:
PS1 games are now playable on PS3. That was the big one I saw. There were two other bullet points as well. Oh yeah, they are showing the release notes before patching now.

LIES!

Still downloading...

ukas said:
PS1 games are now playable on PS3. That was the big one I saw. There were two other bullet points as well. Oh yeah, they are showing the release notes before patching now.

NO ****ING WAY! If true I'm loadin some of my cash in that wallet and then taking it out again and spending it.

JB1981

ukas said:
PS1 games are now playable on PS3(downloadable that is). That was the big one I saw. There were two other bullet points as well. Oh yeah, they are showing the release notes before patching now.
what about XMB access while I'm doing other things, such as playing a ****ing game?!

kuYuri

ukas said:
PS1 games are now playable on PS3(downloadable that is). That was the big one I saw. There were two other bullet points as well. Oh yeah, they are showing the release notes before patching now.

Where are these release notes you speak of?

JB1981

The Jer said:
Just got prompted to update my PS3 to FW version 1.70 when I turned my PS3 on to play Motorstorm.

New Features :

- You can now download PlayStation format software from the PS Store and play it on your PS3

- You can use saved data for Playstation format software on the PSP

- You can use the vibration function of accessories that are for use with PlayStation and PlayStation 2 format software.
looks like i'm buying a dual shock 2 for BC games

kuYuri

The Jer said:

New Features :

-You can now download PlayStation format software from the PS Store and play it on your PS3

- You can use saved data for Playstation format software on the PSP

Niiiiiice. /Marcus Fenix

The Jer said:

YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

ukas

I'm trying to figure out how to play the ones I bought a while ago. Can't believe I forgot about the rumble part. Guess it really doesn't mean that much to me.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Well, I just finished watching a movie on my PS3, so I guess I'll go ahead and download. Yep, just got the prompt as soon as the DVD popped out.

Edit - Wow, almost done downloading already. Woo.

JB1981

Mejilan said:
Well, I just finished watching a movie on my PS3, so I guess I'll go ahead and download. Yep, just got the prompt as soon as the DVD popped out.

Edit - Wow, almost done downloading already. Woo.
this is the slowest firmware download for me so far. :(

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
good news about ps1 software on ps3 -- now i just need a way to buy stuff from the japanese ps store. r types! r type delta! raiden project! :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
PS1 GAMES TO PS3!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAGSDFASYFGASVBFYAB***UGAUDHBRFGHJ>H

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Installing now!

Edit - I wonder if my own converted-to-PSP-format PSOne games will work! :D

So, will this update get the background downloading treatment as well (people complained about it all the time, but now that it's fixed no one cares)? Should be a fun 1up Show.

ukas

Anyone figure out the PS1 games yet? I tried to download them from my PS Store list but, it still asks for the psp to be hooked up.

JB1981

_leech_ said:
So, will this update get the background downloading treatment as well (people complained about it all the time, but now that it's fixed no one cares)? Should be a fun 1up Show.
what

The Jer

I've finished the update.

It didn't take too long (about 1 minute).

I'm going to check and see if the current PS1 for PSP stuff works on the PS3.

kuYuri

Yeah, it was slow for me at first. At around 55%, I look away for a few seconds then look back, and it's already done. o_O

Top Bottom