• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.40 - Out Not!

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
btkadams said:
...um ya obviosuly since sshd is the only game to have them

...um ya juss telling you cuss the game obviosuly isn't out yet and they might have put them in before pressing the discs

B-Ri

i dunno about you guys, but i was hoping the sound of when you unlock a trophy was the boot up music on the "playstation" OG.

so epic, i want it changed, do it sony.

Jtrizzy

DCharlie said:
lol - does everyone who previously didn't "get" achievements now understand -why- they are addictive now PS3/X360 both have a system?

I never understood the hate.
yes.

jakeellis01

other stealth updates i noticed:

- reassign controllers and vibration function can be changed through xmb (accessory settings)
- videos on hard drive/mediaservers/flashdrives has now Noise/Black Reduction and can add subtitles now
- can turn off system through xmb (users section)
- parental controls have changed a bit
- photos have more sorting features

sorry if old... didn't read whole thread

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Is the next wowhawk patch going to have custom soundtracks?

I'm not particularly interested in using it in that game, but I'm just wondering because SSHD didn't have custom soundtracks with this patch, which I found curious. Maybe they didn't have the tools in time or something.

Tntnnbltn

gofreak said:
I'm not particularly interested in using it in that game, but I'm just wondering because SSHD didn't have custom soundtracks with this patch, which I found curious. Maybe they didn't have the tools in time or something.
Probably because they've already got in-game custom soundtracks. :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Tntnnbltn said:
Probably because they've already got in-game custom soundtracks. :p

Well, that shows me, doesn't it :p

Still, it doesn't work with the in-game xmb way of doing it..i figured they'd patch it for that..

Decided to time this update after seeing all the recent whiners:

Download: 1m:53s @ an average speed of 1181KB/s
Copying update to PS3: 2m:3s
Installing: 3m:14s (this includes the wait for the PS3 to boot in "safe mode", skipping all the User Agreement text, and booting after the install)

7m:10s

They're right! Way too much time I had to waste while updating...

:lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Metalmurphy said:

Installing: 3m:14s (this includes the wait for the PS3 to boot in "safe mode", skipping all the User Agreement text, and booting after the install)

Seriously, this was the fastest update I've had by far. The download was shockingly fast. Maybe I got a good connection for once.

rod

Banned
whats the best way to put music on a ps3? i cant stream music from my pc while playing a game, does ps3 read mp3 cdr?

jakeellis01

hirokazu said:
What? Can you explain that?
Video file on HDD/Mass storage:
[Frame Noise Reduction] [Block Noise Reduction] settings are added.
Content becomes automatically upconverted to fit screen size.

Kazuya

jakeellis01 said:
- videos on hard drive/mediaservers/flashdrives has now Noise/Black Reduction and can add subtitles now
Wait what ? you can add subtitles ? you mean it can read .srt ?

Johnkers

Metalmurphy said:

This one took me 40 minutes :(

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
jakeellis01 said:
Video file on HDD/Mass storage:
[Frame Noise Reduction] [Block Noise Reduction] settings are added.
Content becomes automatically upconverted to fit screen size.

I thought the noise reduction settings have been there for a while, i am sure I was playing with them while watching a DVD the other day.

dino1980

jakeellis01 said:
other stealth updates i noticed:

- reassign controllers and vibration function can be changed through xmb (accessory settings)
- can turn off system through xmb (users section)
- parental controls have changed a bit
- photos have more sorting features

sorry if old... didn't read whole thread

How do you get subtitles to work on movies that is streamed or laying on the harddrive?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ok so if you push the PS button on a second controller it brings up the XMB. From there, u can go change the controller port from 2 to 1 and the previously 1 controller is automatically changed to 2. Pretty neat.

I know the controller settings were announced already. Just saying it's nice you can automatically switch ports. Previously I had to turn off controller 1 in order to have that port assigned to another controller. Now all I have to do is setting the second controller to 1 and the system takes care of the rest.

This is also possible in the "old" PS Button menu. I recall it wasn't before. If a controller was set to 1, you couldnt set a second one to that port unless you turned off the first controller.

Are you confused? I know...

jakeellis01

dino1980 said:
How do you get subtitles to work on movies that is streamed or laying on the harddrive?

i have no idea how the subtitles work.. but there's a new button when you press the triangle button while watching a vid streamed from harddrive (just like a dvd)

TTP said:
Previously I had to turn off controller 1 in order to have that port assigned to another controller. Now all I have to do is setting the second controller to 1 and the system takes care of the rest.

Erm, I tried this a few days ago when I was playing Tekken with some friends and it didn't work like that. It automaticly switched as well. It must have been added in an update after you tried it.

besada

Banned
Sort of disappointing, I guess. Lots of new features, but none of them work with existing games.

I hoped they'd get XMB music working on all games, but I guess they'll need to be patched.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Metalmurphy said:
Erm, I tried this a few days ago when I was playing Tekken with some friends and it didn't work like that. It automaticly switched as well. It must have been added in an update after you tried it.

Damn stealthy updates.

Slamo

jakeellis01 said:
i have no idea how the subtitles work.. but there's a new button when you press the triangle button while watching a vid streamed from harddrive (just like a dvd)

For .avi files?

Tntnnbltn

TTP said:
Ok so if you push the PS button on a second controller it brings up the XMB. From there, u can go change the controller port from 2 to 1 and the previously 1 controller is automatically changed to 2. Pretty neat.

I know the controller settings were announced already. Just saying it's nice you can automatically switch ports. Previously I had to turn off controller 1 in order to have that port assigned to another controller. Now all I have to do is setting the second controller to 1 and the system takes care of the rest.

This is also possible in the "old" PS Button menu. I recall it wasn't before. If a controller was set to 1, you couldnt set a second one to that port unless you turned off the first controller.

Are you confused? I know...
That's been like that for as long as I can remember...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Tntnnbltn said:
That's been like that for as long as I can remember...

Odd. It didnt allow me to have a newly connected controller set to port 1. The "1" option wasn't there.

Or maybe I never realized I was doing something wrong. Probably this :p

jakeellis01

Slamo said:
For .avi files?

for all files

try running a trailer of your ps3..... press the triangle button.... there are 2 new buttons:
- subtitles options
- av settings

pretty sure these are new buttons... but don't know how they work :/

nofi

Here you go:

* Displaying the XMB™ screen during gameplay
You can now access the XMB™ screen while playing PLAYSTATION®3 format software.
* Searching the Internet from the XMB™ screen
You can now perform an Internet search directly from the XMB™ screen.

Overall

* You can now see the system clock on the XMB™ screen. The date and time that were set under [Settings] > [Date and Time] are displayed.
* When using a keyboard, you can now clear the entire text entry field at once.
* The Users icon is now displayed when you press the PS button for an operation that cannot be performed.

Users

* You can now turn off the PS3™ system from the XMB™ screen using the [Turn Off System] option.

Settings

* You can now set the PS3™ system to turn off automatically after updating the system software.
* [Reassign Controllers] and [Controller Vibration Function] have been added as options under [Accessory Settings].

Photo

* You can now print images from a playlist.
* You can now sort items that are grouped in a folder by month or year using the
[Film Date date down] or [Film Date date up] options.

Music

* You can now use a mini-size control panel while playing music.
* You can now play music content encoded in MP3 Surround format.*
* MP3 Surround can only be used when playing music content in Linear PCM format.

Video

* You can now use the [Frame Noise Reduction] and [Block Noise Reduction] settings for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media.
* You can now play upscaled video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. When the video content is played, it is upscaled automatically to match the screen size.
* Upscaling of Blu-ray Disc (BDAV) video content is now supported.
* For DTS playback on DVD-Video and Blu-ray Disc media, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 for DVD-Video and DTS-ES Matrix for Blu-ray Discs are now supported.*
* “DTS” is a trademark of DTS Inc.

Game

* The procedure for quitting PLAYSTATION®3 format software has been changed.
* You can now collect trophies in games that support the trophy feature.

Network

* [Search] has been added as an option in the browse mode menu of the Internet browser.

Friends

* The number of Friends who can be added to a Friends list has been increased from 50 to 100.
* The [Information] screen has been redesigned and renamed as [Profile].

Don't worry about your trophies, I had most of mien update and the last few haven't yet. I'm sure there is just a backlog of updating to do with this many people getting trophies. I hope something other than SSD gets them soon.

FirewalkR

What about DMC4? I remember receiving some OS messages about having just unlocked an "accomplishment". Seems like they were doing that through an already existing API. Has anyone checked it yet?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
In MGO, you can only bring up the in-game XMB while you are NOT partecipating in a game. Otherwise you get the old menu.

Total failure.

Steroyd

L1 + square deletes all text in the virtual keyboard, either that was hidden (like hold circle to close a window pre-update) and they've now highlighted that with the update or I'm really slow.

Top Bottom