• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.40 - Out Not!

jakeellis01

nofi said:
* When using a keyboard, you can now clear the entire text entry field at once.

pretty neat feature:
By pressing square + L1 simultaneously All characters can be deleted during input

RpgN

Ah, sending messages and viewing profiles ingame is a bless. But the costum soundtracks are pretty useless now. I hope they will be patched soon. Trophies are very nice as well.

BTW I'm not sure if I should ask this here. A while ago (older firmware) you were able to see movies from dailymotion, but not anymore. Any idea why we're getting only a white screen now?

hirokazu

jakeellis01 said:
Video file on HDD/Mass storage:
[Frame Noise Reduction] [Block Noise Reduction] settings are added.
Content becomes automatically upconverted to fit screen size.
I'm more interested in the "...can add subtitles now" bit. :p

EDIT:
jakeellis01 said:
i have no idea how the subtitles work.. but there's a new button when you press the triangle button while watching a vid streamed from harddrive (just like a dvd)
Ooooh. That's not new... And here I was getting excited that they may have added additional subtitle support outside of the DivX standard that noone uses. :/

Has anyone found out how to remove / toggle the time displayed in the XMB screen?

I never really had a need for it in the first place, but thought they would only display it in the in-game XMB screen - and not permanently.

Guymelef

TTP said:
In MGO, you can only bring up the in-game XMB while you are NOT partecipating in a game. Otherwise you get the old menu.

Total failure.

Strange, others say that not problem.

i can't.

Steroyd

TTP said:
In MGO, you can only bring up the in-game XMB while you are NOT partecipating in a game. Otherwise you get the old menu.

Total failure.

Same okaying Everybody's Golf, you can't message someone while in a tournament, wth.

Majmun

Took me about 5-6 minutes to download and install.

Great stuff. There are already some trophy whores...

jacf29

Banned
I was going to just return this ps3 in a few weeks to walmart but now I'm having second thoughts with 2.4 being released. Is there any reason to get a Japanese ps3 over a US one? I know the ps3 is able to play both Japanese and US games, but I thought I heard somewhere I won't be able to use that cool game that only comes on Japanese ps3s or access the Japanese home space if I have a US ps3.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
umm... except for the original one all my themes are broken now. Instead of the new icons they only show a question mark. Too bad, I really liked the official MGS4 one. -.-

hirokazu

BruceWayneIII said:
Has anyone found out how to remove / toggle the time displayed in the XMB screen?

I never really had a need for it in the first place, but thought they would only display it in the in-game XMB screen - and not permanently.
Downgrade to 2.36.
You can't LOL.

hirokazu

jacf29 said:
I was going to just return this ps3 in a few weeks to walmart but now I'm having second thoughts with 2.4 being released. Is there any reason to get a Japanese ps3 over a US one? I know the ps3 is able to play both Japanese and US games, but I thought I heard somewhere I won't be able to use that cool game that only comes on Japanese ps3s or access the Japanese home space if I have a US ps3.
You can play Mainichi Issho on any region PS3, you just need a Japanese PSN account. Not sure what home space you're talking about.

PS3-wise, the only real difference between regions is that you can't set what region store the information display checks, it is set to whatever region the PS3 is. (Excluding the obvious DVD/Blu-ray/PSone/PS2 regions, and censorship of certain titles on certain regions.)

jacf29

Banned
hirokazu said:
You can play Mainichi Issho on any region PS3. Not sure what home space you're talking about.

Oh yep that was the name of the game. As for home space, I thought that Sony has home region locked?

jacf29

Banned
hirokazu said:
You can play Mainichi Issho on any region PS3, you just need a Japanese PSN account. Not sure what home space you're talking about.

PS3-wise, the only real difference between regions is that you can't set what region store the information display checks, it is set to whatever region the PS3 is. (Excluding the obvious DVD/Blu-ray/PSone/PS2 regions, and censorship of certain titles on certain regions.)

oh so if i have a US ps3 i will only be able to access the US store, even if I live in Japan?

Ranger X

I don't get the supposed reason for not having the trophies retroactive with save files.

Me think it will NEVER have anything to do with save files because they wouldn't be able to prevent trophy whoring in the futur either.

Trophies are probably installed in game data. (therefore you can't cheat that)

hirokazu

jacf29 said:
oh so if i have a US ps3 i will only be able to access the US store, even if I live in Japan?
Nah, I'm talking about that ticker thing below the clock if you have it switched on. The store you access depends on the account you have, so you can access any region store on any PS3 as long as you have an account for that region. Not sure why they don't change the ticker based on what account you're logged in as, sounds like the logical option to me.

wow i was busy playing God Hand all night and wasn't notified to perform a system update :(

guess i'll have to tinker around with it later this afternoon

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ranger X said:
I don't get the supposed reason for not having the trophies retroactive with save files.

Me think it will NEVER have anything to do with save files because they wouldn't be able to prevent trophy whoring in the futur either.

Trophies are probably installed in game data. (therefore you can't cheat that)

Burnout Paradise will use its save data for awarding trophies. I suspect many games will actually.

jacf29

Banned
hirokazu said:
Nah, I'm talking about that ticker thing below the clock if you have it switched on. The store you access depends on the account you have, so you can access any region store on any PS3 as long as you have an account for that region. Not sure why they don't change the ticker based on what account you're logged in as, sounds like the logical option to me.

Oh I see. So I can basically access the Japanese store from America as long as I put in some fake Japanese information when I create a Japanese account? The only downside I can see now to keeping the US ps3 is not being able to view Japanese blueray movies. And heck, I doubt there are any good ones anyways.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
ahhh i had a question that i forgot to ask in the old thread but i'm sure that it got discussed and disected: are the trophies assigned to PSN IDs or gamesaves, and if it's the former will copying that save data to my PS3 and loading up the game would get me the trophies earned in the save? (i'm hoping/almost sure that it's a "no" which is the answer i wanna hear)

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
What the fuck is with this stupid updating bullshit! eveeryfuckingtime I have to update it takes many tries. I wouldnt care if it didnt waste my download limits.

fucking uselss grrr!!!

Ranger X

TTP said:
Burnout Paradise will use its save data for awarding trophies. I suspect many games will actually.

So how is this preventing trophy swapping/whoring?
That must not be the reason why old games can't have trophies in retro by the save file. This reason (well, that's what the OP wrote, i don't know if it's Sony saying that) doesn't make a lick of sense.

nofi

navii said:
What the fuck is with this stupid updating bullshit! eveeryfuckingtime I have to update it takes many tries. I wouldnt care if it didnt waste my download limits.

fucking uselss grrr!!!

Took me 2 minutes. It's your own fault for leaving it 6 hours. ;)

Ranger X said:
That must not be the reason why old games can't have trophies in retro by the save file. This reason (well, that's what the OP wrote, i don't know if it's Sony saying that) doesn't make a lick of sense.

Burnout's saves are locked to the PSN ID.

S. L.

Ranger X said:
burnout paradise saves are locked to an account

jacf29 said:
Is there any reason to get a Japanese ps3 over a US one? I know the ps3 is able to play both Japanese and US games, but I thought I heard somewhere I won't be able to use that cool game that only comes on Japanese ps3s or access the Japanese home space if I have a US ps3.

The JP console has the X and O buttons permanently reversed (makes no diff where your account is or what your region is set to or anything) and it's really annoying.

There's an extra app on JP consoles called "Edy Viewer" which lets you check your balance on your Edy card (a japanese cash card you can use anywhere - train station, vending machines, whatever". You need a USB Edy card reader to use it.

Then of course the DVD/Blu-ray/PS1/PS2 games are region locked (blu-ray is hit-or-miss... every blu-ray I bought out of 30 ended up being region-free).

You can download the japanese cat game as long as you have a JPN PSN account. Doesn't have anything to do with the console region.

jacf29

Banned
Tokyo Rain said:
The JP console has the X and O buttons permanently reversed (makes no diff where your account is or what your region is set to or anything) and it's really annoying.

There's an extra app on JP consoles called "Edy Viewer" which lets you check your balance on your Edy card (a japanese cash card you can use anywhere - train station, vending machines, whatever". You need a USB Edy card reader to use it.

Then of course the DVD/Blu-ray/PS1/PS2 games are region locked (blu-ray is hit-or-miss... every blu-ray I bought out of 30 ended up being region-free).

You can download the japanese cat game as long as you have a JPN PSN account. Doesn't have anything to do with the console region.

Oh i see. Just one more concern. While I know my US ps3 will plug in and work in Japan, will the difference in voltage increase the amount of electricity it consumes, thus costing me more per month on my electric utility bill? I know a bit of an odd concern but a concern non the less.

Goldrusher

jacf29 said:
...will the difference in voltage increase the amount of electricity it consumes ?

The power supply is 100-240V, you can "feed" it anything between 100 and 240 volts and it'll work fine. Won't change your electricity bill.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so are trophies attached to whoever is signed in when you launch the game? Just that many of us will have multiple accounts for the store so that might need to be taken into account?

cedric69

I can't believe the sorry assed way of handling trophies that Sony ended up with.

We have to wait for single games to be patched? When trophies were announced around a year ago? Fuck you incompetent idiots.
Whoever is responsible for this ought to be fired straight away.

nofi

cedric69 said:
I can't believe the sorry assed way of handling trophies that Sony ended up with.

We have to wait for single games to be patched? When trophies were announced around a year ago? Fuck you incompetent idiots.

Brilliant. Where can I buy your book?

besada said:
I hoped they'd get XMB music working on all games, but I guess they'll need to be patched.
Some games will never get an update due to some devs completely moving away from their old games and some developers no longer work with particular publishers (like it might be the case with Ninja Theory and Factor 5 with SCE).

Unfortunately, MS does own a software patent on in-game music globally (basically, some software that cuts out the regular music and plays something else over it I believe, can't really explain), so that's why Sony has to do things different (but at least Sony has it setup to make it easier to implement it, for developers).

Anyway, developers just got this upgrade like a month ago I believe, so I highly doubt many would be finished implementing trophies in just one month (I expect many updates in August maybe).
cedric69 said:

If you remember, some developers at GAF (and insiders) posted about the recent firmware in development kits added trophies like one month ago. If you think many games will have trophies ready in one month, that's a bit crazy.

cedric69 said:

You have to program trophies into the games.

Since Sony didn't have the Trophy system up for about a year and a half, of course most games aren't going to be compatible yet. Ditto for custom soundtracks.

I can assure you, though, that a year from now when we're all playing Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, etc etc...that all of these titles will support both and you won't care that some quirky launch title doesn't have trophies.

Sucks that they were a bit late, but damn, I'm absolutely loving 2.4 right now. I love how it simply overlays the gamescreen and loads up fast.

So damn slick.

jacf29

Banned
Goldrusher said:
The power supply is 100-240V, you can "feed" it anything between 100 and 240 volts and it'll work fine. Won't change your electricity bill.

Dude thanks so much to you and the other guy. You both have been a great help :)

when games start supporting custom soundtracks will you be able to stream the music from a pc or will it have to be stored on the ps3's hdd?

TTP said:

Total failure.

what? Not true. I've been sending messages while playing MGO all day.

Top Bottom