• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.40 - Out Not!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So, keeping the Trophy system thing going...here's what Capcom says:

TBD across the board for retro support. Future support is highly likely (though in what titles I can't confirm right now).

And as far as thatgamecompany (flOw, Flower), when asked if they will patch in trophy support:

Honestly, we don't know yet. We're just focused on making Flower awesome at the moment! But what would like to see and why?

biocat

Tokyo Rain said:
The JP console has the X and O buttons permanently reversed (makes no diff where your account is or what your region is set to or anything) and it's really annoying.

There's an extra app on JP consoles called "Edy Viewer" which lets you check your balance on your Edy card (a japanese cash card you can use anywhere - train station, vending machines, whatever". You need a USB Edy card reader to use it.

Then of course the DVD/Blu-ray/PS1/PS2 games are region locked (blu-ray is hit-or-miss... every blu-ray I bought out of 30 ended up being region-free).

You can download the japanese cat game as long as you have a JPN PSN account. Doesn't have anything to do with the console region.

It makes more sense to have O be the enter button. X is pretty universally thought of as cancel or close as well.

Super_Chicken said:
*starts to cry* I bought Super Stardust HD last night. :lol

I wouldn't normal condone this type of behavior, but... its fucking SSHD. If any game deserves a sales boost its most definitely that one. Enjoy : )

PuMa

nofi said:
For now. Everybody's Golf had it's own mini in-game XMB, they'll need to work around that.

Yeah, I know about the in-LOBBY XMB, which was a step in the right direction. However, I assumed that 2.40 would let us use the XMB while actually in a tourney/game. If it actually doesnt, that sucks.

Ryu1999

2.40 completely borked IR2BT in case anyone bought it. If you power on the PS3 with the IR2BT, it won't accept any other commands afterwards.

I guess the workaround is to power it on with a controller or manually pressing the powerbutton on the console, but that defeats one of the major points of using ir2bt

Tideas

Banned
Ranger X said:
So how is this preventing trophy swapping/whoring?
That must not be the reason why old games can't have trophies in retro by the save file. This reason (well, that's what the OP wrote, i don't know if it's Sony saying that) doesn't make a lick of sense.

why do you guys care so much what somebody else do with their free time and energy if it (so far) does not indirectly or directly affects you?

cedric69 said:
I can't believe the sorry assed way of handling trophies that Sony ended up with.

We have to wait for single games to be patched? When trophies were announced around a year ago? Fuck you incompetent idiots.
Whoever is responsible for this ought to be fired straight away.

This has got to be a joke post...

You can't honestly expect that games that were already out would magically support trophies can you?

oO

hirokazu

biocat said:
It makes more sense to have O be the enter button. X is pretty universally thought of as cancel or close as well.
I like that scheme a lot more than the swapped around button scheme used outside Japan/Asia. I especially hate games that ignore the console's set button scheme and decide to hard code it instead, GTA4 for example.

Metalmurphy said:

You can't honestly expect that games that were already out would magically support trophies can you?

oO
A lot of people predicted idiots would start complaining about shit before too long. ;P

nofi

PuMa said:
Yeah, I know about the in-LOBBY XMB, which was a step in the right direction. However, I assumed that 2.40 would let us use the XMB while actually in a tourney/game. If it actually doesnt, that sucks.

Again, yet.

hirokazu

mrklaw said:
so are trophies attached to whoever is signed in when you launch the game? Just that many of us will have multiple accounts for the store so that might need to be taken into account?
Use your different accounts to access region-exclusive content, but use only one main account to play all your games. That's what I've been doing, I'm surprised people didn't see the advantages of that from the beginning and used different accounts for different games.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I guess it would be too much to hope for Namco to patch custom soundtrack support into Ridge Racer 7. They couldn't even be bothered to put rumble in, or support DLC past the first month.

I got 8 trophies after one play-through of arcade. :lol I was so close to the multiplier hero trophy too. oh well.

Hurry up with the MGS4 trophies, Konami!

rod

Banned
ok so in a nutshell, what exactly did 2.4 enable? i havent been able to put any music on my ps3 yet so i dont know if custom soundtracks work yet at all, thats what i mainly wanted.

Gowans

Just updated, I will now no longer hate it when I get a message.

God I hope this Tropheys hype calms down here on GAF tho, I get it that they are new and fun but man I'm sick already.

Love the Leveling touch thats added but think the platinum could be horrendous (if they follow the same route as achievement)

2.4 is a great first step tho, look forward to seeing what Son can build on top of it (private chat next please)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Games need to be PATCHED to support custom soundtracks, even with the new update. To date, NO GAMES support custom soundtracks through the XMB.
Okay, fuck this update.

Gowans007 said:
Just updated, I will now no longer hate it when I get a message.

God I hope this Tropheys hype calms down here on GAF tho, I get it that they are new and fun but man I'm sick already.

Love the Leveling touch thats added but think the platinum could be horrendous (if they follow the same route as achievement)

2.4 is a great first step tho, look forward to seeing what Son can build on top of it (private chat next please)

Why would Platinum trophies be horrendous?

Dragon

Banned
rod said:
ok so in a nutshell, what exactly did 2.4 enable? i havent been able to put any music on my ps3 yet so i dont know if custom soundtracks work yet at all, thats what i mainly wanted.

It will still come down to if the game supports it, and the majority of older games probably won't, so for you, it's sort of meaningless until some companies support it.

In-Game XMB is more important to me, I don't have any music on the HDD. I do wish it was possible during PS2/PS1 games. The Blu-ray thing I sort of understand. But hopefully that comes later. And also speeding it up because it's rather slow (don't load it during the opening movie of a game it goes all over the place :p)

Gowans

Private Hoffman said:
Why would Platinum trophies be horrendous?

The fact you only get one when you get all the other trophies, comparing it to achievements in 360 games, some games require crazy amounts of pain and multiple playthroughs to get all the achievements and if the Trophy's take the same route getting the platinum's would be mare for masochists only.

TheBranca18 said:
He probably doesn't understand what the Platinum trophy is and how you get it.

I am wrong?

DenogginizerOS said:
Arcade of what?

there's only one game that has trophies right now, SSHD.

Gowans007 said:
The fact you only get one when you get all the other trophies, comparing it to achievements in 360 games, some games require crazy amounts of pain and multiple playthroughs to get all the achievements and if the Trophy's take the same route getting the platinum's would be mare for masochists only.

I am wrong?

I think devs, the good ones anyway, will take that into consideration and make the all reasonable. There's none in SSHD that seem like they will take many tries and cause frustration.

glaurung

I won't get around to updating until tomorrow, but here are some questions, some 2.4-specific, some not.

1. Can I play custom soundtracks off a Memory Stick Duo?
  2. If yes, is it somehow possible to attach album covers to the folders on the memory stick?
  3. How does PS3 attach the album covers to the audio files in the first place? Some clever XML?
Thanks in advance.

Gowans007 said:

I am wrong?

Isn't that a good thing?

A platinum trophy is awarded for the completion of all other trophies.

It's not like you have to get the platinum trophy if you don't want to go through all of that...

It is for masochists.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think it's starting to happen..I think I'm becoming a trophy whore. I'm checking my level now with every unlock.

I think it's really obvious what Sony needs to do here wrt Home. This could get dangerous..

Gowans

akachan ningen said:
I think devs, the good ones anyway, will take that into consideration and make the all reasonable. There's none in SSHD that seem like they will take many tries and cause frustration.

yeah I think more measured approach will be needed, if they just copied and pasted the 360 ones it would be a real pain.

Private Hoffman said:
Isn't that a good thing?

A platinum trophy is awarded for the completion of all other trophies.

It's not like you have to get the platinum trophy if you don't want to go through all of that...

It is for masochists.

Well it depends on how you look at it, Sony is bringing a new indicator for a completing all achievements/full game and as I said if some people feel they need to get all these then the way some have been implemented with acheievements it could really put people off so I really hope devs think about this a little more.

It;s great to see so many people excited about Trophy's and surly Sony will want to keep this up without turning people off with grinding and impossible to achieve Platinums, they can really learn a lot of lessons and not fall into the same pits as MS.

jkeeling

Has anyone tried streaming a custom soundtrack over the network into a game? You can do this with a media server on 360 it totally rocks, basically integrated your computer's itunes into any game.

xenix

When I press the PS button, the game pauses/stop. Do you guys have the same thing?

I've tried on Uncharted, MGS4, Heavenly Sword, F1 Championship & Resistance. Didn't have time to try on other games this morning, gotta go to work ya know.

SappYoda

What I dont get is why dev didn't patch more games with trophies already? I mean, Im sure that SSHD got an increase in sales just for being the first game with trophies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
akachan ningen said:
Give you clothes and furniture depending on your level?

Well, basically. More generally, unlockable items. Turn your Home avatar into a 'levelled' member of the PSN..turning Home into a MMO, a meta-MMO, if you like. Like WoW, but the quests are the games.

And, small touch, but I want a notification in the top right when I level up showing my own Home avatar with a WoW-style level up animation. I think that alone would rope a lot of people into Home.

They could tier objects to levels too. 'Mounts' would even be a possibility :lol

SappYoda said:
What I dont get is why dev didn't patch more games with trophies already? I mean, Im sure that SSHD got an increase in sales just for being the first game with trophies.

1. Short notice (just recently was available in the SDK).

2. It requires resources of team members to implement. So you will have to pull people off of projects to add trophies retroactively.

Personally, I don't really care so long as Trophies and Custom Soundtracks are required features for future games.

There's no reason they shouldn't be; there's no penalty for having them in terms of RAM.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
TTP said:
I noticed something. Whenever the in-game XMB forces a game to pause, scrolling through the icons is less smooth. With those games that just keep going, it's smooth as butter.
Afaik it's just game dependant. Overlaying the XMB would have a small GPU performance overhead, and depending on the game, there may be enough headroom left to avoid slowdown. IIRC 360 dashboard behaves similar too, just slowdown being more noticeable.

OS has no way of "forcing" a game to pause (as in, actually entering in-game pause menu), but games do have the option to detect PS button press and pause when it's pressed.

Tntnnbltn

jkeeling said:
Has anyone tried streaming a custom soundtrack over the network into a game? You can do this with a media server on 360 it totally rocks, basically integrated your computer's itunes into any game.
I would say not many people have tried, considering a grand total of 0 games currently support xmb custom soundtracks.

But no, you can't stream custom soundtracks. They will have to be stored on the hdd

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
If someone from DICE is reading this, let me state that you need to get the Trophy system in place for Battlefield: Bad Company ASAP. Thank you.

besada

Banned
xenix said:
When I press the PS button, the game pauses/stop. Do you guys have the same thing?

I've tried on Uncharted, MGS4, Heavenly Sword, F1 Championship & Resistance. Didn't have time to try on other games this morning, gotta go to work ya know.

Doesn't pause on Pixeljunk Monsters. In game music also non functional in that game.

Kolgar

Haven't downloaded the update yet--I was busy whoring for achievements on Burnout 360 last night, hehehe.

But glad to see the PS3-only people get a reward system. It's entirely optional whether you want to pursue all the trophies, of course, but I find that it encourages me to try different things and to spend more time with a game than I normally would. Instead of being a chore, I actually find myself enjoying my games more.

Welcome to the next level, gentlemen!

cedric69

nofi said:
Brilliant. Where can I buy your book?
In the same bookshop where I found your "Missing the point and not having anything interesting to add". It was an interesting read.
BoilersFan23 said:
If you remember, some developers at GAF (and insiders) posted about the recent firmware in development kits added trophies like one month ago. If you think many games will have trophies ready in one month, that's a bit crazy.
I'm not laying the blame on the developers. What you are stating adds injury to the insult. Sony announced this with a large advance, they are the platform holder, they should have done everything in order to launch the feature the correct way.
Forcing people to replay games and wait months to get trophies for games they have already completed is not the correct way. Whoever claims the opposite is working on some kind of agenda.
Private Hoffman said:
You have to program trophies into the games.

Since Sony didn't have the Trophy system up for about a year and a half, of course most games aren't going to be compatible yet. Ditto for custom soundtracks.

I can assure you, though, that a year from now when we're all playing Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Little Big Planet, etc etc...that all of these titles will support both and you won't care that some quirky launch title doesn't have trophies.

Sucks that they were a bit late, but damn, I'm absolutely loving 2.4 right now. I love how it simply overlays the gamescreen and loads up fast.

So damn slick.
I'm not claiming trophies are not a good thing, I'm against the way Sony handled their launch. With the large advance they and their developers have had, the current state of things is unexcusable. And saying "one year from now", again, is adding injury to the insult. Because we all know where these trophies have taken their inspiration, and that was a fully functional feature, on a different platform, three years ago.

cedric69

Metalmurphy said:

oO
o___O on a platform that supports and encourages online patching and games installation? You are damn right I was expecting it. There was no magic involved, only planning ahead. Which obviously didn't happen.

Tntnnbltn

besada said:
Really? That sucks. Any idea why?
Not 100% sure. I would say it's because of the extra memory required for the DLNA client, but that doesn't explain why you also can't play music from an external usb drive.

Tieno

akachan ningen said:
Maybe it uses too many resources. If not, they'll probably put it in a future update. One step at a time, even though that sucks.
Probably the best way to describe the PS3.

Loudninja

Game that supports trophies so far:
Super Stardust HD

Games that are going to support them with a patch soon:
Warhawk
Uncharted
Burnout
Pain
NovaStrike

Games that will launch with trophies
Resistance 2
PixelJunk Eden
MotorStorm 2
SOCOM
LittleBigPlanet
BioShock
Buzz: Quiz TV

Help me out here guys.

Edit: Thanks Nofi

nofi

Loudninja said:
Game that supports trophies so far:
Super Stardust HD

Games that are going to support them soon:
Warhawk
Uncharted
Burnout

Better list here.

Buzz: Quiz TV: will reportedly be patched on launch, Friday 4th.
Super Stardust HD: Patched.
Pain: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.
PixelJunk Eden: Will launch with Trophies.
Uncharted: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.
NovaStrike: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.
Warhawk: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.
Burnout Paradise: Definitely getting a Trophy patch.
Resistance 2: Will launch with Trophies.
MotorStorm 2: Will launch with Trophies.
fl0w: Apparently up for debate.
SOCOM: Will launch with Trophies.
LittleBigPlanet: Will launch with Trophies.
BioShock: Apparently getting a Trophy patch.

I've asked about Konami...

cedric69 said:
In the same bookshop where I found your "Missing the point and not having anything interesting to add". It was an interesting read.

HOHOHO.

karasu

cedric69 said:
o___O on a platform that supports and encourages online patching and games installation? You are damn right I was expecting it. There was no magic involved, only planning ahead. Which obviously didn't happen.

lol

Top Bottom