• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.40 - Out Not!

So is it safe to say that no one has trophies as of yet? I mean we are basically having to wait for old games to get patched before we can have trophies? And new games coming out in the immediate future aren't trophy compatible then?

E-phonk

Banned
Solideliquid said:
So is it safe to say that no one has trophies as of yet? I mean we are basically having to wait for old games to get patched before we can have trophies? And new games coming out in the immediate future aren't trophy compatible then?

SuperStardust HD has trophies.

kay

PuMa said:
Yeah, I know about the in-LOBBY XMB, which was a step in the right direction. However, I assumed that 2.40 would let us use the XMB while actually in a tourney/game. If it actually doesnt, that sucks.
It does, but not during the mini lobby after you finish a shot. On the actual course you can do it though, which is strange.

Tntnnbltn

Solideliquid said:
Super Stardust HD has already been patched.
I've already trophy-whored it. kittonwy-indifferent.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tieno said:
Probably the best way to describe the PS3.
And here we were, thinking custom soundtrack, trophies, in-game xmb and the clock... all in the same thing.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
cedric69 said:
Forcing people to replay games and wait months to get trophies for games they have already completed is not the correct way. Whoever claims the opposite is working on some kind of agenda.
Whoever claims people are "forced" to replay games is working on some kind of agenda.

cedric69

kaching said:
Whoever claims people are "forced" to replay games is working on some kind of agenda.
"Forcing people to replay games in order to get trophies that should already have been awarded automatically to them" sounds better to you? :rolleyes:

gcubed

wait people magically expect a feature that has been in developers hands for a month to be retroactively patched into all previous games and available at launch of the firmware?

Some people are so transparent in their trolling/stupidity.

Dragon

Banned
cedric69 said:
Forcing people to replay games and wait months to get trophies for games they have already completed is not the correct way.

Well it wouldn't be, but no one is forcing people to replay games. I assume you know a way of going back in time and having the developers add trophies and work with an SDK that had support for them?

Whoever claims the opposite is working on some kind of agenda.

Oh cool. You're the motherfucking king of England aren't you? You sure act that way.

I'm not claiming trophies are not a good thing,

Have you said one positive thing about them?

I'm against the way Sony handled their launch. With the large advance they and their developers have had, the current state of things is unexcusable. And saying "one year from now", again, is adding injury to the insult.

Sony never said that in the first place, and they sure haven't said it in regards to this update.

Because we all know where these trophies have taken their inspiration, and that was a fully functional feature, on a different platform, three years ago.

It was not three years ago. And the situation isn't the same.

Now quit shitting up this thread.

cedric69 said:
"Forcing people to replay games in order to get trophies that should already have been awarded automatically to them" sounds better to you? :rolleyes:

It sucks, but it's the only way to prevent save-trading to get trophies.

cedric69 said:

*downloads 100% Resistance save*
*boots Resistance*
"Platinum Trophy awarded."

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.

Loudninja

cedric69 said:

Wow, forcing?No on is forcing you to do anything,is your choice pursuit hose trophies.
wait people magically expect a feature that has been in developers hands for a month to be retroactively patched into all previous games and available at launch of the firmware?

Some people are so transparent in their trolling/stupidity.

So true.

tha_con

Banned
cedric69 said:

God, the village crazies are already out!

Here's a pro tip, genius: If all trophies were retro-active, then users could simply snag up a save file from GameFAQs and get all of the trophies free of charge.

Think about it for a minute, then come back with your tail between your legs.

GQman2121

Banned
I think developers should be patching games that no one really liked when they first came out - ie: Lair, Kane & Lynch, and so on......

I would force my self to whore out and finally finish K&L if it meant that I could get some silverware for the pain. :(

theBishop

Banned
I tried 2.4 briefly this morning before I left for work and had two problems:

#1: NO SOUND... WTF!? I'm not sure what's happening, but I'm not hearing any sound. My 60GB PS3 uses the usual stereo connectors for audio.

#2: Super Stardust won't update. It detects the new version, and then says "Please Wait". A few seconds later, the PS3 beeps and restarts.

Not a great first impression... on the other hand, XMB overlays nicely over Everyday Shooter.

Tideas

Banned
tha_con said:

Here's a pro tip, genius: If all trophies were retro-active, then users could simply snag up a save file from GameFAQs and get all of the trophies free of charge.

I don't get it. Post like this confuses me. Again, I state, what does it matter what other people do with their spare time and energy in that it does not (so far) indirectly or directly afffects you?

Why does it matter if someone "cheated" and got 10 bazillion platinum if it doesn't affect you?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
cedric69 said:
I see you're still reading nofi's "Missing the Point..." book.

If you bought games for a platform that had no central trophy/achievement tracking service at the time, had no guarantee of getting one in the future and provided no guarantee that, if such a service materialized, they would retroactively record all of your awards to the new central service - if you bought games for such a platform and went ahead and played through the games in light of all this, then you can't convincingly argue that centralized recording of such achievements/awards was really all that important to you.

As such, making any sort of fuss about being "forced" to play games again is the most insipid kind of overdramatic agenda, not even accounting for the fundamental fact that these are JUST GAMES in the first place and that no perspective rooted in reality would ever try to suggest someone was FORCED to play a game unless it involved something like they or their loved ones being held at gunpoint to do so.

_leech_ said:
*downloads 100% Resistance save*
*boots Resistance*
"Platinum Trophy awarded."

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea.
the question is what is more important, not playing thru a game, knowing that you earned your trophies, or playing thru again because you care that someone else didn't earn theirs...

Woo-Fu

Banned
Tideas said:
Why does it matter if someone "cheated" and got 10 bazillion platinum if it doesn't affect you?

How then do you explain the ability to compare trophies between multiple accounts?

If there is no reason to compare then there would be no point in Sony of putting in that fuctionality.

Couldn't devs come out with a patch that locks your save to your ID(like burnout) and THEN do a patch that make the trophies retroactive? That would make everyone happy, but it's a pain in the ass for them. I think they all have better things they could be doing.

Philthy

Tideas said:

Because gaming has been competitive since day one. The entire point behind trophies and achievements, gamer points, etc is an evolution of that.

Loudninja

Tideas said:
I don't get it. Post like this confuses me. Again, I state, what does it matter what other people do with their spare time and energy in that it does not (so far) indirectly or directly afffects you?

Wow, you missed the whole point of the trophy system...

Moray

akachan ningen said:
Couldn't devs come out with a patch that locks your save to your ID(like burnout) and THEN do a patch that make the trophies retroactive? That would make everyone happy, but it's a pain in the ass for them. I think they all have better things they could be doing.

Yep, all this stuff takes time (both to modify the original code and test it). It's probably hard for developers--who are mostly under pressure to meet tight deadlines on new games--to go back to old ones.

jjasper

Tideas said:

We still don't know everything about trophies. If Sony is going to reward people with higher levels (whether in Home or elsewhere) they are going to have to prevent people from cheating.

Gremmie4

tha_con said:

I think he does have a fair point though about retroactive trophies. I have beat MGS4 twice in the last few weeks, and am about to beat it a third time. If I have to replay those runs to unlock trophies I should have already earned, I'll be disappointed. Obviously Sony knew they were doing trophies, and they probably knew they would be linked to your PSN ID a while ago. Sony should have been on all the devs asses making sure they were locking their save files to PSN id's, that way once the trophy system did come out, games could be relatively easily patched to reward people for stuff they have already done.

Now, with that all said, I'm hoping Sony done exactly that. Burnout was released a while ago, and it is retroactively rewarding players. So hopefully Sony was telling devs a while ago to lock their saves to PSN id's so this transition can be easier.

Tideas said:

Sony added trophies because some gamers want that competitive meta game in their gaming okay? If they take out that incentive by letting people cheat to get trophies, then it defeats the whole purpose of putting it in doesn't it? it wouldn't be an incentive anymore.

cedric69

tha_con said:

Quite frankly I care about achievements and trophies more for keeping track of *my* achievements, rather than for engaging in e-penis competitions. Your mileage may vary.

DarkJC

Tideas said:

Half of the allure of a system like this is that it's nice to compare trophies against someone else and KNOW that they earned every one of those trophies, not just glitched them with 2 seconds of effort. It's all about comparing on a level playing field.

Tideas

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
How then do you explain the ability to compare trophies between multiple accounts?

If there is no reason to compare then there would be no point in Sony of putting in that fuctionality.

Because the ability to compare between multiple accounts is there just for a friendly competition between you and a PSN friends?

It is even more absurd that some random strangers having a bazillion platinum trophies will obscure a person from having less fun when playing their games.

Sure, when these trophies actually reward players with stuff, then it matters. But as of this point, it doesn't.

So why are ppl so anal about the trophy cheating?

cedric69 said:
Quite frankly I care about achievements and trophies more for keeping track of *my* achievements, rather than for engaging in e-penis competitions. Your mileage may vary.

If that's true, then why do you even want trophies? you already know what you accomplished in your games, mr. brainpower. Why do you need a little picture to remind you of what you already know?

Dragon

Banned
cedric69 said:

You're not serious with this post are you Stephen A?

cedric69

kaching said:
not even accounting for the fundamental fact that these are JUST GAMES in the first place and that no perspective rooted in reality would ever try to suggest someone was FORCED to play a game unless it involved something like they or their loved ones being held at gunpoint to do so.
You know, it's funny, by the same token 99% of the discussion on GAF shouldn't be happening. Games are so unimportant to you? Why are you spending time discussing them on a forum, then?
And please, quit stressing the "forced to replay them" argument, I already clarified what I meant (not that it needed clarification, but I did it just the same).

MattNY

Do people actually care if someone gets a trophey without earning it? If their lives are that pathetic that they would do that, then let them have their moment in the sun. I couldn't care less.

cedric69

akachan ningen said:
If that's true, then why do you even want trophies? you already know what you accomplished in your games, mr. brainpower. Why do you need a little picture to remind you of what you already know?
For the same reason people collect comic books, post stamps, butterflies, whatever? As a memento of good things happened? Because I plan on playing games ten years from now, and by then I would like to look at my player profile (or my Home) and go back with memory to the good times of the past?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
akachan ningen said:
How would that stop someone from grabbing a 100% complete savegame file before the ID lock occurs? If it's not already ID locked from the moment you start the game, there's potential to cheat the system.

Top Bottom