• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 2.40 - Out Not!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Some of the rumors are that the trophy level will eventually play a role in other areas, such as Home and perhaps by giving benefits and freebies.

So a retroactive system for some 100 games would destroy the balance going forward.

On a side note, I earned a few trophies on Stardust, really cool. But I could not tell what the sound is, with all the shooting and blowing up going on.

And can we turn off the clock? I don't particularly like it.

And when can we see more options for the notification board? I now have nearly 100 friends, and I want to see when I receive messages, but in prime time, with that many friends I get the logged on/off messages every few seconds and its quite distracting.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
MattNY said:
Do people actually care if someone gets a trophey without earning it? If their lives are that pathetic that they would do that, then let them have their moment in the sun. I couldn't care less.
Well, Sony and MS do.

MS punishes cheaters, we'll see what Sony does.

MattNY said:
Do people actually care if someone gets a trophey without earning it? If their lives are that pathetic that they would do that, then let them have their moment in the sun. I couldn't care less.

You people don't seem to understand that Sony put this in because people like to be competitive with each other. If that incentive is gone, the feature is worthless. They are hoping this will lead to sales, and based on SSHD it will. But that won't happen if everyone is cheating. Use your heads, people.

cedric69 said:
For the same reason people collect comic books, post stamps, butterflies, whatever? As a memento of good things happened. Because I plan on playing games ten years from now, and by then I would like to look at my player profile (or my Home) and go back with memory to te good times of the past.

People forget worthless memories precisely because they're worthless. You might remember that time you stayed up til 4am finally getting big boss rank in GMS4, ten years from now. But you'd probably forget about getting halfway through some random game and getting a trophy for it. Everything important stays with you, unless you're some kind of mental defective.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
cedric69 said:
You know, it's funny, by the same token 99% of the discussion on GAF shouldn't be happening. Games are so unimportant to you? Why are you spending time discussing them on a forum, then?
And please, quit stressing the "forced to replay them" argument, I already clarified what I meant (not that it needed clarification, but I did it just the same).
Just because games are fluff doesn't mean you have talk about them like a drama queen. Argue the point realistically or you'll get called on it, just like in 99% of the discussion on GAF. :)

Philthy

MattNY said:

Tideas said:
It is even more absurd that some random strangers having a bazillion platinum trophies will obscure a person from having less fun when playing their games.

I think you both need some morning coffee or something.

Imagine going into a video game arcade and being able to put your name at the number 1 spot on every single game and pinball machine. It would be absurd that anyone would even care about that, because it doesn't affect their enjoyment actually playing the game. Right?

Sorry, no. Gaming is competitive. Always has been. Always will be.

jonabbey

MattNY said:

It's competitive, man. Why do people care that the refs make appropriate calls in the superbowl? Are their lives that pathetic?

Yes. Yes, they are.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
2.4 = secks amirite? :D

It was nice playing last night, and constantly messaging with friends and adding friends and accepting friend requests. Haze 4 player coop rocks F*ckTW

Tideas

Banned
Philthy said:
I think you both need some morning coffee or something.

Imagine going into a video game arcade and being able to put your name at the number 1 spot on every single game and pinball machine. It would be absurd that anyone would even care about that, because it doesn't affect their enjoyment actually playing the game. Right?

Sorry, no. Gaming is competitive. Always has been. Always will be.

Only difference. So far, there's no "trophy" leaderboard. You only compare with your friends. Maybe when there is a trophy leaderboard, you might have a point

JB1981

andydumi said:
Some of the rumors are that the trophy level will eventually play a role in other areas, such as Home and perhaps by giving benefits and freebies.

So a retroactive system for some 100 games would destroy the balance going forward.

On a side note, I earned a few trophies on Stardust, really cool. But I could not tell what the sound is, with all the shooting and blowing up going on.

And can we turn off the clock? I don't particularly like it.

And when can we see more options for the notification board? I now have nearly 100 friends, and I want to see when I receive messages, but in prime time, with that many friends I get the logged on/off messages every few seconds and its quite distracting.
Yes. They really need to look into changing the notification system. There should be a sound and visually it should look a little different imo

Tom Penny

This is the worste update ever. I deleted all my save files so now I can't get any trophies. What a stupid update. Now I have to beat the games again....

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Allright, folks, I updated without any major problems. If anyone wants to add me to their PSN friends list, PM me, and when you send your invite, send a note telling me you're from GAF. My puny friends list needs to grow now... :D

Erebus

After spending some time earning some trophies and messing with the new features, all I can say is that I love FW2.40. It's definitely the best update so far. Now all I need is more games to support trophies and custom soundtracks.:D

The only issue I ran into was the Super Stardust HD update. It restarted two times before downloading the patch eventually.

Oh and why people bitch so much about the clock? It was you that wanted Sony to include it.:lol

STG

something new in the Update (I think)

when you use the browser, press the PS button and go to music and press start on a playlist, it's starts playing and also automatically switches back to the browser. Wasn't there before I think

and if you press the PS button in situations where you are not allowed to do it (like when you browse your bookmark list) a new Icon appears on the top right corner that you are not allowed to do it :F

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Damnit, they really should have left that option from devkit firmware that just forces custom soundtrack onto every game. Maybe leave it off by default, maybe associate some warning to it or whatever, but they should have left that in.

carlosp

Banned
the clock os on the wrong side because everytime you wanna check the clock and call the xmb you need to wait until the baterry status disappears. that sux and i want to have freeform ps3 skins sony :)

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Marconelly said:
Damnit, they really should have left that option from devkit firmware that just forces custom soundtrack onto every game. Maybe leave it off by default, maybe associate some warning to it or whatever, but they should have left that in.

nah because the music just would have played over everything and people would have bitched that they can't hear soundeffects. I would rather devs patch for it and do it properly then just blasting music over the game.

Tom Penny

Random question. I was messing around with the internet browser yesterday. Is there a way to download flash players / media players to the PS3. I know youtube works but alot of sites that use media players or quicktime cannot be viewed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Tideas said:
Only difference. So far, there's no "trophy" leaderboard. You only compare with your friends. Maybe when there is a trophy leaderboard, you might have a point
Well, it IS coming. Reward for trophies, and possibly a leaderboard.

Why allow for cheaters now and not later?

Dang, if you don't want want to replay a game for trophies, DON'T.
Trophies are meaningless right?

faust666

While I can appreciate some of you gamers' needs for trophy competition I also lament that it has to come at the expense of losing the ability to download game saves, which I felt was one of the better bullet points of the HDD/online generation.

I haven't needed to use the feature yet, but I dread the day I lose an 80% complete save due to hardware failure, or some game bug prevents me from progressing further because it overwrote my save game after the bug occurred, and there's no where to D/L a save file because they're all tied to someone's system.

tanod

when is my burrito
Tom Penny said:
This is the worste update ever. I deleted all my save files so now I can't get any trophies. What a stupid update. Now I have to beat the games again....

Well that was stupid. Why the hell did you do that? Even for the older games getting trophies, they'll have nothing to do with achievements or trophies already in the game.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
So is SSHD the only game to support trophies at this point?

--I'm glad I dont pass games, but I do have a lot of them I wouldnt mind starting over to get my level up

JB1981

carlosp said:
the clock os on the wrong side because everytime you wanna check the clock and call the xmb you need to wait until the baterry status disappears. that sux and i want to have freeform ps3 skins sony :)
yea, this is why they need to change the notification system. they always overlook the minor details these guys i swear

No_Style

Tom Penny said:
Random question. I was messing around with the internet browser yesterday. Is there a way to download flash players / media players to the PS3. I know youtube works but alot of sites that use media players or quicktime cannot be viewed.

Nope. It needs a specially compiled version of the Flash player. Somebody once said something about the SDK being out of date, which is why there hasn't been a more recent version of the Flash player provided for the PS3 browser.

Blame!

got the firmware last night and installed it.

rather anticlimatic since i dont have SSD or warhawk and it seems none of my friends were online for me to msg anyway :lol

bring out the support for this bitch sony!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
faust said:
While I can appreciate some of you gamers' needs for trophy competition I also lament that it has to come at the expense of losing the ability to download game saves, which I felt was one of the better bullet points of the HDD/online generation.

I haven't needed to use the feature yet, but I dread the day I lose an 80% complete save due to hardware failure, or some game bug prevents me from progressing further because it overwrote my save game after the bug occurred, and there's no where to D/L a save file because they're all tied to someone's system.

umm, why don't you just back them up to a flash drive? And most save files are not tied to a specific PSN ID.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
g35twinturbo said:
nah because the music just would have played over everything and people would have bitched that they can't hear soundeffects. I would rather devs patch for it and do it properly then just blasting music over the game.
Almost every game lets you turn the music volume down separately from sound effects. Also, the little music contrller lets you control the volume of custom soundtrack music separately. It would be a complete non-issue for 90% of games.

Blame! said:
got the firmware last night and installed it.

rather anticlimatic since i dont have SSD
There's your first mistake. Buy SSDHD nao!

Jim

Since everyone else is whining about little issues, let me toss in mine: I hate that the Sixaxis battery/charge icon overlays my precious XMB clock for a second :lol

Oh, and they need to change the friend notification to "X Friends Online" if there are more than a few.

I think I spent more time messaging people than playing games.

KZObsessed

So I downloaded the 2.4 firmware and theres awful "?" icons all over the place. I guess the custom themes are gonna have to be updated! :lol

Gonna play Super Stardust HD now :D

The In-Game XMB is pretty slick--seems to 'refresh' at about half the normal rate but is still just as responsive. Damn the need for patched games for custom soundtracks, though.

Any hidden updates since I don't give a hoot about trophies?

Top Bottom