• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 firmware 3.15

JimFear

Banned
i wonder what sony is waiting for... I guess most of the ps3 owner are still waiting for ZE UPDATE with the cross game chat. Anyway, i think the addition of the playing psp mini on ps3 is welcome :)

suikodan

Nice update, now if we could get more interesting Minis, that would be even nicer.

Come on iPhone developpers, get us some ports! :D

JimFear

Banned
Since these games are specially made for psp, it will not have trophies and sony said that the psp mini will not have "online" feature too

AndyD

aka andydumi
Blablurn said:
yeah, sounds pretty good @ psp mini's. i can see myself buying some.

What mini's are there and are they any good? Not having a PSP, I never really worried about them.

And I hope they will bring individual game save transfer later. Say play downstairs a game, move upstairs, transfer over the game save, play on that PS3, then go back down, transfer the save, play some more. As long as you are on the same LAN I think this should work eventually.

Oni Jazar

AndyD said:
Hmm, could it be game save sync if you have more than one PS3 in the house? First step towards cloud game saving?

I'd love this but this doesn't sound anything like that or even a step in that direction.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
AndyD said:
What mini's are there and are they any good? Not having a PSP, I never really worried about them.

And I hope they will bring individual game save transfer later. Say play downstairs a game, move upstairs, transfer over the game save, play on that PS3, then go back down, transfer the save, play some more. As long as you are on the same LAN I think this should work eventually.

some games allow that, I remember doing that with worms.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
suikodan said:
Come on iPhone developpers, get us some ports! :D

If you think the iPhone games are any good, you should pick up an iPod touch and if you don't think they're any good, the ports won't be any better :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Goldrusher said:
• PSP minis playable on PS3

Sweetness!

Not as good as full PSP emu obviously, but I guess they were able to build PS3 playability into their licensing terms for minis more easily.

This is another maybe easier avenue for indies to get games onto PS3 too.

I hope this opens the door to full PSP support. This is a good step in the right direction.

(Also, on a side note, I think it's pretty awesome how Sony's kept bringing up new stuff right up to the very end of the year - the modnation beta, the gt5 trial demo, new - pretty substantial - firmware etc. Good going.)

edit - also note how they no longer refer to them as 'PSP' minis. Just 'minis' now. First common software platform twixt PS3 and PSP.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
AndyD said:

or just cloud saving which being that you would have to be network connected to do that would probably be a much better idea.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sweet, its an optional update too, so no disruption to online stuff if you aren't fussed about the new features.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Clear said:
Sweet, its an optional update too, so no disruption to online stuff if you aren't fussed about the new features.

Most if not all Slim owners are affected by the controller bluetooth issue, so i wonder why they made this optional..??

inner-G

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
If you think the iPhone games are any good, you should pick up an iPod touch and if you don't think they're any good, the ports won't be any better :p
At least these will have tangible buttons.

bryehn

JimFear said:
Since these games are specially made for psp, it will not have trophies and sony said that the psp mini will not have "online" feature too

Yeah that's why small games like Thexder Neo, Creature Defense and Beta Bloc aren't classified as minis. I think it's ANY wireless play, ad-hoc or infrastructure.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if some devs will start targetting the minis platform (instead of just PSN) given their playability on both pieces of hardware. Like folks who might have made simple little PSN games for PS3 might retarget them to the minis profile instead.

Rolf NB

Until this, categorizing the PSP games off into Minis and real games didn't make any sense to me. They've essentially created a section to safely skip over when I check out a store update. I understand the changed QA process, but that's internal details. You don't need to present a Minis section on the store to express a development difference. They could've let the games differentiate on price points alone.

I'm still not sure I'll grab Minis. They seem so basic, especially when you want to run them on a PS3. Even the pure puzzle games on PSN tend to have a lot of bells and whistles.

gofreak said:
Sweetness!

Not as good as full PSP emu obviously, but I guess they were able to build PS3 playability into their licensing terms for minis more easily.

This is another maybe easier avenue for indies to get games onto PS3 too.

I hope this opens the door to full PSP support. This is a good step in the right direction.

(Also, on a side note, I think it's pretty awesome how Sony's kept bringing up new stuff right up to the very end of the year - the modnation beta, the gt5 trial demo, new - pretty substantial - firmware etc. Good going.)

edit - also note how they no longer refer to them as 'PSP' minis. Just 'minis' now. First common software platform twixt PS3 and PSP.
Yeah, I think this does get the foot in the door for full PSP support - since that's got a big back catalog to deal with, I'm sure the licensing terms are a lot more complicated to work out (some people will want a separate sale if you want to play it on your PSP and your PS3, et cetera, and Sony will need to discourage them). If the PSP/PS3 minis thing works out well, it'll be another selling point that Sony has and a good proof of concept - though if it's possible, and this more or less shows that it is (and there's no reason to think it isn't), PSP backwards compatibility has plenty of financial incentives already.

Oh god what if War of the Lions played without slowdown on the PS3!

KurowaSan

I'd see myself buying full PSP games if they were also playable on the PS3. I guess PSP minis is a good start, but they should be going all the way with PSP emulation.
I already own a PSP and I've been thinking of getting a PSP Go so, as a PS3 owner, if I had the chance to buy regular PSP games playable on both systems just like PS1 games, I wouldn't think twice, I'd be a happy PSP Go owner.

SmokyDave

°°ToMmY°° said:
isn't thexder neo a psp minis?
I NEED to know this! I want to play it on my TV!

It was lumped under the minis category in the store but in the XMB on the 'Go', the icon is a full PSP icon, not the smaller bordered minis icon. I don't think it will be classed as a mini for the purposes of this emulation.

KillerAJD

bcn-ron said:
Until this, categorizing the PSP games off into Minis and real games didn't make any sense to me. They've essentially created a section to safely skip over when I check out a store update. I understand the changed QA process, but that's internal details. You don't need to present a Minis section on the store to express a development difference. They could've let the games differentiate on price points alone.

I'm still not sure I'll grab Minis. They seem so basic, especially when you want to run them on a PS3. Even the pure puzzle games on PSN tend to have a lot of bells and whistles.
Whatever, it now means the PS3 will have a version of Tetris, and I love tetris!

slider

Sin said:
I mean during the complete transfer from PS3 to PS3... (-_ -

Ahh yeah, thanks. The dude Los Daddies(?) didn't specify how he'd be getting his save game across to his bro's PS3 though - I know what you meant, hope he does too!

Cheers.

Goldrusher

Burai said:
Seriously. I want Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and PowerStone Collection upscaled on my TV already.
PSP<----USB---->PS3<----->TV

That would be nice. Why can't they add that ? With DS3 controls of course.
It's possible with homebrew (replace PS3 with PC), so surely Sony can do it too ?

Baha

badcrumble said:
Yeah, I think this does get the foot in the door for full PSP support - since that's got a big back catalog to deal with, I'm sure the licensing terms are a lot more complicated to work out (some people will want a separate sale if you want to play it on your PSP and your PS3, et cetera, and Sony will need to discourage them). If the PSP/PS3 minis thing works out well, it'll be another selling point that Sony has and a good proof of concept - though if it's possible, and this more or less shows that it is (and there's no reason to think it isn't), PSP backwards compatibility has plenty of financial incentives already.

Oh god what if War of the Lions played without slowdown on the PS3!

I heard that even running it off the memory stick didn't fix the slowdown. Doubt that running it off a hard drive would fix it.

Baha said:
I heard that even running it off the memory stick didn't fix the slowdown. Doubt that running it off a hard drive would fix it.
I don't know about that, I think that the PS3 would be able to decompress it a whole lot faster than the PSP.

El-Suave

gofreak said:
I wonder if some devs will start targetting the minis platform (instead of just PSN) given their playability on both pieces of hardware. Like folks who might have made simple little PSN games for PS3 might retarget them to the minis profile instead.

They'd miss out on the selling point of Trophy support, which I think is quite strong.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
El-Suave said:
They'd miss out on the selling point of Trophy support, which I think is quite strong.

It should be easy enough to provide a library that detects what platform the software is being run on and enable or disable certain features accordingly.

I don't think that is in place yet but it should be possible.

rvy

Banned
kadotsu said:
FUDGE YEAH!!!1!

335dab742b3343ff91ca3ae3732b0976.gif
:lol :lol :lol

Look at their fucking skirts! That's smart resource sparing, right there!

MrPliskin

Banned
I am kind of disappointed to see that they don't have a better solution for backing up save data onto an external data source.

They need to make a tool that will encrypt the data as one large file, link it to the PSN account, this way people can't share game saves. I really need to see this happen. The new method is nice, but it's still not "nice enough".

If they've gone and made a PSP emulator for PS3, why not allow people to play full PSP games on it?

They'll greatly improve the sales of their full games!

gofreak said:
It should be easy enough to provide a library that detects what platform the software is being run on and enable or disable certain features accordingly.

I don't think that is in place yet but it should be possible.
I think Sony's more likely to just save that stuff for PSP2. If you can transfer saves back and forth between platforms, and one of the platforms is insecure and has CWCheat... you're better off not including trophies on EITHER platform.

Crisis

Banned
I have to wonder why they released a PSP emulator that only works for the minis but not for all the PSP games. It's almost certainly got to be licensing issues. Not all of the UMD games are even available on the store because of it.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I just showed up to point out that Sony's found another potential backdoor here.

First, they couldn't get Netflix native so they used BD-Java or whatever to get around that.

Now they've supposedly got Pac-man Championship Edition coming to the PSP as a Mini. And then that'll work on the PS3 through this little update.

If it pans out that way for PSP/PS3 Pac-man CE then ... very clever!

(Background: Pac-man CE was supposedly locked up tight to prevent it from being on other consoles.)

MrPliskin

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
If they've gone and made a PSP emulator for PS3, why not allow people to play full PSP games on it?

They'll greatly improve the sales of their full games!

I assume they are testing the waters.

Also, aren't most minis based on flash or something similar? I don't think it's actually a "PSP Emulator" rather, both the PSP and PS3 are capable of running minis, but minis are not the same as full fledged PSP hardware*.

*I really don't know, just assuming here.

Top Bottom