• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 3.21 (The Penguin Killing Firmware) is out

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Willenium said:
glad Sony is finally trimming the Nerdo Bullshit that corrupts the PS3 community. ADIOS, GEEKS. :D
Have you met Dragona? :p

Seriously guys, gloating about a feature being removed? That's just asking for trouble. :lol

Oozinator

Banned
Won't update. Will buy a new Slim and keep my launch 60GB PS3 non-updated in the hope for a major hack to be released then resell it for major profits.

missile

Some interesting links in here;

rapso -- ps2dev.org said:
ragnarok2040 said:
If you live in the US, contact your state's AG to investigate into the matter as well as your representative. Yet another Japanese-based company acting suspicously would make a good story in the media, as well. After all, they've gone after Illusion and Toyota.
(I posted this already in sony's blog, but it got censored *hehe*)

So in case you're not US, but EU, just follow the link http://ec.europa.eu/competition/forms/consumer_form_en.html
It's free, simple and powerful. Just fill in the form and send it.

What should you claim? simply
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraud
selling counterfeit goods which are not what they claim to be, e.g., designer clothing, fake works of art, archaeological objects, etc.
Your PS3 suppose to support linux and all PS3 games? well, you paid for that, but one of those will not work today on.
false advertising
on playstationlinux you can still read that the PS3 supports more than just all PS3 games, blue ray hd, dvds etc. it also supports Linux says sony. (With no linux, I could have bought a cheaper X360, which had more features at the beginning like in-game mp3 playing. was cheaper and had earlier HD movie renting).

I don't think this is about Japanese companys. It's rather about some management decision without the care of customer's rights.

lupinko

Oozinator said:
Won't update. Will buy a new Slim and keep my launch 60GB PS3 non-updated in the hope for a major hack to be released then resell it for major profits.

2wmgydd.gif

RaGe_pt

Downloaded it today in the morning. Wasn't going to install linux anyway so it wasn't that big of a deal to me.

androvsky

keyrat said:
Has anyone installed it who actually had Linux installed? Does it wipe it or what?

As far as I can tell, all it does is remove the menu entries for installing OtherOS or booting into it. But since the PS3 uses an odd partition format, it'd be tough to put the drive in a PC and mount the linux partition, so it's effectively dead unless you can figure out the correct offset for the linux partition. I'd just put a fresh install of YDL on mine to play with the zerogame emulator project, so I didn't have anything to lose on the drive.

rager

Banned
Downloading now. Yellowdog was horrible on the PS3. I think sony just threw it in just to build up the PS3s feature lists. They offered no real support for the average user. Good riddance.

keyrat

androvsky said:
As far as I can tell, all it does is remove the menu entries for installing OtherOS or booting into it. But since the PS3 uses an odd partition format, it'd be tough to put the drive in a PC and mount the linux partition, so it's effectively dead unless you can figure out the correct offset for the linux partition. I'd just put a fresh install of YDL on mine to play with the zerogame emulator project, so I didn't have anything to lose on the drive.

I only just heard about the ZeroGame project this week. This is the one thing I wanted Linux support for, since launch, and I only came to discover the project now. Damnit.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
MidgarBlowedUp said:
So do I get a partial refund of my $599 or is this mission accomplished for the giant crab that is Sony?

You only paid for the hardware. The features were all free. Your deserved refund is $0. ;)

x3sphere

Dogenzaka said:
Did anybody post this yet?

http://www.ps3-hacks.com/2010/03/01/otheros-will-not-be-removed-from-non-slim-ps3-models/

If legit...this was stated:

March 1, 2010.

Interesting that they said that just a week or two before the announcement...?

Are we sure this removes Linux?

It removes OtherOS. That means you cannot install Linux or any other third-party operating system. Also, that response came from "SCE management." Without being attributed to any specific individual it's impossible to say if they even knew about this. The decision to remove it was obviously made by higher-ups at SCE.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
It might just be in my head, but in game Trophy comparison loading seems a lot faster in 3.21.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Dragona Akehi said:
Uh...that's sarcasm right? PS3 had printer support out of the box at US launch.
:lol Of course!

Someone really thinking printer support was added used to be a staple of PS3 FW threads. Those salad days....

dallow_bg said:
:lol Of course!

Someone really thinking printer support was added used to be a staple of PS3 FW threads. Those salad days....

Ok just making sure. Because someone said it sincerely in one of the 3.21 FW threads.

Should I really be concerned about this? Gaf can you educate me in two sentences? BTW I'm a casual gamer who has never thought of using another OS on my ps3.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
well , Uncharted 1 works normally again ( was broken "again" with FW3.15 for some unknown reasons but not like FW3.00 it was freezing and crashing all the time ) now it's fine again. ( and no it wasn't only me , 2 of my friends has the same problem with FW3.15 too )

Drastic

Thanks for pointing out the Logan 5 proxy tool BoboBrazil.

Works great, downloading Lost Planet demo now and still gots me linux.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Drastic said:
Thanks for pointing out the Logan 5 proxy tool BoboBrazil.

Works great, downloading Lost Planet demo now and still gots me linux.
Oh wow, had never heard of this, cool.

Drastic

For anyone who may have missed it:

BoboBrazil said:
also here is this to try

lfc [Moderator] 0 minutes ago
--------GUIDE ON HOW TO BYPASS THE FIRMWARE UPDATE BUT STILL PLAY ONLINE--------

*posted by me on *************

so far so good! LOGAN5's tool works great. im signed into PSN and it didnt ask me to update.. people had trouble with games but ill give a game a shot now, friends list, PSstore and all that works fine tho
DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/?mqizylznw2u
________________________________________________________________________________
run the LG5tool exe
click on the frimware update box so its checked
then click start proxy it will show you ur ip adress
go to ps3 and click network settings
click on internet connection settings
click on the custom method
click wireless or wired (what ever you are using)
#wireless only: click scan
#select ur wireless conection (ssid)
# confirm ur ssid(network name)
#select your security settings and fill out ur password and ursername
click automatic for "ip adress settings"
click do not set for "DHCP hst name"
click automatic for "dns settings"
click auto matic for "mtu"
click use for "proxy server"
type in your ip adress that shows in LG5tool itll be somthing like "192.168.x.xxx" (the x are numbers that are diffrent for every one for example mine is 192.168.1.110)
click enable for "upnp"
then test your conection
________________________________________________________________________________
REMEMBER TO UNCHECK THE FIRMWARE UPDATE BOX

dak1dsk1

Banned
I could imagine a pre-3.21 PS3 would be more valuable on Ebay: "The old unmodified model, with Linux support and PS2 BC!"

ALSO, can we stop calling this a "firmware upgrade"? It did nothing new, it just too features away. "Downgrade" is the correct term. (except for the printer support, which ROCKS!)

Just updated the firmware.

Not only did it remove the Other OS option, it also removed all sound.

60GB B/C PS3 connected to HDTV via HDMI.

I just watched Lost streamed to my PS3 from PC just prior to updating and the sound worked fine then. :\

No, but I can try it.

EDIT: Didn't work.

I've confirmed the TV is not on mute and that the volume is turned up. I've turned the PS3 on and off and also the TV on and off.

The firmware update killed my sound. ;_;

Schrade said:
I have every single firmware update. If need be I'll make a torrent out of 'em.
Given any thought to making that torrent? If nothing else, could you put up the last Spiderman font firmware?

I'm shocked at the hostility on the board shown towards people who like to keep what they've paid for.

I knew that people who cared about linux, or even SACD would be in the minority, but this is crazy. I worry that if firmware regression becomes possible it will be such a fringe interest I won't be able to hunt it down successfully. Plus I'd rather download a torrent seeded by someone here rather than someone I know nothing of.

I treat that 60GB like the gold she is. Heavy as a brick, loud as all hell. I don't use any of the nifty features new firmwares have added. I do use SACD. I do use the memory card slots. And I do use PS2 BC--through component as the PS2 outputs a pretty noisy (voltage-wise) signal that my scaler doesn't like. I've used Linux, and frankly, even if I'm not using it regularly I simply will not support having them remove it.

The only improvement the slim made IMHO was losing that terrible "chrome", and adding bitstream DTS-MA. I've got an equipment rack--don't really care about the reduced footprint frankly.

UPDATE:
Unplugged the HDMI cable from the HDTV and tried two or three other HDMI connections and they all outputted sound. Could the new firmware just not like that one HDMI slot? Unlikely. Perhaps if I plug it back into the original it will work as well.
Maybe an HDMI handshake issue or something that goofed up after the firmware update.

Glad to have sound again. :D

Dead Man

Willenium said:
glad Sony is finally trimming the Nerdo Bullshit that corrupts the PS3 community. ADIOS, GEEKS. :D
badcrumble said:
i decided to install the update because i'm not a big weeping slashdot nerd covered in cheeto dust
You two should get together or something.

Top Bottom