• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware 3.21 (The Penguin Killing Firmware) is out

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
3.21 is out. You can get it via System Update or you can download it on your PC and then transfer it to your PS3.

Installing the firmware will remove the Other OS option in fat PS3's. Installation is mandatory to access PSN and will be mandatory in future games/blu-ray movies (Apparently you can bypass the firmware check and log on to PSN by following this guide or by just changing your DNS setting to 67.202.81.137).

Changelog said:
IMPORTANT: If you update the PS3™ system by installing this system software, you will not be able to use an "Other OS". Carefully read the following information before choosing to update the PS3™ system.

An "Other OS" is an operating system that runs on the PS3™ system, such as Linux.
If you do not use an "Other OS" and do not plan to use one, then go ahead with the update.
If you do use an "Other OS" or might use one in the future, carefully read the following information before cancelling the update.

*Impact of installing this system software update

If you install this system software update, you will not be able to use an "Other OS". You will also not be able to use the data and hard disk partitions used by an "Other OS". Furthermore, the following menus related to an "Other OS" will be deleted.
•[Settings] > [System Settings] > [Install Other OS]
•[Settings] > [System Settings] > [Default System] (displayed only when an "Other OS" is installed)

If you are using an "Other OS", it is recommended that you perform the following steps before installing this update.
•Back up all date used by an "Other OS" and by the PS3™ system software to storage media.
•Go to [Settings] > [System Settings] > [Format Utility], select [Use All for the PS3™ System] and then format the hard disk installed in this system.

*Impact of using an "Other OS" without performing this update

If you do not update this system, you will not be able to do the following things from now on.
•Sign in to PlayStation®Network
•Use features that require you to be signed in to PlayStation®Network (such as chat features and the online features of PlayStation®3 format software)
•Use PlayStation®3 format software and Blu-ray Disc video titles that require system software version 3.21 or later
•Use new features and performance improvements provided with system software version 3.21 or later
•Use copyright-protected video on media servers after the DTCP-IP key is renewed (If DTCP-IP is enabled under [Settings] > [System Settings] > [Enable DTCP-IP])

Hints: How to check the usage status of an "Other OS"
If you do not know whether you have used an "Other OS", cancel the update and then check if [Default System] is displayed under [Settings] > [System Settings]. If [Default System] is displayed, an "Other OS" has been used.

Firmware is universal, so just use the server giving you the best speed.

Download Links: US | UK | EU | JP | AU | Korea | Mexico | Russia | Taiwan

MD5 Hash: 3a08ef6164a7770ae3e7d5b9f366437a

Remember to save the file under the proper folder:

ps_pc_update_clip_diagram_us.jpg

2chqc5x.jpg

To mark this occasion i'm going to download and install Debian onto a virtual machine. What other features or fixes does this update have, if any?

Moog

Neo Member
Wario64 said:
I'm not up to date on this firmware, but is it mandatory?

Unless I'm wrong, isn't it like every other firmware where you can't access the PSN if you don't upgrade?

EDIT: I guess it's better to get 5 replies than 0

Agent X

I'm downloading now, but apart from the removal of the OtherOS option, are there any actual enhancements that anyone would give a darn about?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Agent X said:
I'm downloading now, but apart from the removal of the OtherOS option, are there any actual enhancements that anyone would give a darn about?

What, they're enhancing the security of the PS3 by removing Other OS obviously!

DMPrince said:
they didn't even bother with a change log wtf is up with that shit sony.

They never do and it bugs the shit out of me. They only mention maybe one or two changes, but nothing else. I want details!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Agent X said:

Not that we know about.

Agent X

Moog said:
Unless I'm wrong, isn't it like every other firmware where you can't access the PSN if you don't upgrade?

There were one or two updates that were considered "optional" at the time they were originally released.

Animator

Wish it just did a check to see if you have a slim and didnt make you wait forever for the dl. It took like 15 min to dl the thing :(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Zombie James said:
They never do and it bugs the shit out of me. They only mention maybe one or two changes, but nothing else. I want details!

They ALWAYS do. Even if it's just "Improved stability" crap. This is exception.

they decided to show the whole "Install OS" talk after you are about to install. oh well. i still pray for Cross game chat in this :lol.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Moog said:

EDIT: I guess it's better to get 5 replies than 0
They changed the rules late last year and added optional firmwares for fw's that only fixed minor bugs people were experiencing in some games.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Moog said:

Not every firmware update has been mandatory, actually.

Cruzader

Banned
Whoever updates, look if they stealth added anything. Lets hope they will introduce something to replace their moronic decision.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I refuse to download a downgrading firmware. I've supported basically everything Sony has done with the PS3, but when it comes to downgrading my console by removing a feature I paid for, they can suck it. I don't give a shit about any cfw, but if it helps me keep my console from being downgraded I will gladly wait for it.

GSG Flash said:
I refuse to download a downgrading firmware. I've supported basically everything Sony has done with the PS3, but when it comes to downgrading my console by removing a feature I paid for, they can suck it. I don't give a shit about any cfw, but if it helps me keep my console from being downgraded I will gladly wait for it.

You use OtherOS?

youta

I asked this before, but no clear answers:

I don't use the PSN, and there's a very nice library of games already which will keep me occupied for a long, long time, so I'll just update to 3.15 and be done with it.

However, if I were to buy a game and it requires a firmware update, can I return it? Is there any way to tell what firmware version does a game need so I can check before I purchase it?

Also, am I right to assume that Blu-ray discs will continue to play, albeit without the latest and greatest "features"? I'm basing this assumption on the fact that other, non-upgradeable BD players should still be able to play the newer discs...

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
All this anti-piracy ensuring issue makes me wonder if they will reintegrate the OtherOS function in a later revision when they make the function stable and uncrackable.

womfalcs3

Banned
GSG Flash said:

If you don't install the new firmware, you won't use other more important features that you also paid for.

Online play, playability of future games that require the firmware, etc.. `

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Zombie James said:
"Improved stability" is as generic a description for an update as it gets, I don't think that counts.

But they do usually show a change log of sorts. That was my point. You said they never do it. Which is false.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Valkyr Junkie said:
You use OtherOS?

It doesn't matter if I use it or not, it's still a downgrade and a removal of a feature I paid for.

And as a matter of fact, I did have plans of installing Linux on the PS3 once this gen was over.

iammeiam

So if it's a mandatory revision, does that mean slim owners are going to get prompted to download an upgrade that does... nothing? I just turned my PS3 off for the night so I'm not going to try updating my slim yet, but there's something hilarious about the idea of a mandatory update that will seriously have 0 impact on me directly.

androvsky

No changelog at all? So someone that uses linux and hasn't checked gaming websites since Sunday will get royally screwed?

androvsky said:
No changelog at all? So someone that uses linux and hasn't checked gaming websites since Sunday will get royally screwed?
Once it is downloaded it tells you about the other OS removal, you still have the option to quit before it starts.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
MvmntInGrn said:
Once it is downloaded it tells you about the other OS removal, you still have the option to quit before it starts.

ah, I guess it doesn't tell on Slims (obviously). It didn't on mine.

Top Bottom