• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware Update (1.94 found in Ratchet & Clank)

Oni Jazar

There was a little bit of talk of this in the R&C thread but I believe this should have it's own discussion.

Apparently R&C comes with PS3 firmware 1.94 on the disc that can (must?) be installed prior to playing. The most apparent inclusion that this firmware provides is a rumble option on the PS button menu.

Hopefully all Playstation 3 users will get an update that includes not only a rumble option but much more. It's been long enough since Sony has added any significant firmware features and we all know that there are many features still left wanting. IMO, the system is in dire need of BD profile 1.1 or 2.0 support, cross game invites (XMB in game) and folders for game types (PSN, Demos, PS3, etc).

If anyone has R&C and can apply the update and go through their system settings to see if there are any new options or details available other then just rumble support we would be much obliged.

This OP will be updated as more information arrives from the (hopefully) soon to be online FW update.

theBishop

Banned
For people that do the update (i'll have it in a couple hours): I want to know if the rumble update works with Dualshock2 controllers via a USB adapter.

It would be nice to know I can get Ratchet and Uncharted (also, WarHawk, Resistance, ...) rumbling without importing.

Wollan

I think they may actually just skip releasing the 1.94 online as so far it sounds like just a rumble addition and the early rumble games come with it on the disc (and rather release 2.00 which of course also includes it). Just a guess (after all, 1.93 and 1.94 users are living happily together now on PSN).

dallow_bg

nods at old men
theBishop said:
For people that do the update (i'll have it in a couple hours): I want to know if the rumble update works with Dualshock2 controllers via a USB adapter.

It would be nice to know I can get Ratchet and Uncharted (also, WarHawk, Resistance, ...) rumbling without importing.
I agree. Someone try this please.

Though some of these games require sixaxis at some points.

Laurent

theBishop said:

Wowowowo... Are you saying you can play PS3 games using a PS2 controler? I... don't... think... so... ?_?

Oni Jazar

Wollan said:
I think they may actually just skip releasing the 1.94 online as so far it sounds like just a rumble addition and the early rumble games come with it on the disc (and rather release 2.00 which of course also includes it). Just a guess (after all, 1.93 and 1.94 users are living happily together now on PSN).

I pray that you are correct.

nofi

Wollan said:

Yup.

Maggot9

Banned
theBishop said:

someone in the official thread (i think it was a mod) said he would try this

tanod

when is my burrito
Wollan said:

You know. I think I agree with you as far as them not releasing 1.94 over the network and skipping it for a later version. It was odd because I was going through the FW download process and saw that my PSN friend notifications were still popping up. Usually, you will get logged out of PSN if you don't have the latest FW.

2.0 Lives!

I'll go through my options to see if anything else changed when I get home.

theultimo

tanod said:
You know. I think I agree with you as far as them not releasing 1.94 over the network and skipping it for a later version. It was odd because I was going through the FW download process and saw that my PSN friend notifications were still popping up. Usually, you will get logged out of PSN if you don't have the latest FW.

2.0 Lives!

I'll go through my options to see if anything else changed when I get home.
EDIT: New menu in XMB ingame. Wollan's idea is most likely correct:
100_0640.JPG

Bebpo

Banned
PS3 rumble is definitely different tech or at least implementation.

I'm sitting here playing a PS2 game on my PS3 through BC and the controller is rumbling like crazy (PS2 USB), yet booting up Ratchet or GT5p with rumble set on gives nothing.

JB1981 said:
When I get my imported DS3, will I be able to play all my PS2 games w/ rumble now?

Yes. You can already do that with PS2 controllers using USB adapters. The system sends out the normal rumble signal.

Bebpo said:

I'm sitting here playing a PS2 game on my PS3 through BC and the controller is rumbling like crazy (PS2 USB), yet booting up Ratchet or GT5p with rumble set on gives nothing.
One does not imply the other. All this means is that the OS isn't converting the calls. Could just be an oversight.

DrXym

Some kind of firmware update is going to have to appear in the next week if this Blu Ray compliance cutoff thing cannot be missed by Sony.

Whether it is 2.0 or not remains to be seen but I expect that the various firmware teams work off branches so they can fold individual features into a particular release. By now of course whatever firmware is coming out should be almost out of QA.

Erebus

Bebpo said:

Yeah same thing happened to me. PS2 games rumble normally when played with my Dual Shock 2 (via USB adaptor) but sadly rumble didn't work when I tried GT5P demo.

I guess it won't work on Motorstorm after tomorrow's update. :(

DrXym said:
Some kind of firmware update is going to have to appear in the next week if this Blu Ray compliance cutoff thing cannot be missed by Sony.

Whether it is 2.0 or not remains to be seen but I expect that the various firmware teams work off branches so they can fold individual features into a particular release. By now of course whatever firmware is coming out should be almost out of QA.

What's this about Blu Ray compliance? Is there something they have to do to keep the PS3 compliant with Blu Ray Standards?

Crisis

Banned
Wollan said:

That last sentence is very odd. Usually you have to have the newest firmware to do ANYTHING with the PSN. That makes me think that firmware 2 has to be coming soon - to unify all of the firmwares. I really don't understand why firmware 1.94 is only available on discs instead of through the updater.

Oni Jazar

DeejayKnight said:
What's this about Blu Ray compliance? Is there something they have to do to keep the PS3 compliant with Blu Ray Standards?

There are two new profile specifications that add new interactive features to the player. As of now there are no players that support this but the deadline for all newly manufactured players to include at least the final standard profile (1.1) is next week.

PS3 is probably excempt from the deadline because the product already exists, however it is believed that a FW will enable BD Profile 1.1 and 2.0 soon.

You can read the details here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Player_profiles

DrXym

DeejayKnight said:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/543

Whether that means new models of hardware launched after 31 October, or models sold after 31 October is another matter. I think some people assume that because the PS3 40Gb model is coming to the US at the start of November that it means it has to comply and support BD-J and other interactive features. And since the 40Gb model gets it, probably every PS3 gets it.

CSSer

Maybe the 30th, as that's when the new policy goes into effect.

>_< blah, it probably won't come out until next year.

tanod

when is my burrito
Oni Jazar said:
There are two new profile specifications that add new interactive features to the player. As of now there are no players that support this but the deadline for all newly manufactured players to include at least the final standard profile (1.1) is next week.

PS3 is probably excempt from the deadline because the product already exists, however it is believed that a FW will enable BD Profile 1.1 and 2.0 soon.

You can read the details here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Player_profiles

Good point but since the 40GB model is coming out on November 2nd, wouldn't that count as a new model and have to meet those requirements too?

not to derail too much, but what usb adapters are you guys using for your ps2 controllers? I use the pelican ones and have never got rumble when I play ps2 games....hmmm.

kuYuri

shaunLEGEND said:
not to derail too much, but what usb adapters are you guys using for your ps2 controllers? I use the pelican ones and have never got rumble when I play ps2 games....hmmm.

Unfortunately, the Pelican adapters have been confirmed to NOT support rumble at all.

Erebus

shaunLEGEND said:

I'm using a 3logic one and rumble works with PS2 games.

Jtrizzy

Anyone care to speculate as to what 2.0 will have? I really need to be able to listen to my own music during the sports games and Motorstorm or even warhawk.

theBishop

Banned
yeah, i'm definitely not getting rumble using the Dualshock2.

But I can confirm that the new analog sticks are WAY better than they were on PS2. Even if the DS2 did rumble, I think i'd still want to use the Sixaxis.

Oh well... I'll have this game beaten long before Japan gets rumble.

Bebpo

Banned
shaunLEGEND said:

I use an old Elecom one.

rc213

I've been wondering if they will delay 2.0 along with Home since it was assumed they would be released together. I'm still hoping in-game XMB access is out before the end of the year.

Oni Jazar

rc213 said:
I've been wondering if they will delay 2.0 along with Home since it was assumed they would be released together. I'm still hoping in-game XMB access is out before the end of the year.

I was thinking the same thing. If 2.0 has HOME then they may delay it. Of course it is just a number.

consoul

The bet stands.
Unfortunately for me, I'm no longer confident that it'll scrape in before the 25th is over (you know, things slip), but it's coming before the month is out.

Looks like I'll probably see you all on the other side of the release.

nofi

consoul said:
The bet stands.
Unfortunately for me, I'm no longer confident that it'll scrape in before the 25th is over (you know, things slip), but it's coming before the month is out.

Looks like I'll probably see you all on the other side of the release.

Was a daft bet, I'm assuming you a) know directly what's going on, or b) guessed, because of the Eye.

To be fair, you're not the only one thinking something is (was?) going to happen this week.

Top Bottom