• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 of preventing piracy by removing Linux.

patsu

missile said:
Sample code? No, the libaries. Ok, let me ask you a question; what are you
wanna do on Cell to begin with?

Use OpenCV for facial recognition :)

lol

Count the all different users posting in

// ydl: Board index ‹ Architecture ‹ Playstation 3
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewforum.php?f=19&sid=4d2bcabfc7862ad18b73db97603438d3

and

//ps2 dev: PS3 Linux Development
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewforum.php?f=27&sid=756be7c32a89b41630afe312d187b9b4

and then you will see that there are many users using PS3Linux. Btw; your
question was; "... who here uses PS3 Linux?". And I pointed you at those places
just to show you that there are many user using PS3Linux.

Doesn't count. I am a member there, but I don't use PS3 Linux anymore. Look at who's still concerned now (The threads I posted, or something better).

That ps2dev.org site exists before PS3 Linux, so there are people who are not into PS3 Linux too. Only 2 PS3 Linux threads are dated today. The rest are weeks and months ago. The activity is low.

I am not happy about it, but this has been the state for the past 2-3 years. The professional organizations (R&D labs, military, banks, etc.) are better at exploiting Cell than the open source folks.

missile

patsu said:
Use OpenCV for facial recognition :)
So and your'ren't satisfied with the OpenCV implementation for Cell?

Btw; can you recognize this one;

SC31.png

patsu said:
Doesn't count. I am a member there, but I don't use PS3 Linux anymore. Look at who's still concerned now (The threads I posted, or something better).
Ah c'mon. Many people are concerned. Just count all the post in the US/EU ps blog.
You will find many who still have an interest in the OtherOS.

patsu said:
That ps2dev.org site exists before PS3 Linux, so there are people who are not into PS3 Linux too. ...
I was just referring to 'ps2dev: PS3 Linux Development' and not to all of ps2dev.

patsu

missile said:
So and your'ren't satisfied with the OpenCV implementation for Cell?

Btw; can you recognize this one;

SC31.png

Already shifted to iPhone.

Ah c'mon. Many people are concerned. Just count all the post in the US/EU ps blog.
You will find many who still have an interest in the OtherOS.

I was just referring to 'ps2dev: PS3 Linux Development' and not to all of ps2dev.

They are concerned because they are offended or feared that their rights get taken away. They don't use it to know what is the current state.

Make no mistake. This move will cost Sony in unseen ways. But they are not the only ones to blame. The open source folks at large were never really interested in Cell anyway. Sony, the academia and Cell startups did a lot, and I am grateful for their work.

jonabbey

patsu said:
Make no mistake. This move will cost Sony in unseen ways. But they are not the only one to blame. The open source folks at large were never really interested in Cell anyway.

It would have made things much more interesting for the open source folks at large if Sony/Toshiba/IBM had ever got the CBEA anywhere else.

patsu

jonabbey said:
It would have made things much more interesting for the open source folks at large if Sony/Toshiba/IBM had ever got the CBEA anywhere else.

Well... Toshiba has SPUREngine in their HDTVs, Sony and game developers invested heavily in Cell techniques albeit in GameOS, IBM did their own RoadRunner system, the universities and the military built clusters, YDL went into various commercial projects with it.

I wonder if RSX access would have made a difference.

jonabbey

JudgeN said:
I would love to know how he plans to run this CFW without roots key, this is indeed getting ridiculous.

The Cell is designed with a secure vault in a disconnected SPU for encryption/decryption, but the software for the PPU still has to run on the PPU unencrypted. Geohot's approach has got him access to the PPU layer without hypervisor protection.

If there's portions of the (PPU) firmware that is encrypted, there must also be binary SPU blobs that can decode those bits. If Geohot can get the decoding blobs to process the encoded firmware for him, he can get access to the unencrypted PPU code.

Lacking any means of accessing the root-key encrypted SPU blobs and having the SPU blobs write directly out to the video/audio output streams can protect multimedia content, but as long as PPU code has to be executed on the PPU unencrypted, there's a vulnerability in that part of the system.

jonabbey

patsu said:
Well... Toshiba has SPUREngine in their HDTVs, Sony and game developers invested heavily in Cell techniques albeit in GameOS, IBM did their own RoadRunner system, the universities built clusters, YDL went into various commercial projects with it.

I wonder if RSX access would have made a difference.

RSX access and drivers would have made the PS3 an appealing XBMC, etc., box, but Sony did not wish that to happen on their subsidized dime.

missile

patsu said:
Ah I remember.

patsu said:
They are concerned because they are offended or feared that their rights get taken away. They don't use it to know what is the current state.
Sure, but not all. Many just use PS3Linux for the sake of it. Even browsing the web
with PS3Linux is much better than under GameOS.

patsu said:
Make no mistake. This move will cost Sony in unseen ways. But they are not the only ones to blame. The open source folks at large were never really interested in Cell anyway. Sony, the academia and Cell startups did a lot, and I am grateful for their work.
Well, open source does not depend on a particular platform. There are a lot of open
source projects running under PS3Linux out of the box.

And there were attempts to use Cell to enhance various stuff, here is just an example;

// spu-medialib by Kristian Jerpetjøn
http://groups.google.com/group/spumedia/browse_thread/thread/94edf482345540e8?pli=1

He refused to continue because Sony killed the OtherOS feature for the Slim.

missile

patsu said:
... I wonder if RSX access would have made a difference.
Many graphics-heads would have joined the system.

Having the RSX enable would make a proper PS2 Emulation possible. Sony don't
like. :lol

Without RSX only those who are interested in the system itself will do anything
with it, which are far less when compared the other way around.

missile

patsu said:
Sony needs to hire these people. It needs them.
I wrote him about half a year ago. He said, he wrote a big letter to Sony crying
his heard over. The answer from Sony was short -- they don't give a fuck. If they
would, many things would look different on PS3.

It's not like that there aren't people out there who have no interest in doing stuff
for Cell, but Sony doesn't make it easy to begin with. Locking out the RSX is a
letdown for many people because so many things rely on graphics acceleration
these days.

patsu

missile said:
Many graphics-heads would have joined the system.

Having the RSX enable would make a proper PS2 Emulation possible. Sony don't
like. :lol

No. Even with RSX, PS2 emulation is non-trivial or impossible.

I wrote him about half a year ago. He said, he wrote a big letter to Sony crying
his heard over. The answer from Sony was short -- they don't give a fuck. If they

I mean get him to work on GameOS. Sony has little interest in PS3 Linux.

Mudkips said:
Reading comprehension, you don't have it.

The right to do something is good.
That something isn't right or wrong because you have the right to do it.
It is right or wrong for what it is.

You have to separate the right to do something from the act itself.
Otherwise, you lose the right to do both bad AND good things when others use the "I have the right to do it" excuse to do bad things.

People here are arguing "it's mine I'll do what I want". Hiding behind that defense just lumps all things enabled by your rights together - good and bad. The right itself is then attacked in order to remove the bad.

I'm sorry if you feel that you shouldn't have to worry about what others do, but the fact is your rights will be attacked because of the bad apples. You have to separate yourself from them, and you cannot hide behind a common defense if you wish to retain your rights.

I completely understand what you're saying. I comprehend. It's you who can't seem to understand what I'm saying. Let me just put this plainly, since you can't seem to grasp this hypothetically or with analogies: I have the right to own my purchases, no matter what I may choose to do with them, and no matter what others may choose to do with them. The manufacturer does NOT have the right to dictate what I do with my purchase.

If you disagree with that, all I can say is you're wrong. Oh, and the law (so far) disagrees with you as well.

beast786

missile said:

It's not like that there aren't people out there who have no interest in doing stuff
for Cell, but Sony doesn't make it easy to begin with. Locking out the RSX is a
letdown for many people because so many things rely on graphics acceleration
these days.

The logical question is what?

What is a reason for them to not open the RSX?

The only reason I can think of would be, that opening up RSX can cause more problem in their eyes toward piracy. Hence in their eyes whateve open RSX would gain will be far worse by losing to piracy.

racerx

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Yes, that is correct. the reasons the ps2 is very difficult to emulate is because edram in the ps2. In fact, the xbox 360 I think would have a better time emulating the ps2 than the ps3. :D

jonabbey

beast786 said:
The logical question is what?

What is a reason for them to not open the RSX?

The only reason I can think of would be, that opening up RSX can cause more problem in their eyes toward piracy. Hence in their eyes whateve open RSX would gain will be far worse by losing to piracy.

If RSX was opened up, game developers could conceivably have the option of writing 3D games for PS3 without keeping Sony in the profit-taking loop.

jonabbey

racerx said:
Yes, that is correct. the reasons the ps2 is very difficult to emulate is because edram in the ps2. In fact, the xbox 360 I think would have a better time emulating the ps2 than the ps3. :D

Very probably. The PS2's EDRAM was actually much more flexible than the 360's is, though. The PS2 had less (and presumably slower) EDRAM than the 360, but Xenos can only do certain operations with its EDRAM, whereas the PS2 could do arbitrary operations with full read-write capabilities to the EDRAM.

JudgeN

jonabbey said:
The Cell is designed with a secure vault in a disconnected SPU for encryption/decryption, but the software for the PPU still has to run on the PPU unencrypted. Geohot's approach has got him access to the PPU layer without hypervisor protection.

If there's portions of the (PPU) firmware that is encrypted, there must also be binary SPU blobs that can decode those bits. If Geohot can get the decoding blobs to process the encoded firmware for him, he can get access to the unencrypted PPU code.

Lacking any means of accessing the root-key encrypted SPU blobs and having the SPU blobs write directly out to the video/audio output streams can protect multimedia content, but as long as PPU code has to be executed on the PPU unencrypted, there's a vulnerability in that part of the system.

If what the other hacker says is true, even if he makes CFW and is able to run all this inside the PPU the PS3 has a secure booting environment the hardware crypto facility integrity checks the system with the root key. No root key, no boot as he says.

jonabbey

JudgeN said:
If what the other hacker says is true, even if he makes CFW and is able to run all this inside the PPU the PS3 has a secure booting environment using a hardware crypto facility that requires the root key to even boot the system.

But how extensive is that protection? Does the system calculate a cryptographic hash for the entire firmware and verify a signature for the entire thing before booting?

I suppose it would have to do.

missile

patsu said:
I know. But I think the currently implementation of PCSX2 could be made running
very well on PS3Linux (+RSX) with time.

patsu said:
I mean get him to work on GameOS. Sony has little interest in PS3 Linux.
Don't you think that Sony wouldn't got to do so if they don't want to? They just don't want
to invest more for the time being. That's it. Sure, they are working on something
like 3D & friends, but many people want to see more core functionality.

Massa

Terrordactyl said:
I'm sure a large portion of the twenty something million ps3 owners care about that functionality. /sarcasm

Unless they stole their PS3's it doesn't matter how many there are, they paid for every feature advertised just like everyone else.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
patsu said:

racerx said:
Yes, that is correct. the reasons the ps2 is very difficult to emulate is because edram in the ps2.

Everytime I hear this i shake my head

The PS2 GPU has lots of bandwidth roughly 48 Gbits, thats 24 Gbit each way or :

19 Gbit frame buffer + 5 gbit texture buffer -> write

19 Gbit frame buffer + 5 gbit texture buffer <- read

Although i can't remember if the above is a 50/50 split read/write, it may of been 60/40

I think it also has about 1GB/s of bandwidth to access the main RDRAM.

The RSX has:

22.4 GB/s read and write bandwidth to GDDR (or 20.8)

and

20 GB/s read to the Cell and XDR memory
15 GB/s write to the Cell and XDR memory

Conveniently that adds up to about 47-48 Gbits in 2 discrete pools, that give you roughly the same bandwith as the PS2

So I postulate, throw the texture buffer onto the RSX's GDDR and also using DXTC(texture compression), to compress the textures, which the PS2 did not natively support, should reduce your texture bandwith requirements to about 4x the size

One of the main problem seems to be that the ps2's GS could context switch on a dime, so it could go from texturing to framebuffer effects in a couple of clock cycles, context switches on a modern GPU are very expensive, so instead they use fragment programs, or as you and me know them "shaders"

The solution to me would seem to be to write a library of variable shader functions, that emulate the context switches or states of the GS (but then you may as well re-write each game :D )

Or perhaps a partial GS emulator on the SPU's that would dynamically generate (or dynamically recompile) a fragment shader based on the data passed to it from the game, the SPE would then pass the generated/translated/recompiled fragment shader onto the GPU

also to quote someone far more knowledgeable than me:

Fafalada Beyond 3d said:
the PS2 has 38.4GB bandwith to it's Frame+Z buffer, split into 19.2GB for read/write each respectively. And for vast majority of cases, a chip like

RSX will obliterate GS speed in any normal rendering, including multipass.
GS also tends to stall on waiting for geometry/texture a lot, something that RSX emulating PS2 would theoretically never have to do.

The other side of the story is rendering order of display lists, where just dumb execution of 'GS-ordered' commands could easily slow down

RSX for orders of magnitude - and working around that could ultimately boil down to the same thing about hand-optimizing games that you

said.

I should really start a thread on this.

EDIT: probably have my GB's and Gbit's mixed up somewhere up there, can't be bothered to fix it

Schrade

So I bought a 120GB PS3 Slim tonight.

I need to do the Data Transfer Utility thing from my 60 GB PS3 to the new one. I'm reading the manual for the transfer utility ( http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html ) and I am just wondering if there's anything else I need to be aware of before I do the transfer.

1) I need to pull my PS2 saves off
2) I need to connect to Home and let things get synced up
3) I need to sync my trophies

Anything else other than those I need to worry about?

Once those are done I can deactivate each account on the machine then do the transfer? (I have UK/HK/Japan/Australian accounts all tied to PSN accounts)

androvsky

I sometimes wonder if the Cell's SPUs would be fast enough to emulate the GS. They wouldn't have to re-order anything, as they could make the optimized path whatever they want. But if one or two of them are already being used to emulate the vector units, that's probably not going to work well.

Massa

Schrade said:
So I bought a 120GB PS3 Slim tonight.

I need to do the Data Transfer Utility thing from my 60 GB PS3 to the new one. I'm reading the manual for the transfer utility ( http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/transferutility.html ) and I am just wondering if there's anything else I need to be aware of before I do the transfer.

1) I need to pull my PS2 saves off
2) I need to connect to Home and let things get synced up
3) I need to sync my trophies

Anything else other than those I need to worry about?

Once those are done I can deactivate each account on the machine then do the transfer? (I have UK/HK/Japan/Australian accounts all tied to PSN accounts)

Sounds alright. For me the transfer wouldn't work until I connected to the PSN on the new system with one of my accounts.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
androvsky said:
I sometimes wonder if the Cell's SPUs would be fast enough to emulate the GS. They wouldn't have to re-order anything, as they could make the optimized path whatever they want. But if one or two of them are already being used to emulate the vector units, that's probably not going to work well.

another way I was thinking of was storing a tiled frame buffer split between the local store of each SPE, the reason being that the bandwidth on the EIB between SPE's is insane, but alas stupid idea is probably stupid, and impractical (local store is far to small for that shit).

Zoe

AleeN634 said:
All PS2 and PS1 saves will need to be manually backed up as far as I know. Only PS3 saves are covered by the utilities for some reason.

You sure? They get transferred just fine with a normal one-system back-up.

AleeN634

Zoe said:
You sure? They get transferred just fine with a normal one-system back-up.

It could be but I had problems in the past after trying to restore my machine from a repair. Now I'm obsessed with backing up saves after beating anything.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
missile said:
Ah c'mon. Many people are concerned.
The few 100 people that own(ed) a PS2 Linux kit produced a more active community then entire Linux using PS3 userbase to date.
If there are "many" people concerned, it's not because they cared about using Linux.

Agh, dunno if I'll update. On the one hand I'm curious to see about geohotz and his CFW thing, on the other hand he's an egotistical man-child who clearly feels like he needs to salvage his reputation after being beaten by Kutaragi and wants to be the hero of the hour despite no evidence to make me believe he can successfully get some sort of working CFW solution up and running, especially not in a short amount of time.

Schrade

Fuck. If it's up already does that mean I won't be able to sign into PSN to deactivate my old PS3? I'm not ready yet! Grrrr

cRIPticon

jonabbey said:
If RSX was opened up, game developers could conceivably have the option of writing 3D games for PS3 without keeping Sony in the profit-sharing loop.

Fixed for you. Oh, I know. What right does Sony have to charge developers for developing games for the console? The billions of dollars spent over the Playstation brand's life, R&D, manufacturing, etc. There is no way in hell that could be made up on console sales alone. Not a chance. Sony makes the up front investment, works to build a large enough base that developers can take advantage of, and they are compensated for this.

This has nothing to do with being a "corporate apologist" or any such nonsense, just pointing out the way it works.

KtSlime

So does anyone know what method I should take to try and get my money back from my PSN account? Being that I can't log in I can't spend it anymore, are there procedures to get it mailed to me?

ivedoneyourmom said:
So does anyone know what method I should take to try and get my money back from my PSN account? Being that I can't log in I can't spend it anymore, are there procedures to get it mailed to me?
That money is dead to you now. There won't be any refunding on that. At least you'll have some money for the next gen PSN?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay. Can someone explain to me why the fuck an update that seemingly only removes a feature from a version of a system that I do not own has been stuck downloading at 7% for 15 minutes and counting?

What does this DO for me?

Top Bottom