• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firmware Update 3.21 of preventing piracy by removing Linux.

tass0

Banned
DarkUSS said:
Where? His blog hasn't been updated.

uhhh, people have been talking with him for about an hour now on IRC, i'm not going to specify which chan but do some investigating and you'll find out.

he says he's going to buy a cam to record his video, so until then we wait...

tass0 said:
uhhh, people have been talking with him for about an hour now on IRC, i'm not going to specify which chan but do some investigating and you'll find out.

he says he's going to buy a cam to record his video, so until then we wait...
Um geohot has a video camera. He used one last week or so to show off a new untethered hack for the iPhone. Seems odd that he needs to buy one now.

jonabbey

missile said:
A note for those who wanna keep their OtherOS for longer.

Over time you may wish to install a new HDD into your PS3 to increase the
OtherOS' partition. Keep in mind that the system will force you to install a
firmware after it has formatted your disc!
Don't accidentally let the system
download / install a firmware >= 3.21, have 3.15 ready on an USB pen drive

This is only true for later model Phats. The first models had the firmware on flash RAM on the motherboard, not on the hard drive.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
sohois said:
Hey iapetus, could you clarify what EU directive it is that got you said refund - i hope to do the same with my order from GAME. Will it matter that my order was a bundle? And is there a time period after which i could not do this? - mine was a launch PS3. Thanks

EU directive 1999/44/EC is the relevant one, and also (I believe) the Sale of Goods Act in the UK.

Massa

obonicus said:
But is Sony interested in PS3Linux bringing heaven down to earth? They don't make money off it. There's no reason to believe that they'd ever make money off it.

Well, they didn't give me a PS3 for free. I paid money for it to play games and run Linux. The movies I don't care about, only watched the one that came with it (Spiderman 3) and it was crap.

megateto

Zapages said:
Some other boards that I visit are stating that GameOS has been dumped by some guy called geohotz... I don't know how true it is... But he and board is talking about Level 2 has been attained. I really don't know if to believe this or not...

I don't know if that lv2 thing you mention is the same as this one:

http://jaicrab.blogspot.com/

Despues de toda una tarde llevando un proyecto en mente, hemos podido dumpear el lv2. Hemos tenido acceso de lectura de la ultima sesion de XMB antes de entrar en Otheros.

After a whole evening rumbling about something we had in our minds, we have managed to dump the lv2. We got read access to the last XMB session before going into Otheros.

Just translation work here, I don't understand what they are talking about, sorry.

Edit: from another of the guys dealing with this project:

hemos conseguido dumpear el LV2(supervisor) obteniendo con ello el kernel de ps3,muy pronto os detallamos el dump
We managed to dump the LV2 (supervisor), getting the PS3 kernel as a result, we'll soon give you more info of the dump.

So if I installed this update (which I did) on my system that had Linux on it, what happened to that space? Do I now have 10 GB of dead space on my hard drive?

Massa

doktorpeace said:
So if I installed this update (which I did) on my system that had Linux on it, what happened to that space? Do I now have 10 GB of dead space on my hard drive?

Yes, until you decide to reformat everything.

androvsky

Dumping the GameOS just means that they decrypted it. They can't do shit with it until they can sign any altered binaries. And from the looks of it, it's a cold boot dump with bits of GameOS mixed in with linux.

obonicus

Massa said:
Well, they didn't give me a PS3 for free. I paid money for it to play games and run Linux. The movies I don't care about, only watched the one that came with it (Spiderman 3) and it was crap.

You're missing the point. I didn't say that you didn't pay for it. I'm saying that Sony almost certainly lost money on it.

And I'm not saying we should feel sorry for Sony, but rather why it'd make sense financially to remove OtherOS. Just as it makes sense for you to be upset if this affects you somehow.

obonicus

tass0 said:
I hope some of you didn't update, geohot is saying he's done it, expect a video soon. :>

also:

<mha> geohot: is it hardwarewise possible to unlock otheros support on slims etc?
<@geohot> i believe so

Geohot did say that turning on PS2 BC was also just a software switch, though.

VegaShinra

I've seen this scattered in random comments and forums:

Feel free to forward this to anyone that was affected by the 3.21 update. Twittet, Facebook, post it on news sites.

If you have been affected by Sony's 3.21 update file a complaint to the BBB and the FTC and your corresponding Attorney General.

It is very easy and completely online forms. Just go to the respective websites

www. bbb .org / us / --- click on file a complaint

www. ftccomplaintassistant .gov --- click on complaint assistant

NOTE: Delete the spaces in the URL's above

Here is the address for SCEA
Sony Computer Entertainment America, Inc.
919 E Hillsdale Blvd 2nd Floor

Are gamers trying to sue Sony for this course of action now?

Slavik81

iapetus said:
EU directive 1999/44/EC is the relevant one, and also (I believe) the Sale of Goods Act in the UK.
You might be right then, if you confine the argument to the UK. That law's vague enough that it could apply. Still, I don't think that it would be considered illegal in more than perhaps a handful of countries.

Kittonwy

Banned
tass0 said:
I hope some of you didn't update, geohot is saying he's done it, expect a video soon. :>

also:

<mha> geohot: is it hardwarewise possible to unlock otheros support on slims etc?
<@geohot> i believe so

How would you unlock otherOS support on Slims which never had otherOS support.
Indifferent2.gif

obonicus

VegaShinra said:
Are gamers trying to sue Sony for this course of action now?

I doubt Sony expected to get off this scot-free. They've probably been planning for this ever since they decided the Slim wouldn't have Linux.

androvsky said:
Except, obviously, hot air in sufficient quantity to convince Sony to remove linux.

Exactly. Why Sony would remove a feature to piss off a % of its userbase for no reason? Linux on PS3 is a entity Sony has no control over and was always massive security risk which is why RSX access was blocked out. Other than Sony releasing their own closed source linux distro their only choice is to remove the functionality. So they did, and then they ate their own shoes.

Even if Geohot is all talk it was enough to get Sony to make a move. It is just like the PSP scene, Sony removed homebrew early on due to Humma creating the Fastloader, Few years later Dark Alex arrives and not only creates CFW but him and a few others manage to fully bypass the IPL creating the Pandora. This forced Sony to make a new PSP hardware revision the 3000 series. However all of this was only ever possible due to PSP being exploited through non Sony code (tif) or from it being allowed (1.0-1.5).

In short there has been no exploits on the PS3, and the only way the security of the PS3 has been compromised so far is because of Linux. No-one has discovered any PS3 exploit yet so without Linux aslong as sony does not fuck something up their end to make the PS3 exploitable it will remain unhackable.

Kittonwy said:
How would you unlock otherOS support on Slims which never had otherOS support.
Indifferent2.gif

A slim is just new version of the same hardware the Fat's use. Anything a Fat PS3 can do a Slim one can do also providing the functionality uses hardware both versions of the console have (meaning everything except BC essentially).

jorma

is now taking requests
Slavik81 said:
You might be right then, if you confine the argument to the UK. That law's vague enough that it could apply. Still, I don't think that it would be considered illegal in more than perhaps a handful of countries.

A handful of countries that make up a guesstimated 40% of every PS3 sold.

Mudkips said:
Geohot is also just a fucking windbag.
Nothing will come from him.

are you being sarcastic? seems like geohot has never lied before, anytime he has announced a new iphone hack it turned out to be real. unless I am missing something

missile said:
Just a quick hint.

You don't have to update to fw 3.21 to use the PSN. Just enter the following
DNS -- 67.202.81.137 -- into your PS3 under Network Settings. The server fakes
the authentication and hands the connection back to your PS3 shortly thereafter.
No proxy needed.

Awesome.

wow this works great so far. thanks a bunch!

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
AmericanNinja said:
yes, sad isnt it? :(

Sad that people don't want Sony to illegally abuse their consumer rights? I'd argue it's more sad that there are some people willing to allow Sony to do that.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Slavik81 said:

The EU directive applies across the EU - all member states have had to implement it since 2002, and it's pretty specific rather than vague. :) Given how big a market Europe has always been for Sony (and how badly they've tended to treat it) that's a lot of PS3s.

iapetus
Scary Euro Man

indeed :eek:

thx for the tip, I think I will try to get some refund from amazon as well, even though my original launch model ylod'ed anyway ^^

Slavik81

iapetus said:
The EU directive applies across the EU - all member states have had to implement it since 2002, and it's pretty specific rather than vague. :) Given how big a market Europe has always been for Sony (and how badly they've tended to treat it) that's a lot of PS3s.
I suppose we'll just have to see. I still don't think they'll actually face the law and lose, but time will tell.

why is this thread still going?

i wonder how many people bitching about this actually made sort of use of linux on PS3?

you guys know that linux can be used on other devices? your linux life isn't over!

Massa

NinjaFusion said:
why is this thread still going?

i wonder how many people bitching about this actually made sort of use of linux on PS3?

you guys know that linux can be used on other devices? your linux life isn't over!

Butler.jpg

This thread is still going mainly because posts like yours keep restarting the discussion over and over again.

ps: if you know where I can buy a system other than the PS3 for Cell development for less than a few grand please let me know, ok?

Massa said:
Butler.jpg

This thread is still going mainly because posts like yours keep restarting the discussion over and over again.

ps: if you know where I can buy a system other than the PS3 for Cell development for less than a few grand please let me know, ok?

How was your Cell development going?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Massa said:
Butler.jpg

If that's what you're using it for, then throwing down the 300 bucks to buy a Slim to play games shouldn't be a big deal?

Massa

Metalmurphy said:
How was your Cell development going?

Not going at all really, it was something I did for fun and I haven't had time to play with it in a very long time. And now I won't be able to go back to it even if I make the time.

firehawk12 said:
If that's what you're using it for, then throwing down the 300 bucks to buy a Slim to play games shouldn't be a big deal?

I'm not buying new hardware from Sony anytime soon, it's more likely I'll get rid of this PS3 before it dies completely on me.

Slavik81

firehawk12 said:
In my final year, one of the electrical/computer engineering projects available was development for the PS3, optimizing something for CELL. It was one of several options like it, alongside some GPGPU stuff.

But the project almost assuredly required one of the students involved to supply the PS3. I doubt it will be an option next year after this news. $300 is a little pricey just to pick that particular final project. (And good luck finding a Linux-compatible PS3 that hasn't been updated in a year or two.)

Erasus

Its about them removing features that I paid for. I used it a bit just to mess around with it, but I still feel affected by this.

And what will they say is a "security risk" next? Maybe free PSN is dangerous, or the ability to plug in usb sticks/drives. Or maybe you need to buy special Sony branded harddrives as any 2.5HDD might be dangerous...

Majmun

I've tried to install the fw for about 15 times now. Always getting "The data is corrupted (8002F165)" error message. What is this shit.
Tried to install in from the usb. The same error.
Never had issues installing Ps3 fw before...

Ploid 3.0

Erasus said:
Its about them removing features that I paid for. I used it a bit just to mess around with it, but I still feel affected by this.

And what will they say is a "security risk" next? Maybe free PSN is dangerous, or the ability to plug in usb sticks/drives. Or maybe you need to buy special Sony branded harddrives as any 2.5HDD might be dangerous...

They control PSN psp bc, and other sony features, they can patch that stuff till the cows come home. They had no control over the other OS stuff outside of shutting it down.

Massa said:

really? i thought it was the usual let me bitch about something and nothing... do you know they even had the cheek to change the font via firmware too? imagine that!

edit... nvm.

NinjaFusion said:
really? i thought it was the usual let me bitch about something and nothing... do you know they even had the cheek to change the font via firmware too? imagine that!

tell me, also... how was that cell development of yours going?

Why do you care about this thread anyway?

To the guys routing to someone else's DNS, I hope you're considering how unwise that can be in terms of man in the middle, spoofed DNS, etc.

Top Bottom