• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firware update (2.10) coming tomorrow - Blu-Ray 1.1 support! Divx! splooooge

Danj

Hello there Eurogamer readers!

Eurogamer said:
Sony is set to launch version 2.10 firmware for PlayStation 3 tomorrow, introducing DivX playback among other new features.

That's according to the eagle-eyed NeoGAF forumites who uncovered information on the Spanish PS3 website. We've heard from independent sources close to Sony that it's accurate and not some sort of elaborate wind-up.

Mmmkay

Raist said:
huh ? I thought HP H.264 had been added a while ago already
The PS3 doesn't support it at Level 5.1 though, which it really should do since Blu-ray does. And that has proved a problem for movie enthusiasts.

hoos30

Voice changer...

Dear Sony:

Please copy the GOOD features of Xbox Live, not the WORST one ever implemented.

Thanks!

Luckyman said:
So Microsoft is now making money from every PS3. :lol

Considering that Sony co-created the CD and the DVD, Sony is making money for every 360 game sold ;)

Both companies have agreements and benefit from each other in many ways. But I guess you just don't know this.

tanod

when is my burrito
Just popped in to say that if it is supposed to go live in Europe "tomorrow," that means it's going up tonight in the United States. Expect the update around 10PM in accordance with the prophecy because that's when EVERY (not an exaggeration) firmware update has hit.

9 and a half hours left. The wait begins.

SS4Rob said:
DTS-MA requesters: What receiver are you using that would actually decode DTS Master Audio?

If DTS MA decoding is enabled in the PS3, all you need is a receiver that accepts audio through HDMI. If DTS MA is bitstreamed, then you need one of the new receivers with built in decoders.

antiloop

joesmokey said:
The PS3 can support internal files (transferred from PC to PS3) of any file size (You can transfer a 16GB file to the PS3 and it will play it). The PS3 does have a 4GB file limitation on external drives though.

I suspect this 2GB limitation is a piracy deterrent as well. Do we know yet if the 2GB limitation applies to WMV files as well, or only DivX?

hmm I didn't know that. If PS3 uses FAT32 the file size limit has to be 4 GB and if it's FAT16 it has to be 2 GB. So I guess PS3 has another FS?

Personally I think the 2 GB video size limit has to do with the limited memory but I haven't seen any bigger divx/xvid files anyway.

SS4Rob said:
DTS-MA requesters: What receiver are you using that would actually decode DTS Master Audio?
I'm using the Onkyo 905; but, any receiver that processes audio via HDMI should be able to take advantage of DTS-MA HD because when/if the PS3 gets it... it'll have to decode the audio internally and send it out via analog through HDMI. Word is that although the PS3 is HDMI 1.3, its chipset cannot send HBR (high bitrate audio). That's why no DTS-MA yet and that's why no Dolby TrueHD being processed externally as of yet.

Big discussion over at AVS about the chipset in use on the PS3. General concensous is that HBR isn't going to happen.

If DTS-MA doesn't get here by the time Master & Commander comes out in the States, I'm going to need to pick up a stand alone player against my wishes.

SS4Rob

DarkJediKnight said:
If DTS MA decoding is enabled in the PS3, all you need is a receiver that accepts audio through HDMI. If DTS MA is bitstreamed, then you need one of the new receivers with built in decoders.

Right - that is why I'm asking specifically what receivers people are using to decode DTS-MA. I mean my current 4 year old receiver can "play" DTS-MA but that is because its being dumbed down to regular DTS. I want to know what receiver people are using that decodes it properly. I've only seen one Onkyo but reviews said its HDMI upconversion is limiting and awful, both of which are not good, heh.

watership

Philanthropist said:
I'm more confident in Sony's sound engineers, to be honest.

So you're placing your bets with Sony's sound engineers, from 2007, against the sound engineers of Microsoft from 2002.

You risk taker you.

Voice Changer

20021118h.gif

This is still my favourite PA strip ever

SOLDIER

What exactly is so special about the Blu Ray 1.1 feature? I keep reading "picture in picture" but I'm not sure exactly how this is a beneficial feature. I'd like specifics, please.

tanod

when is my burrito
SOLDIER said:
What exactly is so special about the Blu Ray 1.1 feature? I keep reading "picture in picture" but I'm not sure exactly how this is a beneficial feature. I'd like specifics, please.

Director commentary in small window while movie is playing is one example.

SOLDIER said:

It was pretty much the only advantage that HD DVD had over BD. Now all that's left is the web features, which I don't see being all that important.

Great update.

SS4Rob said:
Right - that is why I'm asking specifically what receivers people are using to decode DTS-MA. I mean my current 4 year old receiver can "play" DTS-MA but that is because its being dumbed down to regular DTS. I want to know what receiver people are using that decodes it properly. I've only seen one Onkyo but reviews said its HDMI upconversion is limiting and awful, both of which are not good, heh.

When the PS3 gets the ability to decode DTS-MA and convert it to a PCM stream, anyone with a receiver that supports LPCM over HDMI will be able to receive full DTS-MA and not just the core DTS 1.5Mbit track you get over optical on receivers like yours most likely. Those of us with 2007 model receivers and higher have internal DTS-MA decoding, so we have the option of letting the PS3 just send a bitstream or send a decoded LPCM track. I have an Onkyo 805.

Kalren

M3wThr33 said:
Hoping for a stealth update of Buzz or Singstar on Hardware 60GBs. I'll let everyone know.

What's the issue with Buzz/Singstar? I was looking to buy Buzz to play with the family.

BeeDog

Some of you guys complain way too much. Only thing I can agree with is probably Voice Changer, but the others, oh man...

DivX support -> "aw fuck, I can't watch the old-ass illegal 3.11 encodes! FUCKING BLOWS!"
Blu-Ray 1.1 support, something many 1st-gen retail players won't ever have (or it will be a PITA to update the firmware -> "1.1 huh? Who gives a fucking shit? GIMME SOMETHING WORTHWHILE!!11!!!"

I'd probably beat some of your asses if I ever met you complainos on the street. :p With that said, any update is a welcome update!

SOLDIER

tanod said:
Director commentary in small window while movie is playing is one example.

Which Blu Ray movies currently do this? And will you only be able to do picture-in-picture with the features within the BR disc? Or could you maybe do picture-in-picture with a Blu Ray movie plus other stuff (saved videos on your PS3, for instance)?

Crisis

Banned
SOLDIER said:
Which Blu Ray movies currently do this? And will you only be able to do picture-in-picture with the features within the BR disc? Or could you maybe do picture-in-picture with a Blu Ray movie plus other stuff (saved videos on your PS3, for instance)?

Right now there are no Blu-ray movies that do that. I believe Sunshine early next year is the first. 1.1 is able to do a lot of things and the p-i-p is just an example of that. And you can only use p-i-p with stuff on the disc itself not the hard drive or anything.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Firewire said:
The voice changer thing should have one sound setup "Bender" than at least I can laugh at all the assholes!

Awesome.

"Haha! Compare your lives to mine and then kill yourselves!"

Chris R

How would I go about getting all of the data currently on my PS3 off the HDD, so I can install a huge ass one to store some movies/tv shows I've ripped? Or is it a no go :(

Crisis

Banned
rhfb said:
How would I go about getting all of the data currently on my PS3 off the HDD, so I can install a huge ass one to store some movies/tv shows I've ripped? Or is it a no go :(

If you have an external USB hard drive, you can use that. PS3 has a built in backup function specifically to do exactly what you just asked about.

SS4Rob said:
This is the review I was reading aboot - the 605 rather than the 905:
http://reviews.*********/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr605-black/4505-6466_7-32430579.html

How is your upconversion?

Edit: LOL - I forgot about the Sea Net ban :)

The Onkyo 875 and 905 both use HQV's Reon video processor. Basically it's as good as anything on the market up to 1080p resolution. The only processor that beats it is HQVs Realta processor and that only has an avantage because it can scale to resolutions beyond 1080p and handle some really funky cadences that don't really exist in the real world.

I LOVE my Onkyo 905. It's the best $1600 I've ever put into my home theater. I've got two rooms running off of one set of equipment using the 905's two HDMI outs. The only caveat is that it can't drive two rooms simulanteoulsy; but, that isn't an issue since one HDMI out is going to the projector and one is going to a flat panel. Oh, and the 905 has some serious amplification in it. Power enough that I don't even consider the possibillity of ever needed separate amplification. I haven't found a point where its internal amp has even begun to strain (although I have found a point where the structural integrity of my home theater room seems in question from the sound pressure levels).

The Onkyo's below the 875 & 905 offer Faroudja scaling. It is very capable of scaling to 480p; but, it sucks at going to resolutions beyond that. This is why Onkyo doesn't advertise the ability to scale to 720p which can be done via a hidden menu. These models do "transcode" analog signals (composite, S-video, component, etc) to HDMI. If you pick up one of these models, I'd let it spit everything out via HDMI and leave the scaling to your source device. These receivers are pretty good at switching and as an audio processor/amp. Not so much as a scaler.

The 875 and 905 are where the scaling action is at.

Back on subject - I want DTS-MA HD. <holds my breath like a child until Sony delivers>

watership

rhfb said:

Why don't just stream the data from your PC? There is no reason i can think of that people should keep things on their console, especially if you're just duplicating data on your PC.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
watership said:
Why don't just stream the data from your PC? There is no reason i can think of that people should keep things on their console, especially if you're just duplicating data on your PC.

The transcoding might be crap? I use just TVersity so I dunno how things work with other DLNA servers, but it converts video to MPEG1 (IIRC) while streaming to PS3 which honestly sucks compared to the original video.

+ what antiloop said :p

antiloop

watership said:

One reason is that you don't need to have your PC turned on when you are watching movies.

PS3, now one step closer to the perfect HTPC. :)

womfalcs3

Banned
I'm waiting for another video demonstration from Eric Lempel on the SCEA Blog. It's weird that there isn't an entry about it yet.

for those people who are worrying about xvid and complaining about ;-) 3.11

;-) 3.11 isn't standards compliant, while xvid is, which would mean supporting ;-) 3.11 would require extra non-standards compliance work for a few old files.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
womfalcs3 said:
I'm waiting for another video demonstration from Eric Lempel on the SCEA Blog. It's weird that there isn't an entry about it yet.

Just asked about that on the PS Blog :p

Albeit I dont think a video demo is needed for this update. Do we really need to ear Eric talking like a robot?

jonabbey

Kittonwy said:
Oh ffs Sony, IN GAME XMB MESSAGING.
angry.gif

IN

GAME

FUCKING

XMB

MESSAGING

RAWR

Indifferent2.gif

In-game messaging
Standard invite support
Blu-Ray 1.1 support
DTS-MA HD support
DiVX support
Being able to see what games my friends have been playing, even if I'm not logged in while they're playing

Two out of six isn't so bad for a .1 update. It'd be really nice to know that Sony knows about and is working feverishly on the rest, though.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The Faceless Master said:
for those people who are worrying about xvid and complaining about ;-) 3.11

;-) 3.11 isn't standards compliant, while xvid is, which would mean supporting ;-) 3.11 would require extra non-standards compliance work for a few old files.

;-)

diddlyD

Banned
this DTS:MA thing is starting to really irk me. I'm pretty sure it must be some political thing that's keeping them from implementing it. It shouldn't be that hard to add a software decoder for the format, and they've had over a year now. What's most annoying is that New Line, Lionsgate, and Fox/MGM all choose to use DTS:MA as their codec of choice for lossless sound, and that's a big chunk of the Blu-ray library. Hell, even Sony uses it occasionally, like on Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

SOLDIER

The one update I want more than anything is improved textures for PS1/PS2 games, similar to that emulator going around.

Has there been ANY word at all about improving the BC in this regard?

karasu

watership said:

It's slow

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Vaux said:
Some people here are saying Xvid is supported and kotaku is saying no Xvid.
Which is it?

I thought Divx support automatically means Xvid support as well. But dont quote me on that as I dont know shit about this encoding crap. :p

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Vaux said:
Some people here are saying Xvid is supported and kotaku is saying no Xvid.
Which is it?

Kotaku are wrong on this. Xvid is the open-source version of the DivX commercial codec and is fully complaint with DivX certified DVD players and the 360 Fall Update.

This is from the XviD wiki:
Xvid is not a video format. Since Xvid uses MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile (ASP) compression, video encoded with it is MPEG-4 ASP video (not "Xvid video") and can therefore be decoded with all MPEG-4 ASP compliant decoders. This includes a large number of media players, in particular all the ones based on the free/open source libavcodec library.

Xvid encoded files can be written to a CD or DVD and played in a DivX compatible DVD player. However, Xvid can optionally encode video with advanced features that most DivX Certified set-top players do not support. Files encoded with global motion compensation, Qpel, MPEG quantization, multiple B-frames or files that exceed the VBV limitations may not play back properly on DivX Certified hardware devices.

Top Bottom