• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Firware update (2.10) coming tomorrow - Blu-Ray 1.1 support! Divx! splooooge

Crisis

Banned
T_Tokyo2010 said:
Wow I really hope this is true, I might as well be keeping an eye on the playstation blog site just in case.

It IS true. It was on Sony's official update site for Spain. (I think it was?)

nofi

http://uk.playstation.com/help-support/ps3/guides/detail/item89434/Update-features-(ver-2-10)/

Find out what features are included in PS3 system software update 2.10.

An update to the PS3 system software was released on December 18, 2007. If you update your PS3 system, the system software version will be 2.10 and the following features will be updated. In order to download PS3 system software version 2.10, you will need a minimum 120Mb of free space on either the PS3 Hard Disk Drive (System Update) or on removable storage media (PC Update).

The PLAYSTATION 3 system software version 2.10 update includes the following:

* Voice Changer

The Voice Changer feature has been added to voice / video chat. Visit the Voice Changer guide in Help & Support under PS3 at eu.playstation.com for more details.

Using this feature, you can change the tone of a voice that is input from an audio device such as a microphone. High and low-pitched tones can each be adjusted to five preset levels. You can vary the tone when using voice / video chat under Friends.

Other new or revised features in version 2.10

Music

* You can now select [Type 3] as an option under Settings > [Music Settings] > [Bitmapping]. This bitmapping process was developed specifically for the PS3TM system to enhance audio playback.

Video

* DivX and VC-1 (WMV) have been added to the types of files that can be played. *
* Blu-ray Disc Profile 1.1 is now supported. **
* [BD Data Utility] has been added. ***

- To play VC-1 (WMV) format files, you must go to Settings > [System Settings] and set [Enable WMA Playback].
- Copyright-protected files or files that were encoded by using DivX 3.11 cannot be played. - Files that are 2GB or more cannot be played.
** You may now be able to use several additional features such as playback of two videos at the same time with Profile 1.1-compatible Blu-ray Discs. The available features vary depending on the disc.
*** The management data that is used by the Blu-ray Disc is saved.

Note:

* This system software update includes all features contained in previous versions.
* The new system software will preserve any settings previously made to the PLAYSTATION 3. Depending on the software title, you may not be able to play without first updating the PS3 system software.
* Do not perform updates using any data other than the official update data provided by Sony Computer Entertainment over a network or on disc media, and do not perform updates by methods other than those described in the product documentation or in this site. If an update is performed using data from another source, by another method, or with a PS3 system that has been altered or modified in any way, the PS3 system may not operate properly and may not be able to install the official update data. Any of these actions may void the PS3 system warranty and affect your ability to obtain warranty services and repair services from Sony Computer Entertainment.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Crisis said:
It looks like it said WMV VC-1. That's not wmv per se. VC-1 is an HD codec. We'll see if you can just put whatever .wmv file on the PS3.
VC1 = WMV9 advanced profile. Unless they voluntarily removed support for the other FOURCC codes used for all WMV9 content then the PS3 should be able to play any WMV9 content.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
McLovin said:
Cool update. I wonder what people will ask for once in game xmb comes out as well.

For me, nothing. Soundtracks and in-game invites would be great bonuses, I could do witho but having to quit a game just to read a msg is the one part of PSN that is head slappingly frustrating to me. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone come online, though "oh it would be fun to play [e.g., PES] with that person right now" but not gotten it set up b/c I didn't want to (1) quit and tap out a message and (2) wait for that person to quit and tap out a message to me. I've also ignored messages for this reason or responded too late, but I guess all that frustration is pretty self-evident.

Crisis

Banned
nofi said:
Using this feature, you can change the tone of a voice that is input from an audio device such as a microphone. High and low-pitched tones can each be adjusted to five preset levels. You can vary the tone when using voice / video chat under Friends.

Oh gee. I can't wait for this to get abused.

Crisis

Banned
Blimblim said:
VC1 = WMV9 advanced profile. Unless they voluntarily removed support for the other FOURCC codes used for all WMV9 content then the PS3 should be able to play any WMV9 content.

Oh okay. Great news then. Thank you for the clarification. I got mixed up since it specifically pointed out VC-1.

I wonder why they set the 2gb limit on the files. I could understand it for handling them over wireless connections but can't see what the issue would be if they're played locally.

Crisis

Banned
Psychotext said:
I wonder why they set the 2gb limit on the files. I could understand it for handling them over wireless connections but can't see what the issue would be if they're played locally.

Piracy deterrent.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Crisis said:
Oh okay. Great news then. Thank you for the clarification. I got mixed up since it specifically pointed out VC-1.
Well, it doesn't mean they didn't remove some stuff on purpose though. With licensing you never know what retarded thing might happen.
Psychotext said:
A 2 GB limitation is usually due to the file system being only 32 bits.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Barkley's Justice said:
Since they don't support divx 3.11 I really doubt they will support xvid. Looks like they only support the official DIVX FOURCC codes. Of course changing that code is a matter of a few seconds...

Crisis

Banned
_leech_ said:
The file size limit of a 32-bit file system is 4GB.

I hate to actually correct blimblim of all people since he's one of my favorite posters but I'm almost certain that leech is right.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
So since there's DivX support will Stage6 work? PS3's browser won't be compatible with the plugin will it?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
_leech_ said:
The file size limit of a 32-bit file system is 4GB.
Yeah my bad, but they could have the same limitation as FAT32 or something like that, signed/unsigned integer...
Or they have a botched opendml support, but that would make no sense.

SRG01

Sage00 said:
So since there's DivX support will Stage6 work? PS3's browser won't be compatible with the plugin will it?

No. You'd have to actually save the file from Stage6 and then DLNA or save it to the PS3's HDD.

careful

androvsky said:
It's a bit of a pain, but you can (oddly enough) edit the album information for games now, essentially allowing you to create whatever folders you want. I now have a PS1 folder, a PSN folder, and an Unknown folder, since I don't feel like tagging all my demos.

Noob question: how do you do this? :/

joesmokey

Blimblim said:
A 2 GB limitation is usually due to the file system being only 32 bits.
The PS3 can support internal files (transferred from PC to PS3) of any file size (You can transfer a 16GB file to the PS3 and it will play it). The PS3 does have a 4GB file limitation on external drives though.

I suspect this 2GB limitation is a piracy deterrent as well. Do we know yet if the 2GB limitation applies to WMV files as well, or only DivX?

patsu

Okay... at least I can hear the Resistance clan sing Christmas songs in Chipmunk voice >_<
DivX and BD 1.1 together is a winner :)

Aeon712

patsu said:
Okay... at least I can hear the Resistance clan sing Christmas songs in Chipmunk voice >_<
DivX and BD 1.1 together is a winner :)
Screw that we're singing Maroon 5 and you know it :D.

M3wThr33

Banned
No Divx 3.11? Lame. Everyone is scared to touch it.

:(

Hoping for a stealth update of Buzz or Singstar on Hardware 60GBs. I'll let everyone know.

Also, why bitch about the 2GB limit? It's not like it's a big deal. Most divx versions of movies end up on one OR two CDs. So that's an upper limit of 1.6GB, anyway. Well under that.

Firewire

Banned
skrew said:
newegg has 160gb for $90 and 250gb for $150

Wait for after x-mass, a friend picked up a 250GB HD for $89, before x-mass it was $149. I plan to upgrade if I can find a similar deal.

Blimblim said:
Since they don't support divx 3.11 I really doubt they will support xvid. Looks like they only support the official DIVX FOURCC codes. Of course changing that code is a matter of a few seconds...

Lots of Xvid will still work if you go by the 360 DivX thread.

But you'll still need some form of Transcode program for your PS3/360 to get everything to work(if it's anything like DivX branded Dvd players at least). Just ordinary DivX support doesn't play everything, it just makes life a little bit easier :D

For me it's Tversity all the way. All files work and are being transcoded when needed. Subtitles also works perfectly which I doubt it does on DivX for PS3/360.

M3wThr33

Banned
Xvid will play fine. They're virtually the same at this point. I have Divx branded equipment that handles it fine.

The DivX 3.11 support is more of a moral choice, though, rather than technical.

Lain

mrklaw said:
yeah, I wish sony would get with the program and give us stuff to more easily play pirated movies in HD :/

seriously though, that is unlikely to happen. They have to have some barriers in place. Not like you need to transcode them. Just gotsent them.

If its that much of a deal, just download the mpeg2 versions - PS3 plays those just fine.

What? Some people make their own encodes, and like to use .mkv instead of .mp4 as a container (since it is way better) and would like to be able to play them on PS3 (also when will they allow H.264 HP level 5+ encodes to work?). And it is not like pirated HD movies don't come out in .mp4 containers.

_leech_ said:
Hope this update includes some backward compatibility fixes. I needs my Fire Pro!

Same here.

With the 40GB PS3 being the main SKU now they would be scaling back/stopping backward compatability.

Hope Yakuza 2 works when eventually released.

Nino

*LOVES* Bob Marley
Hai guys, I recently made a little Linux server, in preparation for this update I'd like to enable a Media Server thingy. What's the best Linux Media Server application that's compatible with PS3s?

gcubed

M3wThr33 said:
No Divx 3.11? Lame. Everyone is scared to touch it.

:(

Hoping for a stealth update of Buzz or Singstar on Hardware 60GBs. I'll let everyone know.

Also, why bitch about the 2GB limit? It's not like it's a big deal. Most divx versions of movies end up on one OR two CDs. So that's an upper limit of 1.6GB, anyway. Well under that.

whats wrong with Singtar on 60's? I've been playing it fine for a few weeks (havent tried disc switching if thats what its in reference to)

Raist

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
x264 "High Profile" ...While its not major, the enthusiast community has moved to it. Producing PS3 capable encodes with it makes quality suffer.

huh ? I thought HP H.264 had been added a while ago already

Top Bottom