• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 FW 1.6 Thread. (Out now, updated feature list in first post)

kaching said:
Not so fast...nothing stopping them from continuing to disable it for 20GB models.

Nothing stopping them from disabling it on the 60gb model either . . . except that it would be really stupid for them to do that.

DrXym

Blimblim said:
Who here would let a PS3 (or worse a 360) ON all the time? I sure wouldn't considering how much heat its producing even when idle :/

I agree. I sure hope that the PS3 can reside in some lower power standby state without having the GPU, HD, BD and other components running full tilt.

What would be really cool is "wake on lan" functionality but I don't see that being practical for the large number of users stuck behind firewalls, NATs, dynamic IP addresses etc.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
spwolf said:
lol, why would they? So 20GB owners cant purchase PSP stuff from the store?
Thats pretty funny.
Are we talking about the same thing here? Remote Play. Nothing to do with the PS Store.

speculawyer said:
Nothing stopping them from disabling it on the 60gb model either . . . except that it would be really stupid for them to do that.
Right, because the reason they only offer the feature in the 60GB model is to enhance the perception of its value over the 20GB model. It's not like they couldn't have offered LAN-based pairing from the start for the 20GB model, to complement the adhoc pairing via wifi that the 60GB offered. You certainly don't need to get WAN-based remote play working first to enable that.

antiloop

I thought this was good news? Certainly doesn't seem that way when I read the comments in this thread.

Oh.. wait it's a PS3 thread with good news. NVM. ;)

Wollan

Blimblim said:
Who here would let a PS3 (or worse a 360) ON all the time? I sure wouldn't considering how much heat its producing even when idle :/

Maybe it's in sleep mode like the Wii (with it coming alive to deliver whatever media before going to sleep again). Next week will tell.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Onix said:
It is on all the time though (standby).

It's possible they have devised some sort of wake-on-LAN and go back to stand by for this feature.
Standby isn't at all the same thing as being idle, it's just merely using enough power for the red led and to monitor the ON button and bluetooth. Every "important" component is down.
I guess a wake on lan is definitely possible, but I for one don't want to leave any of the next-gen systems on when I'm not here to monitor them. Call me paranoid, but with this much heat being outputted (even if the PS3 itself stays lukewarm), I certainly wouldn't dare let it power on without me being there.
Heck, I wouldn't leave my apartment with a 360 on for more than 5 minutes, I trust the PS3 hardware (a lot) more but I'm going to do it.
It's just terrible how little I trust these next-gen systems.

Norse

Blimblim said:

speculawyer would...hell, his 360 is online 24/7 it seems. :lol :lol :lol :lol

10,000+ achievement points too...the bastage!

spwolf

kaching said:
Are we talking about the same thing here? Remote Play. Nothing to do with the PS Store.

Right, because the reason they only offer the feature in the 60GB model is to enhance the perception of its value over the 20GB model. It's not like they couldn't have offered LAN-based pairing from the start for the 20GB model, to complement the adhoc pairing via wifi that the 60GB offered. You certainly don't need to get WAN-based remote play working first to enable that.

yes... we are talking about connecting PSP to PS3, via network.
And no, it is not as simple as just offering it.

Only extra value of PSP connecting to PS3 is for Sony promoting PSP.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
spwolf said:
yes... we are talking about connecting PSP to PS3, via network.
So why were you talking about buying stuff from the PS Store?

Only extra value of PSP connecting to PS3 is for Sony promoting PSP.
Yet they chose to enable remote play via an adhoc wifi connection only, which happens to favor the 60GB model. If they had wanted to enable it for both models, they could have offered infrastructure pairing within a home network instead.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I will be incredibly pissed off if there is no in game XMB. The OS/system features are just not ready for primetime with the message Sony (and furthermore, Microsoft) is trying to communicate. I don't think it's at all acceptable to have to leave a game to have to check messages. Why can't I see my friends list from anywhere? It just seems so damn conflicting.

True, background downloading is nice, but I don't really need that...I need the features that will enhance my game experience.

Remote play is total garbage IMO, I have no idea what you would use it for.

Bebpo

Banned
Blimblim said:
Standby isn't at all the same thing as being idle, it's just merely using enough power for the red led and to monitor the ON button and bluetooth. Every "important" component is down.
I guess a wake on lan is definitely possible, but I for one don't want to leave any of the next-gen systems on when I'm not here to monitor them. Call me paranoid, but with this much heat being outputted (even if the PS3 itself stays lukewarm), I certainly wouldn't dare let it power on without me being there.
Heck, I wouldn't leave my apartment with a 360 on for more than 5 minutes, I trust the PS3 hardware (a lot) more but I'm going to do it.

Yes.

Personally I wouldn't mind leaving them on 24/7 assuming I was home. The second I step out the door, the X360/PS3 are OFF. I will not let them burn my home down while I am out.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
FYI if the PS3 draws 200 watts at idle and you leave it on 24/7, we're talking $170 per year at the national average price of electricity.

and thats almost high enough a difference to pay for the 360 power and 1 yr of xbox live. :D

Mrbob

Y2Kevbug11 said:
I will be incredibly pissed off if there is no in game XMB. The OS/system features are just not ready for primetime with the message Sony (and furthermore, Microsoft) is trying to communicate. I don't think it's at all acceptable to have to leave a game to have to check messages. Why can't I see my friends list from anywhere? It just seems so damn conflicting.

True, background downloading is nice, but I don't really need that...I need the features that will enhance my game experience.

Word

+11111one1one111one111

Chris_C

Blimblim said:

Well, when I first got my PS3 it stayed on for 3 days straight! Now it's usually on for at least 24 hours at a stretch, anyone on my friends list can attest to that. Heck, I usually have it playing something when I go to sleep. I'll let you know if I burn to the ground:lol

Y2Kevbug11 said:

It's far from proven that the majority of the console market really cares about extended matchmaking/community features, so what we're seeing is different approaches being taken to determine what they *are* most interested in. And isn't that what hardware competition is good for, after all? To allow us to see different approaches and make a choice as to which we prefer?

hyonoid

And blu-ray in 720p ?
tomanescio.gif

Upscalling 1080i for tv´s without 720p native ?
cry2.gif

downloading while playing a game or watch a movie etc ?
alborghetti21zj.gif

I waiting for this in my future PS3, i´ll pick up one in may.
neneon.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
beermonkey@tehbias said:
It's far from proven that the majority of the console market really cares about extended matchmaking/community features, so what we're seeing is different approaches being taken to determine what they *are* most interested in. And isn't that what hardware competition is good for, after all? To allow us to see different approaches and make a choice as to which we prefer?

I don't really think "visible friends list" counts though. How can you not have that? There absolutely needs to be some equivalent to what Microsoft offers here on the Playstation side, and I pretty much feel that way because Sony's own implementation suggests it should be there. Why do I need to know I got a message from Beamber, let's say, if I can't actually check that message until I quit? What if he was asking if I wanted to play Resistance?

Come on! This is basic stuff!

The Jer

Blimblim said:

Patsu

IIRC, He hasn't turned his PS3 off since he got it (around launch).

Norse said:
speculawyer would...hell, his 360 is online 24/7 it seems. :lol :lol :lol :lol !

Mostly playing DVDs to my toddler daughter . . . I'm such a bad parent. It does get a lot of hours in though, that is probably why I've had two 360s die on me.

Norse said:
10,000+ achievement points too...the bastage!

Yeah, a lot of cheap points though . . . College Hoops 2K6 that I played for about 20 minutes. Prey. King Kong.

I earned my 1000 on Tomb Raider though.

Pimpwerx

I run my laptop 24/7. I've run all my PCs 24/7. I think my last PC drew more wattage than a PS3. I think I'll be fine running mine 24/7. Remote play is what I've been itching to hear about. PLEASE, can anyone confirm if this is gonna be supported by the 20GB model? If so, I might have to jump on the next one I see before they disappear from retail completely. I'm sure I'd be able to find one squirreled away somewhere, but I don't want to go with the Core unless it supports Remote Play over WAN. My 4GB stick has no place for vids at present. I'd like to save all of it for games and stream anime from the PS3. Awesome if true. :) PEACE.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I'm no green eco freak at all but JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE, 200 WATTS.

Excessive energy consumption is not something to be proud of. This thread could give you the idea it was.

Mine went to the shop with dead disc drive. I really never felt like it was getting hot before. But now I honestly worry about it. The ps3 IMO gets hot, as to be expected, its never put out any heat thats made me even think about taking my hand off it, but I would say its hot. I used mine 6-8 a days every days for 3 months, I watched all my dvd, BD and psone, 2 games on it. despite being worried because my ps3 DID go to repairs, I think you need to worry about overusing the drive way before any overheating issues occur

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
reilo said:
Or it's just Earth going into a heat cycle like it has done for the past few million years... but that's a topic for another day.

You should win an award for having the balls to say that with so many paranoid people around nowadays. By the way, they should change it to Global Cooling, because if the icecaps keep melting, we'll have another ice age, not a nice warm up like people think.

A wake on LAN would be awesome for any console. Tell your superiors Stinkles.....somehow, make it so!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Y2Kevbug11 said:

Yeah I'm ****ing pissed too about Sony not talking more about in-game XMB access. The shit is the #1 thing I want right now that's not a game for the system!

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I think this is an awesome feature. I'll be able to keep my portfolio on my PS3 whenever I go out and just bring my psp. Love it.

Bad_Boy said:
I told you I was serious on the first page. :lol

Dead serious. Serious as an IRS audit, ya'll.

Every time I've ever booted my PS3, his machine is on. It's crazy. I wonder how many invites he gets a day that go ignored?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Pimpwerx said:
I run my laptop 24/7. I've run all my PCs 24/7. I think my last PC drew more wattage than a PS3. I think I'll be fine running mine 24/7. Remote PEACE.

Nobody wants to hear that smart talk Pimp.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
elostyle said:

Excessive energy consumption is not something to be proud of. This thread could give you the idea it was.

But now we're playing with power, super power!

The Jer

Pristine_Condition said:
Dead serious. Serious as an IRS audit, ya'll.

Every time I've ever booted my PS3, his machine is on. It's crazy. I wonder how many invites he gets a day that go ignored?

:lol

He's got to have so many Resistance messages and invites.

I think I sent him two or three party invites - for Resistance - yesterday.

Pimpwerx

mckmas8808 said:
Yeah I'm ****ing pissed too about Sony not talking more about in-game XMB access. The shit is the #1 thing I want right now that's not a game for the system!
To add to that, maybe they could also get this feature running on the PSP @ the same time too. I agree, this is a feature I really, really want. Just for stuff like file management really. I know it should be possible too, since a lot of OS functions are integrated into the games. All file-handling uses the XMB interface, as does the network connection. Why can't we get access to other stuff like the music folder at the same time? It's currently the biggest gripe I have about the PSP, and I'm sure it would be even worse for the PS3 since that's gonna be my media hub. I would like that ironed out by the time I get a PS3, but I can rest easy now knowing that the most important feature has been implemented...at least guaranteed for the 60GB model. PEACE.

gth

Neo Member
Y2Kevbug11 said:

What?! Accessing all your MP3's, pictures and movies stored on your PS3 from any hotspot in the world is awesome!!

consoul

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Remote play was garbage. 1.6 gives it the functionality it needs to stop being a gimmick and start becoming useful.

noonche

Y2Kevbug11 said:

The PSP's combination of video and music is one of the reasons I take it on long trips. If this remote-play lets me download new movies and music at each wireless hotspot I come too (say an airport) then it'll be great. Unfortunately, remote-play does seem to hint at streaming-only...

dfyb

Banned
v1cious said:
he has a point though. people people keep pushing location free... but is it really safe to just leave the console on for long periods of time? look how quickly the 360 overheats.
this isn't 360 we're talking about. this is ps3.

i've left my gamecube and ps2 on for a matter of weeks with no issues. computers can run for extended periods of time too. just because 360 might have problems doesn't mean other consoles will.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
reilo said:
Hrmm. I get full download speeds from my PS3 -- then again, my router and the PS3 are only 2m apart. It really depends on how far your PS3 from your wi-fi router is, and how much noise there is in your house. I know that I have constant troubles with the Wi-Fi PC downstairs -- and I have been through two different Wi-Fi cards already.

What are your download speeds? Mine are around 580kb/sec for my PC, X360, and the Wii while for teh PS3, they clock in around 100kb/sec. What router are you using? My PS3 is about 8 feet from my router in a direct path of the antenna.

J-Rzez

Blimblim said:

The telling factor is how hot one console ITSELF get's hot, while the other is hot only where the air is being expelled from...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
elostyle said:

You probably wouldn't be happy at my house then, at least 1 pc and 1 server are running 365 a year, my laptop is usually on as well. Plus we're all lights in the house are on when we are home in the evenings ppl.

antipode

This thread is why I won't be leaving my PS3 on as a media server or a Home server.

Is having friends over to watch movies in Home while you're sleeping kind of cool? Yes. Is it worth $15+ a month in electricity? Hell no. (At the overage rate in San Francisco it would cost $45 a month.)

They need to fix putting the PS3 in a low-power state. It's idiotic for people to spend several multiples on wasted electricity what it would cost Sony to just host dedicated servers.

KTallguy

Banned
I'm very happy that I can listen to my mp3s from a wireless hotspot now :)
True, it's slightly gimmicky, but it's also very cool.

And people talking about wattage and whatnot are probably the same people who leave their PCs on 24/7. Double standards FTL.

Aeon712

new xmb display options (custom backgrounds?)
Hopefully, besides being annoyed that I can't answer messages while online in Resistance is the lack of backgrounds since the PSP can do it. I'd also like my music to be better grouped, I'd add more if it wasn't in such a long list.

Top Bottom