• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 games appearing to be purchased in the PS4 store (£7.99, £4.99...) with the PSNow label

yurinka

Source:

Last year Sony mentioned on an investor relations meeting some next gen long term plans for PS Now.

In addition to support '1080p and beyond resolutions', 'improve quality of contents', 'leverage existing capacity', and 'strengthen marketing support', they planned to grow beyond the 5M subs. milestone via portable and static clients, new entitles models, next gen hardware and next gen games and evolved services.

One of the ideas was to include a third option to purchase games for streaming, as a 3rd option in addition to the typical retail copy or digital download copy. They mentioned that this idea was for people who don't have the console. I thought they were talking about selling PS4 or PS5 games to people with these consoles, but I see they also seem to do that to offer PS3 games via streaming to PS4 (and I assume) PS5 players too.

Maybe the idea is in addition to have the 800+ games on PS Now subscription, to allow people to buy only specific ones with a single payment (in a Stadia way) instead of being paying the fee and without being limited to that game being removed or not from the subscription. Who knows, maybe this allow someone without a PS4 or PS5 to buy a PS5 only game at launch to play it via streaming in any device supported by PS Now like PC, phones or if in the future they buy a PS console, in console.

image.png

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/sony-ir-playstation-now-cloud-game-streaming-no-console/
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/irday/pdf/2019/GNS_E.pdf

We saw that PS5 now has crazy PSN download speeds, unlike in PS4. This, mixed with the extra latency reduction coming from wifi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1 and the better compression that can be decompressed by hardware, I assume we'll see big improvements in PS5 regarding PS Now and Remote Play. So maybe the PS Now subscription or purchasing PS3 games for streaming may be a decent option to play PS3 games in PS5 (for people with fast internet, no data caps and living in countries supported by PS Now).

Hey my tweet was threadworthy 😀

I discovered this last night when I was checking Killzone Shadowfall on the PS Store on my PS4.

Further context,
  • I noticed that not all PS Now PS3 games are showing prices, for example Red Dead Redemption did not have a price.
  • Not all games were £7.99, I think Journey was £4.99.
  • These are different SKUs from normal and if you already own the game digitally (I own Journey digitally on PS3 & PS4) the price shows regardless
  • Price only appears in the listing, when you click into the game it just shows the option to play on PS Now (I'm a PS Now subscriber so not sure what it would say otherwise)

Anyway, interesting stuff. Let's see what comes of it 👍

Last edited:

reksveks

Uhh, PS Now has been a thing for almost seven years. It's the other way around.
As in this new commercial offering. I know psnow has been around for ages and was built up their purchase of Gaikai.

As I have understood it, it was a Netflix like subscription though?

IIRC, this was possible at PS4 prior to the subscription model, no?

Streaming is the solution to get around emulation issues, but it will always have drawbacks and is vastly inferior to native, local rendering.

TBH, thereis only a list of 50 or so games I’d lift a finger to play again from PS3, so I’m more than content if Sony wants to keep the existing model of remaking or remastering alive.

Unknown?

Now used to let you rent individual games but buying individual games is way better than subscribing. Gamepass should follow.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
As in this new commercial offering. I know psnow has been around for ages and was built up their purchase of Gaikai.

Ohh, as in the ability to actually buy individually. Sorry. Yeah, I think buying them is new, I think you used to be able to rent individually though.

yurinka

You wish. PS Now is much worse than playing the games natively on PS3.
We saw lighting fast download speeds on PS5. If they improved the PSN servers very likely they will have improved -or will do it soon- PS Now speed and latency. Combined with reduced latency of the Dual Sense -PS5 has Bluetooth 5.1 and USB 3.2 gen 2, both reduce latency- and wifi 6, I assume the PS5 experience with PS Now will be way better.

Obviously never will be like in a native PS3, but now it should be way closer.

Now used to let you rent individual games but buying individual games is way better than subscribing. Gamepass should follow.
It isn't renting a game for PS Now, it's purchasing a game for PS Now.

The subscription would be to rent 800+ games for PS Now.

Last edited:

reksveks

Ohh, as in the ability to actually buy individually. Sorry. Yeah, I think buying them is new, I think you used to be able to rent individually though.
Ahh, didn't know that there was a rent option. It depends on price in terms of what I would prefer. I remember the good old days of renting games for 3 quid for 3/4 days.

wipeout364

Actually it started as a rental service for PS3 content only with ridiculous pricing but this model collapsed. Sony then had a bunch of content removed and transitioned to a subscription service.

The only BC with PS3 i care about is whether i can put my NCAA games into the PS5 and play them (even with only the ps3 performance) in my living room (ps3 moved with the old tv into the bedroom).

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood

I discovered this last night when I was checking Killzone Shadowfall on the PS Store on my PS4.

Further context,
  • I noticed that not all PS Now PS3 games are showing prices, for example Red Dead Redemption did not have a price.
  • These are different SKUs from normal and if you already own the game digitally (I own Journey digitally on PS3 & PS4) the price shows regardless
  • Price only appears in the listing, when you click into the game it just shows the option to play on PS Now (I'm a PS Now subscriber so not sure what it would say otherwise)

Kokoloko85

Still guessing the only way to play it is streaming it...
As good as PS now is, I want to download it and play it like PS4 games.

Still no reason why the PS1 games on the PS3/PSP/PS vita store arent available on PS4/PS5.... So much money to be made but they refuse to do it. So dumb

Same as Wii/Wii U virtual console games arent available on Switch

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That's pretty ballsy if they don't force you to test/play a demo or something first.

That's how Nintendo does it on the Switch streaming games.

yurinka

Further context,

Nice to see you here. Added this extra info to the OP

That's pretty ballsy if they don't force you to test/play a demo or something first.

That's how Nintendo does it on the Switch streaming games.
PS4 and PS5 include a PS Now free trial period for the subscription, I don't know if these games too.

Still guessing the only way to play it is streaming it...
As good as PS now is, I want to download it and play it like PS4 games.

Still no reason why the PS1 games on the PS3/PSP/PS vita store arent available on PS4/PS5.... So much money to be made but they refuse to do it. So dumb

It's impossible to emulate PS3 properly in current hardware. In PC emulators some games work very well specially in powerful hardware but most of the games don't work or don't run properly.

I'd like to see these digital PS1 games back to PS4 and PS5. Let's hope they add them. Specially if you don't need to buy them again since all were crossbuy between PS3, PSP and Vita. But maybe their team is really busy right now with the PS5 OS and will be for a while, and maybe there's licencing issues too. Who knows, maybe they think that the most demanded ones already are available via remasters and remakes and that the work they would need wouldn't be profitable, or that the store is already too crowded so they don't want to decrease more the visibility for new games.

Last edited:

Quasicat

[*]These are different SKUs from normal and if you already own the game digitally (I own Journey digitally on PS3 & PS4) the price shows regardless

This is what I was wondering. I have a new PS3 I bought in April since I really didn’t think PS5 would play them. It was nice logging in and seeing the hundreds of games, spanning three generations, that I bought over the last 15 years. It’s not like these companies just forget that I bought the games in the first place.

vkbest

So Sony is allowing to buy a game that s currently stream only. Ok.

I'm sure when PSNow first released, you could rent a game for several days, a month, etc or even buy. After they removed that option and you only could play subscription games.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Nice to see you here. Added this extra info to the OP

PS4 and PS5 include a PS Now free trial period for the subscription, I don't know if these games too.

It's impossible to emulate PS3 properly in current hardware. In PC emulators some games work very well specially in powerful hardware but most of the games don't work or don't run properly.

I'd like to see these digital PS1 games back to PS4 and PS5. Let's hope they add them. Specially if you don't need to buy them again since all were crossbuy between PS3, PSP and Vita. But maybe their team is really busy right now with the PS5 OS and will be for a while, and maybe there's licencing issues too. Who knows.

I dont see them bringing them over. They had 7 years to do it with PS4 and nothing :(
I remeber even at a certain presentation they mentioned PS Now having PS1 and PS2 games.... never mentioned again

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Yeah I'm aware; they should force you to sign up for that trial before buying.

Huge swaths of people aren't going to get a good experience out of PSNow.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
dude i got like 150 ps3 games on disc. just let me fucking play those disc on my ps5.. srsly sony

Reactions: GHG

yurinka

Huge swaths of people aren't going to get a good experience out of PSNow.
Yes. But well, at least now by highly improving PSN speeds, adding wifi 6 (specially if using a wifi 6 router or at least a good wifi 5 one), bluetooth 5.1 and who knows if also using the hardware decompressor to use a better image quality and resolution or bitrate with maybe a better codec, PS Now should experience a big quality boost on PS5.

Sure, people should use wired LAN cable connection, fast and reliable internet connections, have a good and properly configured router and so on and to have relatively close a PSNow datacenter or at least to be in a country supported by PS Now. But well, very little Sony can do here other than to keep increasing the number of datacenters and supported countries, something they mentioned as one of their PS Now priorities.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Does that really cover the cost of streaming though?

Self

I'm sure when PSNow first released, you could rent a game for several days, a month, etc or even buy.

I'm pretty sure that 'buying' was never an option on PSNow. Personally speaking I would never buy a streaming-only game. Never.

IntentionalPun

Yes. But well, at least now by highly improving PSN speeds, adding wifi 6 (specially if using a wifi 6 router or at least a good wifi 5 one), bluetooth 5.1 and who knows if also using the hardware decompressor to use a better image quality and resolution or bitrate with maybe a better codec, PS Now should experience a big quality boost on PS5.

Where are you getting that PSNow is going to go above 720p or change codecs?

yurinka

Where are you getting that PSNow is going to go above 720p or change codecs?
In the OP you have a Sony IR meeting document from last year saying that as their 'Medium term' plans included to support '1080p and beyond, improve quality of content, maximize off-console opportunity, leverage existing capacity and strengthen marketing support', plus mentiioning for the next gen this 3rd way of purchasing games, for streaming. Seems they are implementing now that 3rd way of purchaing games to 'maximize off-console opportunity'.

As I remember there was another similar Sony IR document mentioned the codec too. They also recently updated Remote Play PC app, now features 1080p for both PS4 and PS5. And well, they will release a next gen console this week that supports up to 8K and supports PS Now. But well, to stream PS3 games 1080p will be more than enough.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

In the OP you have a Sony IR meeting document from last year saying that as their 'Medium term' plans included to support '1080p and beyond, improve quality of content, maximize off-console opportunity, leverage existing capacity and strengthen marketing support', plus mentiioning for the next gen this 3rd way of purchasing games, for streaming. Seems they are implementing now that 3rd way of purchaing games to 'maximize off-console opportunity'.

As I remember there was another similar Sony IR document mentioned the codec too. They also recently updated Remote Play PC app, now features 1080p for both PS4 and PS5. And well, they will release a next gen console this week that supports up to 8K and supports PS Now. But well, to stream PS3 games 1080p will be more than enough.
Ah gotcha; yeah I see the "medium term" slide talks about 1080p.

I messed around with PS Now on PC a while back but the 720p just didn't cut it for me.

This!
I'm pissed that they could emulate both PS1 and PS2 on PS3 but they couldn't do it on 4/5? And it's not a matter of licensing either because all those games in the PS1/PS2 classics section in the PS store are still sold to this day! I just bought SMT Devil Summoner 1 last month!

I know their market research shows that it's not worth it for them, but FFS when you still sell those games on PS3 i don't see why you couldn't emulate both machines (and even the PS3) when you have this vastly more powerful machine and you could make some more extra cash from it.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

This!
I'm pissed that they could emulate both PS1 and PS2 on PS3 but they couldn't do it on 4/5? And it's not a matter of licensing either because all those games in the PS1/PS2 classics are still sold to this day! I just bought SMT Devil Summoner 1 last month!

I know their market research shows that it's not worth it for them, but FFS when still sell those games on PS3 i don't see why you couldn't emulate both machines (and even the PS3) when you have this vastly more powerful machine and you could make some more extra cash from it.

There market research must be BS.
PS3 sold 80 million units. PS4 has sold close to 120. There bound to make some money with the amount of people on the PS4/PS5 and I doubt it will cost them much To bring it over.

I think a petition and mass tweet should be done lol

johntown

Banned
I have now interest in this until at a minimum they allow them to be played a higher than their native resolutions. That means emulating them. We already know they can. Don't know why they won't?

There market research must be BS.
PS3 sold 80 million units. PS4 has sold close to 120. There bound to make some money with the amount of people on the PS4/PS5 and I doubt it will cost them much To bring it over.

I think a petition and mass tweet should be done lol
Remember "#buildingthelist" lol, I've no love or hate towards Jim Ryan but i'm pretty sure he would shoot down any attempet of emulating anything pre PS4 unless it's on PS Now.

Top Bottom